Central Oregon Community College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Central Oregon Community College

Sloan

Central Oregon Community College is a great place for students to start their college journey at. There are a wide variety of academic programs and student organizations. The one thing that stands out is the campus location. Situated in the West Hills overlooking the town of Bend, Oregon, and not far from the Cascade Lakes Highway, students are presented with the opportunity to enjoy local shops, or make a trip to the many lakes and Mt. Bachelor.

Marissa

COCC is a great school. They have opportunities for any different type of student (race, gender, ethnicity, hobbies, etc.) They are very inclusive and they are a good transition school into a 4-year University. I started COCC when I was 14 through a program, and the professors helped me make sure I knew what I was doing the whole way through.

COCC has been an amazing university! They have helped me so much through my Associate’s Degree. I don’t know where I would be without my community college. I have found fantastic support through so many of my professors. They truly care about the students and their wellbeing.

Theresa

I have completely enjoyed studying and learning here with the variety of students, along with all of my instructors that have been very helpful and accommodating with any and all questions I may have. Interaction in class with fellow students and out of class has been one aspect I did not expect to be so easy and enjoyable, as I am the oldest student in most of my classes and in some cases older then my instructors. At first I thought that my age would be an issue, but everyone here has made the transmission an easy one.

katie

I loved my time spent here. There were many interesting courses available, informative and attentive educators, and a beautiful campus. The culture is laid back and focused, with many nontraditional students returning to school. Does not have the stereotypical college lifestyle, but is definitely pleasant for slow-moving and laid back students focused on their educational goals.

Lori

As a 42-year old single mother of two young adults (ages 21 and 18) who still live with me, I really have no experience with on-campus living, but overall I love the atmosphere. Staff and students alike are not judgemental or rude. The staff is always so helpful and empowering. I honestly feel as if I will not only meet my goals, but that I can make the dean's list.

Elias

Very great Professors and Courses, although could use some improvement in regards to some services offered. I've found in my experience at COCC that most of the people there are all motivated to learn, and the atmosphere reflects this. My academic journey throughout my time at COCC has been great, and I am so thankful for my time here.

Aspen

It seems to be a very diverse campus and it also seems very acceptable and the housing is very nice and it's not to far from the school and they do have a few shops in the school and it seems to be a good school and that people should apply for this small school and then transfer.

John

I honestly love COCC, as it is commonly referred to. All of my teachers have been fantastic; some of them I actually consider to be mentors. The only downside of COCC is the fact that it is on a massive hill, which can be a little treacherous in snow. Otherwise it is a fantastic college!

Callie

Central Oregon Community College is a great school to be a part of. The class sizes are small enough that you receive the one on one attention you need while creating valuable relationships with your fellow classmates. Tutoring is provided during most hours of the day and in many departments of the school. The campus also offers many extracurricular clubs and organizations to be a part of to further your education outside of class.

Teal

I think It's a good school to get your foot in the door, to really figure out what your education and career goals are. My advisor helps a lot and all advisers try to help all students get to where they want to be. I like the psych program because all the instructors are all invested into psychology and getting psych students where they want to be. The campus is nice and there is a lot to do outside of campus

Nancy

I think its a great school and the education is very good.

Katie

I have attended Central Oregon Community College for one year now. As a freshman in college school can seem overwhelming and nerve-racking, but this school made sure every student felt comfortable and confident going into their first year. There are many extracurricular activities to participate in to help you get to know other students and enjoy the campus life.

Robert

The term “Community College” is loaded with a preconceived notion that it is a subpar education in comparison to the prestige of a state university. However, I can honestly say that I have experienced scholarly aspects at Central Oregon Community College that would give any major university a run for their money. The singular aspect that has made my higher education an elevated experience is due to the camaraderie that exists between staff and students. In comparison to the expansive lecture halls of a University, the impact of instructors looking right me right in the eye as they relay their knowledge to me has been vital. Teachers see it in our eyes when we do not understand, and they work to make sure we grasp each concept personally. College is like a log bridge leading over a torrential stream to our future career. This crossing for many students can be a rocky experience. Nonetheless, while this time can be difficult our COCC advisors make our trek across this bridge as smooth and supported as possible. We as students don’t face the difficulty of being one on a list of hundreds on the part of University advisors. It is a blessing that we are only part of a few students being advised by an individual. Our education, and future life, are taken seriously on the part of COCC advisors who genuinely care about our future lives. This is the perfect school for students who are seeking a high quality college education with an intimate experience with their instructors and advisors.

