Chapman University Top Questions

Chelsey

I know all my professors first and last names, probably their kids names, and their pets names. It is really wonderful to be friends with your teachers. Only a few teachers I was not fond of. The communications department is full of people, but the teachers take the time to talk to each and every student and become friendly with them.

Chapman has about 5,000 undergrads so professors know your name. My favorite class was Economic Development. The professor treated us like adults who were about the enter the work force in a couple months. Instead of tests, we had "labs" and "opportunities to succeed" where we collaborated on assignments in small groups. Class participation is common and students initiate intellectual conversations. Topics often include social awareness groups such as Invisible Children and entrepreneurial ideas. Like y previous school, the learning is geared towards learning for its own sake. Chapman, however, has a database called Panther Connect that helps connect recent grads to various jobs or internship opportunities.

I love the system at our school and I think it's because it's a small school. You are a name, not just a number here. My favorite classes are ones that pertain to my major (athletic training). I love college because for the most part, you get to choose the classes and subjects you want to take!

Gretchen

Professors do know you by name here at Chapman. They like to establish strong professor – student relationships by engaging with the student academically and in some cases outside of their studies. I've had some professors sit down with students over coffee or others go to dinner with their professors. Chapman requires students to either take classes in global history/studies or travel abroad. It's great having a chance to study for a month, a semester, or a year at another university in a foreign country to immerse oneself in the culture. I've been able to study in Florence, Venice, and Rome in a travel course during Interterm (January break where students can take a class to get ahead or stay at home to relax). The library is usually packed with students, which indicates the importance studying is to the majority of campus.

Dor

Yes, Professors know my name. My favorite class is chemistry with Dr. Schwartz. She is an overall great teacher and she really gets the material through. She knows more than 75{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of all the kids in the 120 person class. Yes, class participation is common in all of my classes. Students don't really have intellectual conversations outside of the classroom. Students here are more excited to leave class and hang out with friends. Some students are competitive while others don't really care. I would say generally not competitive. I do not spend time with professors outside of class. I think the school overall could do better academically. The school itself is not very selective so thats where its struggling. Education is not really geared toward getting a job.

Due to the smaller class sizes, Chapman has very personalized academics. Most of the professors are reasonable graders and are available for help outside of class. Chapman also offers a tutoring service that is very helpful. The unfortunate thing is that most of the professors take required daily attendance that counts for participation credit. In some of my classes, I could drop a full letter grade if I missed 2 classes in the semester.

Lorraine

The amazing thing about this school is that the administration focuses on making the classrooms more personal. All the professors I've had have made an effort to learn my name and the names of my classmates. My favorite course so far has been Mass Communication with Professor Levy. He made the material fun and interesting and it did not take away from my learning the information. My least favorite course was Intro to Statistics. Thankfully, I dropped it before it could harm my grade, but the material did not fit my way to learning. I found that students really enjoy their classes as much as I have. My friends and I end up getting into intellectual conversations outside the classroom all the time! The most unique class I've taken so far is Intro to Ethics. The material is difficult, but very interesting at the same time. Professor Friedric really makes you think about the information. I feel like the school's academic requirements are understandable and easy to meet. They don't take away from the rest of your college plan and they are important to master. The education at this school is definitely geared toward getting a job because all students are required to have an internship before they graduate. This ensures that students are passionate about the field they're studying and that they start making connections and working in that field as soon as possible.

I love my classes at Chapman. Almost all my professors know my name. My professors are ALWAYS willing to help and create extra office hours for my individual needs. I have had professors that have hosted outside of the classroom events and other events that go above and beyond the expected outreach from a professor. Most students study every day. However, the students definitely create their own social lives outside the classroom. Being social and academics are both have important to the students at Chapman. My favorite class I have taken at Chapman was my human nutrition class. The professor strongly believed that her classroom was just as much ours as it was hers. She was very interactive with her students and connected on a personal level to each and every student. Her main goal was for us to truly understand how human nutrition works and to be able to apply our knowledge to change our life style. She definitely made an impact on my view of human health. I think the students at Chapman are very driven. They are competitive in a health manner, but not so competitive that you feel as though you are fighting against each other. There is a common understanding among the students that education is very important and that we all must help each other to improve each others learning.

