Mount Pleasant, MI
Central Michigan University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Central Michigan University

Katie

The best thing is I'm happy here it is my second home. I never dread coming back here. One thing I would change is the way classes are schelduled for freshmen. I think it should be explained more that they have the summer to change their classes online. What they do at oreintation isn't final. My school is just the right size. It is big enough to meet a lot of people from all walks of life. You don't have to see certain people if you don't want to. It makes classes big and small. It isn't to small that you see the same people always. People smile and ask how it is going. Many people ask if I party. Most of my time on campus is spent in my dorm or in class. Mt. Pleasant is a college town. When the students leave the population drops more then half. I think our administration is fair. One of the biggest recent controversies was if we were going to have to make up snow days. Central has school spirit and pride. One experience I will always remember is the first weeks of my freshmen year. I went from hating it here to falling in love with college life. The most frequent student complaint is the price of books.

One sterotype that people have about Central Michigan University is that the school is a party school. People believe everyone here partys constantly. They think people just go here to party. It upsets me because it simply isn't true. If it was completely true whey would so many people apply here? People are turned away every year. I graduated with a 3.7 grade point and honors and chose to come here. I was accepted to other unviversites. I wanted to come here for my program, the beautiful campus, the great people, and organizations. It wasn't because I thought I could party every night. There are just as many parties here as one every other college campus.

No, the sterotype isn't accurate.

No, not all my professors know my name. My favorite class is Communication Disorders 230 because it is the first class in my major. Yea we have intellectual conversations outside of class. More often wouldn't hurt though.

Allison

The best thing about Central Michigan is the people I've met and the oppurtunites I've been expose too. One thing I would change is to revamp North Campus. (which they are doing next year) The school size is just right for me. People are sometimes suprised that I chose to go to CMU. I spend most of my time in my dorm. Mt. Pleasant definately embraces CMU. Ive enjoyed most of the faculty at Central but there still are some professors I could do w/out. I dont know of any big controversies the school has experienced. There is definitely a lot of school pride. Central is a very involved campus something that is not always found around other colleges. An experience I'll always remember is everything I've done while being involved in LAS. THe most frequent complaints would be the icy sidewalks in the winter.

My experiences w/ religion on campus would be that I attend the University Catholic parish. I dont think students would feel left out at CMU. Most students just dress how they want to class. Different studens definately interact on campus. Each of those four tables would be different groups of friends. Most CMU students are from Michigan. I dont know about the financial backgrounds. Some students are politically active. I dont konw how their views swing. I havent come across a conversation about money.

That Central is a party school.

The Greek organizations are probably the most popular on campus. A group I am invovled in is Hall council. Students in my door definately have their doors open. Athletic events are very popular.

Not many of my professors know my name but thats because i choose it to be that way. My favorite class is my history class. My least favorite is chemistry. How students study depends on the class and the student. Class particpation is common in some classes and not in others. I dont find myself getting into very many intellectual converstaions, but I dont want to have them. Students are definitely competitive. The most unique class I have taken is fundamental motor skills. My major is health fitness because I want to get into PT school. I do not spend much time w/ my professors outside of calls. I feel that CMUs academic requirements are satisfactory. The education I am getting will hopefully get me prepared for getting into PT school.

Akli

I like that Central Michigan isn't too small and it isn't too big. I like the variety of class sizes and the closeness to everything in and around campus.

I haven't experienced any problems.

I think a lot of the sports teams are pretty popular, especially Men's Basketball and football, as well as Wrestling.

Most of my professors know my name because I introduce myself to my teachers at the beginning of every semester. Some teachers, understandably, forgot my name due to the fact that they teach so many classes, and upon that, their classes may have about 300 students in them.

Wade

I think that the best thing about CMU would have to be it's academics. One thing that I would change would be the elimination of stereotypes. I would say the size of the school is just right. Being from Indiana, most people don't even know that CMU exists, let alone know where it's at; the only exception is with athletics, because some of our sport teams are known outside of Michigan. I spend most of my time on campus either in my dorm or the IAC. I would say that CMU is a college town. For the most part, I'm happy with the administration, although there are a couple of things I don't fully agree with. The biggest recent controversy that I remember would probably be the deal with the nooses. I guess there's school pride, everyone seems to enjoy going to the tailgating for football anyway. I don't find anything unusual about CMU- it seems like a traditional college campus. One experience I will always remember is hosting the MAC Cross Country Championships at Riverwood last fall. Although it's pointless, the most frequent complaint I hear is people never getting enough sleep and then having to wake up for early classes.

