Central Washington University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Central Washington University

Jocelyn

I love CWU, it is like a big family most of us don't have a hard time making friends because it is a very welcoming atmosphere. Same goes for our professors they are easy going and typically help out has much as they can. There are a few ups and downs but what school doesn't have them?

Daisy

Central Washington University is a great school. I love how diverse it is. It really helps you gain different perspectives and learn about the beauty in the world. Central's staff are all super friendly and helpful. There are lots of shops around so you will never get bored. The clubs are awesome and care about you. Although it is online, Central does a good job of doing events to help students interact and make new friends. We are a hybrid school!

allison

I never visited Central before commiting, but I am so happy that I chose to come here. It is truly a college town and amazing scenery since it is in a valley. To get from the Northern side of campus to the the most Southern building is about a ten minute walk, which makes it nice when walking or biking to classes. I love how available the teachers are, I have made so many great connections with professors who have really helped strengthen my education here.

John

I chose to pursue my Bachelor's degree in English at Central Washington University because it a small and quiet town where I'm better able to focus, plenty of recreation and healthy options for living, and our university has a good moral code. We may not be the biggest or richest university in the state, but we make up for it with the spirit of community.

John

Central Washington University is overall a great school. Most of the buildings are brick which gives the campus character. That being said Central is constantly building new learning environments for its students. The new science building was just finished and has key features such as a planetarium and a silent room. Now, a new math and computer science building is in progress as well as another dorm. Central works well with its students, taking what they say and molding it into new buildings, new style of teachings or new groups for students to join. Central Washington University listens and takes care to its students.

Janeesa

Central Washington University is a great school the teachers always make sure that the students understand the work that is going on in the classroom and they make themselves available to the students. I have not experienced any rude or violent behavior towards any of the other students. I like the people on the campus and staff my only complaint would be the 10 o'clock quiet hours and sometimes there isn't much to do.

I love CWU! It was my first and only choice of universities, I'm proud to be a wildcat! Every professor I've had so far has been awesome. The class sizes aren't huge and it's easy to get to know the professors if you make an effort. The campus is extremely safe as well as diverse.

Ricardo

It's a great university because the on campus and off campuses are few minutes away from the University. The classes are easy to access and furthermore everyone is very friendly towards each other. There is tons of activities too do in this university. You can drive to the university or walk towards the university. Education is really important in this university everyone comes here to get their degree and having a great time.

Bethany

Central Washington University, in my opinion, is the best school to attend. Central Washington University is located in the small town of Ellensburg, Washington. It is the perfect location for a college campus, there is absolutely everything in this town that you could imagine and fulfills your daily needs. My overall opinion of Central Washington University is wonderful, I absolutely love going to school here and I love every aspect of the school. The class sizes are perfect, yes you will have one or two big lecture classes that have two hundred or more people, but other than that the class average size is thirty to forty. With small class sizes it is much easier to learn and much easier to get to know your professors on a name to name basis. The academics at Central Washington University excel tremendously, the professors really do care about you and your grades, and every subject you learn you become so educated on no matter if the class has anything to do with your major. The food could be a little better, it’s not too bad just gets very tiring of eating the same food over and over again. The dorm life is amazing and very nice, one thing Central Washington University does is require all freshman to live on campus their first year at the university, this is nice because as a freshman you don’t know anyone, or anything to do around the school so meeting new people to experience new things with is very nice. I love Central Washington University and I am proud to be a wildcat.

Jayden

I love the class sizes. Classes range from 30-40 people and you can usually get a lot of help from the teachers. There are also great opportunities to go and see concerts or other cultural events around campus. There are plenty of clubs to join and friendly faculty and students. I love Central Washington University.

I really love CWU. I was a music education major for three years, and endless phenomenal experiences as a part of that program. I'm transitioning into another major now, and as weird as that adjustment may be, I'm grateful for the highly qualified and helpful staff that we have in really every program here. I know I will be supported and taken care of no matter what.

Ember

The Financial Aid Office is so difficult to work with!

