Catawba College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Catawba College

Amir

I am currently a freshman here but my first impression of the school is, average. Being honest, I would compare it to my high school when in terms of sanitary, meaning it's both poor or simply average at most. The dorms are what you'd expect from a college with them being small and average, but it's nice and small so it won't be too difficult getting lost, there are virtual maps to use, and the staff are always around whenever you need them.

Karina

I think Catawba as whole is a great school with great professors, small classes, and a focus on the academic achievements of their students. They also show concern for their students well being and work their best to provide their students with a satisfactory college experience..

Dana

I love the staff and my peers. Class sizes are ideal and the work is not too difficult with determination and easy access to professors. Campus life is comfortable and friendly. There isn't an overload of drama; the students are here to receive a higher education.

Anna

I love Catawba College. It was my first choice and only choice. The small classrooms and close knit community is what I love most about the college. Everyone, from the students, the professors, to the cafeteria workers, are all so kind and friendly. Friendship comes so easily at Catawba and I know I've already made some life long friends already and it's only been my first year.

Cameron

Catawba College is a great small school with a more liberal atmosphere and some great faculty. Despite being a mainly music and theater focused school, it has plenty of other good degrees available with solid instructors and support from the top. The small size and age of the school works against it in terms of its student housing and facilities, many of which need serious renovations or more buildings in general need to be constructed.

Catawba is not a very good school. The food is absolutely terrible and they are not willing to try to make it better. The housing selection is extremely chaotic and most of the time they do not have enough rooms for everyone but there is no help from them if you wish to live off campus. Common rooms and closets have been turned into rooms because of this. Most classes will not transfer in or out and registrars will not work with you on anything. Class sizes are usually small but they fill up very quickly and there are not many to choose from. Outside of major classes hardly exist. Tuition is extremely expensive and it does not seem worth it. Also, most majors are jokes on campus. Personally in my exercise science major I have not really learned a single thing in my 3 years here.

Alicia

Catawba is a place where you will always feel comfortable, included, and at home. It is a place where everyone is involved and part of campus. Catawba may be small, but it is huge to current students, faculty, staff and alumni. It has great academic programs, organizations, sports teams, dorms, and activities. Most importantly it values its core of scholarships, culture, service, and character.

Robert

Catawba has a great campus and community involvement. These are what have drawn me to look into attending the school. While visiting the campus although the buildings are old they have been renovated and updated. The dorms are in close proximity to the education building and the library. They have a great intramural program along with 21 college sports available to those who wish to compete at the college level.

morgan

Catawba College is a one on one school. The classroom size is kind of like high school if not less, but it’s a perfect working environment. The professors are very helpful and always on call if you need them. It’s a very nice campus and everybody including students are so friendly and helpful, in so glad I picked this college.

Victoria

My time here at Catawba has been great. My teachers are caring and welcoming. They really helped me get through my first semester. The campus is small but perfect for me. I've gotten great opportunities at this school. It is truly a great school to be at.

Andre

Honestly, Catawba College isn't a bad school to attend at all. Yeah the college has it's ups and it's down, but if you are trying to succeed academically this might want to be your first choice. Catawba College social life is cool and all, but there will be weekends that you have absolutely nothing to do.

Robert

Catawba College provides students with a personal education in a safe environment. Class sizes are small, so professors know their students well. I feel like I can grow and learn when the college believes in me as an individual. I am a name and not just a number. We are currently in the process of growth improvements in many areas of campus. There are a variety of groups and sports to participate in.

Fatima

Catawba College has its issues just like every other college, it has its advantages and disadvantages. Catawba is great, but my biggest pet peeve about this school is the few people who you can encounter and will possibly only speak to you in class but not out of class. I believe networking is amazing to get to know each other and have a variety of people to know, instead of falling off after class, or only feeling like you can only speak to that person within the class period.

Ana

I am currently about to start my second year at Catawba but my freshman year I absolutely loved it. It’s not too big and it’s also not too small, and that’s what i like about it. The staff and professors are very helpful and nice. They always make sure, that you are able to meet with them or talk to them after class if you need help with anything. The students there are very nice, you might not even know them but they will still say hey to you if they see you walking around campus. The cleaning staff are very sweet too. They make sure to always have the bathrooms cleaned. There’s always events going every Friday, so whenever you don’t have plans on a Friday Catawba always has something for you. I’m excited to start my second year there soon.

