Cedarville University

« See more reviews of Cedarville University

The biggest transition for me at college was the ability to adjust to a roomate who was extremely different than myself. If two polar extremes are possible, that would describe our situation. Being a social animal, one who loves people, loud music, disorder of every kind, and late nights living with one who is quiet, introverted and lives an order-filled existence including early-to-bed times was, needless to say, a challenge. I would tell myself in high school to go out of my way to understand and accomodate those who are different than myself. I have always surrounded myself with like-minded individuals and had liitle to do with those who were outside my comfort zone, however, after working through these personality differences this year, I have learned to appreciate those differences and have become a person who is more well-rounded, flexible, and other-centered. I have become friends with my roommate who I would never have sought out for myself. I am being exposed to music, habits, and a life style that at first rubbed me the wrong way and now am learning slowly that being different is not necessarily a bad thing.

The transition to college will not be the end of your life, but nor will it come without trying. With the correct perspective and some helpful information, you will succeed. The biggest thing you need to guard against is prideful complacency. High school A's and the honor roll are not enough to guarantee your college success. You will need to study much more diligently, beginning with reading your syllabi. They are infinitely more important than the menial high school course overviews. In your zeal to see your name on the Dean's list, stop and take time to enjoy some of your new freedoms. Take local day trips to explore the surroundings. Invite other students to join you, but remember to step outside of your comfortable friend bubble. The best friends come from the people you least expect to enjoy. But overall, don't feel like you must have your entire life in order just because "you're in college now." Everyone is going through varying degrees of transition, and the important thing is to day after day, keep at it. Do this, and college will broaden your mind and challenge you to do what you never thought possible.

The best advice I could give parents and their children about their search for the perfect college would be to begin the process early. Also, the more schools you visit, the better idea you will have about what you want, or what to avoid, in a school. Once the perfect college is selected, I would encourage you to get take time to adjust and figure out how to balance this new life. After the initial shock of college, getting involved in sports, clubs, ministries, or other extra-curriculars early will also be beneficial to your success. We've all heard the familiar expression, "The college experience is the best four years of your life!" Indeed, I would have to say that those words are true, but only to an extent. While it is important for students to have fun making friends and trying new things, it is also imperative that students take their classes and grades seriously because those are some the core reasons for being at school. All in all, college is a wonderful experience, and if you make the most of the opportunities available to you, you will have experiences and memories to last a lifetime.

College is a time of change. Between the ages 18 and 22 a person undergoes some of the most life altering changes they will ever face. It?s the age that you break from your established mold and are forced to become the person you will be for the rest of your life. As such, it is imperative to choose the correct college. Even more so, it is necessary to go into this stage of life prepared to grow. College can be a time of intense learning as well as spiritual, emotional, mental, and social development. It can be a time where you find what it means to truly live in this world, or it can be a time of squandered opportunities and irresponsible choices . Your mindset is crucial in defining your experience. In addition, I would encourage a prospective student of higher education to find an establishment that offers what they are passionate about and provides a positive, nurturing campus environment. If you enter college ready to grow, if you are studying what you love, and if the faculty, staff, and students engender a positive campus atmosphere, you are poised to enter the best years of your life.

The advice I would tell my future self would be to investigate, prepare and don’t wait for the last minute for college. First thing I would advise myself in the beginning of my senior year is investigate about scholarships, financial aid, college you’re interested in and apply to them right away. Then I would suggest not to slack off just because it’s the last year but the last year to get all required credits for graduation. After, prepare by apply for admission for college and talking to a college adviser for unanswered questions. Then getting a part-time job to supplement income for college savings, just incase if financial aid won’t help. While waiting for that, I would suggest of thinking what classes to take, look them up and write down the course number. For later when registration day comes, you can just put the number and register quickly. By doing that you can avoid stressing, being in the waitlist or not even getting in the classes because that was my mistake of doing everything the last minute. Last tip on the first day of school, go early to locate your classes to avoid being late.