elmer

Chapman University probably has one of the best programs in the nation.

elmer

Chapman University probably has one of the best programs in the nation. Not only are class size average from 15-25 students, but the majority of students get to know their professor and their peers. Furthermore, faculty are available for extra help and a lot of them serve as personal mentors to better align a student with what he/she wants to do in life. I am personally a Computer Information Systems and Business Administration Major, so I do get to see a wide variety of teachers and students I can confidently say that I love everything about Chapman University. Academic requirements get tougher every year, not only 90{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the faculty body have their Ph.Ds but since is such a small class, they have a target GPA as a class and it is sometimes difficult to meet because of the quality of students and the size of the class. However, what I like the most is the wide variety of classes taught about chapman. My favorite classes are the business classes, since the majority of teachers are real life entrepreneurs and you get to see how they have handled their business in the real world. Not only that, but a lot of them dedicate a lot of time to the students to provide them with internships or opportunities that will help them to succeed in the future.

elmer

elmer

All of my professors have known my name at Chapman except one, which I find truly remarkable. My favorite class would have to be Intro to Peace Studies, the class was taught by an amazing teacher, I think I learned the most in that class, and it was fun at the same time. The class was very discussion based, which was really nice. My least favorite class Was Biology, we just did a bunch of classifications and memorization and I struggled so much in that class. The lecture teacher was so boring but the lab teacher was still nice, just a difficult grader. The amount of studying students do is all dependent on what classes they are taking. I have had easy semesters with little studying and work, and then I have had semesters where I am study 24/7 get no sleep and feel like I'm dying. It all depends on how many classes you have (12 credits will be fairly easy, 18 credits, you may be studying a lot more). Class participation is almost mandatory in every class. Students do have intellectual conversations outside of class, the discussion does not end at the classroom. Students are somewhat competitive, but I feel like they are more supportive of each other than competitive. The most unique class I have taken is master-class voice, we performed songs and gave each other feedback, it helped with performance, and getting more comfortable in front of others. I am a Peace Studies major, with double majors in Environmental Science and Sociology. Peace Studies is like Political Science focusing on conflict resolution, I love all of the classes and the program is flexible, Environmental Studies minor is multidisciplinary and allows one to study environmental issues without the science, and Sociology is a great department with a wide assortment of classes. I believe that Chapman should continue on the path of letting less students in and being more selective, in the last couple years they have received more applications, which raises the bar higher to those who are accepted. I think the academic requirements to get in, and within the chosen major is really good. Our General Education courses often double count within majors, they also don't require as much compared to state schools, which is nice to be able to focus on your major. I do occasionally get together with professors outside of class for events on campus, or to discuss something. This education is geared towards getting a job, Chapman prepares you very well with internships and job opportunities.

IF you want a personalized education then that is what you are going to get here at Chapman! I have truly enjoyed all of the classes I have taken here so far. They have a wide variety of courses to take and allow you room to take random courses that don't relate to your major. I'm not a science fan but I had to take a science course to fulfill my GE. Chapman offers biology, chemistry, environmental science, forensics, food and nutrition, human anatomy, and a few more so you don't have to take a boring science class. I recently just declared a Communications major and I am a sophomore, but I am still expected to graduate in four years! I was able to take a large variety of classes while I was Undeclared such as Broadcast News, Sociology of Family and Marriage, Self Defense for Women, and Disney: Gender Race and Religion just to name a few. Chapman is very good about letting you explore your interests and take a wide variety of classes. The professors have been wonderful as well. A few of them I am actually on a first name basis with! They genuinely care about your well being and want you to succeed in their classes. They will work with you until you understand the course material. Yes, some have not gotten such high reviews, but I think every university has those not-so-great professors. It is not unusual to see professors getting coffee with their students discussing topics previously covered in class. Classes are challenging and you can't just skim by. However there is plenty of help and if you stay on top of your work you will totally fine. Student are always working together in the library to help each other understand the material and class participation is great. Professors want you to discuss your views and opinions of things.

