Mount Pleasant, MI
Central Michigan University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Central Michigan University

Gene

cmu is a good community. its just the right size and it is a great campus. everyone you meet is nice and friendly.

there are a variety of students here and central but it makes it more unique and everyone seems to be friendly to everyone else.

Great academics here at CMU! my teachers always offer if you need extra help and they want you to do well. I always go to class and it helps my grades alot.

There are so many activites on campus. There is always some kind of sporting event every week that you can attend and they also have clubs and intrameral sports you can join. They also have concerts sometimes which can give you something to do on the weekend.

Harper

The one thing that I would change is that there isnt very much school pride. the only time that a majority of the students participate in athletic events or other school events is when there's pregaming and tailgating involved. it would be great to have more support at other athletic events besides football, especially since 9 out of 10 wrestlers are competing at nationals. there also isnt much awareness for events happening around campus, for example there were nooses hung in one of the buildings and very few people knew about it even though it was on the news and the school paper published numerous articles on it.

there's something for everyone here. there are many different clubs and student organizations to join and they welcome everyone. there are also so many events and activities offered that everyone should find something they enjoy. politically, i think our campus tends more to the liberal side, although there are conservative groups as well. this diversity is even seen in what people wear to class, there are those that enjoy dressing up and doing their hair and make up, and others who just throw on sweats. most students here are from michigan, but there are quite a few students from out of state and even from outside the country, especially within the athletic department.

Central is a "dumb" school, everyone here parties all the time

the most popular athletic teams on campus are (obviously) football, basketball and girls soccer, because these are the teams that have the best advertising and promotions. field hockey is a smaller, less known sport so it isnt suprising that we dont have as many fans when there arent very many students that understand the game or really know what it looks like. athletic events tend to be pretty popular, as long as there was some advertising ahead of time to give people fair notice. the best attended events are football and basketball, mostly because the community is so involved in these sports. the biggest events on campus each year are mainstage, which is a concert slash outdoor fair thing that takes place during welcome week the first weekend back at school in the fall. another big event is our annual football game against our big instate rivals western michigan. homecoming is also a really big deal. other highlights include mock rock which is hosted by the greeks each year. there is a very large greek population on campus whith many different sororities and fraternities to choose from. in the dorms it just depends, some rooms will be wide open at all times of the day, when other people keep their door not only shut, but locked as well.

the professors are great, most really do care and try to help you out where ever they can, as long as you make the attempt and ask for help. class participation varies a lot, depending on how interactive the professor makes the class and of course on how early in the morning the class meets. the biology department has excellent advisors and they really do have great advice about everything, ranging from which major will best prepare you for graduate school or admission tests (ie mcats), and which classes are the best electives, to which areas of research or volunteer activities to get involved with. i think education is pretty balanced, professors try to make it applicaple to career paths, but as always there are students who only care about getting the A so they might not get everything out of the experience.

Katelyn

The best thing about CMU is the people. They make you feel welcomed. At other schools I looked at, I felt like a number in the system. I don't feel like that here. I wouldn't change anything. The size of CMU is just right. When I first told people I was going to CMU, they looked at me like I was crazy because they thought I was one who would fit in at an Ivy League school- they looked at CMU as a party school and that is not true at all. I spend most of my time on campus at the Student Activity Center working out or at the Leadership Institute. Central is in Mt. Pleasant. It feels like any other town that I've been to so I wouldn't label it a college town. The administration is great and will help you with anything! There is A LOT of school pride. Pride is a necessity when you become a part of the Chippewa family.

Central is very diverse. I think anyone would be able to fit in here. Most students wear a tshirt and jeans to class. Most cmu students come from areas in Michigan but there are many international students as well. The most prevalent financial background is the middle class.

Central is a place where a student can explore many opportunities that will shape his or her future.

Many people think that CMU is a party school. That's not true. It's only a party school if YOU choose to make it one. I think that goes for all colleges!

There are over 250 registered student groups on campus. You can get involved in anything. I'm involved in education, music, religious, and community service organizations. Many students will leave their dorms open. Football games are extremely popular and many other sports are too. There is always some sort of guest speaker or presentation going on about an array of topics.

No- you have the ability to decide how you want to spend your time throughout your college experience.

Many professors will get to know you by name especially if you speak up in class or ask them questions. They usually don't mind helping a student. My favorite class was EDU 107H. It was an introduction to education and I loved the professor and it was an honors class so there were only 20 people in it. I hate geo 120 just because it is boring but I do like the map quizzes. Students aren't really competitive- except if you are a Leader Advancement Scholar like I am. Out of the 40 students who get the scholarship, some try to make it a huge competition. The most unique class I've taken is HEV 100H. It's intro to human growth and development- the professor tries to teach in a unique way. I'm going into secondary education majoring in social studies and triple minoring in history, leadership, and math. CMU is greared towards both learining and preparing its students for the work force.

Alex

The best thing about Central is the greek life. I wouldn't really change anything, i honestly love it here, the campus isnt huge and we have a fairly neutral reputation that maybe leans toward party school. I personally spend most of my time in the dorms or at my sorority house. I dont have an opinion about the administration but there was a big deal made about the nooses found in the Engineering and Technology building. It's impossible to walk anywhere on campus and not see students wearing they're maroon and gold. I'm never going to forget when the entire city of Mt. Pleasant was blacked out. The thing that students seem to complain about most is that its cold and CMU doesnt keep the ice off the sidewalks well enough.