Jayden

The school doesn't have an overwhelming amount of people so it's a lot easier to get help from faculty and connect with people. There's a large variety of clubs and activities beyond classes that I'm excited to explore. I am actually really happy to be going to school here and am excited to continue this experience.

Sahira

Central Washington University is a smaller University but it is located in a smaller town, in my opinion the town is too small for the size of the university. There isn't many recreational activities to do but the ones that there is are quite fun. There aren't many stores here so if you're looking for a mall you'd have to commute.

Nathan

Central is relatively affordable, beautiful (if a bit remote), very diverse, and very friendly. For someone like me who comes from a smaller community as opposed to a big city, its size is not overwhelming. It may be a bit quiet for city-dwelling people, and some of my friends who come from the western side of the Cascades have hinted that it is somewhat boring for them there; nevertheless, there is always something going on at Central. There are always athletic and artistic events going on around Ellensburg. Though I don't know too much about the athletics at Central, I am heavily involved in the music department, and I can attest that it is one of the best in the country. The marching band's rendition of "the Star-Spangled Banner" is literally to die for. In short, I would recommend Central to anyone who like small class sizes, incredible faculty, and friendly neighbours.

Andrea

I think that CWU is the best college for me. It's not too big or too small, so I don't get overwhelmed by the amount of people here. To tag along with that, there's a small teacher to student ratio, which opens the door for greater communication between teacher and student in class and outside of class. I feel super comfortable at my dorm and the Rec Center is great in order to stay healthy while here at college.

Stacia

Central is a great university in a cute little town. There is not a whole lot in town which keeps you toward the campus but that is not necessarily a bad thing. There are many clubs and activities to join in on campus but with out a heavy class load there is plenty of time for studying and immersion in my field of study, which is aviation. The professional pilot program is great at central and offers a great student to faculty ratio. The Aviation LLC on campus is greatly organized and will be a very helpful study tool and could help me succeed in my path to becoming a professional pilot.

Judith

Central Washington University is very secluded. We are in the middle of Washington, so getting to the city is about a two hour drive. The campus is small and the class sizes are small. This is a big plus. However, this is a very conservative area. So if you are a liberal going to this college you may feel a little on edge.

Allison

Central Washington University is a place of beauty, centered on the academic performance and happiness of the students. The town of Ellensburg is quite small and provides little to do outside of the campus, though the town is extremely safe and has many unique aspects. The professors centralize themselves on the success of their students and are extremely approachable. In terms of academics, this school is the one to attend if you have any concerns as to your success.

Dariya

It is a very diverse campus with very different opportunities for each individual who attends. The energy is fun and community-involved, and the people there are friendly and helpful. The classes vary in size, but are interactive and teachers are available to answer questions. The campus feels comfortable and the atmosphere feels like a social hub.

I transferred here from WSU and could not be happier with the friendlier people, small-town lifestyle, and the supportive community. While here, my anxiety has been lessened because of the professors that are always willing to lend a hand, the people that are always up for a good conversation, and the town itself.

dysha

my overall opinion of Central would be that the faculty is very involed if you ask questions. they are always willing to help you if you need it. there is a lot that goes on at Central. They want people to be involoved and get out to do stuff they never have done before.

Joseph

It is a great school in a small town! Good people and great classes. The professors are always available when you need to contact them. The gym/rec center is awesome though sometimes a little packed. The on campus food isn't that healthy but if you are hungry it works.

Halle

Central Washington University is a great school for those looking for a more intimate public university that focuses on the students. The town is small and activities are more sparse than larger universities; however, your professors honestly care about your success and truly want you to go on to do things and represent the university well.

Olivia

Central beats all odds of every stereotype that claims that small colleges aren't as proficient as larger ones. With people like the United States Secretary of Defense General James N. Mattis who graduated from CWU, it's hard to proclaim that the Wildcats aren't just as successful as other schools. We compete in D1 Athletics with our Rugby team, we compete against Ivy league schools in Astronomical competitions, we are known for our Educational and Music program, yet we have only over 10,000 students attending the college. Central Washington University is the place to be when you are dedicated to defeating the odds and proving that CWU Wildcats have just enough grit as the others when it comes to the work force after college. I believe that Central Washington University is the place where life not only creates open doors and networks, but holds true to ethical beliefs that create strong, diverse, and emotionally dignified individuals. Central is a force for greatness, where anyone can proclaim that we are more than just a small town college.