In March 2009, I returned to school to earn a Master?s in Psychology more than a decade after earning a Bachelor?s degree in Accounting, Finance, and Computer Information Systems. Since I graduated from college in 1997, I have been working as a computer consultant. I was initially intimidated by my current classmates because so many of them have education and work background in the field of Psychology. I have now completed four classes and have earned A?s in all of them. I have gained confidence that my work ethic can compensate for any perceived handicap in my background in relation to Psychology. I am an advocate of continuous learning, and the challenge of upgrading that learning to a formal level has proven to be exhilarating. I have gained knowledge that I have used for personal development and to share with others. I have had the opportunity to develop skills in critical thinking and writing. My ultimate goal is to switch careers, which will yield higher job satisfaction and more positive impact on other people?s lives, so the most valuable aspect of this journey is yet to come.

Miiiike! Your future life in college is awesome! However, there are some things you should start doing now to make college and the rest of your life better. Senior year was filled with 5 AP classes and track and cross country, so you know what hard work is! Make sure you keep the up work ethic when you get to college...'senioritus' carries over! Next, stay focused on finding quality friends. Do not settle for the kinds of people that don't understand who you are as a person. Finally, get super involved at Cedarville! It took me till Junior year to get to the level of involvement that I wanted to reach, but I could have gotten to this point sooner! I have learned a very valuable lesson througout my time at Cedarville so far. The people who attain leadership positions are usually involved in more than one thing. For instance, everyone that I know in SGA is involved in two or three other things. I was involved in five different projects this semester alone. People trust leaders based on past projects. So don't be afraid to start freshman year! Good luck me! Enjoy senior year and college!

Finding the right college isn't about how cheap or expensive it is. It isn't about going where your friends are going. College is the next step in your life. It has the potential to make or break your future. Having gone through the ?college search? procedure, there are a few hints that I feel can help those who have yet to choose a college. Three good steps to take in the process of finding a good school can be taken from the acronym ?PCR?. Prayerfully choose. As a born-again believer, I believe that searching out God?s opinion is extremely important. Check around, and check many out. Don?t go by pictures from brochures and handbooks. Get down to the college or university and see it for yourself! Don?t limit yourself to checking out only one school?visit a few! Read up! Read up on what programs the school offers. Also, many schools give statistics of success rates for graduating students, and other interesting facts. There are many more things that should go into finding the college for you, but by remembering ?PCR?, you will have a good start to finding the right fit for you!

Choosing a college is, ideally, a once in a lifetime experience. Students tend to look for colleges based on their academic program preference. Whether it's a nationally acclaimed engineering program, a state certified nursing program or just the option of an 'undecided' major, the degrees offered by a particular school are too often the deciding factor. The right college will inspire you--to pursue your dreams, align your lifestyle with your goals and interact with the community around you. While academic offerings are an important factor, many students and parents would be advised to put far more energy into experiencing a campus and understanding its learning atmosphere, community support and open-mindedness. Your college experience will influence the rest of your life. Your degree, friends from school and practical experiences will influence your career, relationships and lifestyle. Take advantage of this opportunity to influence your life for the better. Pick a school where your uniqueness will be appreciated and your mind will be inspired to continue learning for years to come.

I have attended Cedarville University since the fall of 2009 and have enjoyed nearly every minute of being there. I have been reassured in numerous ways that this is the right university to obtain my Bachelor's degree in Science and Nursing. Since the beginning of my college experience I have made friends that have encouraged and prayed for me about my struggles, such as missing home, trying to get student loans, and becoming a better friend and leader. I have also learned that time is money. My Career Services advisor has brought to my attention that I pay around one hundred and thirty dollars for every class I attend. This fun fact has motivated me to never skip classes and to stay awake in those classes. So far I have been successful with both of these goals. One of the most important lessons I have learned is that cramming for tests is NOT a pathway for success. In order to understand and remember the material for my classes, I have decided to study my notes each day. This has been effective thus far and I anticipate its implementation for the remainder of my college career.