Chapman University

« See more reviews of Chapman University

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

One of the biggest stereotypes about Chapman University is that it is a "rich" and "clicky" school. First of all, I would like to say I do not agree with either of these stereotypes. Due to Chapman's prestigious location in Orange County, California, it is believed that most students come from families with money. However, this is not the case. I know a very large group of students that are on financial aid and can not afford to take advantage of all of the school's aspects due to financial problems. I would say almost everyone I know is on some sort of financial aid. Although this is true, just like any school or group of people, there are students that are wealthy. However, it is definitely not the majority and does not affect the feel of the school. I also do not believe that Chapman is a "clicky" school. Some people think that this is the case because of our small size, but I actually feel it is the opposite of "clicky". Most people have several friend groups. Students in greek life associate with other students that are involved in sports and different majors and vice versa. I love that my school is not single minded.

When i first heard about Chapman and where it was located, I formed some stereotypes. Orange County is known for its stuck-up, rich kids going to school on their parents' money and therefore not caring how they do. Of course there are a few of these at Chapman, but that is not the case for most. Most of the school is on scholarship, and we all need to work hard to keep our financial aid. Also, because Chapman is about 40% Greek, we have gained the stereotype of being dumb sorority girls and crazy frat boys who only want to party. This is also not true. Our Greek life is shockingly and refreshingly different. Our chapters share a strong bond and have a higher GPA than Chapman's general student population. We are hard workers who love being involved and being leaders on campus. Greek life is an important part of Chapman's campus, but becoming Greek is not a necessity to have an amazing life at Chapman.

Chapman is commonly portrayed to be full of rich stuck up kids, however I have found that to be the complete opposite. When I toured Chapman back in Fall 2009 when I was on the college hunt, I was immediately attracted to the campus because I noticed all the students walking past me were happy. They seemed excited to be a part of the Chapman community and eager to learn! All of the students I met that day were very friendly and have been ever since. Also, over 80% of the student body is on some type of financial aid and scholarships while attending Chapman, so it is definitely not pretentious. Chapman is a beautiful school and the students who go there are really friendly and genuinely care about getting a higher education

Located in Orange County, Chapman is considered a small, glamorous school with jocks and an attractive student body. Coming from the east coast, it seems as though some students have a personality that's always alive and well. Its surprising to see how few students have bad or "off" days, as it appears they are always happy and upbeat. Greek life is very important to most students at Chapman. I am one of the few who aren't in a sorority or fraternity. Greek life, for the most part, is a positive part about the school. The frats and sororities are focused on development of the university and providing social outings for students.

The stereotypes of Chapman University are probably rich spoiled white kids. I would have to disagree with this, although there may be some people who fit in with this stereotype it is a small amount of people. Many people at Chapman are on scholarships or financial aid. I would have to agree that the majority of Chapman's students are white, not much diversity, but it is getting better. Another thing is almost everyone is super friendly at Chapman, especially within the first couple weeks of class. The classes are mostly close-kint allowing for classes too be more fun.

Since Chapman is best known for its superb Film program, I feel the stereotype is that the school is focused mainly on Film which in turn means more Film students than other majors. While there are thousands who have attended and graduated from the Film school, Chapman has reputable programs in Music, Business, Graphic Design, and Law. There are large numbers of students who are studying in majors and minors other than Film.

The common stereotype is that all Chapman students are rich and stuck up; however, I have found this to be entirely untrue. While you may still find the wealthy stuck up kid around campus, most of the kids, wealthy or not, are down to earth and respectful.

The stereotype is that we are all rich and are really smart. I agree that most of us are smart because it is a challenging school to get into but we are not all rich and stuck up. Majority of us are on scholarships, grants,and loans

A film major who is rich. I believe that the stereotype is somewhat true but not all the time. There are plenty of very rich kids and many not so rich. Also, Chapman does not have much diversity.

Rich suburban white kids that are very shallow and entitled.