Orange, CA
Chapman University

Extracurricular Activities

Nearby Shops and Services

Jaclyn

I am going into my second year at Chapman University and I can't wait! Chapman has provided me with nurturing professors as well as students and peers easy to connect with and form positive relationships. Chapman University's Dodge College of Film and Media Arts provides many events and guest speakers pertaining to our majors which helps me feel immersed in the industry. The film school also provides top notch facilities to create excellent work. I can say I am extremely proud to attend such a wonderful university.

Gina
Beautiful campus & nice people

Beautiful campus & nice people

Chapman University is a beautiful, modern yet small campus situated in the middle of the suburban area Old Town Orange. The campus is constantly improving itself which may mean some construction noise. Everyone on campus is super nice. Classes are small - anywhere from 10-25 people in a class. All professors hold office hours and most are available after hours via email, cell phone, text and sometimes Skype. I have never experienced a place where it felt like the instructors truly cared about your goals until I arrived here. The library is huge and has several spots for reading or plugging in laptops to work on papers. I have a campus job, which took longer than expected to get, but the department is very flexible with scheduling and is sensitive to testing schedules. People are active. Often using bicycles and skateboards to get around campus. The campus gym is also free for students. The food on campus - Einstein Bros. Bagels,, Jamba Juice, Sub Connection, Q-doba and Starbucks pricing is on par with outside eateries. There are plenty of other options in Old Town Orange which is walking distance from campus. I live off campus so parking is important. If you take a morning class - park where you going to be closest to at the end of the day for a good spot. After 10am the campus is very active and it's hard to find a spot. I can't speak about on campus living or dining halls - sorry. My biggest gripe is the price tag. Financial Aid is available and the staff is very helpful with finding financing options. I'm still going to be paying off loans later though, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

Caroline

Be patient and open minded. Don't be afraid to put yourself out there in the world because nobody else will do it for you. Stay focused and be on top of things. You will be more independent than you think, it is difficult to have no one to depend on. But that is life. Don't depend on anyone, you need to go out there yourself and make it happen. Also, don't rush into certain deicisons because the most important thing is for you to be happy. If you are not happy with what you are doing, it is not worth it. Therefore, you need to make a change and don't let anyone influence your thoughts. Be strong minded and don't let anyone put you down.

The community is small enough to have school wide events almost everyday of the week. They're always having fun events.

A person from the bay area who likes to be surrounded by a small community. And since I am in the music program, a person who enjoys classical music.

Lei

Varied between focused, friendly and helpful and another category of entitled and naive.

Everybody tells you that you're going to change, that you'll act stupid and that you might not recognize yourself over the next few years. Embrace that and welcome the change. It can be a scary thing, change, but if it's executed correctly can open up all the doors that your teachers, parents and elders have been telling you about all these years. Make sure you are a little reckless, that you do skip a few classes here and there, but also make sure you know when to stop. There is a time to have fun, a time to buckle down and a time to blur those lines and live life on the edge. Make sure, though, that you know exactly when those times are and when you need to come back to reality. The next four years will be crazy and fun and crazy fun, but remember that after the four years is up, there's a realm of "adulthood" waiting for you. It's a realm that only your self change and the crazy antics during that self change can prepare you for. Biggest words of advice from me to you... just live.

I am usually very successful at making friends, but making friends has been hard. I feel like itwas based upon my disaffiliation with sorrorities and the fact that I still live at home.

Academics is the focus on the liberal arts side.

Academics is the focus on the liberal arts side.

Say yes Kayla. Say yes to meeting new people. Say yes to going to class. Say yes to asking questions. Say yes to homework but also do not be afraid of pulling all nighters. Say yes to going to parties, but also say yes to an early night in bed with a movie and a good friend. Say yes to calling your parents at least once a week. Say yes to work. Say yes for early starts to your day and late nights with the people that have joined you for these four years. Say yes to travel. Explore the depths of what this world has to offer, you will recieve so much back in return. Give back to your community and explore your passions while doing so. Let others inspire you, and in return inspire the ones around you. Make relationships with your professors and tell them thank you every chance you get. Take risks that challenge or frighten you, this is the time when you have the least to lose. It are those risks that you will remember and define you from the inside out. Finally, let the knowledge you learn trickle from your head to your heart.

