Central Michigan University

« See more reviews of Central Michigan University

Relax. Students and parents alike usually become nervous--whether or not it is publicly displayed. Going to college is a huge decision, and though Central Michigan University was not my first choice, I cannot imagine how my life would be if I had not settled in my Mt. Pleasant 'home.' It is safe to say that students are going to be faced with plenty of challenges, not only academically, but in many other ways. For one, living in the residence halls is an experience unlike any other--usually cramming four people into a single room. Respect for others is learned quickly, taking responsibility for your own actions is inevitable, (can't blame everything on your sister) and three complete strangers with nothing in common can become each others' best support system. The risky behaviours associated with college, such as drinking and sex-related activites causes uneasiness with parents and or students. What needs to be remembered here is that college is a learning experience. Students will quickly learn their actions have consequences, espeically if their decisions are not the best. They will live and learn. You don't have to change yourself to fit in. It's a beautiful thing.

First off, I believe that speaking with the appropriate academic advisor is necessary and then completing a campus tour. This tour should contain but is not limited to, housing options (on and off campus), financial aid options if applicable, the parking situation, security availabilty, the estimated cost of attendance with books, and extra-curricular activity availablity. Secondly, once the appropriate college has been chosen based on the comfort of the above items then the student should be encouraged to join any and/or all clubs or organizations that may pertain to the student's major. This will allow for an extra way to meet others, interact with others, and make lifelong friends. Living on campus does have it's benefits but living off campus adds more responsiblity to the works. I would advise that after the first year the student should live off campus where they have to take on all the everyday household responsiblities (cleaning, laundry, bill payments, etc.) as well as carry a full load in school. I believe that it prepares students better for the "real world" than if they were to live on campus in a dormatory where everything is taken care for you. Good luck!

The most important piece of advice is to remember that education is your priority, and nothing?including social life?ought to take precedent over that. Late in one?s first semester, it is easy to tire out and feel the temptation of taking free time with friends. In many cases, your friends will have more free time than you, and this circumstance is frequently an invitation to abandon your duties and merely ?hang out? for an evening. Despite the immediate gratification of taking time off, nothing is ultimately more rewarding than academic success. The point of college is to acquire an education and a degree?moreover, the money you, your parents, and your scholarship donors spend on your education obligate you to apply yourself to your fullest extent. Never forget that you owe it to these individuals to take college seriously. Finally, it is crucial to maintain a positive attitude at all times. Embrace the work you do, love the career you are pursuing, and find joy in the fact that you are working toward a greater goal. When you finally realize that even the most mundane assignments will contribute to success later in life, you will be immensely satisfied.

Post secondary education is the stepping stone to growing up and building a successful life. Carefully choosing the right path for you is vital to your future. College/universities are a common option that many students strive for. Focus on size and location that comfortable for you! I highly recommend you research the programs/degrees offered at this college/university as well to ensure you can find something that interests you. My number one recommendation for incoming freshman is: live in the dorms your freshman year if you can. I learned so much about campus life/activities, met lots of NEW people, and had the time of my life. Finding classes that fit your personality is very beneficial. Don?t over/under schedule yourself. Find a balance in the number of credits you take that works for you. Scheduling too many can cause stress, frustration, and even depression. However, scheduling too few can cause you to get off the path too success. Finding, attending, and graduating from college needs to be all about finding the right fit for you as a person. Being confident in you education, choices and experiences is the key to your happiness and success!

Choosing the right college is one of the most stressful, yet exciting, times in both the students and parents lives! The most important thing to remember, however, is that the number one reason for attending college is to recieve higher EDUCATION! It's always a good idea to check out different websites and take a variety of personality tests to help when determining what the student may want to study. This way, they are able to decide on a college based on their academic programs for those specific majors. Secondly, take a look at the population of the school, financial aspects, extracurricular activities offered, and maybe even talk to alumni to hear their personal experiences and feelings about their college years. While deciding on a college can be stressful, it's also important to remember that your college years are often the best years of your life. Get involved with different clubs, organizations, and sororities or fraternities early on! Meet new people, and be open to other's lifestyles and cultures! Stay focused on your education, and take pride in every assignment or project you do. Be optimistic and take risks! But most importantly, HAVE FUN!

