Central Michigan University

« See more reviews of Central Michigan University

The worst thing about Central Michigan University in my opinion is the cost. I expected it to cost a lot especially being an out-of-state student but the tuition is still on the extremely high end. Also the school charges a lot for the required text books. I was required to get a book/cd combo for a chemistry class that cost $238. Ninety of that was for the cd which gives you a 24 month subscription to an online homework website but I only need it for 6 month. That was the worst overpricing I've seen.

There is not a whole lot to do in Mount Pleezy. Mostly, kids party because that is really al that there is to do. There is a good club, The Wayside, and then there is a hookah bar, called The Sixx. Thats about it. There is a very nice Student Activites Center, known to everyone just as the SAC were there is all kinds of rec games. If you are into fitness stuff there is a lot of classes to choose from; zumba, butts and gutts, pilates, and other fun workout classes.

Lack of cultural events and intelligent discussion. CMU is your tupical midwest school in a pretty rural area where school is not hard to get through and time is spent attending the rotation of 5 or 6 various bars in the town 4 nights a week. It is not culturally or personally enhancing and now that I live in New York City I can see that. I was a full time varsity athlete and barely studied and still graduated with honors. I wish i was more challenged.

The worst thing about CMU has to be the availability of parking. The unfortunate freshman who do not register their cars early enough have to park behind the football stadium, a good twenty minute hike from the opposite side of campus. But Central accomodates for this by offering those freshman who register their cars early enough during the summer the opportunity to park closer to their dorms. This is purely on a first come first serve basis.

I think that it would have to be a combination of the length of time my program is taking and the extreme finacial demands this length of time demands. The education program takes at least 5 years to complete without going in the summers, and during these summer "off" your working to pay for the next year. I would like to see some sort of a fast track program to cut down on time, and money for future students.

I think that the worst thing about Central Michigan University is the lack of a nursing program. I believe this to be true because from my personal experience with being around people who are considering attending Central Michigan University, this has been one of the deciding factors. I also believe that if there was a nursing program available here at CMU it would increase the admissions greatly.

I absolutely hate how so many people associate "Central" and "party school." I don't party or contribute anything at all to this stereotype, and it hurts me whenever I hear people talk about how my school is a party school. I love Central for what it is, for the city, the campus, the town; and I hate thinking people can't get past the fact that some students take advantage of the campus.

The worst thing is the price. These days it is hard to come up with money for college and students are having to take out more and more loans. This past year tuition went up slightly - not helping the financial situation. There are ways to pay for school through CMU and loans, but the prices for any college these days are so high that students stress out about money as well as academics.

The worst thing about my school is that some students don't take learning seriously, they would rather be here for other reasons than learning and growing as a person. Students always think it's necessary to cut loose, and their priorities get all out of line. It's fine to have fun, and go out during the week/weekend, but a lot of students don't understand how to find a balance.

Administration keeps secrets, a lot of things happen at our school that are kept low key. One faculty had sex with a quarter of the soccer team and they want to keep it a secret so he can get a job later?? CMU wants to put in a good medical school, but current faculty wanted to strike, they don't show it, but they are afriad it will flop because of the near strike fallout.