Carson-Newman University Top Questions

When I was in high school I was always focused on getting the best grades and maintaining honor roll. That might not be the best mindset though. We should be focusing on learning instead of achieving a certain grade. Enjoy learning and having the opportunity to learn, because there are many people in the world that would happily be in your shoes. You should try your hardest with school, and if you do so then be proud of whatever you earn. Know that in a few years it won’t matter what grade you got in a certain class, so don’t stress about it. That’s another thing I’m still learning. I recently got a D in one of my college classes, and part of me is still stressing from it, because I have never gotten a D before. I should be proud of that D though, because I worked hard for that D. I went to many study sessions to try to understand the concepts better, took practice tests, and made study guides. Honestly I worked harder for that D; than I did the classes I got a B in.

Jennae

Do not make decisions based on friends, significant others, or money. Do what is best for you. Do what you dream. Take others into consideration, but never let them make decisions for you. Apply for every scholarship you can find because college is expensive. Find a great transferrable job. Work as much as you can to save money. Spend your graduation money wisely. Do not give up on your dreams no matter the obstacles and trial you may face.

Tori

To highschool Tori. Do not stress yourself out over the little things, they do not make a difference in the long run. Do not worry about having your entire future planned out, take life day by day; it's more enjoyable that way. Prepare yourself for making new friends that you can depend on and branch outside of your comfort zone; it's alright to be scared, but don't let that limit possibilities. Learn how to deal with conflict. The world does not revolve around you and the world is not all rainbows and ponies. You will encounter people you do not get along with, but you need to learn the best way to approach conflict. It is time for you to stop avoiding confrontation and face things like an adult. Sometimes you have to be the bigger person. Swallowing your pride is not fun, but thats usually what it takes to solve conflicts. You can do this, this life things isn't as hard as everyone says it is. Finally, enjoy every day you are given. It is truly a gift to be in college and an athlete and do not take that for granted.

Glory

Don't underestimate your abilities. Don't hold back . You only live once and doubting yourself only wastes time. Loosen up! There are about to be a lot of people that are different from you in the future. Go with it. You can learn a lot from them. Don't be afraid that experiancing other cultures and veiws will cause you to loose your own. It won't. Its all a part of building your own identity. Don't get carried away by this new freedom though. Practice good study habits early, don't assume that you can just improvise your way through. Once you've created how you study, its hard to break the habit. Learn to aprecieate the wisdom of those in positions of authority, even though you can't see it in the moment, their decisians are often what benefits you in the long run. It may not seem fair at the time, but they want you to do your best work, not acceptable work. Finally, don't be afraid to have fun, but be smart. Life is all about balance.

Myrissa

I came to college thinking that I was going to go for Sport Medicine, I guess mainly because I knew they made amazing money. But that did not work out. And then I thought about majoring in my favorite subject from elementry school and high school which is History and even thought about teaching it. But that didn't make me happy either. It wasn't until I took a semester off to particpate in the Disney College Progam Spring 2014 at Walt Disney World that I knew that I would not be happy unless I was doing something within the Entertainment field. So that's what I am now doing. I am majoring in Film and I am so happy. I would tell myself to go in undecided and let God show you the rest of the way to your happiness. And he did. And I am truly finally happy with myself.

kaitlyn

The first thing I would tell myself is to skip community college and go straight for a 4 year university or college. I would tell myself that all of the struggles I had experienced up until that point were nothing compared to what I would face later. I would tell myself that it is very possible to run out of financial aid (as I have done this semester) and when that happens DO NOT GIVE UP. I would tell myself that there won't be anyone to help you but you, and you will feel like giving up. I would explain that at any given point you will feel like you are standing on a line between giving up and seeing just how much more you can take, and no matter what, you have to keep pushing. I would tell myself it will take longer to get your degree that what you originally planned, and that it will cause much more trouble, but to keep pushing and trying as hard as you can.

If I could give myself advice as a high school senior, I would tell my shy younger self to not be afraid to get involved with campus activities. I would say, "You need to be bold and unafraid of what other people think about you." My high school self was shy . Even though I have grown into a more out going person, I would tell myself to get involved in everything I could. I would tell myself to stay in the dorms and tough it out. Making friends that will last a life time is something Carson-Newman is known for as wel as education. The friends you make in college can influence the way they rest of your life turns out.

Meagan

I have gotten so much out of my experience in this first year at Carson-Newman. I have met so many good friends that are much like me. I love being at a school where I can see my teachers around campus and they will know me by name. I can't number the times that my teachers have asked me and the rest of the class over for dinner at their houses. It is a joy to be at a such a great place where I can study, learn, and grow in my faith the way I want to. I absolutely love it here at Carson-Newman! However, the tuition is extremely expensive, and I have trouble scraping up the money to make it through the semester. I would love to continue here, but if I run out of funds I may have to transfer to a cheaper college closer to where I live. The money from this scholarship would be greatly appreciated and used to pay for a quality education at a wonderful school. Thank you.

