Central Michigan University

« See more reviews of Central Michigan University

I came to CMU on an academic scholarship so perhaps my views on studying and classes are somewhat warped. I have always prided myself on having good grades but know quite a few here who do not seem to care. Maybe it is the fact that they are away from their parents for the first time, but a lot of people struggle to adjust after high school. I didn't have that problem and have enjoyed my classes as much if not more than my social life here at CMU.

While many of the University Program classes can be kind of large because many students want to take the same popular classes. However, once you begin your major your class sizes go way down. After a while you are taking classes with the same people and have the same professors. It is nice when some of the professors start to know your name and know more about you because then they can write letters of recommendation and things like that.

I would say no, most prfessors do not know my name. My favorite classes were always my fashion classes. My least favorite class has been english. I think certian majors are very competitive but for the most part I wouldn't say this is a very competitive school. I don't like the way CMU does it's academic requirements. They have so many UP's that end up overlapping I probably have two or three from each category.

Depending on the class, the professors know our names, my favorite class is french becasue my teacher is really fun and interesting, I dont like english becasue its boring to me. A lot of students participate. I am a health fitness major and the classes seem really interesting. Central's academic requirements are kinda high I think and Central is geared towards both succeeding to get a job and learning.

The class size is so small that it gives professors the opportunity to connect with you on a different level. Even in my classes that are held in lecutre halls, the teachers grade their own papers and even write comments on them. I dont typically spend time with professors outside of class unless I need to contact them at their office hours for further help, and in that case they are normally available.

I love the professors in my major's department. Communication majors are fortunate to have such amazing professors who are passionate, kind, and approachable. I just signed my major this semester and already feel like I am friends with a couple of them. As for academic requirements, I think that ours are reasonable but many are not geared towards careers and there should perhaps be more practical courses.

I think that the classes here are just right. The lectures are not too big or too small. I also like that some classes are 20-25 people in them. I like the professors I have and have had because they are very understanding and they email you back when you email them. Also, they are very easy to talk to. I think that Central has a very good advising program. They are always open to helping you out.

I think that for the most [art acedemics are good, it think that some areas are growing so they are in the process of changing and making things better. I know that my major there are a limited number of professors so you tend to have the same people over and over...in some ways its good and other ways its bad, i think we need to have a varity of people teaching us so everyone has an equal opportunity.

class sizes range from 15-200. average class size is 40. like any other college, some professors are great, others are terrible. i don't like how people think that any one can get into CMU. i work in the admissions office and last year our average freshman gpa was 3.3 and act was 22. it is particularly hard to get in but not easy. the teaching program is awesome...i havent had any complaints so far.

Academics here are pretty good. A few of my professors know my name. This is only in small classes. In my lectures, however, even though they don't know my name, my professors are really nice and willing to help if asked. The education I am getting here are CMU is geared towards getting a job after graduation. There are a lot of advisers that are always willing to help you plan your life.