Burlington, VT
Champlain College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Champlain College

Danial

There are the most awesome people here.

There are the most awesome people here.

I would tell myself to keep doing my work, stay in school even when times are tough and listen to my teachers and parents! There is a whole world out there to discover and good times are ahead of you!

Colleen

Most classmates are professionals who add intellect to the conversation; occasionally, some prefer to sleep through class instead of participate, but those who don't add to the conversation do not interrupt it.

Dear Colleen, At 2:00 PM today, you will officially be a high school graduate. At 2:44 PM, you, still in cap and gown, will be at the town transfer station, selling cold soda in an entrepreneurial effort to make the $2,000 you need to accept your place at your first choice college. Graduation parties can wait—you need to be sure down to the last lucky penny. Don’t worry. You’ll make enough to pay your first semester, and second semester, you’ll pull three nine-hour-days a week to pay it again. And still, don’t worry. Come junior year, you’ll spring the $400 to travel for Spring Break and you’ll make eight new friends working with Habitat for Humanity more than one thousand miles from home. And you’ll still have enough to send home when Rachel has the accident, and you’ll still, somehow, have $2,000 to your name when you start applying for scholarships again before your last year of college. Money isn’t everything. Money isn’t even anything. Make your living, and live your life—don’t worry. Love Colleen

Champlain has limited housing and meal plan options. All students who registar on time are garenteed housing, but all of on-campus housing requires the purchase of the meal plan. Champlain has only one "off-campus" option, in the next town over, and rents for apartments nearby average $800 a month.

Emma

Champlain is a small campus located in downtown Burling, Vermont with lots of shopping and restaurants within walking distanc...

Champlain is a small campus located in downtown Burling, Vermont with lots of shopping and restaurants within walking distance.

If I could go back in time, my advice would be the obvious stuff. Work harder in high school and you will have a better chance of being successful in college. Teachers always told me that I was doing okay and I hardly put any effort in. I was a B/C student, but you don't realize how hard you need to work until you enter college. I also wish I had focused more on getting better grades. I'm attending a school that costs 44k per year. Scholarships come easier for those who were successful in high school.

I'm use to a more rural environment. My opinion is that Burlington is a little too much city.

Sara

Assuming I could return to advise myself as a high school senior, there is one lesson that I would have benefited from immensely. After graduating, I was unsettled about my lack of career and education plan -- I had assumed the path would have become clear by then. Consequently, I spent two years fretfully considering a course of action, feeling as though I had to race to make up for my tardiness. I was unaware until later that this was a common struggle among recent graduates. Were I able to return to that worried eighteen year old, I would explain to her that there is no right or standard path to be taken, that finding the best path for me might take some time, and that education is, really, a journey that should be continued throughout life. I have learned the important lesson that this journey does not end abruptly when the standard stopwatch runs out of time. If I could advise my younger self, I would tell her to take her time, that it is okay, there is no rush. This is one lesson that I would have benefited from, and I want to share it with current students too.

Champlain College provides an educational experience for all types. Are you interested in being part of a close-knit student community? Do you want to build personal connections with your professors and classmates? Is a beautiful campus in scenic New England what you are looking for? Do you highly prioritize a college's hands-on learning approach and renowned career placement services? If you answered yes to any, even all, of these questions, then Champlain College is the right school for you!

When I tell my friends about my school, I mostly brag about the benefits of small class sizes. At Champlain, students are more closely involved with their professors and classmates thanks to a comfortable student-teacher ratio. Professors are highly regarded professionals in their fields, and they are able to uniquely tailor learning in the familiar and friendly classroom environments. I know that my professors are invested in my education, and if I require assistance, they are interested in bolstering my learning experience with their advice.

Melissa

My peers at Champlain College are open and welcoming.

My peers at Champlain College are open and welcoming.