My belief in groups is that even though they preach diversity and how we all should get along, I feel that all they are doing is bring the prejiduces upon themselves because they're pointing out diversities that I feel if they were not rubbed in my face everybody would probably get along much better. I would say anybody of Hispanic origin would feel out of place at CMU. Most students seem to wear jeans and t-shirts to class, but you get alot of sweats too; you mostly see girls dressing up to go to class more. Four tables? I would guess you would mean figuratively; I'm going to say athletes, the normal student body that is divided into two groups (people who are loud and seem to be complete idiots, and people who just want to go down and eat in peace and quiet), and finally minorities, usually foriegn students whom seem to be a majority asian. Most students from CMU are from a middle class to upper class home, and are from Michigan. Like I said, mostly middle class going into the lower part of upperclass. I'd say about 25% of students are politically aware and active. Most of these students are left-winged, but I feel the majority are just going with the "norm" because I guess it's "cool" to be liberal and "radical". I've personally never heard anybody bring up in a conversation that they're going to make this amount of money someday.

Obviously the most popular groups on campus would be the fraternities and sororities, closely followed by the more exclusive football team, and then the rest of the athletics teams. I'm involved in both cross country and track, and I absolutely love it. I feel that running teaches me many things in life, and the degree of which we do it pushes our limits to such extremes that it makes anything seem possible. I would say that, at least in my hall, about half of people leave their doors open in the evening when everyone's usually back. Football, basketball, and baseball games are popular. Not athletic events. In my opinion more people went to CMU vs. WMU game at Western than drove the 3 miles down the road to go watch the cross country MAC Championship race. What dating scene? All I ever here about it people hooking up with someone for a night at a party that they more often then not don't remember. I met my closest friends through running. If I'm ever awake past midnight, I'm doing homework. The biggest traditional that I've heard about is Central/Western weekend, which of course didn't happen this year. I would say, on average, that people party probably about 2-3 nights out of the week. Fraternities/Sororities are only important to host large parties, other than that I don't see them raching out to the community or the school much. Last weekend I ran, slept a lot, and went to my second party of the year where I left at midnight because I was getting bored. Besides drinking, you can go see a movie, grab dinner with some friends, stay in and relax, or catch up on homework or get to bed early. About the only things I do off campus are go to Wal-mart, go out to eat, go see a movie, and run.

People who play sports don't care about their schoolwork and classes because the administration pushes them through no matter what.

Of course not. Plenty of athletes care about their academics, I actually think it's the other was around. I feel like more athletes care about their academics than do people who aren't involved in any extracurriculars.

I don't think that many of professors know my name- I'm just trying to get in, learn what I need to, then move on. My favorite class would probably have to be HST 101, I really enjoy the dicussion group for that class. My least favorite class so far would probably be TAI 170- it's not a bad class, just not something that I personally enjoy. Competitiveness really depends on what the topic is- schoolwise, definently not. The most unique class I've ever taken would probably be EDU 107. My department is the education department, and I believe it is the best department on campus. I spend close to no time out of class with professors. I believe that CMU's academic requirements are high, but could be even higher. I would say geared towards both, but more towards getting a job.

Central Michigan is just right in size because you can walk just about anywhere on campus and see familiar faces all the time. Most of time on campus is spent in the Rose building where I practice gymnastics. Aside from that, you can find me at Grawn where all my classes are now. I think Mt. Pleasant is a college town within a town because there are other members of the community besides college students. I have a lot of school pride because I think CMU is a great school that provides a quality education to students, and I also have a lot of Chippewa pride because I am in athletics and I know how hard all the athletes work.

I do not think anyone would feel out of place at this school. I think we have a very diverse student body, and I love it! Most students wear sweat pants and a sweatshirt or jeans and a t-shirt, as long as they are comfortable!

Yes, all my professors know my name because of the smaller class sizes. Class participation is very common in all my classes; students are not afraid to actively work in the classroom, which helps everyone learn better. CMU's academic requirements allow for students to be more well rounded people when they graduate.

Gene

cmu is a good community. its just the right size and it is a great campus. everyone you meet is nice and friendly.

there are a variety of students here and central but it makes it more unique and everyone seems to be friendly to everyone else.

Great academics here at CMU! my teachers always offer if you need extra help and they want you to do well. I always go to class and it helps my grades alot.

