Carthage College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Carthage College

Susan

Many of the professors are excellent, engaged, and give their all to provide fantastic education. In my majors, I always felt connected to the curriculum and professors. Too bad the administration is terrible and continuously getting worse. They recently fired a number of staff and did away with many humanities and social science degree programs. One of my favorite professors was fired and hired back for much less money after the administration realized no one else could teach their classes. The school still claims to be a liberal arts school but is increasingly heading towards a business/trades school instead. If you're looking for a well rounded academic environment like I was when I went there, I'm sorry to say those days at Carthage appear to be over. I now recommend to soon-to-be freshmen to look at similar schools like Augustana or St. Olaf's if they want the small liberal arts experience. I also tell my friends with a Carthage degree to look into graduate programs before the school's reputation plummets any further. They're clearly prioritizing money-making degrees over ones that actually encourage intellectual stimulation. After decades of financial mismanagement, I can't say I'm surprised. But to charge the amount they do for an education and not provide what they say they will, it's well worth it to steer clear of here. It makes me sad to write this because I had high hopes for the school and my professors were outstanding. However, I feel the warning is needed at this point. The best professors are looking to move elsewhere, as they should.

Nateya

I believe Carthage college is a great college academically, and the campus is beautiful. Not only will student's receive a degree, but they will also receive many opportunities for jobs after they graduate. All students have a 99.9% chance of receiving a job after graduating. Extracurriculars are great. There are so many organizations on campus that there is literally something for everyone. The only cons are at some times it doesn't feel diverse but Carthage does strive for diversity and to make everyone feel comfortable. Also, it can get boring sometimes. The party scene is the same thing every weekend, and there isn't really anywhere to go outside of campus unless you drive 10 minutes or more away from the campus.

Grant

If you like the small-school atmosphere, Carthage is great. You have small classes, really get to know professors and build relationships. Half of the school is athletes, so there are a lot of really fit and active people. The location on the lake is also spectacular. Unfortunately, Kenosha is not the greatest college town, but we are fairly close to Chicago.

While I can't talk poorly on the class sizes (17 students in a class room.....that's less than half of my high school classrooms), I have to say they could really improve on the quality of food provided on campus. The only thing open past 10pm on everyday but Saturday is RedZone (basically a convenience store) and there's people constantly walking around with upset stomachs and poor food sitting around. Options are minimal for those with dietary restrictions. Also, the traditional dorms really need an updating, yet they continue to put more of our money into building newer buildings (they've placed a brand new one between two of the oldest dorms who still have carpet from the 80s). Take away the negatives of living on campus and you see a beautiful college with professors who care and more than enough opportunities to make connections, find internships, and land a job outside of college. You really get what you put in at Carthage and from experience I can say I've gotten a lot out of being here, more so than I would have attending a larger university.

Gwen

The Carthage environment offers a place to thrive. It is an arguably safe campus surrounded by beauty. There is a large weight placed on the image of the campus. The internal aspects of the campus have their flaws. The living situation is not worth the money spent, and the meal points are not substantial for most students living on campus. The main focus lies on the incoming students. That being said, recipients of scholarships should keep the rising tuition in mind during the college decision process. Regarding the social atmosphere, a small campus means word spreads quickly. This campus is most beneficial towards people willing to work hard and less able to succumb to petty drama. Carthage offers an excellent learning environment, and various opportunities unlikely to be achieved at most campuses.

DeAnn

Carthage College has presented me with so many new opportunities. The school includes so many aspects that I could wish for in a college. From the smaller class sizes, new research and nursing facilities, and huge opportunities for scholarships and financial aid. Not only are the academic facilities outstanding and suitable for student's needs, but the athletic facilities are also outstanding and exceed many other Division III schools. The faculty cares about the students and always gives students opportunities to complete research and receive assistance with their academics. Carthage College continues to exceed my expectations as a Liberal Arts College. I think highly of the school and the faculty, and I am excited to finish my education at Carthage College.

Veronica

I know how stressful the search for college can be. When I was on the hunt for the perfect school I applied to 15 different schools, and Carthage was not my number one. However with the hand I was dealt I choose to go to Carthage; it was my most affordable option. After completing my first year there, I could not picture myself anywhere else. Carthage truly became my home away from home. They are in a great location, half way between Milwaukee, and Chicago. The Dorms are not the best, but unless you want to spend $60,000 a year you are not going to find movie-set dorms. The thing that makes Carthage great are the people (and the Starbucks on campus). Being a Freshman is hard, but at Carthage you do not feel that seniority gap, you are just another friend. I love Carthage, and I hope I helped share the love.

