Chapman University Top Questions

Lei

Varied between focused, friendly and helpful and another category of entitled and naive.

Maddisen

My classmates were always eager to start up a conversation and to help those in need.

My classmates are all friendly and also enjoy my college.

My classmates at Chapman University's Dodge College of Film & Media Arts are some of the most driven and talented young people that I have ever had the chance of knowing and they continue to push and inspire me everyday to become a better filmmaker and storyteller.

Reagan

My classmates at Chapman are hard-working students that are always prepared to offer a helping hand and they are well balanced in their social lives and dedication to their school work.

Cailyn

My classmates are either very stuck up or very down to earth and friendly.

Chelsey

Students at Chapman are versatile. You'll find every type of person at Chapman, from the drama kids, to the jocks, the people who love community service and the Disney lovers. Most people are friendly and open to be friends with everyone. There is an air of snobbiness with some people, but once you get to know them they are not what they appear to be. There is literally nothing missing from the Chapman student body, but it is not excessively racially diverse.

I feel a lot of them do not try hard and slack off a lot

Martin

I am surrounded by motivated and passionate students who are seeking to better themselves through hard work and determination.

Sami

A well put together group of individuals, that has learned the balence and value of the hard work associated with acedemia and the social skills necessary to make it in a global enviornment.

Paulina

My classmates are intellectual, driven students who strive to make a difference whether it's at home, on Chapman's campus, or in their work experiences.

Jimena

The students in my classes are extremely focused and determined to learn.

Honah

There is a wide variety of students at Chapman. Some are very engaged and go above and beyond what is assigned to get the full impact of the course. Some interract on a personal level with professors and look deeper into topics at hand. Some students will do the bare minimum and skate by. It depends largely on whether the class is taken for interest or simply for credit/GE.

Noelle

Fun

Chapman panthers are very school spirted and involved in thier passions. We pride our school and we are all here to become leaders in our future.

Kierstyn

Everyone at this college was a working student, many were older with families. Very diverse cultural backgrounds and diverse age growps. Serious and dedicated students.

They are friendly, everyone says hi when you walk by. It is a great environment to be in.

Gretchen

There's a broad diversity of students here from other countries, backgrounds, and religious beliefs. The school is very accepting of the diversity here and there are several clubs and organizations that cater to different religions, political views, sexual orientation, and ethnicity. Even if students aren't a particular ethnicity or sexual orientation, I've seen students join those organizations because the support the ideas behind the organization or have an interest in group. I'm in Japanese Club because I'm interested in Japanese culture, even though I'm Korean.

Dor

The students at my school are not very diverse. Black and Hispanic students would feel out of place at Chapman. Yes, different students interact with one another. Different student wear different things to class. In the dining table the students are either all in the same fraternity or sorority and they clicked during the first few weeks of school. Most of the students are from California but many are out of state as well. Some students are politically aware while others are not so much.

There are a large variety of students at Chapman. I would say most students however are social, interactive and enjoy meeting new people. On campus you will see male students wearing t -shirts and shorts and probably long boarding to class. Females either dress up casually for class or wear sports/workout clothes. One of the coolest things about Chapman is the number of clubs it offers. There are over 75 different clubs a student can join. Almost anyone can find a club that suits them. Some examples of clubs are Hawaii Club, Sailing Club, Action in Africa, Invisible Children, Christian Club, Jewish Club, Club of Republicans and much more. In the beginning of my freshman year, I tried out several different clubs to see which club I was most interested in. Each and every club was welcoming and very different!

My classmates definitely come from all over the place; typically the first question asked is "where are you from" and I've heard from local to out of state such as Arizona, Nevada, and the East Coast and out of the country, especially from Europe, Africa and Asia.

elmer

We have a little bit of everything, even if it does not seem like it.

