Central Connecticut State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Central Connecticut State University

shenee

CCSU is a great school because I transferred from a community college and was able to experience what it is like to be on a big campus. CCSU has built an great foundation for incoming students and I’m happy to be a student there. I never lived on campus but it’s nice to go see my friends dorm rooms.

Wenell

Central is a school for the working student, it is affordable while offering a ton of resources both academically and recreationally. While our sports teams are no Uconn, players and coaches give each game everything; I used to joke that its not CCSU until you see some volleyball player limping on a crutch with busted knees. I highly recommend this school to people who are looking for an affordable and safe school to attend.

Natasia

It is a very quiet and intimate campus. The classrooms are decently sized, creating a nice breeding ground for learning. People are very nice and helpful. Everyone knows one another because the campus is so small, which can be both good and bad. There are unlimited resources to learn but the social life isn't as pronounced as most college students would like. The student body is compartmentalized based on the sports students are apart of, as well as the racial and cultural background students identify with. The dorm rooms are nice and have plenty of amenities and activities to make you feel comfortable, as well as have fun. Overall, its a very good school, and very affordable as well.

Shelline

CCSU is a great school if you make it great. College is what you make of it. There is always something to do like clubs, events held by the students or even someone to hang out with. The people are friendly and are always willing to help you out when the help is needed. It is a good school and I think others would enjoy it as well.

Pedro

On a scale of 1-10, I would say Central Connecticut University is a 6. In general CCSU is a good school . Education wise, classes vary in quality depending on the type of professor you have. They have too many professors who are not educators but professionals in the field, which can be either really good or really bad. It doesn't matter what major you have or what class you take, as long as you study and have a good professor you will pass with an A. Campus Life at CCSU is what you make of it. CCSU is a commuter and about 80% of the student population commutes, if not more. Which means that your best chance of having a ''good time'' at CCSU is taking the first step and joining organizations on campus or look for things to do in New Britain. Joining organizations campus will open up a lot of doors for you economically, educationally, socially and must of all it will keep you busy. I really recommend keeping yourself active during the week because CCSU goes through a ghost town phase during the weekends. Overall, CCSU is the perfect school to get out of your comfort zone because you won't have fun during your stay here unless you go out and look for things to do. When it comes to dining CCSU is absolutely terrible. Food is really repetitive and 70% of the menu is below average/average when it comes to quality. Students will really hate dining after the first two weeks of their stay which forces residents to spend a lot of money on food. Housing experience varies depending on which building you choose, but you will be completely fine as long as you bring a fan for the occasional air conditioner malfunction which may last for a few days or an entire semester. CCSU campus is fairly safe, haven't heard of anything serious during my stay here. Overall. CCSU is a good school as long as you're willing to get out of your comfort zone and look​ for things to do.

Handel

It is a great state school. There are some issues with this school, but honestly this place is not to bad.

Kenya

I really enjoy attending Central because even though it is not as large as other colleges are there is a very close community surrounding it. The students who go here are very welcoming and friendly, and it's very easy to find something that you may like to join, either as a club or a sport. Also, the teachers and staff show a large interest in academics and provide help in the form of a learning center, which is designed to provide help and tutoring for either scheduled students or drop-in's; help is always available at Central. Though, I do wish there were more active ways of getting the word out to students that activities were happening on campus rather than posting them on a board inside of the student center or sending an email, I know I've missed a ton of fairs going on due to missed emails and flyers posted in select areas.

Andreya

CCSU is a great commuter school. It is right in the middle of everything. The price played a big facts into applying here. I live at home and my tuition is a bit above $5000 per semester. That is way better to other schools I wanted to go to or even my friends go to. They are paying $30000 and way in debt already. The school is constantly bettering themselves. Facilities are clean, classes are average 20-25 people, which I prefer. Lots of sports clubs and activities to attend to. Professors that I have are very helpful during office hours. Honestly nothing but good things in my experience. The only big thing is parking can be annoying, it’s very limited since there are so many commuters. And the campus on the weekends or nights is pretty dry, since majority of the the school is a commenter. But that doesn’t affect me.