Renee'

Carthage College is a place with diverse students with diverse opinions. Like any college, Carthage is what you make of it. I have gotten extremely involved in a number of organizations and built long lasting relationships with professors who I can easily email, call, or visit if I need help. I have an amazing support system of friends and faculty and with their help, I have redefined success for myself at this school.

Jack

Great college with a strong faculty for teaching. If you are looking for smaller class sizes and the ability to learn more, this is the college for you. You will meet you best friends here. They are down to earth and care about each other.

Angel

My overall opinion of Carthage College is that it is a great place to get a college level education. They also encourage extra curricular activities, and there are tons of clubs. I wish I had time to participate in all of them. The professors also want to see you succeed, and everyone is invested in your education.

Nia

With great programs that provide a well rounded education and faculty that are passionate about their students, Carthage has everything a great college should have. There are also a myriad of opportunities to meet a wide range of people with differing opinions and perspectives.

Mary

I love Carthage. There is always something to do and it is small enough that you feel welcome without being overwhelmed but large enough that you have your own space. I have made great friends at Carthage and I love the atmosphere. All of the teachers I have had have been amazing. They really do care about your success and do whatever they can to aid you on your way to succeeding.

Kyla

I believe that Carthage College is a very great school in general. However, I find that tuition is extremely expensive and that the food choices are very limited. The professors are very kind and understanding overall. Although, I feel that some of their undergraduate programs are lacking, such as the Studio Art program. It feels at times that there are more general education requirements than there are for the actual major.

Veronica

Overall, Carthage College is a great, tight-knit community of students who all want to get a liberal arts education. The small campus size allows for students to all get to know each other while growing in character by strengthening connections and communications.

Brianny

Carthage College is really a great school to be at. Everyone there is friendly from students, professors, and faculty. The campus isn't too big which is great because everything is in walking distance from each other. I wouldn't pick any other place to be at other than there for school.

Evany

If you're a student that's interested in school's that is small and welcoming then this is the school for you. In my opinion, I love small school's for the reason being that I like small classes, I like to know everyone and I could easily get help from a teacher, and at Carthage it is so easy to get that. When i first visited the school, i felt so welcomed and as if i was at home. Everyone is so polite and the lake view is absolutely gorgeous.

Tatiana

Carthage College is well known for being a small D3 school, that makes everyone feel at home. The small campus size makes it very easy for students to get around and become knowledgeable of all things happening on campus. The small size of Carthage allows students to get to know one another very well as well as the professors and staff. Having one on one access to the staff and teachers allows a greater connection to be formed. There is much to be learned from the staff, and they are always willing to help and are there to lead you to success. Every Carthage professor will give his or her time to benefit the students and to provide as much assistance as needed to better their future.

Overall, I love Carthage. I absolutely love the campus, campus life, and academics. First, when you see Carthage you immediately notice the beautiful lake the never failed to turn my head on the morning walks to class. I believe living on campus was also the best choice I have made. Carthage is a small school but you feel like you are in a world of your own. I live five minutes away from college, but I am so grateful I chose to live on campus. If i did not I would not have met my best friends. The housing definitely needs to be renovated in the old dorm buildings. The new ones are quite beautiful. I am all for the academics as well. I appreciate all the hard work that goes into creating the curriculum that only strives to ensure our learning and outcome. One of the few things I do not like is how poor and unreliable the shuttle system and parking lot system works. Many times have I been left in the parking lot or on campus when security has told me "you can't wait ?" or "you can't walk?" when my parking lot is a mile away. I do not appreciate how sky-high the prices are for a parking lot either. They are incredibly unreasonable. Luckily, I do have my family that is still in town that always helps out despite these unreasonable and inconsiderate policies. Other than that I love being a Lady Red at Carthage College!

Tyra

Carthage College offers numerous opportunities for students both in and out of the classroom. Class sizes are small, allowing students to develop close relationships with their professors. There are a wide variety of clubs and activities available to students on campus. Of course, looking out across Lake Michigan every day only makes the experience of attending this college that much more unique!