My favorite class was called Intro to Creative Writing and I took it my sophomore year. I entered the room and saw 10 desks in a circle. That was all we needed, because the class only had 10 students. In this class, I truly felt that the teacher cared about my learning experience. Everyone participated, knew each other's names, and enjoyed coming to class each week. I received strong, varied feedback on all of my assignments, because the professor cared about our work and had time to give us her opinions. Something I like about Chapman is how most people are truly there to learn. It sounds nerdy, but I do love to learn and enjoy new experiences and facts. I love that I can continue a conversation with a classmate even after the class period ends, and how almost everyone is ready and willing to meet up for a study group on the weekend before a big test. And if we need help, we know our professors are only an e-mail away, and are happy to help us with any questions we have. I do dislike a few of Chapman's professors, however. While most are there to help their students, some seem like they do not care, and I wonder what they are doing there. Some simply lecture every day, but then post their powerpoint online, and students wonder why they wasted their time going to class. I have had a few professors with accents, and was forced to drop those classes simply because I know I cannot learn if I cannot understand what a person is lecturing about.

Again, while classes are small, it is likely every professor will know your name. Apart from my acting classes (which are in itself some of the best in the country), my favorite ones are the screenwriting classes in which everyone participates to both give and receive invaluable information for each other. There are many students who are passionate about their majors and many who are not. The level of stimulation from intellectual conversations is varied, though if you want to, you can find yourself gravitating to the students who share the same amount of passion as yourself, and if not, then you know you are the most passionate and a step or two ahead. Professors will always be there to share your passion when other students' just are not enough. I am always grateful of Chapman's general academic requirements, as I feel it has shaped me into a more scholarly individual. Last but not least, for my major especially, I feel Chapman spends a great deal of time teaching the craft the best they can, but also preparing a student for the real world and getting a job -- though they can only go so far. Character comes from within regarding that department, and only so many students will strive to achieve a job after school.

Cortney

As a requirement in my catalogue year I had to take a lab science (which students no longer have to take...unless they are science majors). My friends and I signed up for chemistry 140 as it was the only class which fit into all of our different schedules (which includes a 4 hour lab, so having friends in the class is a must!). On the first day of class the teacher announced that this was a class intended for chemistry majors and if we were not chemistry majors we should probably drop. I am a double major in theatre performance and communication studies—chemistry is not something I use on a daily basis. I most definitely did not want to continue taking this class; however I couldn’t foresee any other semester I could take a lab science with my friends…so we stuck it out. It was the hardest class I have ever taken and the only way I passed was because of the frequent trips to my professor and lab professor’s office hours, weekend study sessions with my professor, and many hours of work on my own. I believe that if I had been in a class of 200 I would have failed, but because of the personalized education offered here I got a B instead. I really enjoy the fact that in all the classes I’ve taken each teacher has learned my name and at least tried to get to know me in some capacity.

KJ

I am most proud to go to Chapman because of our academic programs. Professors absolutely know your name. Some of my favorite classes have been classes I took on a whim, such as religion or politics, because the professors always have an interesting way of helping you learn information that may be completely foreign to you. Depending on the class, class participation can fluctuate. In most classes, I've found that there are always the same 5 or so people who participate in conversation. Rarely do teachers call you out individually. It is common for teachers to give weekly quizzes to monitor your progress in the class. I have found that a class can either be really intense, in which there are weekly quizzes and papers, or it can be an "on your own" kind of class in which it's your responsibility to make sure you keep up with the reading for the final. I am a big fan of professors' office hours. Chapman requires that professors have a specific amount of office hours a week. This really benefits students because they have a chance to get individual attention from professors. Classes are NEVER taught by TAs and the majority of the faculty here has earned terminal degrees. For the most part, Chapman really prepares you for the working world. Though, I would like to have more classes on how to land jobs, interview and write resumes. Though there are not classes on this, there are many resources on campus for students to take advantage of, such as resume critiques, job fairs and speakers from local successful companies. Almost every major requires that students have an internship at some point during their college career which allows students to get experience in their desired field before they graduate. Each student makes their academic life what they want it to be. That is the beauty of Chapman: they allow you to design your own schedule and life. They do not control you much in that regard and allow you to explore many different possibilities. It's a small school, but teachers don't tell you to do your homework -- you either do the extra reading or fail. Classes are challenging and most of the teachers I've had have been interesting and stimulating. In addition to professors, Chapman brings many speakers to school. Maya Angelou, Leon Leyson, Elie Weisel, Colin Powell and Mitch Alborn (Tuesdays with Morrie) have all spoken at Chapman.