Your closest friends still sometimes make mistakes. Don't write letters when you are angry. Sometimes understanding your perspective means abandoning their own, and they can't just do that because you ask them too (even if you think you are right). If someone is unwilling to bend to fix a problem, you should not be so concerned with your relationship with them. You should not have to bend over backwards for someone who won't bend for you. Your family will be your best friends if you let them and your worst enemies if you don't; get your attitude right. They will always love you. When you need to rock the boat, make sure you don't capsize. It is okay to eat your feelings every now and then, just don't make it a habit. It is okay to revise your beliefs once and a while. It is healthy to admit you are wrong on a regular basis. Ask for help when you need it. Try new things, it will help you get over your fear of change. Enjoy your life, because it is actually pretty cool.

Someone who thrives in smaller environments. If you like to see people you know everywhere you go and have the oppertunity to goof around as well as learn a lot and become prepared for work in your field, attend Champlain.

Champlain is in my home state. I come from a small town here in Vermont, so this was my first step to get used to "city life." I love the people here. It doesn't feel as congested as a college located in the heart of NYC for example, and academics and the social life is just as strong as in other areas. Champlain is definitely one-of-a-kind and I would highly recommend it to someone looking for a unique intimate college experience.

"Don't feel you have to put up with something negative that you have the ability to change." I was placed (as a single child and native Vermonter) in a dorm room with three extremely bossy and disrespectful girls from Massachusettes who all had siblings. This was too much to deal with on top of settling into college and keeping up with my academics. Although my grades didn't slip, my social life was essentially non-existant. I would go home for a weekend to visit my family and get away, and I would come back to find dirty dishes and laundry all over my bed and my space that didn't belong to me. I became very depressed because I wasn't making friends. This was a really dark time for me. Eventually I decided that I'd had enough and made a room change by the second semester. I began making friends and am now currently living with a best friend and roommate of over two years! Having the power to change my environment to suit my needs was a valuable lesson I learned my freshman year, and what a difference it has made.

Someone who has lived in a big city and feels comfortable there. Burlington is Vermont's largest city, but it still often has that small-town feel. Most everything is in walking distance from campus, but if you want to go to a place like Walmart, you need a car or a city bus to drive you the 20 mins it takes to get there. Vermont is filled with people trying to live healthier lifestyles, so if you aren't committed to saving the planet, this may not be the place for you.

Desiree

My classmates are very friendly and likable. Though I've yet to really meet them, they seem to be full of life.

I haven't started my college experience yet, but I will be very shortly. I hope to gain perspective and a more helpful, friendly attitide towards others.

I usually tell people about the three-dimentional education system Champlain uses, as well as the beautiful and vivacious atmosphere the campus and Burlington have.

So far, I've really enjoyed college. I feel like it's really expanding and changing how I think in a very positive way. The lectures, the discussions, I love them both. Just hearing my peers opinions and thoughts, no matter how different from my own, is always a worthwhile experience for me and I'd never stop attending college, no matter what.

Shannon

Perfectly situated, both in location and status, to provided excellent education and opportuities.

As a professional, I was at first scared and anxious to return to college at the age of twenty-six. My experience so far at Champlain College has been both positive and encouraging. The professors are extremely helpful and open. I am constantly motivated to share my opinions and look forward to attendning classes every day. How many students can honestly say that! The benefit to attending college in such a small state/city is that many of the professors have ties to local businesses, allowing students access to internships and job opportunities. I am truly blessed to attend such a beautiful college, nestled in the middle of Lake Champlain and rolling mountains.

Being an adult learner, I would like to see a greater ratio of older, mature students on campus.

Kirsten

stereo-typical vermont. relaxed. a bit like high school

stereo-typical vermont. relaxed. a bit like high school

Relaxed, a lot of game majors, fun, supportive, hard workers.

College has shown me who I am. I have realized my potential and am now working harder then ever to fufill it. I also see what a hugh impact someone with my major, criminal justice can make. I have also gained more direction in my life. I now know that I either want to work in the FBI or become a lawyer in the foster care system.

Champlain College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.