Chaminade University of Honolulu

« See more reviews of Chaminade University of Honolulu

You can never do too many scholarships!!! Those nights that I wanted to just hang with my friends or be lazy at home doing nothing, that time should have been for applying for more scholarships. Unless you are born with a silver spoon, college is pretty expensive for most people. You are going to need as much financial help as possible during the minimal four years of college. Especially for the students that plan on going to school out of state. Tuition is extremely high for non residents, and that doesnt even include if you are going to city with a higher cost of living or not. Nevertheless, do not limit yourself to attending schools that are close to home or with "friends." 99.9% of the time you will lose touch with those high school "friends" anyway. But choosing to go far from home for school not only intoduces you to a new world of opportunities, cultures, and life; but it ultimately expands your horizons for a more exciting,worthwhile future.

Hello 18 year old Jenny, I’m Jenny from the future. I would like to let you know that your life is about to change and be ready for the ride of your life. I know you might be tempted to go to the beach every day since you are leaving boring old Massachusetts and heading to beautiful Hawaii, but STAY FOCUSED. Most importantly balance your time and get a job. The money situation will be tight but hold on because if you work hard and higher your GPA, you can get the school scholarship (which you’ll end up getting by the way). It might seem hard at first to be balanced but it is possible and worth it. Another good bit of advice is sign up for as much scholarships as you possibly can because you don’t want to be struggling. Please take my advice because if I knew this now I would be in a much better position financially. Be responsible and have the time of your life! ***BINGS BACK TO THE FUTURE**** ( where I hopfully win this scholarship ) :D

Going to college may feel extraordinarily nerve-wracking to new freshman and transfers, but the experience higher education brings is beyond worthwhile. The two best things that I've gotten out of my college experience are the new and diverse people I meet, and the world of educational opportunities presented to me. Going to school in Hawai'i meant getting as far away from home as possible without leaving the USA. How anxiety-producing! The best ideas usually are. Now I have friends from all over the world, and learn new tings about their native languages and cultures every day. My classes have made me more sophisticated and intelligent. College requirements mean taking courses in areas that I never would have considered studying on my own. If it weren't for college, I would never have discovered that I adore Communications. Now I want to continue studying it both in school and on my own time!

Going to a large college without visiting it can be difficult. Make the effort to visit so you can see what all is involved with the amounts of people, etc. Make some visits to smaller colleges, too. But what matters most can be the friends you make. You may feel overwhelmed by the number of people at school, but you are not the only one who feels that way, and what is going to make all the difference once you get used to it, are your friends. These are life long relationships, and they want to support you, so don't be afraid to open up. As far as feeling alone with difficulty in engineering, again, you are not the only one. Talk to your friends about it. Try talking to a career counselor about what you like to DO, what classes do you take because you enjoy, not what you're good at in school or what you think you should do because you feel like you have to find the hardest thing.

I would tell myself to enjoy my high school years and not stress so much about college admissions. There are always alternatives to getting into a good school and if I don't get into my top rated school, I can always transfer afterwards. During my senior in high school, all I would worry about was to get a high GPA and pass all my AP exams so that I could get college credit. However, these didn't exactly help me in college. College is a whole new beginning... you start over again as a real "freshmen" and gradually learn to become a better student as every semester passes on. Perhaps, everything that you need to learn such as essays, reports, time management, financial aid, etc will be learnt again but in more depth in one's college years. Hence, I would recommend to enjoy one's high school senior year with friends and family and especially relax while still keeping up the good grades.

Personally, I feel that you only have one college experience. Once you get out of high school, college is a whole other world. You have to find a college that fits your personality and has the curriculum you enjoy. College is there to help you figure out your career, not a job, but a career, so be wise when selecting a college. Don't pick a college because your friend is attending it, pick a college that you know will benefit you in the long run because after all it is YOUR FUTURE! To the parents, try to be supportive as possible for any decisions your child has to make for themselves, it is part of the growing up process. So new college students, please make the best of your college experience and live your experience with NO REGRETS! Do everything you wish to accomplish because down the line you don't ever want to say "WHAT IF?" GOOD LUCK TO YOU ON THE NEW CHAPTER OF YOUR LIVES!

I started my college career right after high school and by the end of my first semester I discovered I was not ready for college and enlisted in the United States Marine Corps. I have called the Marine Corps my home for the past twelve years and I have no regrets for leaving school early to join. However, if I had the opportunity to go back and talk to myself, I would certainly express the importance of setting goals to focus on during college and showing the discipline to finish the course work to obtain a degree. Express to myself how fulfilling and satisfying if was to obtain my Associate’s and Bachelor’s degrees. More importantly I would have at least forced myself to complete an Associate’s degree before entering the military. Thus making the attainment of a Bachelor's degree that much easiler and I would have been able to do it in a shorter time period.

Knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition from high school to college, if I were to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell the young senior to focus on preparation skills and to always have determination. Preparation and determination are two key ingredients to success! I've learned from experiences in life, if you fail to prepare, prepare to fail. Also, as seen in sports worldwide, the better prepared team often times prevails. However, Determination is an imperative attribute that virtually anyone would benefit from. Its not always the rabbit who wins the race, sometimes it takes will over skill. Preparation and determination are two key ingredients to success!

Thus far, out of my college experience, I have gained a better understanding of different cultures and an unforgettable opportunity to meet people from all across the globe. It has been the most valuable to attend Chaminade because it led the way into the newest chapter and adventure of my life. If I had not attended Chaminade, or any other college for that matter, I would have not have had the rare chance to meet all the wonderful people I met nor would I have gotten to participate in, learn and grow from all the experiences and opportunities I was blessed with. Chaminade changed my life because it exceeded all expectations I had of the kind of college I wanted to attend.

The right college for your child, or yourself, would probably be class size, location, and environment. Once you feel comfortable with a college of your choice, its just a matter of moving in, discovering what is located around you (stores, food, etc), making friends, and just being yourself. Once college starts, be ontop of things so you dont get behind, but that doesnt mean you have to be studing all the time, make friends and go out and have fun! Just dont do things your not suppose to do, be wise and smart. College is suppose to be a learning experiance and making the best of friends out of it and the most important of all being independant .