Central Michigan University

« See more reviews of Central Michigan University

Central Michigan University is a great school to get a good education with [for the most part] great professors. Central offers smaller classes for students to get a more personal learning experience, but is a big school so students still have the opportunity to meet many, diverse people. Central emphasizes taking care of yourself and the person next to you and building leadership. Any person who wants to get a good education, make lifelong friends, have numerous extracurricular opportunities, have advisors who really care, and grow to be a better, stronger, mature version of themselves should consider Central Michigan University.

Someone looking for user friendly campus should attend Central. Everything is extremely accessible. I learned campus in one day. There are so many events free to students including all athletic events. The exercise facility here is one of the nicest I have seen and is free to students. There are many different living options and most have their own cafetirea. The campus is mid-sized and class size is great making it easy to keep in touch with new friends. A wide variety of classes are offered and students have complete control over scheduling. Central is easy to call home.

CMU is comprised 70-85% metro-detroit/middle class suburban children who either couldn't get into UoM or MSU, or chose not to go there because they wanted to feel intelligent. Another 15-25% are from smaller, poorer post-modern or kiche towns, and 5% are exchange students. Most girls go here to become teachers or accountants, but mostly just to become charming housewives. Most boys go here to get business degrees or engineering degrees so they can spend the rest of their lives in a cubicle. There are also a bunch of geeky, "trendy" artists too.

Anybody who's looking for that complete, all-around, college experience. CMU has so much to offer. There are clubs, sporting events, intramural sports, a beautiful library and and many other beautiful facilities and programs to get involved in. The Michigan weather is a little tough to deal with, but the CMU experience is worth it. Also, the on-campus living and dining is some of the best I've seen. It's not luxurious, but it's comfortable and satisfying. The people here are also very friendly and the professors are very helpful and caring.

Someone that needs to take specific classes to transfer to another school...or someone that is graduating from this school that has an adult or expierenced student with them when signing papers. They changed paperwork on me without telling me, making me change my degree so I didn't have to attend another two years versus a semester. Elementary Education degree seekers...beware... they change your minor and major requirments so often your head spins.

Anyone that wants to get a great education and make a ton of new friends should definitely consider attending Central Michigan University. I was apprehensive at first, not knowing anyone coming into the college experience, but once I was here and meeting new people and attending new classes, I was amazed at how much fun school could be. While some of the work is hard, it's nothing like high school was, and I love the experience of the school.

This question is fairly non-applicable to CMU. If you were to ask, "What kind of person SHOULDN'T attend this school," then maybe we'd be getting somewhere. From the football jocks to the marching band nerds, the four-point student to the slacker, the binge-drinker to the quiet novel-reader, this school is inclusive to all. It's warm and gentle - easy to get along with and vibes well. CMU is large enough to mater, yet small enough to care.

Those seeking a decently large student population and a wide variety of social opportunities would like Central Michigan Unversity. Students who are not quite sure as to what they would like their major to be would find Central Michigan University accomodating, as there are lots of options. Finally, students that are interested in a teaching career would like Central, as it is has a strong emphasis on education majors.

CMU provides a lot of opportunities to those students willing to seek them out. It is very easy to simply go through the motions here, skipping classes and focusing more on your social life than on your academic successes--however, for those students willing to rise above that temptation, there are some excellent professors on campus and plenty of opportunities to make yourself stand out above the rest.

Those who are looking for an open and accepting environment from religion and deaf culture to ethnic to LGBTQ, CMU's students and professors are very accepting and encouraging for them to be who they are and to help those who don't understand or haven't been exposed a way to ask questions in a safe and non judgemental environment.