Chapman's academic life really benefits the student. Class sizes are small, usually around 25 sometimes more sometimes less. If you go to class every professor will know your name. Many times they will look to help you grow as a person as well. They will help with getting you internships if your interested too. My favorite class was my painting class. Lots of free time and a very flexible class. Other than that I also really enjoyed my Strategic Marketing class. The class was mostly based off of participation and that was great because you actually got involved in the class instead of falling asleep. It also made you think critically instead of memorizing something. I majored in marketing and also minored in art and both departments were good. All the professors want to see you succeed and are always willing to lend you help when you are in need. The requirements for the school are easily achievable. Just going abroad for a semester will take care of a bunch of units you would have to take otherwise. Also now if you decide to minor in something more of your GE credits are no longer required. Chapman really leaves it up to the student to decide how much you want out of your education. If you want to double major you can do that in 4 years. If you want to have a job right out of college or even during college that can work to. It just all depends on how much effort you put forth and whether or not you use the facilities and resources that are at your disposal.

I absolutely love my major, PR and Advertising. I like that I learn about business and express my creative side. Since our classes are so small, there is a lot of class participation. In fact, some of my classes have been fully focused on student comments. My favorite class from last semester was Principles of Advertising with Cory O'Connor. He is hilarious and I learned a lot based on debates we had in class and student experiences and comments. He always made us think about important topics in a fun way. This was an 8:30 am class, which says a lot. Another class that is great is Public Speaking. This teacher is amazing and it is good to just get up in front of an audience and speak. Everyone loves the class. All the professors learn your name and can meet with you outside of class for any questions you have. Some will even have their office hours at local restaurants and you can have breakfast with them! I like Chapman's academic requirements because you can take your major classes right away. You can also take classes outside of your major for GE's and for electives. This is how I decided upon my major. You can get involved right away and have the opportunity to figure out what you really want to do.

Brad

Classes at Chapman are more intimate than you'd find at bigger universities. It's not as easy to be anonymous. On the upside you'll have more access to teachers and generally learn more. Chapman students are smart and industrious without being stuffy. There's still room for some fun. Academic requirements are higher than you'll find at some other schools. So you'll have to take more general education classes at higher levels, but you'll get a better all around education.

The professors are excellent at Chapman. Since you're in a class with a dozen or so people it doesn't take long to get the know the professors and have them there to help you at any time possible. You don't run into the problem of having to deal with TAs, you really establish a lasting relationship with professors from day one. The journalism department is rigorous. Of course, the best experience you'll ever get is working for the campus newspaper, The Panther.

M

Chapman might be known for the film school, but all of their departments are top notch with professors who are active and respected in their fields. Classes at Chapman are generally small and personal - the only real lecture classes are the intro film classes and a couple GEs. You get to know the professors in your major very well, so make a good impression because those are your letter of recommendations right there. In most classes you can't get away with not participating because the classes are 10-20 students. Intro classes are generally piece of cake, but when you really get into your major you will be pushed. Chapman is a liberal arts education, but you don't get bogged down with GEs - just enough to give you a taste of what the different departments have to offer. The journalism department emphasizes hands-on experience; professors are either previous professional journalists or still in the field, so they know what they're talking about too. The department is working closely with the O.C. Register and has several professors from the L.A. Times. If you make use of the connections, you will graduate with clips from local papers as well as the student newspaper. Working with The Panther student newspaper is an intense love-hate relationship. Every Friday night when you're trying to meet a deadline and your friends are out partying, you will be cursing the day you walked into the 210 relationship; but if the newsroom is for you, you will find yourself inexplicably signing up for another semester of torture. The Honors program is offered to students who have proved themselves academically in high school; many entering students turn down this offer when they are admitted. This is a mistake. You graduate with a minor in Honors, which looks good, but even better is along the way you get to take some of the most interesting classes available at Chapman. Most of these classes will also double-count for GEs. The classes are almost entirely discussion based, and most of the honors professors teach by the idea that you've done the hard work in high school, now you get to have fun. In the class In Search of Relationships, for instance, we looked into why people love and examined our own personal relationships and how they have impacted our lives. One of my homework assignments for In Search of Self was to "be with a tree."