Chapman, like I said earlier, is a very white campus, but very accepting. Chapman is a very safe environment, and has strong organizations promoting diversity, Black Student Union, Asian Pacific Student Association, Hawaiian Club, Chinese Club, Japanese, Christian Club, LGBT club, Safe space, Democrats, Republicans, Feminists, etc. Overall Chapman's students are accepting of all religions, sexual orientations, or socio-economic statuses. I think the majority of people at Chapman find people similar to them and so there is no specific group out of place people. Chapman students dress really cute when going to class, even if you are casual, you are casual cute, which I think challenges me to try and put together a nice outfit every day. People dress up some days, while others wear sweats, but for the most part everyone looks pretty put together. Many different types interact together, there are some groups of students who separate themselves, but it's only because they have decided to, not because others aren't willing to interact with them. Four tables at chapman would be 1. Studious people in the dining hall doing there homework while eating, 2. The huge group of people which have pushed together 3-4 tables together, 3. The normal group with 4-8 people just sitting together, 4. The group of 1 or 2 people who are quietly eating. At Chapman the majority of students are from southern CA or the Bay area, there are some out of state and international but not as much as those from what I listed. Many people at chapman's families are middle class financially. People at Chapman are politically aware and active. There are many liberals here, but many or in the middle. Students do not talk about how much they will earn one day.

The student body at Chapman has a very wide variety. We have students from all over the US, and especially California. Chapman also prides itself in being a globally aware university so we have a lot of foreign students as well. Everyone is accepted. In fact we have a very strong LBGTQA Club as well as many religions represented on campus. I have never seen or heard of anyone being put down because of their race, gender, or religious affiliation. The financial backgrounds vary, but do not play a huge role in students identities. There are students who are on heavy financial aid and others who are paying full tuition out of pocket. Chapman does do a great job in offering outstanding financial aid to students who need it though as well as on campus job opportunities. Almost all of the students at Chapman are heavily involved with a variety of things on campus. It is not unusual to meet someone who is in a sorority, president of their sustainability club, in the honors fraternity, and a tour guide on campus as well as having an internship and paid job on the side. Students really get involved with many things. Its like going to school with thousands of well-rounded people. Students do tend to get very dressed up for class on a regular basis. everyone always looks so well put together which can be intimidating at first. However it really isn't as bad as it may seem after awhile. Students have friends in a bunch of different groups and hang out with a variety of people. They are intelligent too and talk about worldly problems even outside of the classroom.

I would love to say that our school is varied racially, ethnically, religiously, and financially. It is true that Chapman does have students all across the board, but put us all together, and we would not fit under a normal bell curve. The majority of Chapman's students are white, from Southern California, are of a Christian denomination, straight, Republican, and wealthy. However, this does not mean that someone who does not fit this cookie cutter model would not fit in here. There are groups such as LGBT, the Black Student Union, and other multiracial clubs. Chapman does it's best to try to find a club or organization that is best for everyone, but sometimes people fall through the cracks. I do feel the need to point out that a person not willing to get involved may not see Chapman as their ideal match for a college. If someone is shy and hopes to simply make friends in class, they may struggle. The great majority of Chapman is involved on campus in some way or another, and in order to be a leader, students must work hard and stand out a little bit.

My classmates are inquisitive and intelligent, and in the two weeks that I've been at Chapman I am constantly amazed at the level of discussion held in my courses.

My classmates are tenacious, ready to challenge themselves and others, motivated, determined, amiable, intelligent, attractive, healthy, encouraging, well-rounded, open to new ideas, accepting of others and an incredible cohort.

The students that go to Chapman are open, welcoming students that are intelligent, well-rounded individuals who are interested in everything around them.

Candis

My classmates in general were very attenative and hard working. Most people were willing to help out evenif you didn't really know them. This was very refreshing.

Lara

A mix of the good, the bad, and the ugly; they're diverse and interesting.

Chaz

There is a wide variety of students. My classmates do not judge others, but rather accept people as the way they are. The classes are small and thereore we all have a chance to get to know eachother.

Enjoyable, not just with interaction with others, but to learn from and be inspired by.

Margo

My classmates are determined to succeed, smart, friendly, and very willing to help others succeed with them in an academically fair manner.

My classmates are eagar to learn and willing to help others.

Most of my classmates are wealthy and do not need to hold a job. They do not really care about acheiving high grades, but simply do what they need to get by.