Cecilia

Carthage College overall, is a school that values its students and their drive to learn and be educated. There is not a teacher that I have had or seen that does not know a students name. Every teacher has office hours and they love to see student's faces, even if it is just to say hi. The school itself has a very inclusive environment and everyone has a place where they belong.

Kristen

Carthage is a beautiful place to spend your college years. The lake is beautiful, the professors take the time to help students, everyone is friendly, and there are a lot of opportunities to explore new things. Even though it may be a little too far away from town, it is still a great place to go to school.

Jonathon

Overall, Carthage is a good college. There is most definitely room for improvement, but I also think it could be a lot worse. I would say Professors are one of the best parts of the campus. The classes are so small that you get a personal attachment with them. Downside is that the freshman dorms are bit old and not the greatest. The plus side of this is that there are nicer dorms and the college is currently building more dorms to help improve the dorms. The campus is really into the sports too. Majority of people play in a sport and if they do not then they are really involved in clubs and politics of campus.

Victoria

I chose college because of its small class sizes, close-knit community, and educational opportunities. I am very fortunate to be apart of the education program which provides me with many opportunities to get involved in the classroom before I begin teaching. I believe there are many positives to Carthage College. The small class sizes make it very easy to build relationships with professors and to receive additional support. The small campus makes the school feel like a second home and I have met many friends throughout the years. I do, however, believe that the buildings and housing could be better quality. Unfortunately, many of the academic buildings and dorm rooms are run down an insufficient. The on-campus food options are also very limited and there are not many healthy food options.

Braden

I love the school. So far, my experiences have been worth the long trip. The faculty and students are welcoming and love to help out. The tight-knit community feeling is great. The views are also something to note. The fact that the campus sits right on Lake Michigan allows for some amazing picture opportunities. The campus itself is very well put together, and the atmosphere is exciting and enjoyable. The college is welcoming to everyone and the community is one of the kindest and inclusive that I have seen.

Briana

Carthage is a school in which your major will determine if this is the right school for you. Some programs are better developed than others, same with professors and student organizations. Carthage truly is what you make it. New additions to campus such as the Residential campus which will include kitchens and new food options for next school year will make the campus a better, more enjoyable place.

Jeanne

Carthage has a beautiful campus with great academic and athletic facilities all right on Lake Michigan. They have a very strong neuroscience program for a small school and every professor that I’ve had has been great so far and are willing to help. The only downside is the outdated traditional dorm halls.

Haley

Carthage feels like home. There are flaws in the top 5 schools in the country so there are bound to be flaws anywhere. You can't help but complain about some things especially when the college is so expensive, but it doesn't change the pride that I have for going here. It's a school that makes you feel like you belong. As a white woman, I cannot speak for everyone. But I do know the impact that some faculty members have done for students of color and beyond. There is much to be done as we are a predominantly white school, but I think there are strides being made. It isn't hard to find a good group of friends. The residence halls do not meet all expectations but the Resident Assistants and Residence Life Council push students to get involved and get to know each other within their buildings and not just classrooms. I love Carthage and I know I won't regret attending.

Kylee

Carthage is a small, private school with good academics and challenging professors. I am currently a freshman, so I'm still getting to know the campus and activities. Some of the freshmen activities during orientation and the first semester are tedious and pointless, but I'm sure most colleges have similar things. The class sizes are small, professors know your name, and you see the same people every day.

Anna

I love Carthage. The campus is beautiful the student to teacher ratio is perfect and the classes are great.

Mikayla

Carthage is a great college to go to in terms of academics, being challenged in ways you never thought of with education. The professors actually care and are very helpful. Just make sure you save up over 1,000 per semester or at least apply to a lot of scholarships because it gets really pricey, hence the reason I am not currently attending Carthage anymore. I could have done a bit more in terms of asking for more financial help but at a point it just became exhausting, so I give the financial aspect of Carthage a 3 out of 5. Academics I give a 4.5 out of 5. The professors are quality and stand by your side to help you find the best opportunities as well as being available to talk when needed. The professors give a lot of brain rattling work but it helps you develop into a sharper human being and takes you completely out of your comfort zone!