I feel that I have gained a lot out of my college experience. I have formed relationships that I know will last a lifetime and truly feel like I have a family here. I feel that through college, I have gained a lot of valuable information for my future career. I am an Interior Design major and I now feel more prepared than ever. I have wanted to be an Interior Designer since second grade, and attending this college is allowing me to make my dreams come true. I love being here and I almost don't want it to end, but I know that it has prepared me for the better things to come. College has made me more aware of other cultures, religions, beliefs, and lifestyles. But most importantly, it has taught me about myself and I have gained a new self-confidence.

There are many things that I have gotten out of my college experience. I have been in college for a year and a half, and I have already learned so much. When I first started college in 2009 I did not know what to expect and I did not take it as seriously as I should have. This resulted in me losing my scholarship I had, and making it a huge financial burden on my whole family. After that, I started to really take my classes serious and I started to really enjoy going to school. What I felt about college has completely changed and attending college so far has made me a better person. It has given me a better work ethic, and it has made me want to better myself. I plan on continuing college and earning a Bachelor's Degree. College has been so valuable for me because I will be the first one in my immediate family to graduate from college, and that is extremely important to me. My college experience has been great so far, and I cannot wait to continue my education and further myself through continuing college and earning a degree.

I am a much stronger person because of my college experience. I started college at a private school about three hours from home. I had to live on campus, share a room with a stranger, cook and clean for myself, and take responsibility for myself. I didn't have a mom to wake up in the middle of the night and tell that I was sick and ask "What should I do?" I had to learn to fend for myself. I learned that I was a much stronger person than I had given myself credit for. When I transferred to a schoolcloser to home, I realized just how much I did for myself when I was away. Whether I was doing laundry, going shopping, or studying for a big test, I made sure to do it the right way. Besides the surviving on my own part of life, college has taught me that an education is really priceless. No matter what you learn, there will always be more to learn. My college experience has been valuable because I realize just how important it is to learn as much as you can and then in turn teach others what you know.

Meredith

I have gotten a great education, but have also made lasting friendships and connections with my college family.

Destiny

I have learned that you have to challenge yourself in order to strengthen your views. This is a trait that can be used throughout life. I have also learned that you need to loosen up a little and have fun every now and again. It helps get away briefly from a stressful situation. Never be afraid to ask for help. If things are bad, get help before they get worse.

Hey, Hannah. I know you're pretty nervous about college. All these people are telling you different things, and you're not sure what to think about any of it. DO NOT WORRY. You'll be just fine. I know you'll keep up the good work as far as studying goes. You've always been the sort of person to give your best at everything, but in the hustle and bustle of academics and class schedules and grade point averages, please try to live a little. Reach out to other people when they offer a kind word or a smile. Seize the day. Do more than just read books and complete homework assignments. I want you to look back at college and know without a doubt that it was a time of growth for you. Don't hold back due to fear of failure or looking silly. Everyone looks silly at some point, but the silliest-looking people of all are those who fill their lives of up with what-ifs and regrets. I don't want that for you. I want you to have a life rich with diverse experiences. You'll learn more that way.

Gerald

The advicde I would give myself as a senior in college is to just stay focused and not be distracted and work hard. through highschoolI was the top basketball player in my county and ranked pretty high in the state of California. I thought I was just going to play basketball for a living, but as i got older and started playing at the next level, even though i was doing well on the court, seeing a new life of being on my own brought new distractions that I never had to deal with. Now I see people that are doing what I was suppose to be be doing and I just beat myself up over it. But i'm sick of it, so now I'm taking charge and I know that God has blessed me with other gifts. The advice I would give myself as a highschool senior, currently at this moment I am giving myself right now. Not only am I fighting for myself now to succeed in life, but I have a beautiful son and a wife, so I will not fail again.

Jerry

If I could go back in time I first would tell myself to study harder, choose my courses a little more wisely, become more involved in school activities that would not only enhance my high- school experience but would also be beneficial to a promising career goal for the future. I would make more of an contribution to programs that would greatly improve my life for then and now ; such as community service projects, becoming involed in business oriented endeavors and immerse myself in studies that would greatly improve my chances of succeeding after high-school and into college life. Studies such as History, Math, Science, this alone with extra cirriccular activities such as Basketball, Band , ROTC, Choir in an effort to have a more rounded high-school experience.

