Mount Pleasant, MI
Central Michigan University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Central Michigan University

CMU is a very close community. It's very friendly and welcoming. There are many opportunities to get involved in many groups, not just Greek groups, but campus groups. The campus has a very "home-y" feeling to it. The teachers are very enthusiastic about teaching and are always willing to help the students.

Friendly. Lively. Enthusiastic about being a Chippewa. There is no stereotype that fits a CMU student, everyone fits in. Most CMU students come from Michigan; however, there is no distinction between those who are and those who aren't. There is a lot of activism on this campus, everyone's word is heard and respected.

Greek life is the greatest! It's a nice connection and a great way to know people. Sorority life leads to lifelong friendship and a home away from home. It's one of the best decisions I've ever made!

Not very intelligent, big partiers

No. A lot of CMU students enjoy the smaller feel of Mt. Pleasant and Central's campus. As a transfer student from MSU I don't find the curriculum any less difficult.

All professors strive to know every students name. The class size is perfect. There is competition amongst students to excel scholastically, but it is not threatening, it's friendly competition. The departments are very helpful and easily accessible. The education is definitely in preparation for jobs and the real world. There are many opportunities and offices geared towards helping students find jobs and set up internships.

Alyssa

Good size campus but not enough parking. The town is small and there is not much to do here. I feel like there is quite a bit of school pride but there could be more. The experience that I will always remember is my experience being greek.

Many students just wear sweatpants, sweatshirts, and jeans to class. I feel that most Central students are from the Detroit area. I feel that students are not very politically aware or active. Yes, students talk about how much they will earn one day.

I don't believe it is the way it used to be 10 years ago. I feel that we are not the biggest party school in Michigan anymore.

Many people think that CMU is a party school.

I feel that students do not study as much as they should. The biology department offers good courses that I feel are not offered at all other schools. I do not spend time with my professors out of class. I feel that Central does gear you towards getting a job.

Sororities, fraternities and sports are the most popular groups on campus. I am a part of Delta Zeta and it has been an amazing experience being a part of this group. It has introduced me to many people and leadership opportunities. Some students leave their doors open in the dorms but not all. The athletic events are not that popular. Most people date people that they met at a party or at the bar. I met my closest friends through Delta Zeta. People party all the time. On a Saturday you could go bowling or to the movies for activities that do not involve drinking.

Maureen

I really like Central because it is a small school, but not too small. It is the perfect size for me because of the teacher interaction as well as the closeness of the campus in general. The campus is very pretty too and is fun to walk through on the way to classes.

I think that the student body is very separated. A lot of students on campus are Greek, and this creates a division between people.

I am a member of Sigma Sigma Sigma sorority and I absolutely love it! This Greek chapter has made my time a Central more rewarding.

I think that the academics at Central are very good and provide a good teacher to student ratio. The classes are of a good size and allow interaction instead of just lecture.

No, they aren't because there is always something to do in Mt. Pleasant.

There is a stereotype that Central Michigan is located in a small town and that there is never anything to do, although my friends and I are always busy.

I think that all of the on campus organizations are good because they get people involved and help build freindships and connections for life.

Chelsea

Everyone at CMU is so friendly. I've never been on a campus where people smile at each other as much as this one. This is the only school to offer a leadership minor which is awesome. it is the perfect size-not too big or too small. there is a ton of school pride...the student section at football games is so much fun.

cmu tries very hard to promote diversity and work and emphasize that cmu is a diverse school. it is easy to get involved at cmu if you want to. there are students here from all over the state...its fun to hear about the UP and the west side of that state.

some of them are. it is just as much of a party school as any other college in michigan. it is easier to get into than msu, u of m, etc but just as easy as western or eastern. it is a good school for education majors.

class sizes range from 15-200. average class size is 40. like any other college, some professors are great, others are terrible. i don't like how people think that any one can get into CMU. i work in the admissions office and last year our average freshman gpa was 3.3 and act was 22. it is particularly hard to get in but not easy. the teaching program is awesome...i havent had any complaints so far.

Party school, boring town, easy to get in to, good school for going into teaching

greek life is very popular on this campus. being part of a sorority, i think it is one of the best ways to get involved at cmu. there are certain nights that everyone goes out and has fun...tues, thursdays and the weekend. people party quite a bit and have fun.

Vanessa

The best thing about Central is its atmosphere. It is a very friendly campus. I came from a very small town and it was no problem adjusting to this. The professors are willing to help you and its all together a homey environment.