If you want to go to school for sports, you have come to the wrong school. The enthusiasm about sports team here is close to none.

Maddisen

My classmates were always eager to start up a conversation and to help those in need.

I would advise myself to take the time to relax. I would tell myself to prioritize my life with faith, family and health at the forefront. I would say not to worry about the petty obstacles in life but to set my eyes on the future knowing that all adversities will pass. I would tell myself not to be afraid of being different--to be open to being myself and accepting the person that I was instead of trying to fit in with others. I would advise myself to stray from a negative self-image and instead to stay true to my values. I would tell myself that God has a plan for me and that I don't need to worry about the future. I would tell myself to let loose sometimes, to act spontaneously and to be a kid while I had the chance. I would tell myself to not be afraid of making mistakes.

You shouldn't attend this school if you are not into the fraternity or sorority life.

Adam

My school has been a great match for me and will help me to get the career that I am interested in.

My classmates are all friendly and also enjoy my college.

Make sure you have good study habits and continue to use a study planner. Things move faster in college and you need to keep up. make usre you know hot o plan your time carefully. That is helpful in college. Learn how to aks questions so that you don't miss out on good opportunities. Be prepared with a good resume at all times so you can easily apply for jobs and internships. Learn how to play and enjoy down time. you can only study so much. Be a good friend and others will be a good friend to you. Learn how to do laundry. Learn how to check prices so that you don't spend all your salary on unnecessary things. College is an important time of your life and so you need to make sure you pick the right college. I am glad that I did that.

Natalie

My classmates at Chapman University's Dodge College of Film & Media Arts are some of the most driven and talented young people that I have ever had the chance of knowing and they continue to push and inspire me everyday to become a better filmmaker and storyteller.

In the first year of college, I can almost guarantee that you will make more mistakes and learn more about yourself than you ever thought possible. You WILL get homesick but it WILL NOT last forever. You WILL make friends no matter how lonely you feel on the first day. And I promise that you WILL survive regardless of the repetative meals in the cafeteria. But the biggest piece of advice I want to give to you, aside from encouraging you to learn from every mistake, is to seize every opportunity and try anything and everything that interests you even if it's something completely new. You could fall in love with something you never expected or you could fall out of love with something that has been a part of your life for as long as you can remember. And both are okay. College is a time for you to experiement and find just what you want to do with the rest of your life. I've heard it's unlike any other time in your life, and I definitely believe it. College is incredible. Don't let that just pass you by.

Not only is Chapman University located in sunny Southern California with only a ten minute drive to Disneyland, but it also has one of the top film schools in the nation. The film school, more commonly called Dodge, is a beautiful building full of what I believe to be some of the most talented and driven young people in the world. There are so many opportunities beginning in your freshman year to get on set and take on big roles. I can promise you that in my first year, I learned more than I ever thought possible!

Nathaniel

Chapman University has plenty of opportunities, but you will need to put in the effort to find them.

There is nothing wrong with walking in clueless about where you want to end up. Don’t be afraid to switch majors and don’t be afraid to switch back. High school lets you try on the clothes; college lets you do that too, but it also lets you buy them and wear them out of the store. Ultimately, the major you choose won’t affect the person you become. But avoid choosing a major just because it sounds like a TV show you’re currently into. Political science really isn’t anything like The West Wing. Trust me—don’t learn that one that hard way. You will get out of college what you put into it. Most every school offers internships, company tours, presentations and conventions if you take the time to look. It’s easy to walk out of a college with a piece of paper that says you were there. Be one of those that get something worthwhile out of it. Lastly, the transition between high school and college will happen while you’re busy doing other things. You’re going to have a great time. So get to it.

Most of the students are fine with coasting. They will waltz out of Chapman with a degree and nothing else. The kids who invest the extra time to find outlets, internships and professors willing to help them will graduate ready for their field of choice. Ultimately, Chapman will let you leave with a degree as long as you can afford it. What you get out of it is up to you.

We use the most current publicly available data. As such, we don't remove or edit college information. Sources for school statistics and data include the U.S. Department of Education's National Center for Education Statistics and the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System. Portions of college data include copyrighted material, which is reproduced on this website by permission of Wintergreen Orchard House, a division of Carnegie Communications. © 2009-2016 by Wintergreen Orchard House. All rights reserved.
Financial aid at this institution is only available for those who qualify.