Cedarville University

« See more reviews of Cedarville University

I would have looked into more college opportunities and attempted to find a college opportunity which would allow me to stay out of significant debt throughout my college experience. Getting a good ACT score isn't enough, (I scored a 33), you also have to apply to the right college that will honor your high school achievments enough to offer you reasonable financial aid. My current choice of Cedarville has only limited opportunities for financial aid for academic purposes, but rather chooses to grant aid based on religious reasons such as church affiliation and missionary parents.

Be prepared to study hard. Go to class with an attitude to learn. Don't be afraid to ask questions, even the ones that seem dumb. Be humble in your position as a freshman and in what you know and don't know. Even though there is a lot of food offered in the cafeteria don't overindulge yourself! Make time for getting out and exercising because it is worth it. Remember to have fun and spend time with people and friends. Even if at first you feel lonely and don't know anyone, it's just a phrase and will pass. It doesn't take long before you find that you know several people.

When looking at a college, try to talk to some recent alumni or even seniors at the college. They will tell you how it really is at the school. Also, try to visit the campus so you can feel what the atmosphere is like, but make sure the school isn't just trying to put on a show for you. Lastly, see what kind of extracurricular activities the school has. That way you will be able to see if the school has some life, and you won't be bored out of your mind on the weekends. Overall, make sure you look at every aspect of the school not just if they have your major.

I would advise myself to take advantage of the educational opportunities homeschooling presented. I could have started my college studies in high school through the postsecondary option. I wish I would have gone further in my studies in math. I would have taken math through Algebra 2 instead of going into business math and not fully completing business math. Also, I wish I would have learned how to socialize with guys more and been more exposed to culture. It was a culture shock when I realized that sincere Christians listened to rock n roll music.

I would tell parents and students to begin looking at colleges during the Junior year of highschool. This aides in applying for school senior year, you can apply early and be done with all the paper work and find out where you are accepted and then be able to enjoy your senior year. To get the most out of the college experience you have to have a good balance of school and social life, do not over do the social life, but do not over do the studying as well. Get to know the people in your dorm or hall and start building relationships right away!

Not only have I learned about my major in my collegiate experience, but I have learned about myself. Never before have I been able to identify my strenths and weaknesses, and now I can be perfectly honest about them and work on them. I have made friendships that will continue to impact me for life, friendships that I will never forget. But most importantly, being in college has given me a chance to find myself as God finds me, and to grow ever closer in my relationship with Him as I am continually dependent on Him to supply my needs.

College has been such a great experience for me so far. As soon as I got to college I jumped right in and ran for Class Vice President. I won and was able to learn a lot about planning various events and being a part of an organization that serves others. Meeting new people and learning new information which will one day help me to succeed in my field of study means that the experience is not only fun, but crutial. I love it so much that someday I would like to become a professor learning and teaching as a career.

Apply to a bunch of different schools. Don't expect any one thing going into your college education. You'll learn a lot, and some of it will be from books, wherever you go. The school itself is only part of the equation. 90% of your experience is what you bring to the table. Be willing to get out there and try new things. Don't go crazy; but don't stay in your dorm and do nothing. Get involved in a research study, intramural sports - do something. Studies aren't the half of what you'll learn at college.

Sometimes it is so hard to know how to balance course work and social life, I know from experience because as a freshman, I only did coursework. Creating long lasting friendships is such an important part of the college experience. Make sure that as you are supposed to try your hardest in acedemics, make time for a social life. This is important for the oppposite as well, if you are a person who struggles with acedemics because of a love to hang out with friends, focus a little more on acedemics.

If I could go back in time to give myself advice in my senior year. The advice would be to acquire better study habits. Although I graduated with a 3.8 GPA, I would have strived harder for that 4.0. I would also have told myself to take advantage of the overnight staying in the dorm, so I would have relized how small the rooms. are. I would have join for leadership, and community groups, because I am shy and I think that would have brought me out of my shell and made the transition easier