Central Washington University

« See more reviews of Central Washington University

My school is located in a small town; therefore excessive partying takes place. I feel a student should have a broader array of options for fun. A small town such as Ellensburg also does not allow students to develop the kind of cultured and worldly perspective as they would in a city. Personally, I enjoy discovering new places, meeting many different people, and participating in music and art. All of these past times are extremely limited in a place like Ellensburg, so if you attend Central Washington University, be prepared to get imaginative and create your own kinds of fun.

Less opportunity. There are not as many student clubs and organizations at my school as there would be in those that are larger. However, to look at this is a postive sense, this presents us students with the opportunity to take a stand and start something ourselves. Currently, a group of students has been fighting to start a greek system here at central. I believe we will all appreciate the opportunities more when we are the ones having to create them. Still, there is less presented to us and not as many resources available to utilize.

The one thing at Central Washington University that I consider to be the worst attribute to the school is the lack of attention for the diversity. I feel that there are multiple students who are good at various things, and we have no real way of acknowledging them! There is a lack of communication between the school and the students. If a society fails to recognize its diversity, sometimes the brilliance of many is overlooked and poorly encouraged. The same concept works on the balance of a university, if not on a higher scale.

Everything on campus is great. The transportation system is the worst thing there. The campus isn't that big and getting around isn't a huge problem. But the bus system for getting aroung Ellensburg is a pain in the neck. Eburg isn't that big and walking isn't a huge deal. But sometimes, the 15-block walk to Fred Meyer is not very appealing-- especially in the snow. Everything on campus is great though. They just need to refine the Central Transit System so that it actually has a consistant schedule that makes sense.

The worst thing about Central is that classes are not offered every quarter, they are only offered specific quarters. So if you are unable to get into the class you need you are pretty much behind a quarter now. It makes it really hard to plan your class schedules out for future quarters to make sure you are getting all the classes you need. As a result of this students wont graduate in four years, they will have to stay an extra quarter or two just to get those one or two classes that were not offered when needed.

There are many things that annoy me about my school, but only a few that are relativly unique to CWU. The biggest problem that I can think of is that every spring the students can participate in a 30 hour fast, and in doing so it is suppose to educate the students about hunger. This annoys me because afterwards the students wear t-shirts which say "I Experienced Hunger". The incredible arrogance that is required to think that they even have a remote idea about what true hunger is, is incredibly mind-boggling.

The worst thing about CWU is the raising tuition cost. Each year everything gets more expense and we get charged for everything like graduating and completing an internship. I feel like all the money goes to building new buildings and making the campus look nice instead of focusing on improving education which is what should matter most. CWU is a school that focuses on appearance and how the school looks on the "outside" instead of focusing on the quality of education or the "inside."

The worst thing about my school is how people judge everyone so quickly. I have met a lot of different and nice people over the last year at Central and realized that a lot of people judge others so easily just how someone dresses or looks. I learned a long time ago that when judging someone by how they look your observations are completely wrong. I know that judging someone is 'normal' but when you get to college you would think that it would decrease not increase.

The worst thing about my school is the segregation between students. For example if you are an African Americal male, you must play football. Or if you are or are involved in LGBT you are an exteme liberal or a "freak." I think that the student body should move more as a unit rather than individuals. Observing the hatred within my school is sad. There are not many bad things but if I had to choose one: the separation between fellow students would be it.

I would say the worst thing about Central Washington University is gap in size and funds between the different departments. Departments such as Business, Music, and Science have newer facilities, more classes, etc. while departments such as Political Science and Languages seem to be more understaffed, offer fewer upper division classes, and are in older facilities. I think that there needs to be a more even spread of funds and professors throughout CWU.