Denise

Carthage is an amazing school although it’s pretty pricey. I love the fact that the classes are small so you get to know your teachers on a one on one level. The students are really friendly and everywhere you turn you see the students interacting with each other. Overall, the school is amazing.

janice

I LOVE Carthage College! I appreciate the small class size. The professors are Great! They make sure the students have what we need and making sure we understand the assignments. The sports are great as well. I run track and I couldn't have ask for a better coaching staff to train me. I feel as if I'm ready for the Olympics! The people are friendly and easy to talk to. I can say a lot about Carthage but I will say this, did I mention it sits right on the Lake Michigan?! How nice is that?! I'm sure I will leave Carthage well educated and diverse in many different things.

Daniela

It’s a good school, I have fun and have great opportunities both on and off campus. I love the extracurricular activities and the library.

Anna

I love the campus. As cliche as it sounds, the moment I went on the campus tour, I knew it was the one. Beautiful facilities, very small faculty to student ratio, which makes it easy to talk to staff, and it's on the lake! Absolutely a wonderful campus, glad to be a Carthage girl!

Georgette

This College has a tremendous amount of opportunities available to students. Advisers and professors make a huge effort to be available whenever you need them and take a personal interest in the success of their students. The grounds are beautiful with stone pathways lined with flower beds and being mere yards away from the banks of lake Michigan (which can be seen from the windows of most resident halls. The newly constructed dorms are immaculate, while the older dorm buildings have extremely small dorm rooms, no air conditioning, and some technical issues. Even with those issues they are not horrible. The on-campus social life is fairly lively for a small school. And the religious affiliation, which is ELCA Lutheran, doesn't stop people from partaking in the occasional party.

Brooke

It's a great school for people who enjoy a small campus. The classes are all under 30 students, and your professors learn your name and are very willing to help you out. The extra classes required to take for the liberal arts education really help with more advanced classes in the future since they help refine your writing and studying skills.

Thomas

Carthage is a very diverse campus that allows people from all walks of life to feel welcomed and safe at its campus. The teachers are very approachable and kind. There are clubs and sports for everyone at Carthage. Always something to do on campus whether its games, music, or movies.

Ryan

Carthage is a good school, like any large organization it has it's flaws, but this college is pretty good at fixing and trying new things. Students generally have good educational opportunities as well as constant access to well-rounded and diverse professors. Classes are small and you quickly become part of a group with minimal effort. Last but most prominent is the location. Set in a park right on Lake Michigan, Carthage has views that would cost millions for students to enjoy, study by, or listen too.

Kamron

This school is very expensive, but the buildings, the grounds and the dorms are pretty good. Course difficulty levels are moderate to difficult, and teachers are hit or miss. I've had a few really good ones, and some very bad teachers here. It doesn't seem to be a party school, but some students do party. The surrounding area is a let down. Not too safe to walk around at night off campus. Stores and shops are quite a distance away, and there's not a lot of parking for student cars. Parking on campus costs and arm and a leg.

Zackary

It is a great school we’re I know I’m going to prosper because of it. I’ve visited over 5 times now and have decided on going there for college. I had swimming sections there one year and loved the pool and came back for a campus tour and fell in love with the school.

Genesis

Carthage College is a great place. The campus is very beautiful. I love it there. The students and teachers are so friendly. The campus is near a beautiful lake giving us students a nice view to walk past everyday. The activities and sports are really cool and I enjoy them.

Abigail

Carthage college is a wonderful place to live and be apart of. I am lucky to find myself there everyday. Coming from a small school, Carthage is just the right size fro me. Students are caring and professors are reliable. Education is found all over the campus and everyone enjoys being involved.

Natalie

The school is wonderful. Professors know you for years after you took their class. They even help you! There is plenty of one on one to be had. Classes are very educational. You can often reach a professor in their office or even by email. There are tutoring centers that often help you out as well. The library is a great place for studying.

Kyle

It is a very fine institution. I like the classes and the events that are held. Some students can be aggressive and/or scary but I wouldn't really consider it a really big problem, at the current moment. I also think the utilities and facilities are decent.

Giulia

The dorms are completely worn down and way too much for what they are. The campus food has been known to be disgusting. It's just overall a not good time. However, there is plenty of greek life to get involved in and weekly activities. If you like a small campus, you will like this school.

Katie

As I visited Carthage I found love in the campus and school right away. Everyone I walked past smiled at me as if they have known me forever. Class sizes for me personally are perfect since I do enjoy getting that extra help when needed. Overall Carthage is an amazing school if you are looking to get the best education possible with less distractions along with getting to know people for who they are