If I could go back and tell myself about college life, I would mainly discuss the worth of high school. There were few things I took away from high school, including being able to write an essay and time management. The things that I thought would follow me forever, the important things in high school, did not. I no longer know who Jillian is dating, or if Abbey is still having drug problems. The most important battle that two of my friends were having over a teacher they liked then seem so petty now. I no longer know anything about the social athmosphere of my old high school. I would go back and tell myself to stop paying attention to the shallow culture of pubescent chit chat and more to things that I could use. I should have learned how to manage my finances and my health. Most importantly, I should have known not to waste my time, effort, and emotional stability on a boy when just a month in college I would find myself a man. High school realy doesn't matter.

As a high school senior, I thought I had the world figured out. I was on track to attend Carson-Newman and was more than on top of my scholarship applications. However, once I came to school, I began to understand that there is so much that I do not, well, understand. There are ideas, theories, philosophical notions, and religions that I have never even heard of, and this school has encouraged me to grasp as much of the world's knowledge as I can. I echo Tao Le Ching when he said, "The more I know, the less I understand." I would encourage my high-school senior self to be open to new ideas, even if they contradict your own. Sometimes, it is important to explore the world around us even if we disagree with most if it, if nothing else, for the sake of argument. I am learning day by day, that I truly do not have it all figured out. No, I cannot say that I will ever have all of life understood; however, that is just one exciting part of my journey.

If I could go back to high school there are three major changes I would make in both how my first semester went as well as when I went through the choosing process of what college to go to. First off one thing I would have changed from my first semester is I would have tried to get more involved in various activaties. It is a fine line between over loading yourself and then not doing much of anything. Getting involved helps make the time go faster and helps to relive the stress of the homework load. The second thing is obvious and almost every college student will tell you this do not procrastinate it is the worst thing you can do. As for choosing a college the thing I would change would have been its not nessecary to go half way across the country to get away from home. You may think that you want to leave the state so you can be away from your parents and have freedom living at college you have that freedom even if the school is only an hour away from home. Another thing is pay attention to cost especially if your paying.

The only thing that I would do different about high school is to learn to study. High school was easy for me. The material came natural, but if it didn't I could pick up on the material before the end of class. I never took a book home and still made really good grades. College was completely different. There was so much material that I had to bring my work home. I had no idea where to start. I wish that I had aquired heatlhy study habbits in high school.

Abbey

Abbey, there are a few things you need to remember. Visit and apply to as many colleges as you want no matter how far-fetched they may be. It is important to explore all your options. Also, apply for all the scholarships you qualify for. They will come in handy. Don't forget to be a high schooler in the process of applying for schools and scholarships though. Manage your time so that you have time for work and fun. However, DO NOT procrastinate. It will cost you in the end. Don't try and take to many dual-enrollment classes your senior year. You are not in college yet. Those classes will all be waiting for you when you get there. Be a senior in high school your senior year, not a college freshman. Enjoy being a senior while you can, and college, and the incredible amount of fun and work that comes with it, will come soon enough.

STACEY

IF I COULD GO BACK IN TIME I WOULD TELL MYSELF THAT I COULD GO TO COLLEGE AND MAKE IT THROUGH. WHEN I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL I THOUGHT I COULD GET A JOB AND WOULD NOT HAVE TO FURTHER MY EDUCATION. AFTER WORKING IN A FACTORY FOR ALMOST TEN YEARS I DECIDED I WANTED SOMETHING BETTER. SO IF I COULD GO BACK I WOULD TELL MYSELF TO GET OFF MY BUT AND GET A GOOD EDUCATION AND NOT JUST A JOB.

I would tell any senior, don't over load yourself with your first year of classes. You want to beable to enjoy, get to know, and have a little fun the first year of college. If you don't know what you want to major in, take some of your basic classes and talk to others about what they are interested in and see what all the college has to offer and what you are interested in majoring in. Be your self and don't get in over your head.

J.T.

Listen to your advisors, upper classmen, be yourself, enjoy you new surroundings. Don't get down on your self. Keep up your studies and ask for help. Don't always take those college credits in high school, they are not always helpful. Stay serious but also have fun. Make good decisions and make good friends. Always ask for help when you need it. Talk with your professors and let them get to know you as a person and student.

Veronica

The advice I would give myself is to not stress over little things and to balance out my scedule better. Due dates will come and go, but they aren't worth a panic attack. School is important, but so are the relationships I make and the people I meet. Learn to balance friends and school work effectively, and I will be stress free and happier as a college freshman.

Pray and seek where God is truly wanting you to go. If you go somewhere that is not desired, you will hate every moment of it.

