Chaminade University of Honolulu

« See more reviews of Chaminade University of Honolulu

Amy, Since you will be starting at Chaminade's nursing program next fall I have some advice for you. First, if you take the bus in the morning, remember a blanket. It gets cold and you will thank me for the sleep you can catch up on. Second, remember your academic planner and find an accountability partner. Calendars are nice physical reminders of due dates and accountability will help keep your goals out in the open. Finally, save up your money accordingly and look for as many scholarship opportunities you can. I know finishing this last high school semester was hard and your brother finally out of the psychiatric hospital took a toll on your drive. But, you are strong, dedicated, and have proven you are ready for college. Do not take my word on it, listen to your mom because she is normally right (okay more than normally). College is still like high school in that they both are for hopes of a better education. In a couple weeks or so, maybe even less, you will feel at ease. Sincerely with much blessings, Wisdom from an undergraduate.

When I was in high school, I thought planning for college and my future would be so easy. I thought it was just knowing what college I wanted to go to, what I wanted to major in, and what career I saw myself in. I was completely wrong. I didn't think of the finance, the courses i would have to take, how many credits I want to start with, the tuition, where I would stay and so much more. I should have done deep research about college. Preparing for college academically, for example high school GPA, wasn't so hard but it didn't mean i was prepared completely. The most important thing i had to do was to prepare ahead of time which is something i still need to do. An advice I would give myself is do deep research and prepare. If I was still a high school senior, I would ask college students about college life concerning academics, resident, social, mentally, and emotionally. I would searchdifferent scholarships that will help with my tuition, learn more about financial aid, and much more. I just have to be prepared.

I attended Chaminade University of Honolulu in Hawaii, from Fall term 1984 to Spring term 1986. Attending Chaminade provided me with a faith based (Marianist), education which allowed me to grow both intellectually and personally. I was also fortunate enough to receive a scholarship during my two year course of study at Chaminade, without which I could not have afforded to attend Chaminade. Although a privately run school, Chaminade University did not discriminate between self paying students and finacial aid, scholarship recipients like myself. I was also able to write for the Silversword, Chaminade's student publication, which was a very rewarding experience for me, both academically and personally. My stint with the Silversword helped me to hone my writing skills. Finally, the cosmopolitan student body at Chaminade gave me an opportunity to meet students from domestic as well as international backgrounds. I am firmly convinced that I received a well rounded education at Chaminade University.

After graduating from high school in 2009, I decided to attend a two year community college. I started out majoring with a Liberal Arts Science degree with plans to attend a 4 year college to earn a degree in Meteorology. Since attending Erie Community College I have changed my major to an Environmental Technology Geoscience 2 year degree with a certificate in Geographic Information Systems(GIS). I hoping that this 2 year degree will lead to a full-time job and then I can continue to earn a 4 yr degree. I wasn't sure that I would like to go to a community college but I like the college and living at home. I think that if I lived at college I wouldn't have the privacy and quiet time that I need to study and focus on my courses. My experience of college so far is that I made the right choice and at the moment I am happy with my major. It has been very valuable to attend a 2 year community college because I know when I graduate I will have a better chance of finding a job in a field that I will like.

Hey! So, in a couple of years, you'll come to the decision to drop out of school and date a horrible girl. After that, you'll move to Seattle and live with your brother. During this time, you'll work in a warehouse with lesbian women who want to make you in charge of a beading store. You'll say no. You get bored with this and drive for thousands of miles to reach the Grand Canyon. Upon reaching it, you find that there are some officials who charge you money to get in. You opt to go to the lesser canyon, and are still impressed because you haven't seen the real one. You move to a new city and begin to date the horrible girl again, but during this horrible dating time, you are also going back to college. Eventually you finish, recieve an AA, meet some good people, and somehow manage to get an outstanding student of the year award for your service to the student body. You now live in Hawaii, swim in the blue ocean when you aren't studying, and have an outstanding tan. So here's some advice: keep it up!

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior there would be one thing I would emphasize for me to do that I am trying to catch up on now. I would tell myslef all the troubles the cost of college can causes and that there are many different scholarships out there willing to help with my education. I would explain that I need to get on top of things and start filling out more applications because I could use all the money I could get for my college tuition. Loans are something I?ve had to unfortunately take part in and now I have come to the sad realization that I will be in debt when I graduate. It will then take years to pay for my education in the long run. I am trying to take the burden of my college costs out of my mothers hands as a single parent with cancer, we are having a troubles with our finances. There are people willing to help with my education so I would beg myself to apply for as many scholarships possible because college is very expensive and hard.

I have truely come to learn and accept how Chaminade runs as a university and a business. My first year at Chaminade wasn't what I had planned and it wasn't just me either. Many students like myself wanted to leave or had already left because of the cost, grades, and homesickness. Although I had a balance and was worried that I had to wait and come back spring semester because I couldn't pay my balance and that meant no dorm, no classes. I finally gotten over that burden and paid my balance and I am dorming and enjoying my classes very well. I was one of those students who felt Chaminade did suck and Hawaii wasn't what I expected, but I can say that I'm falling in likes with my school and I love Hawaii. Attending school in America where the culture is so different it seems foreign it has been a pleasure to know a different culture. I wouldn't trade another school in the world to recieve the education I am recieving at Chaminade. I'm here to stay and finish no matter what.

My liberal arts degree & LPN degree will open a door for me to get into the RN program at Boise State University. I know that if I were to go out to the job market I would be in a higher pay range then if I had not gone to college. I am looking forward to finishing my bachelors degree. I do adult foster care for the disabled and these degrees that I have now will expand my career choice to be able to help more people, but I prefer to get my BSN in nursing so that I can help even more people. I am very thankful that I have had the chance to get my liberal arts degree and LPN certificate. I believe going back to school has helped me to relate better with my children that are young adults and in college. College has given me a better understanding of what the kids face at school. School can be looked at a haven of hope or despairing mountain that seems to hard to climb, but it is learning to take one step at a time and not look at the path but envisioning the goal.

My advice on finding the right college is to first figure out what you want to do for the rest of your life even if that means going to the local college for a year or two and take different classes that sound interesting to you, once you know what will make you happy for the rest of you life do a search of what college's offer a degree in that field and what type of degree it is. Once you have that narrowed down then look at what they have to offer in a social and acadmic setting then go a head and apply to the ones you have narrowed down. When you get to college the first few weeks will be scary and exciting for you, make the most of it by getting to know not only kids your age but some of the upperclassmen who can show you the ropes and how to balance studing and partying. Don't be afraid to make mistakes just be yourself and remember to call home once a week so that your parent's don't think you dropped off the face of this earth. Just remember to have fun!!!

Knowing what I know now about college I would tell my high school self to not worry about what the future holds and to explore. Explore whatever interests you, take courses that spark your curiosity, and learn more about yourself. I entered college with a set plan of studying business and getting my degree in business. My first year of college I took business courses without even really thinking out what I wanted to do with that degree and I only chose that path for the sole reason because I wanted to graduate with something within four years and get a job as soon as I could. I slowly realized after taking a bunch of business courses that I was unhappy and I wanted to seek something else. So my second year I did just that, I explored with art courses that led me to interior design. I believe that taking that time to enroll in different courses and learning about what I liked and didn’t like helped me to learn more about myself and what majors interested me.