The student body at Central is filled with helpful individuals. There are many different student organizations for one to get inolved in. I myself chose greek life and it has helped me so much. I always have someone there who is interested in the same things that I am, or to go to if I need help in a class.

Every college has their partying but I do not think that it is what all of Central is about. It does have a very good teaching program, I had several teachers in high school who graduated from here.

The Social life at CMU is a lot of fun. There is always something going on around campus and it is a very friendly environment. There is never time where if you do not want to be in your room watching tv you, you have no other options. There is always something happening.

Steroptypes about CMU are that it is a party school, and that people only come here if that is what they want to do. It is also thought of as a teaching college.

Central Michigan has really good professors who are willing to take the extra time out of the classroom to help you. They set you up with internships and give you really good resources so that you get the best out of your classes. The most unique class that I have taken thus far is a BLR class, the professor was an actual attorney so he was able to give us real live situations.

Felisha

I think that the school it self is over programmed with too many RSO's doing the same things. Our campus is too small for all the activities that we have going on

Very diverse compared to what I thought it would be going into it. The classes have more cultures and backgrounds than originally expected. It adds to the learning experience and helps out a ton

Its a small hick town that has little to offer the students. The students then choose to party all the time because there is nothing better to do

Teachers that can't speak english and properly teach a class should not be teaching. The number of credits for some majors are too low to set any standard for meeting the graduation requirement of 124 credits.

There are not enough students that are Greek. The image of the greek society on CMUs campus is poor and its doesn't just come from the students. The faculty have all the stereo types of greeks in their minds and no matter how much good the greeks do on campus it is a big misconception that as all we do is party. We were all founded on something bigger than any of us could have possibly dreamed of. The fact that the campus keeps trying to bring down all the good things that we try and accomplish on campus is a crappy thing to do.

Ben

1. The Musical opportunities 2. Nothing 3. Just right 4. They think I am a big partier 5. In the Music Building 6. College Town 7. They do a good job. I have never had any issues with the administration. 8. The nooses that were made in the science building as a racial joke. 9. Yes!! Fire up Chips!!! 10. No 11. Singing the Alma Matter around the "Rock" at 10:30Pm with all my brothers 12. Parking issues and MIPs

Not all of them are accurate. Statistically there are more white people than any other nationality at CMU. Also many people drink, but they are not out to defile themselves like most people think. In fact most Christian groups on campus look down on people that like to party.

Most students are white and most students drink a lot of Alcohol and party a lot.

Kristen

I think Central Michigan is a great school. One thing I really like is our campus. All of the academic buildings are in the center of campus and are mostly all by each other. From the dorms, the farthest walk is only fifteen minutes. Another thing I really like is the dorms. Most of the dorms on campus have two bedrooms, one main living space, and a bathroom. Each room gets a bathroom, which means no community bathroom! You only have to share a bathroom with 3 other people instead of everyone on your floor. The newest dorms are also very luxurious for dorms. It is apartment style which means everyone gets their own bedroom and there are two bathrooms to four people instead of just one bathroom. The main living area is also much bigger and it is very nice! I believe CMU is just the right size as well. It's not so big that you have to walk twenty miles to get to the other side of campus, but it's not so small that you feel like you're still in high school. There are still a lot of people and you'll probably never get to know everyone in your grade. CMU is also a big college town. Most of the population in Mt. Pleasant are college students. There are a lot of elementary schools and a high school, but the college is what brings in the most people. I've heard that Mt. Pleasant is dead in the summer and on vacations like Christmas and spring break. CMU also has some really great academic programs. For example, the one CMU is most known for is our athletic training program. Another program CMU is known for is it's public relations program. Most people don't know about the PR program, but it's student organization, PRSSA, is nationally recognized and employers really like to see involvement in that on resumes. FIRE UP CHIPS!

If you're looking for a school that's not in a huge city, but you're looking for a great education, a fun time, and a chance to meet a bunch of really cool people, seriously come to Central Michigan. FIRE UP CHIPS!!!!!!!!!! :)

My favorite class that I've taken so far would have to be ENG 101 and ENG 201. It is because the teacher made it such a great class. Unfortunately, she does not teach here anymore. Plus, I just love to write and her class really helped me grow and become a better writer. I believe the education at CMU is definitely geared toward getting a job. For most majors, you have to have at least one internship and I believe internships really give you a sneak peek at what the real world will be like. It also helps you network with people in your career field so you can get a good word put in for you for the future.

