Chaminade University of Honolulu

« See more reviews of Chaminade University of Honolulu

Knowing what I know now, the advice that I would give my previous self would be to let "who you were" in highschool, go. I'm not saying that you should dismiss your merits, honors, and achievements, but I think that if we let our popularity and social aspects that we had in highschool go, that we could transition easier and without fail. With the academic year of 2009-2010 being my first year of college, I've had to learn to let my highschool life go, and be open to a new life with new people and experiences. From where I stand, I think that this is what most of us college freshman fail to realize until it's too late.

College is a time for advancing yourself for future career and social endeavors. At Chaminade University, I was able to learn through small class sizes the importance of personalization with professors and peers to succeed. By being able to know my classmates by name, I was able to build relationships that followed through throughout the school year. This treasure of relationship with people is important because it has prepared me for my future interactions with clients, businessmen, and employees. I have learned the significance of a person and how to approach their values with my own.

Find a school that best fits the students needs and morals. It all depends on the student. I have found that smaller class sizes give individual students the chance to feel like they are part of a bigger community. That "together-ness" is essential in colleges. College should be a great experience, and what better way to experience it with people who share the same values and goals as you. I would also suggest finding a college that offers a range of extracurricular activities. This will give students the chance to bond with other students they may not have the same classes with.

Talitha, please attend college directly after High School! The reason that I urge you to do this is because with higher education comes freedom. The freedom to go any where and still have the ability to get not just a job, but a great job! It allows for financial freedom! It allows for freedom in everyway! Attending right out of High School allows for an easier transition as you will go from attending school to attending college. It also saves time! It saves the many wasted years of trying to succeed but never really getting any where. The transition is easiest if done immediately.

The most important thing that I would tell myself is this: ?Please don?t waste your precious time!? The 6 years following my high school graduation, I was in the U.S. Navy. I wish that someone would have told me to use that time to get my education completed, however I have had to learn the hard way. I am doing my best to complete a degree in psychology, so that I may then obtain a masters in counseling. I feel that my life?s purpose it to help people overcome problems in their lives, and I need an excellent education to do so. Thank you, Emily Day

Parents, but students especially should visit the potential schools in order to get a feel for the environment. The student needs to be comfortable, both physically and emotionally. Parents and/ or students should also explore the tuition and expenses of all potential schools to find the right choice(s) financially, and their budget should be kept in mind for as long as it will take to finish the degree. Parents and/ or students should also inquire about financial aide because it could end up helping if paying tuition on their own is not possible.

I would tell myself to get more help understanding a financial aid award letter. I would say to do more research on the schools that interest me and the living situations. I didn't know my school's out-of-state tuition was so high. I would tell myself to get help from people in college and not from my family because not one member has been to college. I woud learn to manage my money better. I would apply for scholarships for that college. I would tell myself to apply to school closer than my current school. I would say college life is awesome!

I would tell both parent and students to look for the school that offers the best program that interests you. I would also tell the student to look at the background of the school and the website to see what alumni and others have to say about the school in general. Then i would tell them to make a decision on the school of their choice by thinking about how they would feel in that place and by how hard they are willing to work to complete the area of study that they had thought about going into.

Finding the right college isn?t always the easiest thing to do. For myself, I looked at class sizes. I like the idea of connecting with my professors and my fellow classmates. Other thing to look at is the location of your college. Do you like being in cold weather or hot weather more? If you have allergies like I do, how is the environment for your allergies? Another important aspect is does the college have your major? Are you going to take on a minor?

Choosing a school is a hard choice to make with the cost tuition, books, housings, transportation and other necessities. The right college is not the prestigious name, but the academics involved. The committment, hard work and dedication to schoolwork, making friends, adapting to social change, cultural diffirences, and the appreciation of a college education. The colleges needs to be economically feasible for you & your family.