Siska

It's a good school and cheaper than most state schools in CT.

kaitlyn

I think CCSU is a great option for people who are struggling financially. I hear they help many students with aid, unfortunately, I am not one of them but the tuition is still cheap compared to other schools. CCSU is also very close to me since I am a commuter so it seemed like the right choice. The school is a decent school for commuters however I have heard that it is boring if you live on campus because there are not many activities.

Isabella

It's a great place to begin when starting college. It mostly a commuter campus but there are plenty of students that stay on campus as well. I've enjoyed my time here because if you get involved then you'll get the most out of everything here. I'd say CCSU is a great place if you're undecided and/or looking to save money.

savannah

Central has a lot to offer, down to the classrooms, teachers, and friends. The academics are very good the teachers are always there to help you no matter the situation. If you email them or go to their office hours they will find a way to help you with whatever you need

Jyonah

My overall opinion of CCSU is, its great! I love how prideful we are and how the RA’s in most of the forms always put things together in order to create a unified environment to make students come together and always know they have a down to earth group back in their dorm.

Antonio

The campus is the perfect size to be able to connect with the general population on a personal level. The class size is large enough for students and professors to communicate more effectively. There are plenty of organizations and clubs for students to get involved in. The environment of the campus as a whole is very calm and quiet. Every weekend, each student is bound to have the opportunity to go out and socialize safely which is an essential factor. If you are the type of person that wants a smaller, quiet campus, then Central Connecticut State University will be the perfect place of study for you. If you are someone who wants a large campus with an energetic surrounding environment, then you would most likely be better suited looking for other schools.

Torah

I really enjoy being a student here. I love that the professors are available to me and are very willing to make the time to meet. The Student center has quiet areas so I can study. Parking isn't the greatest but I try to get early classes to avoid that issue.

Coralis

Very nice and welcoming, can’t wait to go. I loved the open house. I spoke to Mr. Nilvio and Dr. Zulma Torro and the professor of accounting. Everyone was supper nice and supporting. The tour was great, I was able to see some dorms so it’s good because I was thinking about staying on campus in the future.

Christopher

It is a great school at an affordable price.

Kelly

Overall Central Connecticut is a good school. The teachers I've had so far have been nice, and if you ever don't understand something they are happy to go over anything with you. The financial aid department was not the most helpful at first, but after talking to about 4 different people finally the 5th person was very helpful. My advisors so far have Ben very helpful, and seem to genuinely care for their students. Some of the buildings are brand new and nice, and some others could use an update. But, overall I have had a pretty good experience at Central Connecticut State University.

I think central is a pretty good school. When ever I get to visit it feels just like home and I enjoy it a lot. I also think the environment has a good vibe to it. Everybody seems so welcoming. In my opinion I believe central could give me the same opportunities as any other school which is great!

Alexandria

There are some good qualities and not so good qualities about our school. My favorite aspect is the class material. I love our academics and my major. Our library is new, improved, and is one of our nicest buildings on campus. Also, our campus is really safe to walk around. The food is not always the best, but sometimes it is very tasteful.

Mykal-Ann

LOVE

HURIJA

I transferred to CCSU in the fall of 2016. I moved back home to live with my family, kind of got home sick. Although now I am truly homesick of my second home, Boston. Leaving the city has been a tremendous mistake. Walking through the campus this fall was painful. Not living on Beacon St anymore hit me hard. It was hard to look outside of the classroom and not see skyscrapers. Instead of having a view of the Garden, I was now looking at a couple of trees on CCSU’s campus. It was a tough transition for me, but I did my best to transition. I figured I’ll still dress up for class, since I have been doing that for two years in a row. But it feels odd to be the only one dressed up for class while half of the class is in sweats and hoodies. The layout of the campus is difficult for the first couple of days but then you realize that the campus is not that huge after all. Everything is close than it seems. As for the academics at CCSU I must say classes are tough, teachers truly do their best to get students to think and spend time on their homework/projects. That’s a plus, college shouldn’t be easy to pass. It should make you think.

Vanessa

Overall, it's a decent college. You get what you pay for initially. There are sports, but football is the most popular. The housing is basic college housing, I've seen more expensive colleges with the same kind of basic housing. The food can be half and half. The college is super diverse, which is a plus (get some culture, you know?) but overall its not bad.

Julio

Central Connericut is overall a small school that provides opportunities such as cultural clubs all the way to recreational sport leagues where it's students can fit in make friends and plan for the future all while being equipped with the skills and experience they will need for the future when they graduate.

