Honolulu, HI
Chaminade University of Honolulu

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Chaminade University of Honolulu

Amy

Amy, Since you will be starting at Chaminade's nursing program next fall I have some advice for you. First, if you take the bus in the morning, remember a blanket. It gets cold and you will thank me for the sleep you can catch up on. Second, remember your academic planner and find an accountability partner. Calendars are nice physical reminders of due dates and accountability will help keep your goals out in the open. Finally, save up your money accordingly and look for as many scholarship opportunities you can. I know finishing this last high school semester was hard and your brother finally out of the psychiatric hospital took a toll on your drive. But, you are strong, dedicated, and have proven you are ready for college. Do not take my word on it, listen to your mom because she is normally right (okay more than normally). College is still like high school in that they both are for hopes of a better education. In a couple weeks or so, maybe even less, you will feel at ease. Sincerely with much blessings, Wisdom from an undergraduate.

The amount of credits you are allowed to take per semester and how much summer school courses could cost.

genelle

The people that I’ve met in my program have become so much more than classmate to me and the only word I can begin to think of to describe each of them is family.

Knowing what I know now about college I would tell my high school self to not worry about what the future holds and to explore. Explore whatever interests you, take courses that spark your curiosity, and learn more about yourself. I entered college with a set plan of studying business and getting my degree in business. My first year of college I took business courses without even really thinking out what I wanted to do with that degree and I only chose that path for the sole reason because I wanted to graduate with something within four years and get a job as soon as I could. I slowly realized after taking a bunch of business courses that I was unhappy and I wanted to seek something else. So my second year I did just that, I explored with art courses that led me to interior design. I believe that taking that time to enroll in different courses and learning about what I liked and didn’t like helped me to learn more about myself and what majors interested me.

Chaminade University of Honolulu is an amazing school though if I were to change anything it would be their website. I've attended other colleges before transferring over and I find it confusing navigating their website. I constantly feel like I'm going on a hunt to find anything. For example, the navigation tools to search for classes or grades are located on the bottom right of the page. We generally read from left to right and it would be convenient if it was located on the top left hand corner so it's the first thing the user sees.

Going to a large college without visiting it can be difficult. Make the effort to visit so you can see what all is involved with the amounts of people, etc. Make some visits to smaller colleges, too. But what matters most can be the friends you make. You may feel overwhelmed by the number of people at school, but you are not the only one who feels that way, and what is going to make all the difference once you get used to it, are your friends. These are life long relationships, and they want to support you, so don't be afraid to open up. As far as feeling alone with difficulty in engineering, again, you are not the only one. Talk to your friends about it. Try talking to a career counselor about what you like to DO, what classes do you take because you enjoy, not what you're good at in school or what you think you should do because you feel like you have to find the hardest thing.

alofamoni

The one thing I personally feel is really unique about this school and really caught my attention is the diversity. The diversity in this school is embraced, well-understood and appreciated; from the faculty members, the professors, employees and the students.

Being a college student has been both tremendous and challenging. Tremendous in having the oportunity to expand my academic horizons and work hard to achieve my dreams. It has been challenging in always trying to make sure I had enough funding available and falling back when my family encountered challenging times. I was a successful student in high school; so successful that I felt invincible to every challenge that came my way. Little did I know that one day, I'd face the rare challenge of seeing my family fall apart and at the time, try to keep myself together. If I could go back to being my high school self, I'd say, "Don't forget why you're leaving your family. Everything you do from here on out is for them. Despite the hardships that will come your way, don't ever let it take your eyes off the goal of completing college. Don't forget that your every accomplishment is a step closer to a beautiful home, being able to help mom pay for the electricity on time, and health insurance for dad." With scholarship opportunities, determination, and faith, I'm back and ready to succeed.

Chaminade University is well known for diversity, small class sizes, and the relationship you develop with everyone you come across on campus. The diversity makes you truly appreciate who you are and where you come from, and it makes you really understand others you meet. The small class sizes gives you the opportunity to learn better and to be able to communicate with your professor one on one. In addition to great things that diversity brings, the cultural clubs afford you the opportunity to building life-long friendships with the great people you meet. This is a great school.

Jeramae

If I were to go back to myself as a high school senior, the best advice that I could give myself is to be determined. I believe determination would help a student strive for the best in producing quality work. In addition, being determined benefit students in times of stress or when school-work can be quite overwhelming, it serves a motivation for a student to work harder.

There are several things that I consider the worst things about Chaminade. One of them will be the tuition fee, despite it being a private school, I think the school should provide more scholarship opportunities for student. Another worst thing about the school is parking. I think that parking should be complimentary to all students.

Individuals who are not determined to pursue a career and achieve their goals shouldn't attend this school. The school can be financially heavy, therefore, an student should be serious in pursuing their education.

