Central Michigan University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Central Michigan University

Madisyn

It is a great university that is unfortunately located in Mount Pleasant Michigan, where there is limited things to do. However, the academics are good, and there are plenty of scholarship opportunities. Furthermore, the professors and staff at CMU are more than happy to help students in any way possible.

Kaitlyn

I absolutely love it! I can not believe that amount of people who are so kind and friendly. I have had such a great experience so far. Although I have to study a lot and my classes are hard, I still love all aspects of college life! I feel safe on campus and I have made it a priority to study hard, work hard and still enjoy some social time on the weekends. Next year I would like to join a sorority so that I can meet more people. I really like my professors and the classes that I have. I am really looking forward to the next 3-5 years at CMU.

Central Michigan University is a great place to learn about almost anything anyone could every dream about. We have so many opportunities to grow and learn and make new friends. I think that the food is very good but that the menu could be expanded as the choices for food were always the same and I got tired of eating the same foods. There are so many different extracurricular options that it is hard to choose which things to participate in.

Bethany

The whole school is amazing! I love the campus and everything about it! The teachers are awesome. There are always lots of activities, and everyone is friendly. You never feel unwelcome. It is an extremely safe campus, and there are security guards in almost every building.

Kara

I

Heidi

Very glad for the opportunity to complete my education here. Professors are clearly on my side and great connections with other students. I do recommend that students make the effort from their side to stay on top of Financial Aid requirements. It wasn't always clear what forms I needed. So, track dates yourself and avoid late fees (which I now do for myself!).

Tabitha

I highly enjoy CMU, it's a great campus ( a little big in my opinion) I went to orientation a while back and I had a blast, it was a lot of fun! Everyone was super nice and easy to get along with. I got to learn more about the major i'm interested in and its a great program, its a great school with a good atmosphere, and a great education! FIRE UP CHIPS!! the down side of it is that it is a medium to large school, and it is expensive! it cost so much that I can't even live on campus, I have to live with a grandparent, like not even student loans will pay for all of it if I chose to live on campus, so great school just too pricey

I like the size, only 10 mins from one end to another and I feel safe. I am looking forward to starting my freshman year with some friends and making some new ones. I love that I can have my car on campus, though it is a walk to get there, so that I can get home or into town without inconveniencing others. Fire up Chips!!

Mya

There are many good and bad qualities within Central Michigan Univesity. However, it seems that the bad typically outweighs the good. In the case of the academic programs, it is alright for some but horrific for others as the teachers take a long time to respond.

jaqaysha

Central Michigan University is an great diverse school to join! I've gotten the opportunity to come and visit. The environment was an great atmosphere.

Faith

I love CMU and everything about it. The campus is gorgeous and perfectly located to walk almost everywhere in Mount Pleasant. The food is almost always amazing, sometimes it can be iffy. Most of the academic buildings are in close proximity to each other and the dorms.

Jena

I love it here! Everyone is fired up and there is lots of support from faculty members. In addition to that, there are many opportunities to get involved in a variety of interests. For example, there are many different events that are made to help students find the Registered Student Organization (RSO) that perfectly fits them! I would definitely recommend Central Michigan University.

Central Michigan University is an amazing school for students to get involved in an endless amount of activities. My favorite aspect of the school is the overwhelming amount of kindness expressed by the students. I never feel left out or not included here at this school. I’m so glad Central Michigan University was the school I chose to study at.

Autumn

Central Michigan is a very welcoming and safe campus. The campus has tons of opportunities to get involved, and a great system for academics. There is a place for everyone, no matter race, sexual orientation, gender, religion, etc. It is an overall amazing campus to live on with a lot of extra activities and stores to shop at.

Bria

CMU is a great school. It has a great campus culture but not much is around it. Prepare to live in a city that ONLY has the college and a couple of stores and restaurants. The nearest mall is an hour away. People are nice, food is decent and the school is a great medium between a college that is too big and a college that is too small. It is a perfect size. I can walk from one side of campus to the other side in 15 minutes. That is great for when you are running late for class! A lot of dorms are old but the new dorms are renovated and have their own rooms. It costs a little more each semester but can be worth it to have your own space and piece of mind.

Emma

It is a lot different from all the stories you hear about the good old days and people don’t seem quite as enthusiastic about their college experience than I expected. Professors are very great and helpful and the classes are very educational. Overall a decent school but not quite what I had expected.

Andrew

I visited Central Michigan University and loved everything about it. The students, professors, athletes, and other employees were all so friendly. CMU is the place to be. My older sister attends college at Central Michigan and she loves it. She has so many friends and is so excited to be enrolled in such a student-centered school.

Many alumni affectionately refer to Central Michigan University as the 'Harvard' of the midwest. While it hasn't been historically known first for its academic record - the university does encourage students to do their best, both in the classroom and around campus. I like to think of CMU as place with the resources and opportunities often found at large universities, but nestled in place with a small-campus feel. From my first day of campus, I never once felt like a number; the on-campus environment feels like a nurturing, fired up community.

Joshua

Overall, my opinion of CMU is that most of the students are extremely involved in campus life. In addition to this, the faculty and staff always make the greatest attempt to be inclusive and support diversity. My main complaint is the quality of the dorm rooms relative to the cost. For the same amount I am currently paying for a two bedroom, one bathroom dorm room with two other roommates and no applainces, I could afford a three bedroom one bathroom apartment with appliances and only one other roommate (including food and utilities).