Collin

In my personal experiences, Central Washington University is a very approachable campus with many faculty and staff to help students with all of their needs. That being said, there are countless resources around the campus which are easily accessible for all students. The recreational center, known as the SURC, provides a fairly large variety of dining options, including a buffet on the weekends and a corner store providing microwavable meals, drinks, snacks, and other common necessities. In addition to that, there is the Wildcat Shop, filled with all the fan gear, tech, school supplies, and books any student could need. One thing in particular that Central does very well is keep their students busy. By busy, I simply mean by having a very nice recreational center with a four court gym, indoor track, cardio room with many exercise equipment, a three-story rock climbing wall, and many intramural sports students can get involved in. Overall, I am very satisfied with my experiences here at Central and would recommend it to anyone who is wanting to attend college.

Hunter

Whether its the safe atmosphere or the friendly people you'll be hard pressed to find a campus so fun filled and inviting as Central. Though it's not without its faults, the place is great, personally I fine the sheer staggering amount of things to do there to be my favorite aspect of it all.

Jeanette

I think CWU is a great school for the small class sizes they offer, and the availability of the professors; however, I felt that they lacked in the availability of things to do on campus especially for upper classmen. Although they are trying to improve their on campus and off campus housing, currently, it is not the best. I would also like to mention that the financial aide office never truly knows what is going on, and will charge you for things that you don't know about until after graduation. Their tuition is cheap, but that comes at a cost.

joseph-thomas

it is awsome jrvdfkjbvkojbvdfkojbvdfklbvdfkljvdfjgkldsjgkdsfgiojerdkafslajgiajgkljdsfjghdfjghjodsgojdsgosdjrgohmvgnfdvklnjgcjkvmddddfnhkfbgkjdfnvkjldsfnvjdfshvjndfjvndfjkbvdsnjkbgfdjkbgkjfdnvokjhdfjgnkjfdnjohdsjfhjnhfghadjkgf;hewfkj;jkdhager;jghdfkjahgouierhguher;jfhugjhdufghuierhkjgfdhsegfiuoerhiugjhdjhuiofhguoierh

Aliyah

I really like Central. It’s in a small town, and there isn’t that much to do, but it keeps me focused on what I need to do for school. The campus is beautiful, especially during Fall. There’s an average amount of snowfall, and it can get extremely cold during the winter. I like the professors I’ve had so far because they’re very communicative. The Rec center here is a very nice facility.

Songbirds are chirping outside while I am at my work desk filling out scholarships. This morning I decide to take a long stroll before work and meander across the large patch of grass just outside Dean Hall. Students laze about in the grass, studying for finals week which is fast approaching. The Ganges runs through campus with ducks swimming like there is no tomorrow. Well, you get the picture. This campus is gorgeous. If you find your niche, this place can be refreshing. Now, the professionals behind the scenes are mostly helpful although there will occasionally be that one professor with a stick up his butt. However, I have yet to experience this professor although I know people who have unfortunately been greeted with a cold, unrelenting truth. The food here gets tiring after a while and the prices for housing can get pretty steep so I would advise an off-campus apartment. You should totally come here for Orientation! That way, you can find out whether this school is for you.

Debrah

I love it here. There are ton's of opportunities with all the campus resources. The environment is so friendly and welcoming. There are so many clubs and recreational events to attend. The focus is on school, the student work hard and the professors are great. The professors are their for you and put you first even before course work. They are so helpful and have a passion for teaching. This is a great school.

jadah

CWU is a good school with a lot of people who care for you and your academics. CWU is a school where the teachers like to interact with their students and make sure that the students know what they are being taught. The university is also very interactive with the students with the different clubs, events and dinners that are set up. I love CWU because it is a place where I feel comfortable knowing that I am getting the education I need for my future.

