Central Michigan University

« See more reviews of Central Michigan University

CMU's campus is the perfect size; not too big or too small. The campus is very pretty, especially in the fall. The leadership program is a great asset to the university and is something that sets us apart from the competition. Greek Life is above the standards of many other schools and does a lot to give back to CMU and our community. I spend a lot of time in the library and studying at coffee shops. I do not like the expenses, but I do understand that that is something that will happen at any school. I disagree with the way money is spent to improve buildings on this campus that are not in horrible condition. Instead of renovating to make things more visually appealing, keep things the way they are, save millions of dollars and keep our tuition low, so more students can afford to attend.

Just the right size...not so big that you get lost in the crowd, but not so small that you practically know everyone. Most of the professors i've had so far are pretty good at their jobs and always willing to help. The only things that are hard for me to handle are: the size of the town, and the fact that it does not have a real mall or commercial, working airport (you have to drive to Flint, Lansing or Grand Rapids). There also isn't much to do in Mount Pleasant, in the way of fun. You basically do all there is to do in your first year, and then do the same thing over again next year. So basically, CMU is a great school in a not so great town.

Central Michigan is a very laid back college campus. I may be a little biased, but people are much friendlier at Central than any of the other major universities I've been to. Every place on campus is just a stones throw away. I'm from a very small town in Southwest Michigan, so I was the only person from my graduating class that attended Central. When I tell people I go to Central Michigan, they seem to think I'm doing all right for myself, being that I'm doing well in one of the top 3 biggest colleges in the state. I am really enjoying myself at Central, but I couldn't fathom being in Mt. Pleasant or the Mid-Michigan region after I graduate.

The best thing about central is the campus size and close relationship between the profs and students. I would change the lack of parking on campus, and boost our academic standing. I spend most of my time on campus in the school of business building or the bar. Mt Pleasant is a decent college town, there are a lot of townies though. The CMU administration is a joke, I never hear from them and all they care about is the shitty football team. The biggest controversy is a string of robberies. I am proud to go to CMU and most of the other students and alum seem proud as well. The one experience i will always remember is going a fraternity.

Our campus is very compact, which is nice because it does not take a long time to walk to classes. We have about 20,000 students, which I consider to be a nice median size. One thing I would change would be to have more lighting on campus, I feel it is very dark and unsafe when walking at night. Also, as a Greek, we do not have a large Greek community. The Greeks make up about 4% of the campus, and we are not strongly supported by the University. A recent controversy at our campus is the nooses that were hung in an academic building last semester, and Dennis Lennox fighting for the right to video tape.

The best thing about CMU is the atmosphere. This is great place to live and go to school. I think that the size of our school is just right, i dont have to walk 45 mins to go to class. One thing i would like to see changed is parking. I think its getting a little over crowded and its hard to find parking on campus without getting a ticket. I say i spend most of my time at my fraternity house. Yes, there is alot of school pride. Nothing unusual. A experience i will always remember is homecomings. It is a great time, alot of alum come up for it, and my family comes up as well.

If all you are worried about is having a good time, then CMU might be a good choice. Theres enough going on during the weekend to have fun. The classes are not too hard either, but this is probably because they are catered to a less intelligent group. CMU really doesn't discriminate who it takes in, and this becomes really apparent in small classes. A lot of my classmates are idiots. And the administration treats the students like children. tl;dr: if you wanna have fun, Central will give you a decent time. But don't expect to get the best education.

I believe Central is the perfect size at least for me anyways. Many people look down a little on Central if they go to U of M or MSU because those apparently are distinguished schools. Yet, at MSU they had 4000 drunkards in the streets and started riots at Cedarfest. Therefore, I believe Central is quite more classy than MSU. Our food on campus is great compared to other institutions. Yet, some people still complain, but that is because they have not gone to another place and tasted what other people are forced to eat all the time.

Central is a great school. It's the perfect size. You can't go anywhere without seeing someone you recognize. There is a mediocre amount of school pride. There has always been controversy about the mascot. No one can have fun with it because, being a Chippewa, it's a serious offence to dress up as an Indian or or do anything that has to do with it. There's always a lot to do, a ton of different events to attend like the Threads fashion show, or the concerts, comedians, movie nights, Greek week, speakers, etc.

The best thing about CMU is the overall environment that the campus has. You can walk down the street and say hi to a random stranger and they will say hi back to you. The classes are small enough that most professors learn all of their students names and are helpful whenever a student has questions or needs help beyond what the professor is required to do. Almost all of the classes are taught by professors not their assistants, and just the college town environment that is present in Mt. Pleasant is great.