Central Michigan University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Central Michigan University

Ricardo

Central Michigan University is an overall good college for students looking to further their education. Most of the professors are helpful and accessible inside and outside of the classroom. Housing is alright, with a decent number of places to eat. There are many extracurricular activities that target students with different backgrounds and interests. There are plenty of resources for students to utilize and there are many advisors available for students to resolve personal and professional issues.

Jamonte

I think Central Michigan University is a very well rounded and opening school to all. I believe Central Michigan has a place for everybody on campus. Everything about the campus is amazing the academics, the food, the structure, and the people are amazing. I plan to attend Central Michigan University in the fall to continue my next four years of my education journey in mechanical engineering.

Amy

In my five years at Central Michigan University I definitely had the experience that I had planned to in college. I had a wonderful education, had some amazing professors (and other professors that were not so amazing), took some very interesting and informative courses, and made some life-long friends and memories! All in all, I think CMU is a great school to choose for college!

Peyton

In my overall opinion, I believe Central Michigan University to be one of the best schools in Michigan. The campus has all the resources a student could ever need in order to be successful. Central Michigan University's relatively small campus size keeps everything within walking distance; which is a great thing in the winter.

Elisa

I absolutely love CMU and I am thankful for the decision that I have made every day. I cannot wait to go back to school. I have met many amazing, intelligent people, and I want everyone to be able to experience the same love for this school that I have.

Hallie

It’s got that small town feel that is great for people who are transitioning away frok home. I am glad that I chose this school. I haven’t met one unfriendly person. All the professors are compassionate and understanding. The faculty/staff is dedicated to working with you towards your personal end goal. The school isn’t about making more money. The school is about helping their students succeed in any area they want. It’s excellent in my eyes.

Oluchi

The school is amazing. They encourage diversity and involvement in the community. It is a very friendly environment. There are resources made available to every student. The professors are friendly and willingly to help. The students are friendly, it like building a family.

Natasha

Central Michigan University is a fantastic university. One of the biggest things that pulls people into coming to this school is how friendly everyone is, whether you know them or you're just seeing them for the first time. Students and faculty are always willing to help if you reach out. The dorms are great compared to many other schools because there's always a place to get away, but there's also always plenty of room to hangout with your friends. The food could be a little better or have a better variety, but overall it is pretty good. Everything on campus is easy to find. One of my favorite spots on campus is the library because it is a nice place to relax and get some peace and quiet, or to get a study room with your friends. The academics are great because the professors are engaging and constantly available for extra help. Overall, Central is a great school and I do not regret my decision of attending college here.

Valerie

Central Michigan University is a great community based school. There is always something to do on campus. There are over 400 different RSO’s on campus that cover so many different hobbies and passions. Class sizes are usually low. There are not many lecture hall based classes. Professors make sure they have flexible office hours to meet with you. If the office hours do not work for you, the professor will try to make a time that works for you. There are many resources on campus through the Career Development Center that help with professional development so that you are ready to start your career once you are done with college. Some of the things the center provides includes professional dress clothes, resume building and mock interview to get you ready for an interview for your future career. The library has many different resources to help students when they need help in class such as the writing and math help centers. The college campus as a whole is not very big. It takes about 15-20 minutes to walk across campus. There are many different places on campus to eat such as the dining halls or places like Starbucks or Einstein Bagels. President Robert Davies is our president and he is one of the friendliest people you will ever meet. He takes time out of his busy schedule to talk to classes and go to different events on campus. Overall, Central Michigan University is a great school that is very community based and provides a lot of resources for student success.

Shelby

I love this school and the people that go there. It's one of the friendliness colleges. If anyone one was looking to meet new people, central is the place to be. There are so many organizations and free events going on all the time. The time goes by so much quicker when you're having fun!

Eric

When I visited CMU I had a great time and will hopefully be attending this fall. I hear great things from current students that were there previously and currently there now. CMU felt like a home away from home as soon as I stepped on the campus, which is what I needed to make my mind on the right college for me.

Bridgette

Its so amazing!!! I love the famous and the environment is so warm and inviting!! When I am on campus, I feel safe and secure because there are four police stations around the area. The town of mount pleasant is small and comforting and cozy. the whole area is amazing and fun and supportive.