Chaminade University is a very diverse school that always encourages every student to come out of their comfort zone and to enrich their lives by experiencing new unique oppurtunities.

Hello 18 year old Jenny, I’m Jenny from the future. I would like to let you know that your life is about to change and be ready for the ride of your life. I know you might be tempted to go to the beach every day since you are leaving boring old Massachusetts and heading to beautiful Hawaii, but STAY FOCUSED. Most importantly balance your time and get a job. The money situation will be tight but hold on because if you work hard and higher your GPA, you can get the school scholarship (which you’ll end up getting by the way). It might seem hard at first to be balanced but it is possible and worth it. Another good bit of advice is sign up for as much scholarships as you possibly can because you don’t want to be struggling. Please take my advice because if I knew this now I would be in a much better position financially. Be responsible and have the time of your life! ***BINGS BACK TO THE FUTURE**** ( where I hopfully win this scholarship ) :D

To attend Chaminade University and love it as much as I do, one must be adventurous, open minded, responsible, and have a strong work ethic.

Dana

Most of them were driven, goal oriented and wanted to be in class. Many of them were focused on attaining their Bachelor’s degree and moving on with their futures.

I started my college career right after high school and by the end of my first semester I discovered I was not ready for college and enlisted in the United States Marine Corps. I have called the Marine Corps my home for the past twelve years and I have no regrets for leaving school early to join. However, if I had the opportunity to go back and talk to myself, I would certainly express the importance of setting goals to focus on during college and showing the discipline to finish the course work to obtain a degree. Express to myself how fulfilling and satisfying if was to obtain my Associate’s and Bachelor’s degrees. More importantly I would have at least forced myself to complete an Associate’s degree before entering the military. Thus making the attainment of a Bachelor's degree that much easiler and I would have been able to do it in a shorter time period.

I cannot say I had a bad experience at Chaminade, because I did not. The worst part about graduating from Chaminade is that I had to leave Hawaii.

Alexia

You can never do too many scholarships!!! Those nights that I wanted to just hang with my friends or be lazy at home doing nothing, that time should have been for applying for more scholarships. Unless you are born with a silver spoon, college is pretty expensive for most people. You are going to need as much financial help as possible during the minimal four years of college. Especially for the students that plan on going to school out of state. Tuition is extremely high for non residents, and that doesnt even include if you are going to city with a higher cost of living or not. Nevertheless, do not limit yourself to attending schools that are close to home or with "friends." 99.9% of the time you will lose touch with those high school "friends" anyway. But choosing to go far from home for school not only intoduces you to a new world of opportunities, cultures, and life; but it ultimately expands your horizons for a more exciting,worthwhile future.

If you dont want to expand your horizons mentally, spiritually, socially, emotionally, and physically; this isnt the place for you. It feels like being in a different country when you come to Hawaii. There is so much diversity here in EVERYTHING! Languages, food, nationalities, all kinds of things. For alot of people, coming to Hawaii is quite a way from home. Coming over here takes you out of your comfort zone and forces you to be independent. Chaminade University is a place that helps you grow and develop into the motivated young person that you want and need to be.

Definitely the location!! I am just 5 minutes from Waikiki Beach and there is soooo much to do here!! I have gone to so many functions all over the island and learning more about the Hawaiian culture. The only people that truly know Hawaii's history are its natives. Visiting places like Queen Emma's Summer Palace and the Iolani Palace have been amazing experiences for me. I feel so at home here learning how to hula and eating the traditional Hawaiian foods. They really know how to make you feel like a part of the ohana (family).

Talitha

Talitha, please attend college directly after High School! The reason that I urge you to do this is because with higher education comes freedom. The freedom to go any where and still have the ability to get not just a job, but a great job! It allows for financial freedom! It allows for freedom in everyway! Attending right out of High School allows for an easier transition as you will go from attending school to attending college. It also saves time! It saves the many wasted years of trying to succeed but never really getting any where. The transition is easiest if done immediately.

My classmates are black, white, hawaiian, asian, military, civilian, male, female and are diverse in every way.

Chaminade University is a Catholic school and as such I believe that a person who is an Atheist would probably not want to attend.

Daphne

The advice I would give to myself is to study more for the SAT's and to next time complete all my assignments. If I had been able to do that, I could've had more options on what colleges I can attend.

What I wish I had known before I came to Chaminade University was finding out a Dance Team program. I thought there would be one but there isn't. The reason why I wish I had known about that is because I have been dancing jazz, ballet, and hiphop. Therefore, I want to be able to continue my hobby while I am at college.

What I consider the worst thing about my school is that it is located on a hill. It gets very tiring from walking all the way up and down to the dorms and the parking lot. Another thing that I consider worst about my school is that there are only 3 buildings for most of the main classes. I wish that there were more.

Chaminade University of Honolulu administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.