There are so many activites on campus. There is always some kind of sporting event every week that you can attend and they also have clubs and intrameral sports you can join. They also have concerts sometimes which can give you something to do on the weekend.

Harper

The one thing that I would change is that there isnt very much school pride. the only time that a majority of the students participate in athletic events or other school events is when there's pregaming and tailgating involved. it would be great to have more support at other athletic events besides football, especially since 9 out of 10 wrestlers are competing at nationals. there also isnt much awareness for events happening around campus, for example there were nooses hung in one of the buildings and very few people knew about it even though it was on the news and the school paper published numerous articles on it.

there's something for everyone here. there are many different clubs and student organizations to join and they welcome everyone. there are also so many events and activities offered that everyone should find something they enjoy. politically, i think our campus tends more to the liberal side, although there are conservative groups as well. this diversity is even seen in what people wear to class, there are those that enjoy dressing up and doing their hair and make up, and others who just throw on sweats. most students here are from michigan, but there are quite a few students from out of state and even from outside the country, especially within the athletic department.

Central is a "dumb" school, everyone here parties all the time

the most popular athletic teams on campus are (obviously) football, basketball and girls soccer, because these are the teams that have the best advertising and promotions. field hockey is a smaller, less known sport so it isnt suprising that we dont have as many fans when there arent very many students that understand the game or really know what it looks like. athletic events tend to be pretty popular, as long as there was some advertising ahead of time to give people fair notice. the best attended events are football and basketball, mostly because the community is so involved in these sports. the biggest events on campus each year are mainstage, which is a concert slash outdoor fair thing that takes place during welcome week the first weekend back at school in the fall. another big event is our annual football game against our big instate rivals western michigan. homecoming is also a really big deal. other highlights include mock rock which is hosted by the greeks each year. there is a very large greek population on campus whith many different sororities and fraternities to choose from. in the dorms it just depends, some rooms will be wide open at all times of the day, when other people keep their door not only shut, but locked as well.

the professors are great, most really do care and try to help you out where ever they can, as long as you make the attempt and ask for help. class participation varies a lot, depending on how interactive the professor makes the class and of course on how early in the morning the class meets. the biology department has excellent advisors and they really do have great advice about everything, ranging from which major will best prepare you for graduate school or admission tests (ie mcats), and which classes are the best electives, to which areas of research or volunteer activities to get involved with. i think education is pretty balanced, professors try to make it applicaple to career paths, but as always there are students who only care about getting the A so they might not get everything out of the experience.

Katelyn

The best thing about CMU is the people. They make you feel welcomed. At other schools I looked at, I felt like a number in the system. I don't feel like that here. I wouldn't change anything. The size of CMU is just right. When I first told people I was going to CMU, they looked at me like I was crazy because they thought I was one who would fit in at an Ivy League school- they looked at CMU as a party school and that is not true at all. I spend most of my time on campus at the Student Activity Center working out or at the Leadership Institute. Central is in Mt. Pleasant. It feels like any other town that I've been to so I wouldn't label it a college town. The administration is great and will help you with anything! There is A LOT of school pride. Pride is a necessity when you become a part of the Chippewa family.

Central is very diverse. I think anyone would be able to fit in here. Most students wear a tshirt and jeans to class. Most cmu students come from areas in Michigan but there are many international students as well. The most prevalent financial background is the middle class.

Central is a place where a student can explore many opportunities that will shape his or her future.

Many people think that CMU is a party school. That's not true. It's only a party school if YOU choose to make it one. I think that goes for all colleges!

There are over 250 registered student groups on campus. You can get involved in anything. I'm involved in education, music, religious, and community service organizations. Many students will leave their dorms open. Football games are extremely popular and many other sports are too. There is always some sort of guest speaker or presentation going on about an array of topics.

No- you have the ability to decide how you want to spend your time throughout your college experience.

Many professors will get to know you by name especially if you speak up in class or ask them questions. They usually don't mind helping a student. My favorite class was EDU 107H. It was an introduction to education and I loved the professor and it was an honors class so there were only 20 people in it. I hate geo 120 just because it is boring but I do like the map quizzes. Students aren't really competitive- except if you are a Leader Advancement Scholar like I am. Out of the 40 students who get the scholarship, some try to make it a huge competition. The most unique class I've taken is HEV 100H. It's intro to human growth and development- the professor tries to teach in a unique way. I'm going into secondary education majoring in social studies and triple minoring in history, leadership, and math. CMU is greared towards both learining and preparing its students for the work force.