It’s and amazing school. The environment is so intellectually stimulating and encouraging. College is bound to be so much better than high school. They also offer a lot of academic scholarships that help students maintain an almost debt free college life.

Matthew

I believe the CMU is the perfect school for everyone, the atmosphere, the students, the city, and the campus is everything that everyone needs.Their Graphic Design programs states that it'll helps students understand the Graphic Design industries and has a understanding before they complete their program

When I attended my first college visitation as a high school senior, they told me that when I found my right school, I would know it because I would get this feeling that it was where I belong. When I visited CMU I got that feeling, and ever since I knew that this was the school for me. I have been here for a couple months now, and I still have not found one thing that I dislike about my school. Every person I have met since i have been here, students and faculty, have been beyond kind. I am proud to tell people where I attend school, I love to talk about Central, and I highly recommend this college to anyone from near or far. Safe to say, it is the perfect school for me, and I have never been happier!

Emma

Central has a beautiful campus with small class sizes and there are so many resources to utilize that it's almost impossible not to use them to your advantage. There are so many opportunities to try new things that you never would've expected of yourself, so be prepared to take a leap or two and step out of your comfort zone!

Courtney

I love it, everyone is very welcoming. While walking to class, there is not one person that I would not feel comfortable having a conversation with. We are all in this together, all struggling. Everyone understands the struggle of college and there are plenty of opportunities to get help. There are endless amounts of ways to get involved on campus.

Sydney

I’m not going to sugar coat my experience here at Central Michigan University; it’s awful. You know that feeling when you have a knot in your stomach that you just can’t shake? That’s exactly how it feels when I am here. I have not clicked with anyone here since the majority of students are involved in fraternities and sororities. At CMU Greek life is huge and the parties are wild; they never stop. For some reason everyone likes to black out four days a week, and I can’t figure out why. I mean I guess not remembering your nights can be fun, but then again that makes it extremely difficult to keep track of who your new “sisters” and “brothers” are. That’s another thing I have noticed about Greek life, it’s just paying to have friends and meet people. If you don’t enjoy greek life or have similar views as I do, then CMU is not for you. I am not here to talk all negative about this university, it has numerous programs to offer for its students. All of my professors that I have encountered my freshman year here are extremely helpful and made learning enjoyable. If it was not for the amazing staff, I am not sure I would have survived the year here at CMU. Its dorm rooms are extremely spacious, larger than any other university that I have visited. I only have two other roommates in a space meant for four. Dorm rooms at other universities are the size of a shoe box, which makes it uncomfortable to live in. At CMU that is not the case, my living situation has been very nice and comforting at times when I felt like I did not belong at the school. As for the food, it started out great, but I got sick of it as most freshman do. Eating the same food over and over again can vanish your appetite. Since my experience has been so rough at CMU, I will be transferring to Grand Valley State University in the fall to continue my education.

Madeline

This is an amazing university. There is a great sense of community everywhere on campus. The students and faculty are friendly, and there are plenty of resources to get help when you need it. The university life is great; there are always social events being put on for students.

Christina

Central Michigan University is overall a great school. It has been my home away from home ever since I started going there. Although it is not perfect there are somethings that could be improved. I am going there for education as my major. Central Michigan is known for their education program even though it is not greatest. The advisors don't always care about the students like they should and some of the professors are not the greatest. Central Michigan is a great school that loves their football especially homecoming and Western. I made the right choice going to Central! Fire Up Chips!

Abbey

Central Michigan University was a lovely campus to visit and apply for. The faculty is very helpful in my career path and are very friendly. The rooms are surprisingly spacious and the cafeteria was my favorite part. The program that I am interested in has plenty of classes that will help me get my intended degree. Fire up Chips!

Marissa

I really do enjoy it, the only problem I have is I don't like the classes I'm taking currently. I have to take academic or pre-requisites which I am not a fan of. I think that after I'm done with those I will fully love it here. I like dorm life, I love my dorm, the Kulhavi Hall, and there are lots of opportunities. There is plenty to do here if you reach out and look for opportunities. I would recommend it, the people are nice and the teachers are reasonable.