Cortney

I am very involved in the LGBTQIA community here at Chapman and sadly my perspective is very unique, as there is only a few of us who are. There is a community here, although it is very small and relatively quiet. There is no overt animosity towards the Queer community and at the same time there is no outward exclamation of its presence. We do not have a resource center for LGBTQI students nor do we have a resource center for anything else. We did however this year get our Associated Students to fund most of our Pride Week activities and I believe that with our efforts more of a voice has emerged! We had the comedian ANT come and perform as well as organized a silent candle light vigil in remembrance of the Stonewall riots! Not only that but we had 200 students participate in our Day of Silence on campus. We are making progress here at Chapman but there is still a ways to go.

KJ

From my experience, students with self-confidence are usually the ones who thrive at Chapman. If you're one who does not want to be called on in class, who wants to disappear into the crowd or who does not like being noticed, this place is not for you. People will notice you walking around every day, they will remember what you say in class and they will remember what you did at that party on Saturday night. There is a pattern to how things work at Chapman and, if you break the mold, people notice. Most students are from California, but there is also a large portion from Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Hawaii and Arizona. Students here are ambitious and are high achievers -- the academic life here is competitive, but it's unspoken. Students here want to do well in life it's noticeable. Almost everyone is involved in some sort of extracurricular activity.

Chapman has a very welcoming student body. Really anyone can come to this campus and feel at home. The people are incredibly nice and try to get to know everyone before they start judging. There are plenty of clubs that welcome diversity to our campus and encourage more interaction. Like I said people are from all over the world, but if I were to say where the majority of people are from it would be California, Oregon, Washington, and Colorado. We also have a decently sized demographic from Hawaii. Politically I feel Chapman is pretty much split but at the same time we respect each others opinions and views. I like Chapman because it doesn't seem like someone is going to start judging you based off of what you wear, but at the same time it may be because most people are very laid back and not worried about what you look like.

I was nervous to come to Orange County for school because I had watched The O.C. and knew that wasn't the lifestyle for me. When I got here, I found that most people are really nice and interested in getting to know others. I also joined a sorority, which is the best decision I made because I was able to make friends with a ton of girls who had interests similar to mine. I would like to see Chapman become more diverse in the future, although I know it is definitely working towards that. We have lots of out-of-state students and international students, so we have a variety of perspectives on campus. Students are very nice here, so even if you feel like you won't fit in with how you envision Chapman students, you will soon find a niche of people you get along with. I also know there's a stereotype of all the students being really wealthy. Chapman is a private school, so it is pretty expensive. However, I know I wouldn't be here without financial aid, and more often than not, I find that other students are in the same situation.

Brad

Chapman was founded by Jesuits, so there's plenty of religious life on campus including a chapel. But I never felt uncomfortable not being religious. Religion doesn't find its way into the curriculum. Chapman students run the gamut of ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds, but I'd say the majority are white and middle to upper class. Students are politically aware and left leaning, as you'll find on most campuses, but there are conservative groups as well.

Chapman is a very open campus. There's an organization for pretty much any interest you have. And if they don't have a group yet, feel free to start one up. There's always something going on throughout the day at Chapman whether it's an International Food Festival, Greek Week activities, or the fun and festivities of Spring Sizzle. Chapman provides that great balance of extracurricular and academic life.

M

The majority of Chapman students are from California, and a large chunk of that are SoCal kids. But the film school brings in a lot of out-of-staters. Most students dress casually, but you've also got your bleach-blonde girls who wear heels and dresses to class and carry their dogs in purses (no seriously, I've seen people bring their dogs to class before). Being the O.C., you deal with more kids born with a silver spoon in your mouth than you might at other schools, but Chapman is also somewhat of a bubble from the spray-tanned world surrounding it. The campus definitely leans more to the left politically, but the Republican group is active enough that there is always controversy.

People at Chapman are willing to work hard to get what they want, and much as they work hard, they also play hard.

unique and diverse

My classmates are very helpful in studying together, answering each others' questions, and sharing ideas. It's not uncommon to know the names of everyone in your class which makes discussions during class more productive because there is a greater sense ease while publicly speaking amongst your classmates.

Travis

My classmates are diverse and accepting. Greek Life is big on this campus. We have a very good Greek system.

Erienne

Most Chapman students are priviledged and are more interested in their sororities or fraternities than their education. They see college as an extra four years to party and drink their life away while Mommy and Daddy pay the bills.