No, because honestly, what college isn't a big party school? There are going to be a lot of parties no matter what college you attend.

Our football team is very popular on campus. But they have a right to be popular because they've won two MAC championships two years in a row and they've also went to the Motor City Bowl two years in a row and won it the first year they went. They have a great program here. I am involved with the women's soccer program. We have held the highest GPA in the nation for the past two years in a row and are shooting for a third year. As for the dorm scene, if you keep your door open, you will meet a lot more people and your experience will be much more fun. If you get close to your neighbors it can be awesome because you can just walk in to each other's room and sit down and just talk or watch a movie together or just have fun. I believe it's also important to try and get along with your roommates because obviously you will have a better experience. If not, just try to make the best of it and if worse comes to worse, the RA's will let you switch rooms. I met my closest friends, who are my roommates, through soccer so I think it's important to be involved whether it be through a sport, a club team, a student organization, or even if you just do the freshman Leadership Safari before school starts. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, that usually means I'm studying for a really hard test I have the next day or the day after that. Otherwise, I'm fer sure sleeping.

A lot of people think CMU is a huge party school.

Katie

The best thing is I'm happy here it is my second home. I never dread coming back here. One thing I would change is the way classes are schelduled for freshmen. I think it should be explained more that they have the summer to change their classes online. What they do at oreintation isn't final. My school is just the right size. It is big enough to meet a lot of people from all walks of life. You don't have to see certain people if you don't want to. It makes classes big and small. It isn't to small that you see the same people always. People smile and ask how it is going. Many people ask if I party. Most of my time on campus is spent in my dorm or in class. Mt. Pleasant is a college town. When the students leave the population drops more then half. I think our administration is fair. One of the biggest recent controversies was if we were going to have to make up snow days. Central has school spirit and pride. One experience I will always remember is the first weeks of my freshmen year. I went from hating it here to falling in love with college life. The most frequent student complaint is the price of books.

One sterotype that people have about Central Michigan University is that the school is a party school. People believe everyone here partys constantly. They think people just go here to party. It upsets me because it simply isn't true. If it was completely true whey would so many people apply here? People are turned away every year. I graduated with a 3.7 grade point and honors and chose to come here. I was accepted to other unviversites. I wanted to come here for my program, the beautiful campus, the great people, and organizations. It wasn't because I thought I could party every night. There are just as many parties here as one every other college campus.

No, the sterotype isn't accurate.

No, not all my professors know my name. My favorite class is Communication Disorders 230 because it is the first class in my major. Yea we have intellectual conversations outside of class. More often wouldn't hurt though.

Allison

The best thing about Central Michigan is the people I've met and the oppurtunites I've been expose too. One thing I would change is to revamp North Campus. (which they are doing next year) The school size is just right for me. People are sometimes suprised that I chose to go to CMU. I spend most of my time in my dorm. Mt. Pleasant definately embraces CMU. Ive enjoyed most of the faculty at Central but there still are some professors I could do w/out. I dont know of any big controversies the school has experienced. There is definitely a lot of school pride. Central is a very involved campus something that is not always found around other colleges. An experience I'll always remember is everything I've done while being involved in LAS. THe most frequent complaints would be the icy sidewalks in the winter.

My experiences w/ religion on campus would be that I attend the University Catholic parish. I dont think students would feel left out at CMU. Most students just dress how they want to class. Different studens definately interact on campus. Each of those four tables would be different groups of friends. Most CMU students are from Michigan. I dont know about the financial backgrounds. Some students are politically active. I dont konw how their views swing. I havent come across a conversation about money.

That Central is a party school.

The Greek organizations are probably the most popular on campus. A group I am invovled in is Hall council. Students in my door definately have their doors open. Athletic events are very popular.

Not many of my professors know my name but thats because i choose it to be that way. My favorite class is my history class. My least favorite is chemistry. How students study depends on the class and the student. Class particpation is common in some classes and not in others. I dont find myself getting into very many intellectual converstaions, but I dont want to have them. Students are definitely competitive. The most unique class I have taken is fundamental motor skills. My major is health fitness because I want to get into PT school. I do not spend much time w/ my professors outside of calls. I feel that CMUs academic requirements are satisfactory. The education I am getting will hopefully get me prepared for getting into PT school.

Central Michigan University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.