Kaylah

I feel the Central Michigan University is a school that welcomes everyone. The staff is very friendly and helpful. I have not had a time where I needed anything and there was not a person to help me. If it was not a staff member then it was a fellow student. I would recommend Central Michigan to anyone because this school is very welcoming. I love my school and the people that I have met here.

Andrea

I am satisfied with my campus and experience at CMU. When deciding what school to go to, the campus was a big factor in my decision. For me, it is the perfect size and is one of my favorite aspects of the college. Although I haven't taken advantage of many of the event held on campus, I plan to in my remaining years at CMU. I am happy and thrilled to have ended up at such a welcoming and beautiful school.

emily

Overall it is a pretty good school. Class size is a huge positive as the classes are just the right size to form personal relationships with your professors and class mates. A big issue is the food, it's definitely some of the worst college cafeteria food, especially in the Robinson cafeteria.

Heather

In the past two years, Central Michigan University has become my home. Campus is made up of a spirited, energetic, and home-like environment. The community on and off campus is incredible and welcoming. The professors and employees are passionate about what they do and that spreads through their impact on the students and on the campus. Central Michigan University is more than a "party school" as its academics, athletics, and activities that are available to students encourage excellence and effort. One of the best parts about attending this university is the community aspect that can be found in the many opportunities to get involved with. The success of this university is displayed among the alumni and current students as they proudly represent their school and say, "Fire Up, Chips!"

Colleen

I love Central Michigan University! I think it is the perfect size school! Its not huge but its not small where everyone knows everyone. The campus is beautiful and placed all close together so walking to class is easy. The faculty here are all very helpful and there is always someone to call for questions about anything. I would not choose a different school over it!

My opinion of Central Michigan University is quite skewed based on personal experiences. I decided to transfer for my sophomore year because I felt incredibly unsafe and unprotected on campus, even by those who are there to protect. With that being said, I had some of the most amazing, caring, and understanding professors. I never felt lost or like I could not get help if needed. Above anything else, and probably the one thing I will always and cherish and be thankful for from my experience at CMU, was my job; more specifically my boss. My first semester I encountered a pretty traumatic experience, and that tainted the rest of my year. My boss however always found a way to make the days a little brighter, and the stress less stressful. I would not have been able to make it through the rest of first semester and second semester without her. I would highly recommend to anyone interested with a science major applying at the Vivarium lab. It was by far my best experience. The new bioscience building is amazing, and most places on campus are relaxing and a great place to study. As long as someone never experiences something traumatic and has to deal with the CMU police department, or an RHD that says mental health is a burden I believe it is a great school.

Laryssa

Central Michigan University is overall a very good university. For Freshman entering the college they are very helpful, if you ever have questions, don't know where something is, or need information about anything you'll always have access to someone educated on the situation nearby.

emily

Of all the colleges I went to visit, Central Michigan University was a no-brainer. The feeling you get when walking on campus is just fulfilling. People hold the door and genuinely care about how you are doing even if you do not know them. At other schools, it is easy to get lost in the crowd but at Central Michigan, you are the crowd.

Alyssa

Overall, I think Central Michigan University is a nice institution. There are those who party regularly, but there is a solid range of medical/health profession graduate programs. The AuD program is good with a beautiful clinic. The staff is caring and really want their students to succeed.

Overall, I really love Central Michigan University. First of all, I feel that out of all of the schools in Michigan, it gave the most amount of scholarships. I also love that that campus isn't too big that its confusing, but it also isn't too small that it is boring. There is so much to get involved in here, I would definitely recommend CMU to any prospective student.

Danielle

Central Michigan University is a great school! It is filled with great people, both students and professors. There is always something to on campus, between clubs, parties, or performances. I highly recommend​ CMU to every prospective college student.

gillian

Central Michigan University has become my safe place. I love the atmosphere and the people here. The classes are average sized and most of the professors are fair and well prepared. Central Michigan has a lot of school pride and everyone is proud to be a Chippewa. Overall, Central Michigan University is a very good school and I would recommend it to anyone.

