Cedarville University

« See more reviews of Cedarville University

Visiting a campus, especially when classes are in session can say a lot about the college and the students that attend there. Spending the night can give a good feel for dorm life as well. When visiting a campus connecting with a professor and learning about that particular deparment can really say a lot on where the focus is those classes. And connecting with students is a good way to keep in touch with what is going on even before attending the college if that choice is made. Prayer iskey too if one is a Christian and can really bring a peace about what decision is right. Once at the school, getting involved is a great opportunity to serve and make friends. And being yourself is always the best way to make lifelong friends. Studying hard will ensure good grades, and don't be afraid to get help when you need it, because success in the classroom will lead to lifelong success. Try picking a college that has similar beliefs as you and one the seems to be a good fit socially and academically. Remember, college is for the average person, and success is possible if you strive for it.

I would first tell myself that my academics are important. I'd say I am a pretty smart student when I apply myself, however in high school I didn't focus on my academics as much as I should have. Now I can see that if I would have put more time into my school work I would have been able to be more knowledgeable and receive a larger scholarship. Also, I would challenge myself to enjoy every moment and not get caught up in petty problems. I regret not becoming closer friends with people because of what others might have thought or because I was too prideful to befriend someone myself. I see now, through my college friendships, that investing in people's lives and caring about them can be beneficial not only for a friend but also for myself. I sometimes wonder what my high school experience would have been like if I was more focused on building true friendships than spending waste-less time and emotions on boys. While my high school experience was something I thoroughly enjoyed, I know that investing more time in my academics and friendships would have only made it that much better.

College helps mold you to be the real you. It is important to place yourself in an environment that supports your values and beliefs. If a student wants to be surrounded by students who have the same values in life, attending a college with similar beliefs would be beneficial. IEstablish what one hopes to accomplish while at school and find a school that matches those goals. Three other things to consider are location, size, and tuition. Do you want to go to school close to home or far away? Do you want to go to a big orsmall school? Do you want to go to a school that offers a lot of financial aide or community college? Do the best you can in your grades so the chances of getting the job at the location you want is more likely. Yet, do not let classes control your life. Meet people. Find good friends who are similar to you. Do not let friendships go to waste. College friends tend to be your "friends for life." Also, with those friends, have fun. Get involved in on campus activities such as sporting events. Support your school with school spirit. Enjoy your college days!

The biggest thing I wish I knew about college and entering into my undergraduate studies while in high school was not to get too involved all at once. As an incoming freshman I tried to do too much at one time. I couldn't focus on the things I really needed to. I was involved in the political arena, the workforce, intramural sports, student organizations, community ministries, and much more. I couldn't really involve myself and focus on what really mattered: my academics! Because of that, my grades suffered. My first semester in college was by far my worst and it was an uphill battle from there. Improving a bad GPA takes a lot more time and effort than maintaining an average GPA. So, the amount og activities I was involved in was important from the start. Had I known that and had time to think through that and process what I would be involved in and how I would stay on top of my homework, I may have been able to keep my academics as priority and maintaing a better GPA through my college career, allowing for a better GPA overall and much better chance at graduate programs.

College is a big deal, there is no denying that. But when it comes to choosing the right college, it sometimes just happens. There are hundreds of colleges out there, and if you lose your cool or start worrying that there is only one right answer for you, only one college that will be good for you, then you are fighting a losing battle. Instead, approach college like one of those "Choose Your Own Adventure" books that led to different endings. You don't know the ending with whichever choice you make, but whichever adventure looks most appealing to you is likely a good choice. When it comes to college, the only wrong choice is setting aside your dreams because of the obstacles before you. If you have dreams and aspirations, chase them, make them realities. When when you get to college, don't take as many classes as you can and still pass. You need to leave yourself time to process and evaluate. Don't burn yourself out so you can finish early. Leave time to enjoy life around you, and remain mentally intact so you can finish as a healthy and marketable individual.

College is not what you are picturing right now. It is a far cry from anything that TV or movies show ? just like High School Musical did not come close to portraying the reality of high school. Picture your biggest workload you?ve had in high school, double it, and add the fact that your favorite event is that night. That?s what college life is like ? a balance between reading books for classes and socializing with all the people you meet. Beware of the temptation to slack off during your senior year. It may not seem important because everyone else is doing it, but your senior year teaches you perseverance and what you are learning now will come up again in college. The big transition to living in the dorms rather than with your mom and dad and not seeing your old friends is going to be hard, but every college freshman living in the dorms is experiencing it too (and we now have cell phones and Facebook thanks to technology, so you can still keep in touch). Above all else, remember you are not alone; there are people all around you who are willing to help you through.

It is not all about me. Do not forget the people that helped you get to the point you are now. Your parents are still going to be there for you and help you out if you need someone. They love you and are pulling for you to succeed. Just like parents are supporting you, good friends will be too. You can never have too many friends so make as many as you can, but also remember the previous friendships that you have made. Be open to make changes and stretch yourself. Be well-rounded. Attend things you would not normally attend, or get involved in organizations that interest you. Pursue your dreams, even if they seem extremely difficult. If your classes seem extremely hard, work extremely hard, and do your very best to pursue the major that you are most passionate about. Remember to love what you are involved in, and try to have fun in every activity. Get involved in things and meet people, but try not to overload your schedule because you will be stressed. Do not get wrapped up in things that will only bring you down. Stay focused on the finish line. Remember the goal.

Everyone says that your college years are the best of your life and they fly by faster than you can imagine. Hard to believe, but it IS true! So, because your time is short, it is important to remember to never be afraid to go out of your comfort zone and try something new. College is the time for discovering who you are apart from your family and your high school. Don't miss out on the opportunitites that are there to make your life all that you want it to be. For the first month of school, determine to meet someone new everyday and have a conversation with them. You tend to be like your friends, so make wise choices and invest in their lives so that your friendship reaches beyond the 4 short years you have together. Take school work seriously, and be there to learn beyond the classroom. Apply what you're learning and be involved as much as you can! But don't overwhelm yourself. Learn how to prioritize your time to work ahead, so that you can enjoy activities and events with your friends. Take this opportunity to live, learn and love like never before!

I would tell myself to work harder during the last year of high school and study harder than ever to get the best scores possible in my classes. In this way I would be better prepared for the greater challenge of college courses and could spend more time making friends my first year of college instead of working so hard to study. I would also tell my younger self to search for more scholarships as during college there is little to no time to do anything but study. I would also tell myself to treasure time with my family as it it is hard being apart from them for extended periods of time. Prepacking everything or at least thinking about what I want to pack would also be good to tell myself that way as things go on sale throughout the year I could have stockpiled them instead of paying the full price last minute to get everything I needed for college life. I would also advise myself to find people nearby that plan on attending the same college so I could not only make friends and potentially roomates, but I would also have had more options for getting rides.

Start early! As deadlines approach, beginning the college search sooner, rather than later, will save you many a headache. By starting early you will have time to narrow your search down and plan college visits. The more schools you visit, the better feel you will have for what type of environment you would like to commit the next four years of your life to. In addition, once you have made your decision, you will have more time to nail the essay questions and apply for scholarships. As you search for the perfect school, ensure that you are looking for one that will meet your needs. My experience has taught me that people are what meet my needs. It is the professor who calls me by name as we pass that brightens my day. It is students who go out of there way to help their community and are caring and accepting of each other that instill pride in me. It is staff members who invite me into their home for a warm Thanksgiving meal that make me feel at home. Find a school with the right people, find it early, and you will have found a great college experience.