Alyssa

CCSU is overall a great school. The staff is very helpful with anything you need. The campus itself is very cozy, I always feel like I'm at home when I am on campus. The food at the dining halls is repetitive however there are always a lot of choice so even though its the same food, there are still a lot of choices.

Corinne-Renee

Central Connecticut State University doesn't get enough credit for being an incredible source for young and even older individuals to better themselves intellectually, physically and emotionally. The university is very diverse and offers many resources on campus.

I believe Central Connecticut State University is all about being part of a family... a 12,000+ member family! Here, students are a first priority and are treated with kindness and care. The academics on campus are quite extraordinary and students receive such a great education when determined and confident. Although we have many commuters, all students are welcome and have all the opportunities to get involved on campus (i.e., clubs, events, sporting events, etc.) I knew this college was the right one for me. It feels like home away from home! Go Blue Devils!!!

Skip this college. They need to be heavily audited by the state. Very dysfunctional, most students are frustrated, many transfer, graduate program is a joke. They will continue to raise tuition costs but the quality of education goes down every semester. Only 1 or 2 good, dependable professors the rest are unavailable or arrogant. Offices like registrar and bursar are often just a frustrating experience. For the cost of tuition which is constantly going up and quality of education, you are better of going elsewhere. Save yourself the headache!

Tyler

Central Connecticut State University is a very nice school to attend. The university has a lot to offer to student, whether it be a part time schooling experience, or a full time schooling plan. Central offers many courses which help open the mind of the student and create an even better individual. The campus is well kept, there are many things to do, and there is so much involvement with the student and the faculty.

Jessii

The students can usually find professors that are somewhat helpful, but many professors couldn't care less about the classes they teach. Most of the students are smart, they just get beaten down until they don't care anymore. It'd be better if the departments would look beyond their own department, but they only care about their job.

Aisha

I loveee CCSU.its an amazing place to learn and have fun at the same time. The professors I've had so far are amazing, I liked my Macroeconomics professor, psychology professor, and Math professor so much that I didn't want to move forward to the next semester. Overall I'm happy that I made the right decision to attend CCSU.

Savannah

Central Connecticut State University is an extremely attainable school. Though the process of transferring from Middlesex Community was difficult at times, it was an overall easy process. The location makes it very easy for commuters and all of the teachers I have had so far are very helpful and involved. The class sizes are small and personal and I really love the art scene on campus. The art department at Central is really one of the best. Overall I feel Central is not only an affordable school but a genuinely good education.

Leo

It is a very friendly environment to be in. People are really nice and helpful. The classes are usually small which means you have a good ability to make connections with your professors and classmates. Dining services are very accommodating with allergies and have many options for food.

alessandra

As a current student, theres no campus life to start off. Not a school I would recommend if you're trying to get involved in college life really. The academics also aren't that great, but its cheaper to get a few general courses done here than anywhere else. if you want to commute for a lower cost, spend a year or two at CCSU first but go somewhere else after. Especially as a communications major, their school doesn't really to much emphasis on the major I have or in communications at all.It's not a bad school to get used to college, but if you're looking like an experience, transferring somewhere else is your best option after a little while, just like I plan to do.

savannah

It's a good school with great opportunities once/if you can find them and take advantage of them. Professors are kind and care about students who care about themselves. The students are pretty nice too. Friendly environment. Not much of a party school in my opinion though. Campus police are persistent and thorough. The on-campus housing ranges by building so make sure you ask a lot of questions to find out what best fits you. Not one of my top choice schools but the affordability makes it worth the while. Bottom line, Central is what you make of it.

Kaitlyn

My personal opinion of Central Connecticut State University is that it is a very rewarding school due to the low tuition cost and the large variety of on campus activities. As a member in musical ensembles, CCSU spands your musical knowledge and makes you enjoy going to classes every single day. It is also very rewarding to be a member of the marching band program. Being able to perform at football games and cheer the team on is a very rewarding part of the college experience. Another reason in which CCSU is a great university is that the professors are always willing and available to work with you one on one. During their office hours they are very helpful whether you need to ask a simple question or make up a quiz, they are always willing to help to better you.Central’s class sizes are also another benefit of the University. Compared to other Universities, the class size can range from ten students to one hundred depending on the class type. Typical classes are about thirty students, which gives individual attention in class and is not far off of what high school students would be used to. Lastly Central Connecticut always has fun student activities on campus, so that people can get to know each other besides their classes. Central goes out of their ways to make sure their students are having a fun and rewarding college experience which is important for campus life and for students if they need to unwind. There are events such as trips available and spirit weeks throughout the school year.