Katie

The atmosphere at Central Michigan University is unique and like none other. With a campus filled with more than 25,000 students CMU still manages to bring a small community feel to a large university. The academic opportunities at Central Michigan University are unlimited. Classroom sizes are designed to fit the subject being learned and professors and resources for academic success are always available. Besides the fantastic educational opportunities, CMU also offers nearly 400 registered student organizations for students to join and get involved outside of the classroom. Overall, Central Michigan University appeals to everyone and is the best way to further your education.

Brianna

I love the university that I attend. All of the staff is friendly and willing to help you at all times. All of the professors that I've come in contact with have been friendly and approachable. I consider Central my home and I am so excited to continue my life there.

Central Michigan University is overall a well rounded school. With both a great social and academic environment. Relationships are easily established as well as maintained with both peers and professors. If you're looking for a welcoming, easy to navigate, and beautiful campus CMU is for you.

McClain

I love being a student at CMU. The teaches are readily available, the school has good class sizes, and the people are extremely friendly. Although there are only a few places to shop or eat, the campus is really safe, and is easy to navigate. One of my favorite things about Central is that wherever I go, I will always feel welcome.

Christy

I think it is a good choice but I wish I had looked around more it is really expensive and charges a lot for everything on campus.The professors are usually helpful, but again I wish I had looked more for a school that is suppose to have a good pre-vet program they don't seem like it is advertised and makes me worried for my future.

Becca

It's a good school to attend. It is pricey, but class sizes tend to be on the smaller size, so there is a more one on one feel. Professors have set office times, however they don't always match up with your own schedule, but they tend to work with you to get your issue resolved.

B

You have to do a lot at Central to make yourself standout as a competitor in the job/applicant field upon graduation. The school does not have a good reputation for academics, and for good reason. The classes are not challenging whatsoever. However, there are myriad opportunities to get involved on and off campus which can help to make the overall experience more holistic and challenging. You will get out what you put in.

Johnnie

I think CMU is a perfect school for those who thought they couldn't make it because other schools rejected them. CMU has given me many opportunities that have really helped me to grow over the years. Since being here I have been able to mold myself into more of a leader than I was before getting here. Thankfully now because of the support I get here I am now considering Grad School.

Allison

Central Michigan University is a extraordinary school if you're looking to attend somewhere with a small campus, and don't mind not having a very suburban area surrounding you. The class sizes are accessional because they are at most 30 students, and about 200 for general education classes. The dorms are nice because you have a great opportunity to choose where you would like to live, and the teachers are also very helpful.

My overall opinion of CMU is that it is pretty calm and relaxed most days. Also it has many career options to choose from. The dorms are beautiful and spacious too, which is very convenient for me and many others. I went there for a tour and the tour guide was very informational about anything and everything that was asked, which made me believe that this college is the right fit for me.

Briana

I love my school because there are so many activities for students! There is never a dull moment here! Event's are always going on or being advertised. Also student health is very important. There is access to be healthy in every aspect of the body. And we care about our academics very much! There will always be access available to help you with your studies.

Central is a great school. I love the campus and it has access to almost any facilities you would want. It is a bit of a small town but that can be good to help just focus of school. I definitely recommend looking into attending CMU because I believe it would be a great experience for almost anyone.

Gabriella

I enjoy the campus, but the overall city is not the ideal place. Enrollment is down and it seems to be impacting both tuition as well as accommodations. The dorms are not terrible for freshmen, however the buildings are overall outdated except for the few building that have been redone. Students are also now required to live in the dorms for their first two years, which I am unaware of many other schools doing.

Morgan

I love the campus! I was lucky to blindly end up with great roommates, and my fellow orchestra members have become like family! The course load for a music major is very heavy, but worth every minute! My professors seem to be genuinely concerned about their students' success and make themselves available if needed.

Gabriella

Tatiana

Overall I believe that Central Michigan University is a nice college. Even though the town and campus is a bit small, there are many different kinds of people that you can meet and there are fun things to do. The professors are pretty cool and not too harsh. There are also many academic resources that are very useful such as writing centers, math assistance, and many more.