Kierra

Central is a medium sized college. Depends on what classes you have, most will be far away from each other and you'll have to speed walk or most will be close so you don't have to walk that much. They gives you ten minutes to get to classes. Sometime, when the teachers have nothing left to do or say, they would let you leave early. There's a lot of things to do. There's clubs, 5K runs, events, small shops close by the campus, café on campus, food trucks around there too, games to attend, a gym to use, and so on. Sure, there's people out here vaping and smoking, but they pretty much do that at night. I've never see anybody drinking alcohol. Probably because I don't get involve in the social life.

Zoey

Central Washington University is a safe and fun school. There are so many activities to do, such as the recreational center and clubs. The academics are amazing, and the small class size allows for one-on-one time with the professors and time to ask questions. I would definitely recommend this school to anyone looking to apply.

Aislinn

It is a great school, especially if you still like the small town feel. There is always something happening on campus and plenty of out of class activities. No matter if it's a barbecue or a sports event, you can find campus life thriving! Academics are also amazing. Professors are willing to help out in and out of class, and if you can't make it to their office hours, they are usually willing to help find a time to meet you.

Amber

Central Washington University has insufficient course availability to satisfy requirements, unhelpful professors, shallow curriculum; does not prepare you for the professional world, no financial support/resources, horrible student web interface/portal. The only positive aspect of this school is that the tuition is cheap. But remember, you get what you pay for!! My advice; keep looking! If you have decent grades, do not waste your time at CWU, there are lots of WA universities that are WAY better than this one...

justin

I am an online student in CWU's IT and Administration Management Program with 18cr left in the degree. For anyone considering this program I would highly recommend looking elsewhere. I choose CWU over WGU and other options because I thought CWU would carry more prestige, it offered a fully online curriculum, and had a Cyber Security major. I can say after completing all but 2 cyber security classes that this degree is pure garbage. Coming from North Seattle College with a two year degree and A+, Security+, and CCNA I was expecting the BAS program to pick up where a 2 year degree leaves off. I was wrong. This degree is just a piece of paper, I have not gained any practical IT skills AT ALL from the year and a half taking classes at CWU. Here are the reasons I couldn't recommend this program to my friends or acquiescence: Short Program - the program says it is 94-98 cr long, however only 16cr are 400 level classes. 23cr are 100-200 level classes and 8-12 cr come from an internship. Which leaves 63cr of upper division classes. Teachers do not give feedback and are not knowledgeable on subject matter - Teachers here will say "good job", that is the extent of the feedback received. I have asked technical questions such as how to convert base64 string into a .zip and instructors did not know the answer. Courses are elementary - I was excited for the Cyber Attack Defense class but there is no capture the flag exercise, no homework for 3 weeks out of a 10 week course. The Digital Forensics class was likewise a waste of time. CWU opted to use the cheaper ineffective software while you can get a whole degree and much better instruction from the required book's author at Highline community college. Some labs did not work as intended and the instructors response was "yeah, I know this program is kind of bad." No real BAS option - the BAS degree required me to take more general education requirements than the BS degree. It was quicker for me to take a few extra classes at CC to convert my AAS into an AS then go with CWU's BAS route. Customer Service - I missed withdrawing from class because I did not receive financial aid and was charged $2400. My appeal was denied even though I attended class online for less than 1 week and the class was not even full. I have no idea how you are supposed to get a job in the field coming into this program with a General AA degree. For someone looking to get into Cybersecurity I would recommend taking the time for a Computer Science degree, trying BC, WSU, WGU or options, or just getting certifications. I won't be able to get a job with this degree, I haven't gained any practical skills on top of what I had learned in Community College. If I had spent the last year studying for CEH, CASP, or CCNP I would have been time better spent than taking English 102 or Humanities 101. I did receive full financial aid which was the only positive. But, I wouldn't spend my own money for this school. I am unsure if I should complete this degree or try to pick up some practical skills from UW's continuing education programs.

Christina

It's a great school. They have amazing academics, they always have fun extracurricular activities. They always have majors fairs, clubs fairs, and a ton of other events like that as well. When freshman come in they are greeted by a weekend of getting to know the school and all the clubs that happen which is awesome.