CCSU is a great university! There are always extra activities going on around campus and all the students and staff as well as the professors are super friendly! CCSU is a place of opportunity to meet new friends and connections for the future. The parties are great and the environment is super welcoming.

I truly did not like this campus. I feel like i did not fit in and the students were very judge and rude. i hated the food the dorms the classes every thing and i am only a freshman so that is saying a lot. I do not recommend this campus at all. It sucks.

Katrina

I really love Central Connecticut State University and would definitely recommend it to others. I attended a community college at first and the transition to CCSU was very easy. The campus is fairly easy to get around, students are very friendly, and your professors are there to help you if you show and communicate that you need the help!

I will be attending CCSU in the spring of 2018 and it is my top, number one school that i had wanted to go to. Everything from a great business school to division one sports is what I like about it. This college has a great number of people on campus but also a great student to teacher ratio. I cannot wait to be on campus as a student.

Erica

Central is great place to study. It is a majority commuter school, so if you are looking for a campus where people are always hanging out this may not be the school for you. One of the reasons I love central is because it is a relatively small campus, so you can't get lost easily and the buildings are near each other. Most if not all my professors cared about the students and further their education, as well as preparing them for harder classes and their careers.

Sage

CCSU has a warm and welcoming environment. I always feel safe and there are so many opportunities to get involved and stay busy, even on the weekends. The clubs are endless. The campus allows us to get involved politically as well, hosting rallies and having speakers come.

Central was my first choice school if I had to attend school in Connecticut because it has somewhat of a "homy" atmosphere. When visiting other campuses around the state, Central was the only school that I could find something I liked about and the people here (both staff and students) are amazingly kind.

Christopher

Central Connecticut State University is a great place to get your Bachelor's degree as an undergraduate student. Just recently Central Connecticut State University began offering a nice Master's program that you can get online and take at night for those who are busy individuals who work during the day.

Dusan

I think its a great place to study, its a small enough school to stand out but big enough that if youd lime you can get lost in the crowd. The sports culture is pretty sound, with atleast 4 title wins a year. The parties are kind of ok, most people end up going to the city or the college bar right next to campus, which is super easy to get in.

Anastasia

Central is not a terrible school. They focus on making sure students succeed, and the school offers a lot of outside help. Either it being the learning center or tutors... there’s always help. There is a lot of clubs to join which helps make sure no one is bored. Overall, a great school with a couple flaws

David

its not really all that bad, some professors really need to up their speed or re-do their lesson plans, i also think they need to start posting more often because a lot of them don't post grades or schedules, it really leaves students in the dark about how their doing in the classes or when anything is going to happen. ive had a professor who was only available during class hours and didnt post anything online ever. it was a very rough class and i didnt end up passing because of the lack of communication i was able to have with the teacher, i need to be able to talk to someone if necessary and be able to get feedback in return instead of someone thnking of it as just their paycheck.

Anthony

I am so excited to attend Central Connecticut State University in the fall! When I visited the school, the campus was beautiful. I will be playing football in the fall and I am looking forward to becoming a member of the Blue Devil's family! I know I will get a great education!

Michelle

CCSU was a wonderful school to attend from 2012-2016. I was able to make friends within the first 48 hours due to the programs offered by the Office of Student Affairs and the tight knit all female dorm I was in. My academic experience was phenomenal. The Physical Education Teaching department are made up of some of the best professors in the University and I also loved each English course I took. While I didn't too pay much attention to athletics, they were fun when I attended and the social life was what we made it. I never felt pressured to get involved into risky behavior and felt supported in my choices.

Victoria

Central Connecticut State University is a great place for people to learn and socialize. While the politics surrounding certain issues within the school organization can be frustrating at times, the professors are incredibly dedicated. Academics are valued in addition to the campus social experiences. There is never a dull moment.