Kelsie

The college is fairly good overall. I believe that they can work on the food in the cafeteria a little more than they are right now. Athletics and Arts are a very big part of the school. There are always plays or musical group meetings to go to. Everyone is always invited to go to club meetings or to stay over the weekend to enjoy fun Friday events. They always change the event that happens on Fridays but it is always something fun and new to do.

Leighann

I think Catawba is a great school. The atmosphere is great overall and the people are very nice. There are always opportunities for students and the professors are very helpful. Catawba gives everyone an equal chance to get involved and become apart of something great.

Catawba is a great school. The environment is safe and everyone is so nice. People care about you and want to help you if you need anything. Their is always someone who is willing to help and give information. Opportunities seem broad and exciting. This school wants the best for you and will have students in mind when it comes to expense and opportunity.

Meredith

I transferred to Catawba College after being unhappy with my first year at UNC-Asheville. I absolutely loved Catawba, and if I had the choice to go back in time and restart my college career, I'd choose Catawba in a heartbeat. It's a small school with small class sizes, so you'll always see a familiar face, and your professors not only know you by name, but know your interests and care for you. Professors were always available for office hours and were happy to write recommendation letters for graduate school programs. There's a diverse student body, plenty of clubs and activities to take part in, and the resident halls are better than most. Furthermore, the cost is fairly reasonable for a private school, and the academics are challenging. The only downsides to Catawba College were the food available on campus and the location. There were never any vegetarian or vegan options available aside from the salad bar and occasional sides, so they aren't very accommodating in that regard, which is a downfall when you are diet-restricted, yet required to purchase a meal plan. The food quality was very sub-par overall, regarding flavor and selection. As for location, Salisbury is a small town with very little to do, and Charlotte is the closest large city, but a good 45 minute to hour drive away. However, if you can overlook the last two points, the good at Catawba far outweighs the bad. It's a wonderful college that has grown tremendously and continues to make its mark in the community.

Donna

I love Catawba! It's a great school, because it's not too big, and it's not too small. The buildings on campus are so beautiful, as well as the campus itself and everything is easily accessible. The main problems I have with Catawba are the food in the dining services, and parking. As of right now, there are not a lot of spaces to park near a few of the main dorms on campus. Also, the food in the cafeteria is okay sometimes, but usually they serve a lot of the same foods .

Leigh ann

It’s a beautiful school that has a lot to offer and many opportunities for their students. It’s a very productive and positive environment and I cannot wait to spend my college years there. Their performing arts program is amazing and they are very active in sports

Catawba College is a small private college located in North Carolina in a small town called Salisbury or otherwise known as "Smallsbury." The best aspect about Catawba is the small campus. Most will either love it or hate it. Like myself, what many tend to love about it is that it is like a community and sometimes it's even more like a family. When making your five minute walk to classes or lunch, you are bound to see at least one person you know. I would have to say the best part about Catawba College is the professors and class size. I have attended classes that had a 4-1 student to professor ratio. Of course not all of the courses contain this small of a class size, but I can say that I have never been in a class that had more than 24 students...EVER!! That's what is so great about it. Professors are so comfortable and open to class discussion during their lecture that it is almost impossible to fall behind. If you do fall behind, the professors always have their office hours listed by their door or online, or you can even meet with them by appointment. You may even be able to catch them walking across campus, and if they aren't busy they will usually invite you back to their office to clear up any issues or confusion you may have. The professors not only care about your success, but your well being and mental health as well. I haven't met a single professor that didn't ask how the students were doing when they know the semester is getting rough, or even inviting students to their office with open ears so you can clear your mind. Another great aspect of Catawba is the student ran events. There is usually a movie night open to students about twice a month, there are annual talent shows and lip sync battles, arts and crafts that you can keep forever, magician shows, weekly worship services as well as services by the campfire with free smore's, and even a small fair at the end of the year that Catawba calls "palooza." Many will remember Catawba for this event as it is filled with student led live music, free fair food, free rides, and free prizes!! If you are one to participate in sports but didn't get a scholarship that's okay! Catawba welcomes walk on's. If you still want to play but don't want to be involved in the actual league, there are intramural sports where you play for fun with your fellow classmates. When looking at the price of tuition for Catawba don't be scared. Almost every student on the campus is offered a hefty scholarship and receives financial aid. Catawba really is what you make it. If you get involved you'll make plenty of friends to last a life time and you will have the best college experience of your life. Go CAT-U!!!