I would suggest that a student should, first and foremost, involved and not stay locked away. I hid my first year and was very unhappy. Once I forced myself to experience the orientation activities of my new school and become more involved with things that interest me, I met people, got close to others and really grew. I also suggest that students consider moving to a school away from home. C-N is 4 hours away from my home, far for some andd too close for others. It was too far initially, but being away from my family forced me to grow up and support myself. I feel confident in beginning a career through the experiences with people and life situations I experienced in college. It's a difficult and challenging path to begin on, but if a person will just open themselves up to new people and learn to rely on themselves and God, college can be the most rewarding time of your life.

Parents should let go of their children and let them live a day in the life of a college student at that school. They will know if it is the right school for them. You have to remember that you are making a decision that will affect the next four years of your life and if you do not like the school you are at then those four years may not be as memorable as you would have hoped. Be careful and choose wisely. There are over 4,000 schools in the nation and one of them is bound to suit your style.

Kathy

I feel that they are very behind in technology and are very disorganized. I like to be positive and believe they are trying to make a difference, but they have a very poor web based program and very little space to study. If you go to the library, the students are loud especially at night. You cannot register online and they make you see advisors that need help to register you themselves. When I first came here, I was told I would be able to work while in the program and they would be flexible with my schedule; this is simply not true. I feel that I have had a better quality education at a larger institution.

When applying to colleges, one of the most important things is to keep track of all your documents and have everything mailed in by the due date. A visit to the campus is also necessary, and if you can, try going on a non-visiting day. This allows you to get a feel of what the campus is like the majority of the time. Another good idea is to stay a night in one of the dorms with a student. If they are majoring in the same thing you want to major in, ask them to show you around their department. You may even get to meet some of the professors. Time management is the key to making the most of your college experience. It can be difficult to balance homework, friends, and sleep, but if you do it right these can be the best years of your life. If you make sure to set aside specific times for sleep, eating, and homework, then you'll have plenty of time to make friends and spend time with them. I've made all of my best friends at school. Keep a positive attitude and you'll have a great college experience.

Meghann

Encourage them to talk to students who are not part of the commitees to attract new students to the school. Have the student visit the school during a time of year when not a lot of new students are visiting to get a good idea of what the campus life is really like, because after one, two, or three years, it can get really boring and depressing if there's nothing to do. Find a school that doesn't do things in order to "get rid" of the students that professors see as weak links, find a school who encourages and pushes students to do their best in a positive manner.

Taira

Students should go and visit the college before they apply or before they commit to the school. While there, they should speak with Financial Aid in order to see how much help they will need. The earlier you start looking the better. In order to make the most of your experience while in college, I suggest that you do every possible social activity possible on campus. Make lots of friends and have study groups with people in your class. Go to all the sporting events and show your team spirit. Also, never be afraid to go to your professor with a problem... you might just benefit from it. Parents, encourage your student with their college decision. Help them to be informed. Once your child is at school, always be encouraging. Never put your child down despite mistakes. They have to learn how to grow up on their own. Do your best to help them however you can. Negativity is a definite NO NO!!!!! All that will do is stress out your child and they will not appreciate the added stress.

Sierra

The advie I have for parents is to be there for their children and help them out, but let your child pick the school and major and surrport them no matter what thier choice is. I adive students to reach for their goals. Never give up! Even if you reach for that school you always wanted to go to since freshman year of high school, but find you changed your mind. Do not be discourage. Just keep trying, as long as you try you will find the school that best fits you. To make the best of the college experience is to try to find a find a good healthy blance of school, work, a socical life, and sleep (health). Do get involed and always try your best. As long as you feel you have done your best you will awlays feel happy about your college experience. If you do get stressed out there is always help on any campus. Do not be afaid to ask or seek for help. If you are willing to help your self people are going to be willing to help you. I wish you the best and remeber always follaw your heart.

Don't worry too much about whether or not you have chosen the PERFECT college; your college experience will be what YOU make of it, no matter where you go. Through the influence of both new knowledge and new friends you will grow and change personally and professionally. At Christian colleges especially you must be careful to keep an open mind at all times--not to abandon your religion, but to grow in it and make it your own. Sign up for classes you don't have to take--even classes you don't expect to enjoy--you will learn the most from them. And finally, remember that you will ultimately measure your college experience not by your GPA or transcript or even the number of people you "friended" on facebook, but by what you learned about the world, and what you discovered about yourself.

Troy

Don't just listen to what the admissions office tells you, get to know the real school and they real students.

Find what major your son/daughter is interested in persuing throughout life, and find the school that fits best with their lifestyle. For examples, the size of the class rooms, different teachers, and how large the campus is. Also, know what scholarships are available, becuase you want to go to the school that interest you, but also is going to pay for some of your school, because when you get out of college, you do not want extreme amount of student loans. Before you enroll, go to the school and check out there campus and see what the school is about. That will be the best way for you to know if you are truely interested in attending that college or university.