In all honesty, I have yet to meet a student I haven't liked. Part of the reason I decided to go to Central was because when I visited all the students i met were very nice. Theres a great variety of what students wear to class, but most students wear jeans or sweatpants and t-shirts or sweatshirts. If your looking at 4 tables in the dining hall, you'll probably see a student eating alone reading or studying, and various groups at the others. People who just got out a class together, or roommates eating together. I'm pretty sure most students at Central are from Michigan, but I have classmates from other states and countries. I don't really know or care what the finacial backgrounds of most of the students are. The students I choose to spend time with are politically aware, but I have no idea about the rest of the student body.

Quite frankly, this is a little rediculus, I can hardly speak for the majority of students on a college campus like Central. we're not a huge college, but we're large enough that I walk by new people each and every day. This is not Alma and this is not a high school. To try and categorize it like one is stupid. The only way for a potential student to know if they'll be happy at a school is to physically go visit it and talk to the current students.

There are very few lecture style classes here, most classes max out at 30-40 students. In an honors class, there can only be 20 students. My least favorite class since i've been here was Psycology. It was at least 250 students in a lecture hall at 9am. All the material covered was in the book almost word for word. I had no reason to show up for any class periods unless there was a quiz. I eat lunch everyday after my French class with a group of students and we discuss everything from life on campus to politics. My major department is great. The professors and advisors are very accessible and my major classes are only monday through thursdays. Theres a high job placement rate and they hold career days and job fairs to help us learn about and get in touch with people from our fields.

Yes and no. Just like any other community there is a wide variety of personalities.

Girls at Central have a reputation of being easy.

I'm a member of the greek community here at Central. I joined a social sorority called Alpha Sigma Alpha. It's been a great way to meet other students, whether they're greek or are interested in becoming greek. It's fun to be a part of such a diverse sub-community on campus. A lot of students leave they doors open. The football games are always packed as for the other sports events I dont know. In some classes it's required to attend theatre performances or go listen to a guest speaker. I haven't got a clue about the dating scene here because I came here already in a committed relationship and have no interest in dating anyone else. When im awake at 2am its usually because i'm finishing homework that I had put off earlier. There's a lot of activities around campus that are well advertised if you need something to do. I think that fraternities/sororities are very important, but I'm also in one.

I like the size of CMU its a beautiful campus, and its not so big that you feel overwhelmed. I don't spend much time on campus, and the town is still developing into more of a college town. Mt. Pleasant isn't a big city, but you can still find things to do. I personally haven't had any problem with the administration here and most faculty and staff that I have dealt with are very helpful. CMU has a lot of school pride. Every sporting event that I have gone to during my time here has had its share of excited fans. The most frequent complaint is probably about parking, but I know that is the case at a lot of schools.

I can't really say what types of students might feel out of place because I feel I fit here very well.

No. People do party, but that happens at every school. I don't think CMU students party any more than students at other schools. The school does care a lot about football, especially because of the great records we've had in the last couple years. However, I haven't seen anything that demonstrates that they are neglecting other areas.

In smaller classes professors know your name, but in larger classes it is a lot less likely. That is one thing I miss from going to a community college. I've had a lot of great classes here, but my favorite right now is JRN 500-current issues in mass communication. I feel like this class is teaching me to be an informed citizen. I don't know how much other students study, but i study a lot because of my heavy course load. I really like the journalism program here, when I graduate I think I'll be well prepared to enter the job market.

There are a ton of student organizations to get involved in. I think every person on campus could probaly find an RSO to fit with their hobbies and interest. I've seen large crowds at both athletic events and theatrical performances. Students attend things that best fit their interest.

I've heard a lot of people say that CMU is a party school and all the administration cares about is football.

Lane

The campus is just the right size. You can walk from one end of the campus to the other is 15-20 minutes

The student body is primarily white but the university is making great efforts to diversify

the largest student organization on campus is the public relations student soceity of america (PRSA) Almost every night, at least one bar is known for a drink special. There's always a reason to go out and it's really cheap to go to a bar in Mount Pleasant.

The academic requirements are ok

Jenny

there are limitless opportunities- i'd move it to a warmer location- just right- some are surprised b/c I turned down u of m to go here- dorm, probably- mt. pleasant, definitely a college town- pretty good- the hanging of 4 nooses in a classroom- FIRE UP CHIPS!!!- they offer a leadership minor- that one time w/ my sisters- recently it 's been that the side walks are too icy

cmu has a very diverse student body- i dont think anyone would feel out of place- jeans or sweatpants w/ a hoodie- yes- packed with a bunch of different people- most are from somewhere in michigan w/ a majority of them from metro detroit- i have no idea- yes- i would say center left- i dont know

There is definitely a social aspect to life at CMU and always a party to go to, but there are real classes & student get a quality education.

It's a blow off school where everyone just goes out and parties ALL the time.

greek like is HUGE, so is sga and program board, but there are over 300 so everyone can find something- my sorority is amazing, it's given me so many opportunities both on campus and off and i've made lifelong friends- generally, but it depends on the dorm- football is huge, and the others are pretty decent as well especially since tickets are FREE to all students- we have a ton of guest speakers(at least one each week) and they are almost always free- there are lots of people to date and lots of places to go- sorority sisters & my roommates- i like to sleep- too many to talk about- there is a party every night if you want one, but it all depends on what you're looking for- greek life is really big on campus- my sibs came up for sibs weekend....& i went to a party=]- speakers, movies, ice skating, roller skating, sporting event, gym, etc...- volunteer, work

almost all of them- ldr200L b/c i like to learn about leadership, chm101 b/c i hate science- depends on the student- in most classes- many do- yes- my leadership classes- im a double major in broadcasting & spanish & both departments are very helpful and offer a lot of opportunity for in class and out of class experience- when I need help i go to their office hours- i think some of the gen ed requirements should be cut if you took a similar class in high school and did well- geared toward's a job

Central Michigan University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.