College has been the biggest transition for me thus far. As a freshman, I am still getting acclimated to this new lifestyle and independence. College represents a significant investment to me. Not only does it allow you to compete for your place in society but it aids you in finding yourself in the process. My education will lay down the foundation for my future endeavors. the opportunities I have been presented would have never been an option without college. I have a variety of things that I want to accomplish. Some of them include becoming the first African American woman U.S. press secretary, establishing my own PR/ Advertising firm, obtaining my law degree and masters simultaneously, becoming a CEO for a fortune 500 company, and even working as teacher at my high school to reach back. I know that achieving these goals cannot be accomplished without the proper education. College to most people is an option, but to me it is a priority. With college, I will be able to service others. College allows you to acquire knowledge, obtain insight and experience, meet diverse people from all walks of life, and to solidify your future.

If I went back to senior year to counsel myself about college, I would stress three pieces of advice. The first would be to sweat the little stuff now and develop good study habits because you are going to need them on your own time in college, the land of no no-nonsense, required doctors notes and required reading. The second would be to keep an open mind to campus size, location, and housing. Attending a small high school should not set a limit on campus or living space size. Visiting colleges once or more than that is the only way to formulate your own opinion about the college including campus size amongst other things like academic programs The last piece of advise I would give myself is to find means of making money while attending school. Whether this involves putting saved money from the summer in a savings account or finding an on campus job in the summer time depends completely on the individual but it is of absolute importance to keep saving. Once at college adaptation happens undoubtedly, however taking it upon yourself to find the right college will ease and decrease undesirable changes needed to be made.

Animals are the love of my life and always have been. Therefore, when I was in high school and was told to decide on a career, I picked veterinarian. During my senior year, I was in the Running Start program at Lower Columbia College (LCC). I took Intro to Biology with Carl Roush. He reopened my eyes to the world of biology. My mom and I researched what I could pursue in this field. That's when I found Wildlife Biology. Now, I am at LCC working towards a Biology degree. After I acheive a biology degree, I plan to transfer and continue studying biology. I love the atmosphere that has been created in all of my classes. The same people that I study with have become my friends and people I call when in need of company. We all have a similar goal. We just want it for different reasons. Teamwork is introduced and used everywhere on campus. Almost every class I have been in at LCC has had a team assignment. History, English, Spanish, Biology, and Chemistry have all been very instructive, well delivered classes with teamwork assigned. Overall, I really enjoy the LCC campus, teachers and experience.

When selecting a college, the most important thing to remember is you get out of it what you put into it. If a student wants to succeed at a university, but only has a mid-level gpa at a large high school, then a medium or smaller state school is a good route. A student will get the best experience out of a place that doesn't pressure him or her to make radical life-changes, but has the option to explore different pathways if desirable. Students should explore different things in their freshman year, and use that time to find explore the opportunities each school has to offer. In college, you decide your own level of involvement. Do some research on the personal statements of the schools in consideration. Private schools are good for traditional values, and state schools generally have a more liberal point of view. Those who are neutral would learn best at a mid-sized school with a student population of about 20,000. The college should be proportionate to the student's high school to avoid a shock when trying to adapt to college. Do your best, but avoid complacency and procrastination at all cost!

To find your right college you should visit as many as possible. Without visiting colleges you'll never know what really appeals to you. Whether it's a small-campus feel, a variety of majors, or the proximity to home there's a college for everyone and it's important to visit as many as possible. Parents shouldn't discourage their students to look at out-of-state colleges because of the availability of scholarships out there. A college education is expensive and timely, but completely worth it. Today's world is extremely competitive and college will prepare a student for this. Yet it's important to remember to get out of the library occasionally. Don't allow yourself to only study and forget about your social life; a healty balance is needed. Students should be encouraged to get out of their rooms and meet new people. There are some people who get lucky and get great roommates, but not everyone does. Your roommate is not always going to be your best friend, nor should it be a high school friend. No matter how strong your friendship was in high school, by the end of college it will be destroyed.