Central Washington University

« See more reviews of Central Washington University

At my university, I feel that the uniqueness is found the familiarity and friendships between the students. There are so many different types of students, who come from everywhere (exchange students from Saudi Arabia, and China!), with different life stories. Central is not as large as some other universities, but still takes a lot to become accustomed to. This school allows you to build your strongest relationships. Our school comes together when the stories of all these students overlap with each other. Nothing is more comforting than, "Oh, you should come visit the club, they'll like you!"

Central Washington University has a great atmosphere and sense of community that really appealed to me; everyone is extremely friendly and very willing to help. There are a multitude of ways to get involved on campus and everything is really easy to access. In addition, Central does an exceptional job of making freshmen feel at home, which was exceedingly important. The Douglas Honors College was also a HUGE draw for me, as it is interdisciplinary, and I always seek to challenge myself as much as possible. Central is exactly the type of school I wanted to be a part of.

Some unique things about CWU are that it used to be a teacher's education college just for women when established but then became more popular and is still one of the fastest growing universities in Washington. It also has a Chimpanzee and Human Communication Institute where they have chimps that have learned sign language and is the second of one other school in the world to have it. There is a large study abroad program making many possiblities of international travel and also bring AUAP and other international students to this campus.

Central Washington University it unique from the other schools I considered because of the amount of eco-friendly choices this institution makes. Some of our newer buildings have been awarded for their environmentally friendly materials and energy saving utilities. You can find assorted recycles bins all over campus to ensure that students have a chance to recycle instead of waste. I found this trait of Central to be the most appealing because I believe that an environmentally sustainable future is the only acceptable future.

There are many things unique about my school. One would be that our residence halls are very well organized. The residence halls provide conventient and easy ways to get involed in our school. The leaders in my residence halls are extremely respected yet can still be a friend. I believe this is an extremely hard task to master. As a freshman, we are confined to "freshman dorms," which really brings our class together. These freshman dorms have sporting events and meetings to ensure togetherness within the freshman.

One thing that is unique about Cental Washington University is the location. Ellensburg is a well know small town that isnt really to small. When i fist came to this school I thought I was going to be inthe middle of no where but then found there is so much to do here. A few of my favorites are snowboarding, hiking, and the activities the school puts together. There is so much to do but still time to get your school work finished. It is also only about 2 hours from Seattle Washington which is a nice day trip.

My school is unique to me because it is so close to home. My family is in the process of a family crisis, so being close to home AND going to a four-year college and getting that college experience is really important to me. Also, Central Washington Univ. is small enough to where my peers and I have great school pride and spirit. Other schools around here are big schools, like Washington State University and University of Washington, who have great school spirit, but not in the way my small town college has.

This school is unique becuase you can learn and grow in different ways. My favorite thing about this school is that it gives second chances. I didn't have a very high GPA in high school but this school accepted me as well as many others. Also after attending 3 years at Central, I had a circumstance where I took 2 years off. Even though my grades had slipped my 3rd year at the college, they accepted me back and gave me another chance. My final year at Central I was fully focused and able to bring my gpa up.

In comparison to other schools, CWU stood out for a few reasons. First, it was located just a few hours from my house. Also, the tuition and room and board prices were better than other schools I had looked into. The big thing though was the fact that the school offers a degree in Primate Behavior and Ecology, which I plan on getting in addition to a degree in Biology. CWU has a group of Chimpanzees on campus that have been taught American Sign Language, and I don't know of any other school that has that!

The answer to this question came to me while attending. The faculty understood the relationship between students, teachers, and employers. The professors are working for the employers, preparing us, the students, to be job ready as we begin our careers after college. In addition, the professors had real-life industry experience. The professors have the curriculum, and were able to adapt it to the needs of the students; the exulting part of their teaching style prepared each student for the real world.