Kamri

Central Michigan University is home of the chippewas! Even though the school is big, everyone is close knit and so friendly. Even when I go out of state alumni from all over say hello to me and give me advice. It's a diverse school which is nice and is overall inclusive. Sometimes the class size can be too large or very small which gives variety in different learning capacities. There are nice facilities and always activities to do on campus. Central is the place to be with education being valued.

karina

I have loved Central Michigan University from the minute I toured the campus for the first time, to the day I moved out four years later. The professors and peers I have encountered, the classroom layout, the energy, and simply the culture of the university has brought me the greatest joy. My professors, mostly the ones teaching my core major classes, were extremely helpful throughout the entire process as well as helping me apply to graduate school. I met some of my best friends along the way to my degree. The classroom sizes were great. In the beginning of my college experience, the classroom sizes were larger and as I began taking classes for my majors, they decreased dramatically which made for better classroom discussion and better relationships with my professors and peers. The energy and culture was unmatched. I have been to other universities for varying reasons but CMU was always home to me. I would not have wanted to complete my undergraduate degree anywhere else.

Briana

If you're looking for a place where it is not too big or small, Central Michigan is the perfect place! It'd big enough to have your own space and explore and small enough to walk to classes if you run out of gas. But no need to walk, there is free shuttle to all students. You can truly tell that professors are here to support you in every aspect. They encourage us through the way and won't let us slack or give anything other than the best. They are reasonable all you have to do is communicate with them. Assistance is always at your fingertips. Whether its from academic advise, scholarships, or finding a place to live, Central Michigan had many programs and options for you to become successful. If you are afraid that trying our university will leave you broke, don't worry there are many financial aid options for you to continue to thrive and finish school without a huge amount of debt behind you. And if you aren't getting enough food in your system, Central Michigan has food programs and there are also other centers that can help you get free food, hygiene products, and whatever else you may need. If you communicate with people and strive for the best, Central Michigan will be a breeze for you.

Katelyn

It is a cute, local, and friendly community. Central has so many different opportunities for all the different identities on campus it’s self. I personality think central is the perfect fit for me for a university choice. It was an overall great experience as soon as I got in touch with the university. There was so many different opportunities and options for the major I wanted to proceed. I definitely think of central as a second home to me.

Allison

I love Central Michigan University. It is where I feel like I belong. I cannot see myself going to any other college or university. Ever since I stepped onto that campus on my very first visit I knew that Central Michigan University is where I am supposed to spend the next four years of my academic life.

D'Shyla

Central is overall a great school as it pertains to academics. However, I think CMU lacks community, togetherness, and school spirit. The location of CMU isn't great either there's no mall and not much to do, you have to drive at least 45 minutes to a different city to find anything fun to do. Overall, I feel like sometimes I do not belong at CMU but I do think I have had a good college experience and I can't wait to graduate in May 2020!

Mya

Overall, I feel like there can be a place for everyone to prosper here fully. However, there are some things present within how the school runs that can be drastically improved on. For instance, the teachers are impossible to reach at times and they aren't punctual in their responses. Campus security is good up until a supervisor listens in on your conversations and tries to search the room because they heard you say something involving alcohol to a friend on the phone.

Tierra

It is a great school and you get to experience great things and meet great people, I believe there is not another school like CMU. I am very happy with my decision on attending Central Michigan University and I can’t wait to put a stamp on the world!!

Riley

Central Michigan University makes you proud to be an alumnus. Though the school is located in a small town, it is the 3rd largest school in the state, with a large and active alumni group. The education you receive from CMU is top-notch. This was especially true with my academic major. Though other schools in the state offered a Health Administration major, many of the largest health system in the state would prefer a CMU graduate than any others because they knew we were equipped with the skills needed to excel in the field.

Keegan

Before attending CMICH, I completed two degrees at two other universities, so I'm very aware of what makes a great campus, and this is definitely a great campus. The professors are world class, the culture is positive, and the facilities are wonderful! The campus is large enough that there's always something to do, but small enough that you don't feel totally lost in the crowd. Especially in the music department, the culture is incredibly supportive and wholesome. I'm so glad I chose to attend CMICH!

Lauryn

The school itself isn't why I like attending this university. The buildings aren't anything special, the food isn't fantastic, but the class sizes are all really reasonable, the professors are flexible, and the other students are great. I've made so many friends, there are honestly some fantastic people here.

Central Michigan University is a great place to earn your degree. The advisors our extremely helpful in planning your semesters and the proffesors have a lot of knowledge on the subjects they teach. I would highly recommend this university to anyone in the area.

Laryssa

Overall, the school is pretty well rounded. For the most part the professors are accessible around class times and are willing to help.

Kailee

I believe that Central Michigan University gives the appearance of being successful. In my personal opinion however, I have only had poor experiences when contacting their faculty. The university as a whole seems to be extremely money hungry. College course prices increase every year and I don't believe that the college allocates their resources adequately. A college semester of 12 credits should not cost $7,000 when almost all other countries offer free - or inexpensive - higher education.

Chad

Overall, Central Michigan University was a fantastic choice of university to attend. All faculty members that I have encountered have been super nice, knowledgable, and understanding. I have made a good group of friends by getting involved and the food is really good. I would recommend joining an organization if you can. Try joining marching band if you are in band, it is super fun!

Jordan

Central Michigan is the best school ever. From the dorm appliances to the food court. We have so much fun when the big games come around, everyone shows there support and it beautiful. It is also very diverse which I love. Being around all the students is like a dream come true. when I first had my visit I knew immediately this was going to be my new home and it very well did. i am so happy I decided to go to Central Michigan State, its a choice I'd never regret.