Central Michigan University

« See more reviews of Central Michigan University

I think greek life has many stereotypes. People dont always give greeks the respect and credit we deserve. We do a lot most work than the average college student and I dont feel that that is always represented as so. CMU is not racially mixed. A black person or ethnic person would feel out of place. I wear leggings and UGG boots to class. For the most part, different types of students do not interact. I do not go to the dinning hall. Most central students are from Metro Detroit (or at least I like to think that). Most the people I know are well off finiancially. Mostly middle class i guess. No students are not politically aware or active. I dont know what that means L, R, or center. Yes, students talk about how much they'll earn one day.

There are almost no boundaries to what students wear to class. I have worn both sweatpants and suits before. We are very diverse in what we wear around campus. Most Central students are from either the metro detroit area, Saginaw, Grand Rapids, or the U.P. A student who would feel out of place is someone who is just looking for a degree. Someone who doesn't want to make lifelong friends, go to socials, meet people and have fun. They are strictly paying for college to get their degree and move on with life. At Central the students enjoy college and work to better themselves so that when they get out into the real world they are well rounded.

I like how involved the RSO's on campus are, but only when they are proactive and not assulting, such as the Young American's for Freedom where in Spring 2007. I feel that I am not as educated as I would like to be on many current events and issues relating to the student body on this campus, but due to PR, programs and other events put on by the diverse RSO's, I am able to culture myself a little bit more. I'd say that most students are comfortable going to class in sweats, or most commonly, jeans and a t-shirt. Most students come from middle income families who are taking out loans to make their way through the college years.

There is diversity on CMU's campus but it is not just racial. We have programs such as the Gay Straight Alliance to help reduce people stereotypes and teach students about different groups of people. There are cultural celebrations every month that focus on different groups, and there are cultural fraternities and sororities who work to promote diversity on the campus. There is a lot of interaction of people from different socioeconomic backgrounds as well as cultural.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of dumb people here. A lot of them weren't able to get into MSU so they go here. Also, a lot of the students are people who goofed off in high school so they spent a year in community college and transferred here. Many of the students are focused on having a good time rather than building a future for themselves. Again, there are always exceptions and I'm involved in a political club on campus and the people in there are very motivated.

There is no specific sort of person that defines CMU. There's people of every color, every background, every interest, every social standing; everyone interacts with everyone, and judgment based on these facts is rare. Discrimination isn't unheard of, but that's at any school. As an African American student, I've always felt comfortable on this campus and I've never experienced any sort of hate based on my diversity.

Central has diversity, but maybe not as much as other schools. There are always events being put on about diversity and awearness. Pride week is coming up here where there are a lot of events geared towards awareness about the LGBT community. There was Asian Heritage month, Hispanic heritage month, etc where groups on campus can come out and support events going on and get a taste of different cultures.

The student body seems predominantly white, with some african-americans, and hardly any hispanics. I don't feel we are a very racially diverse school. I think when someone sees a black man on campus they think "oh he must be an athlete". I grew up in the Kalamazoo area all my life and my older brother went to Western Michigan, and they seem to have much more diversity on their campus than we do.

The experience I have with my classmates at Central is one to brag about. Everyone is always willing to help and give advice. Especially when certain classes create groups to work on projects, you instantly get to know these people throughout the semester and in my case, end up becoming great friends! I can?t think of a better experience than meeting new people all the time in class.

Most CMU students are from Michigan and seem to be of a middle-class background. Many pay for their own schooling with little help from their parents. Political activity is not as prevalent as at some universities, but still has a presence. My friends are predominantly right, but I that isn't to say that the left isn't well represented.