Central Michigan University

« See more reviews of Central Michigan University

I love Central's academics. Almost all of my classes are small and personable. The most unique class i have taken is the ASL 100 Deaf Culture. It really opened my eyes to the life of a deaf person and the struggles they go through. My major is Communication Disorders. One downfall that Central has is with this major they only offer one class time a semester for all of the classes. Therefore only 40 or so students can take that class this year. My freshman friend was able to take one class for her major her freshman year CDO 230 and she can't get into any of the other ones because upper classmen have already filled the one class. Therefore she has completed all her University Program classes and now she has nothing to take her sophomore year because all the classes are filled. Therefore, the CDO department must get another professor or offer more classes a semester because 1 class for the 3 beginning courses of the major is ridiculous. There should be at least 2-3 beginning classes and then it should taper off down to one later on in the major as less people stay with it. One other downfall i think we have is many professors need to be evaluated or helped on how they teach. For instance I only have two exams a semester. This does not help me learn the material at all! Constant evaluations and studying and reinforcement will help me retain the information. having a test as a midterm and a final makes me try and study 3 months worth of information in 1-2 weeks. How on earth am I to rememeber everything for the exam. In one of my classes where we had an exam over 3 chapters worth of material I spent 10.5 hours of studying and reviewing. Yet I still got a 74% on it because there was just too much material to cover and I could not remember it all at one time. This is one very easy thing to fix is hold workshops for professors so that they can improve their teaching methods to better help the students learn. Maybe a weekly quiz or bi weekly quiz that doesn't count for much but will help the students continue to visit the material is an option.

Almost all of my professors know my name. My favorite class at CMU was HSC 214. It was so interesting and Dr. Salt had a very good lecture. My least favorite class was moral problems because my teach was basically an idiot. I could have done a better job than he did. I dont know about other people but I study A LOT. But I have to I want to go to Med School. No CMU students dont usually have intellectual conversations outside of class. I am a competitive student. My favorite part about getting exams is knowing what I placed out of the class. The most unique class I've ever taken was my speech class. It was fun, we would play games. I am in the health fitness major. One thing I do not like is the availability of classes. It is too hard to sign up for the classes you need to take. I dont want to waste being here for 5 years when I should be graduating in 4 and going to med school in my 5th. Its pointless to be here for 5 years just because I couldn't get in a class. I dont usually spend time with professors outside of class but when I do need help I do see them. I think the UPs are dumb but I guess i understand the idea behind them. That is a good question. For me my education is geared toward learning. Med school would be towards getting a job as a doctor. I think most classes are geared towards getting a job.

I am impressed with most of the professors at Central Michigan University, the other day I walked by a professor I had three years ago, and the professor might not of remembered my name but recognized me and said hello. I was surprised that he remembered me because I sat in the back of the class the whole semester. The staff in the business department has been really helpful when I needed help a couple years ago plotting out my schedule for the rest of my time up here. My favorite class that I took at Central Michigan was economics with Richard Hill, he was a really good professor, I learned a lot from him because he was good at using examples to teach, he had interesting stories that helped me remember what I needed to learn.

Academically CMU has a lot of great programs. There is a huge variety of fields that students can choose from and a wide variety of professors to help along the way. There are a lot of opportunites for students to expand their learning outside the classroom as well, with clubs and other organizations, debates and panel discussions about various topics there is always something going on. In the Spanish department there are professors who are native speakers as well as Americans who have learned the language, the clubs hold conversation hours which bring in more native speakers, and the professors that oversee the groups are normally very active in helping students with anything they need.

Since CMU is a medium size University, classes are able to be kept to a small size. When I was taking my gen ed's, classes were in lectures of about 150 people at times, but now that I am in the college of business taking classes for my major, I don't have classes over 40 people and my professors make an effort to know our names, most succeeding in doing so. Class participation in my area is common because our curriculum includes a lot of projects, presentations, and discussions in class. I think CMU's requirements are a bit much, there are so many prerequisites that some programs are 5 or 6 years, and it is the rarity that people graduate in 4 years.

Once you get through the 100 level classes and U.P's, the number of students in your classes drastically declines and the classroom is smaller. Most professors will know your name and be helpful if you ask for it. Class participation is moderate with the same outspoken students usually dominatig any discussion. Central's academic requirements are a bit over the top with the number of university programs, which can ditract students who know what their major is right away, from getting into their major and minor courses.

Professors are professional and few classes are taught by Graduate Assistances. I would say that most students on Central Michigan's campus have intellectual conversations outside of class when approrpiate. Class participation is common in Education classes and university program classes, I do not know what the structure of classes in other majors looks like. Professors are avalible outside of class when needed and are very helpful for the most part. The campus is friendly and that goes for administration as well

CMU isn't really that challenging. I'm an art major and I am not challenged at all. I actually feel like I have gotten worse at art while here. I really like every professor I've ever had. They all are usually easy to get in contact with. They are also more than willing to give you any extra help. Some of my professors I will actually have conversations with after class about random stuff. They are very chill and relatable. However, I'm usually the only one in my class that is always asking the professor questions.

The only academic comparison I have to Central is my high school and the 6 credits I took at Kalamazoo Community College, but I find the curriculum here challenging, but not so challenging that you have no life outside the library or classroom. I'm majoring in Intergated Public Relations, and the majority of those classes have been in lecture halls and not in smaller class settings. I have enjoyed classes significantly more that were in small class settings, which correlates to better attendance and better grades.