Alex

The best thing about Central is the greek life. I wouldn't really change anything, i honestly love it here, the campus isnt huge and we have a fairly neutral reputation that maybe leans toward party school. I personally spend most of my time in the dorms or at my sorority house. I dont have an opinion about the administration but there was a big deal made about the nooses found in the Engineering and Technology building. It's impossible to walk anywhere on campus and not see students wearing they're maroon and gold. I'm never going to forget when the entire city of Mt. Pleasant was blacked out. The thing that students seem to complain about most is that its cold and CMU doesnt keep the ice off the sidewalks well enough.

In all honesty, I have yet to meet a student I haven't liked. Part of the reason I decided to go to Central was because when I visited all the students i met were very nice. Theres a great variety of what students wear to class, but most students wear jeans or sweatpants and t-shirts or sweatshirts. If your looking at 4 tables in the dining hall, you'll probably see a student eating alone reading or studying, and various groups at the others. People who just got out a class together, or roommates eating together. I'm pretty sure most students at Central are from Michigan, but I have classmates from other states and countries. I don't really know or care what the finacial backgrounds of most of the students are. The students I choose to spend time with are politically aware, but I have no idea about the rest of the student body.

Quite frankly, this is a little rediculus, I can hardly speak for the majority of students on a college campus like Central. we're not a huge college, but we're large enough that I walk by new people each and every day. This is not Alma and this is not a high school. To try and categorize it like one is stupid. The only way for a potential student to know if they'll be happy at a school is to physically go visit it and talk to the current students.

There are very few lecture style classes here, most classes max out at 30-40 students. In an honors class, there can only be 20 students. My least favorite class since i've been here was Psycology. It was at least 250 students in a lecture hall at 9am. All the material covered was in the book almost word for word. I had no reason to show up for any class periods unless there was a quiz. I eat lunch everyday after my French class with a group of students and we discuss everything from life on campus to politics. My major department is great. The professors and advisors are very accessible and my major classes are only monday through thursdays. Theres a high job placement rate and they hold career days and job fairs to help us learn about and get in touch with people from our fields.

Yes and no. Just like any other community there is a wide variety of personalities.

Girls at Central have a reputation of being easy.

I'm a member of the greek community here at Central. I joined a social sorority called Alpha Sigma Alpha. It's been a great way to meet other students, whether they're greek or are interested in becoming greek. It's fun to be a part of such a diverse sub-community on campus. A lot of students leave they doors open. The football games are always packed as for the other sports events I dont know. In some classes it's required to attend theatre performances or go listen to a guest speaker. I haven't got a clue about the dating scene here because I came here already in a committed relationship and have no interest in dating anyone else. When im awake at 2am its usually because i'm finishing homework that I had put off earlier. There's a lot of activities around campus that are well advertised if you need something to do. I think that fraternities/sororities are very important, but I'm also in one.

I like the size of CMU its a beautiful campus, and its not so big that you feel overwhelmed. I don't spend much time on campus, and the town is still developing into more of a college town. Mt. Pleasant isn't a big city, but you can still find things to do. I personally haven't had any problem with the administration here and most faculty and staff that I have dealt with are very helpful. CMU has a lot of school pride. Every sporting event that I have gone to during my time here has had its share of excited fans. The most frequent complaint is probably about parking, but I know that is the case at a lot of schools.

I can't really say what types of students might feel out of place because I feel I fit here very well.

No. People do party, but that happens at every school. I don't think CMU students party any more than students at other schools. The school does care a lot about football, especially because of the great records we've had in the last couple years. However, I haven't seen anything that demonstrates that they are neglecting other areas.

In smaller classes professors know your name, but in larger classes it is a lot less likely. That is one thing I miss from going to a community college. I've had a lot of great classes here, but my favorite right now is JRN 500-current issues in mass communication. I feel like this class is teaching me to be an informed citizen. I don't know how much other students study, but i study a lot because of my heavy course load. I really like the journalism program here, when I graduate I think I'll be well prepared to enter the job market.

There are a ton of student organizations to get involved in. I think every person on campus could probaly find an RSO to fit with their hobbies and interest. I've seen large crowds at both athletic events and theatrical performances. Students attend things that best fit their interest.

I've heard a lot of people say that CMU is a party school and all the administration cares about is football.

Central Michigan University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.