Forest

During my time at Central Oregon Community College I realized that for being a community college, the teachers and students were outstanding. If I ever had any questions or concerns with my homework or personal life, I could go up to the teacher and talk to them after class or over an email. The majority of the teachers were always willing to help in any way that they could. I especially appreciated their open communication due to the fact that several of the teachers I had during my time their had their PhD or numerous years of education in a variety of fields. Flexible office hours and smaller class sizes allowed for a more personal and stress free environment. The students were often times highly motivated and excited about their studies. The age range varied a lot, from people doing early college programs to those who are coming back to school after twenty years. No matter where you went there was someone willing to give a helping hand and that is what I liked most about this school. Being surround by a group of motivated people helped me become the student I am today. I'm willing to take on greater challenges and have the knowledge to help others with similar struggles. I would highly recommend this school to anyone looking for a smaller, more personal college experience that has an incredibly knowledgeable staff.

Anna

Overall, Central Oregon Community College is a well-rounded diverse campus. There is always different activities going on so there is always something for someone to do. There is all types of sports and a ton of clubs. Since I live in the dorms i am definitely more involved in the activities going on around the campus. The dorm director always has fun stuff for us to do. The professors are also great. I have not had a bad experience with one so far. They are all really helpful, understanding and truly care about us and our grades.

Celina

It is an involved school with many things to do in and around campus. There are many events going on and many diverse clubs that make the school more connected to students as well as the community. What I like the most is that many of the events are mainly student based, planed and organized by the many student leaders at the school with plenty of help from the community.

Madison

I like COCC. The school is fairly big but relevant to other colleges, COCC is pretty small. The classrooms are small which make it easier to get on one time with instructors. They offer free tutoring in all subjects which is a huge plus! They are even open during weekend hours which makes it so everyone who needs help has a chance to get help if they need it. They have a cute coffee shack that is relaxing especially during finals week to hang out and study. The library offers tons of online books and research studies that would not otherwise be available without paying lots of money to read them. All in all COCC provides lots of resources for their students to be successful.

Chaela

Central Oregon Community College is one of those colleges that actually care about their student's proficiency. They put a lot of effort into making sure that the students know the ins and outs of the college, they make sure teachers have at least 4 hours of office hours a week and they try their absolute best in making sure that their technology is easy to understand and use. Despite all the wonderful things about it, it is incredibly difficult to get in with an advisor especially if you aren't a top priority student-(disabilities, first-year, last-year.). I am 16 years old and part of Oregon's extended options program at COCC, and I love the teachers, I love the way that they addressed any issues but I don't love how I am a bottom of the barrel student. I have shown my initiative to my education quite clearly yet I'm still not allowed to put my major on any papers because "I'm in high school, and it might change", I have no access to a personal academic advisor despite how important that is to excel in any college. The school is almost saying that my ambition is a bad thing and I think that it should be the opposite. I think that COCC should give more attention to students coming in during high school because we showed the motivation to be there, especially since they make such a big deal that they love their students and they are there if there are any concerns. Mostly, they claim that this will be easy for every student has access to a number of resources when a lot of those resources aren't available for students in high school. Overall it is a wonderful school, there are just a few things that I would change to make it a more available community college.

Jake

for a community collage this place is amazing! the professors and teachers here are all passionate about what they do or currently work in the profession they teach to give a look at how things are in the industry you currently wish to pursue! all around a good school to get certifications done to go strait into the work force or to save some money before transferring to a bigger university.

Karthik

I think that this school has a lot of really great opportunities that you can find and they do their best as a college to provide resources to make everything equitable for students. However, this is a school I would only stay for a couple year because the satisfaction of me being in this school any longer will quickly diminish.

It's a decent school in a beautiful place, but hard to get to know anyone especially since it's not a University where there's a ton of activities or sports. The teachers are usually pretty helpful, but some are slacking and seem like they don't enjoy their jobs.

obdulia

If I could live in the school I would and this is my last year attending because, I have to transfer to a university but, I ADORE this school and the teachers, the staff is AWESOME!. Ever since I started attending the staff has always been very helpful with questions especially in financial aid because, not everyone understand how all that works.