Cedarville University

« See more reviews of Cedarville University

Don't let your own inhibitations keep you from doing what you want. Your college peers don't know about any of your past mistakes, so learn from those mistakes and rebaptize yourself into someone you'll be proud to look back on. Take your academics seriously; highschool may have been easy but college is harder, and if you slack off early you might not be able to focus when it counts. Freshman year sets a lot of habits. Get involved in what interests you, or at least apply/try out, so you won't regret it later on. As a college junior, there's a lot of things I look back and wish I could change, but I made my choices and now I have to live with them. Think of how your actions will affect your future, not just in college but long after you've graduated. Don't get distracted by present, immediate gratification, but strive to make your future what you've always dreamed.

You need to understand that college is going to require a lot of reading. You need to be able to concentrate, even when everyone else around you wants to goof off. Stay true to yourself. Don't let others change your beliefs. Surround yourself with people who believe in God. They don't have to have the exact same religion. You can disagree on denominational ideals as long as you all believe in the Biblical truths. Be willing to voice your opinion in class. Professors like to hear your ideas and quesitons. Learning is listening to and discussing different ideas. Get your ideas out there. You ideas are worth hearing. Most of all, keep your goal in focus. Strive for what you want and if you find that you have changed your mind, research it, talk to you professors and counslers. Make sure you know what is involved and make sure it is right for you.

While you are still in high school, it is very important to fill out scholarships. This is especially important when you receive your first bill to the college you are enrolled. College is expensive and the only way to get around that is through taking the initiative through filling out scholarships. Once you have enrolled, the transition to college life will be made so much easier if you learn to be confident and put yourself out there. Don't be afraid to talk to people you don't know. Introduce yourself and share a couple things about yourself. That way, people will feel comfortable around you and are more likely to share things about themselves. Always smile! Also, keep in mind that while you may miss your friends from high school, it will do you no good sitting in your room moping about it. Shake off the sadness by starting new and exciting friendships!

My college experience at Cedarville University has benefited me in numerous ways, including encouraging and strengthening my relationship with Jesus Christ, my Savior and helping me to live a better life. I was only focused on me before I came to Cedarville University, but since coming here, I have learned to put others first all the time and love them unconditionally. It was not that I didn't serve others before I started attending this college. Rather, it was that my focus then was on how the service would benefit me instead of how I could glorify God by serving, which is what my goal should be. I have become more loving and desire to pour out the love of God to all in my community. Although my college experience at Cedarville University has been difficult at times, I have grown so much, and I am so blessed to be able to attend this college.

I would definitely advise myself to work on my people skills before coming, and try to learn how to work with a roommate that first year. My first roommate situation did not go very well because neither of us had lived with someone before, and that was a huge challenge to work out first semester. I would also advise myself to prepare for much harder coursework as high school work came very easy for me and I was not expecting such a hard transition into college work. And most importantly, I would encourage myself to get really serious with God. I knew this was something that was going to happen while I was at school with things like chapel everyday, but I wish that I had started those habits earlier so that they would come naturally now, and so that it wouldn't be so difficult to get started on something like devotionals and such.

To my advantage I have learned so many new things in college. Throughout my high school career i had been chalenging myself with the hardest classes and doing out of school things to prepare for college, I mean no wonder I got most involved from my graduating class. All of those experiences helped me tremendously but when i got to college i found myself facing new challenges such as managing and balancing many aspects of my life. Work, friends, girl friend, family, community service, school events, and so many more things were on my plate but it is a challenge that i have learned to deal with. At least I am happy that it was just one issue and not more than one if I had not prepared during my high school years. College is a whole new world but i am prepared for the change and make the best out of it.

I would advice myself not to take education for granted , and to pay as much attention to the Instructors as possible. I would inform myself that if I did not understand what the Instructor was saying to always raise my hand and ask questions for clarification, and to never,never,never feel like a dummy for asking. In my journey through the education process I have sometimes been satisfied with receiving a letter grade of "B" or "C" especially if the course was considered to be difficult. However. I would advise myself to fight harder for the best grade possible, to always set my standards high for acheiving that "A". I would tell myself the truth, that without a college eduation the types of jobs that are available to me are low paying and usually lead to a dead end. Cindy Malone

I can tell you how to find te perfect school easily. First, find something you love to do and find a school that offers it as a degree. Second, look for a school that feels like home the first time you visit it. After all, You'll be there for four or more years. Third, Never stop making friends. That will make it even more enjoyable. Finaly, realize you're going to have hard time ocasionally. When they happen, its not the end of the world, simply pick yourself back up and keep going knowing that things will get better in time. Don't quit in those times or you'll never know what you missed out on. In short, live looking foward with the will to over come what ever comes you way. Then, not only will you get the most out of your college, but also the most out of life!

Make sure you pray hard about where you should go. With the way college costs these days, you dont want to make the right decision and not realize it until you are a year or two in. College is typically four years long, just like high school. You want it to be the best, you dont want to be miserable while at school. It is not just about the social life, but if you only pick a school because of the academics, you might find yourself depressed and that depression will ultimately affect your school work. You need to find a place that you can call, a home away from home. You have to feel comfortable and feel welcomed at your college, otherwise it will be a long, painful, four years. Make the best out of your college experience. It helps direct the rest of your life!

One of the biggest changes that happens in college is the fact that most of the time you attend a college that no one knows who you are. You now have the opportunity to be yourself and show the world who you are and who you want to become. No longer are there assumpitons made about you from when you were in middle school as there were in high school. It is your time and chance to show the people around you how your elementry, middle school, and high school years shaped you and formed you into the man or woman you are today. College also gives you the chance to learn from the experiences of a myriad of people and to teach others your challenges and expereinces. Be yourself, push past your fears, and open your wings because your are about to soar into new heights.