After contemplating about my university, I can only speak good things about it. I been here 3 years and being involved in as many aspects of this university. Since I have attended, I can say that Central Washington University has a culture that feels like one big family. Starting with the first time on campus, our orientation program creates a sense of community and is very successful at helping us find our way around the school. They connect us with groups that have similar interests by introducing students to clubs, academic interests, and diversity organizations. The classes are usually small with around 20-30 people per class. The advisers help build multi-year plans for all your classes to make sure that we are on track. The professors and advisers are constantly meeting with students. At the end of each quarter, the professors pour over the evaluations and really take time to implement changes that they feel are need. I have made lifelong connections with some of the professors here and they have helped me prepare for a world after college. The administration has vocally supported diversity on campus and help build and support these groups by giving identity organizations funds and access to professional services. When I first came to this campus, I was starting to come out as a lesbian. When is asked about my concerns on how I would be received on campus, I was introduced to the diversity center on campus. They were able to sooth every fear I had of being out on campus. They were proud of being one of the best universities for LGBT students in the country. The school is out in the middle of the state in a small rural town, but that is what makes this place a hidden gem. It is especially nice for people that love the outdoors. There are places to go rock climbing, fishing, and hiking all within the outskirts of the town. Throughout my time on campus I was able to become very involved. I was given valuable skills by my fellow students as well as the staff and administration at this school. I was lucky enough to find this university and will suggest it to those I pass throughout my life.

Kennedy

Central Washington University is a great campus to attend college. Everything is within walking distance and the town of Ellensburg is supportive of the college community. The class sizes are great and the path to graduation is quite the journey. Advisors are very helpful and so are the teachers. Housing is pretty nice, too. The dorm life gets you connected with people in your major or other people on campus. Overall its a great place to be.

Lindsey

It has a very comfortable, welcoming feeling to all of it. The people are generally super inviting and friendly, I met my two best friends on welcome weekend and were rooming together next year. The classes are perfect in size and most professors are fun and interesting, some are kinda weird. Overall, I really enjoy going to Central and it already feels like home.

This is a really good school to go to if you want to work with kids. Also the teachers are really helpful if you are struggling and offer a lot of study sessions for the classes. the class sizes are not to big but also this isn't really a party school

Sage

I love Central Washington University because its close to home. And you go to class for approximately an hour every day. You have class almost every day besides the weekend. And you get to meet new people from different countries and states. My overall opinion of Central Washington University is that it is a medium school, can meet people who is from different cultures, and is close to home for some people (like me).

Alexandria

My opinion of Central Washington University is not extremely developed yet, but I am attending the school in the Winter quarter of 2019. I am so excited to go here, having visited the campus and seen how beautiful it is made me look forward to my future there even more! The professors seem friendly and intelligent, the students smile when you make eye contact, the food is good, and the classroom sizes are small and intimate. I can’t wait to attend CWU and play soccer there!

Tara

This college makes me feel at home. I always know that there is someone, somewhere, that I am able to talk to about anything that I need help with. My professors are always there for the students at any time that they are needed, along with office hours, their doors are always open for students to stop by whenever they want with any question that they have. I feel like the faculty and staff really care about my education and want me to strive to be the best student that I can possibly be, and if I am ever struggling with anything, I know that they are always there to talk to me and help me through it. I love the students here, I always feel like I have a friend anywhere I go, and it is so easy to talk to someone about anything, and know that they are listening and that they care about whatever you are going through. I really feel safe at this school, I really feel like I can roam freely through the campus without having to worry about my life being in danger. This school really is the perfect school to attend for someone who is looking for a place where they will always feel at home. I have never been more happy in my life than during my time at Central Washington University.

Rileigh

I personally like central Washington university because classes are small, professors are caring and helpful, and you make more friends. The food is great and the staff is super helpful. Central also offers tutoring services to help students who are struggling or need any help on something that is confusing to them. Central tries to reach out to those who need help and they want to make things better for the students.

Central Washington University is an amazing school. There are so many different things to get people involved. The campus is beautiful, the faculty is amazing, and the people here are so great. I believe that everyone should look into Central when they are looking for a college to go to.

I love this school.