Chapman University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Chapman University

Shelby

The school itself is very pretty and clean, and the staff are very helpful too. Students are cool people. The campus food is pretty good, I recommend getting tater tots. The nearby stores are expensive, but offer some pretty cool things to sell. The restaurants around are delicious.

Jenny

Thought this would be an awesome place but it was not. The beautiful main part of campus is all a facade. Administration and housing does not care about students like a private school should. The dorm apartments are atrociously bad, like low-income housing, dirty and old. If you have any issues with housing, it falls on deaf ears, you are not allowed to transfer, they do everything they can to wait till you give up and suffer on your own. The RAs and RDs are there just for the free housing, they are incompetent. This year, they didn't tell students that they were 60 rooms short in the dorms. They didn't tell them until 3 weeks before the start of school! So everyone is scrambling to find a place off campus to live. Again, they don't care. Class registration is terrible, classes become full. I know many unhappy students and many who have left or are planning to leave. The immaculate campus is a head-fake. This school is too small, it's like a fishbowl, high school all over again. And it's not diverse. Sure, there is diversity, but these are mainly SoCal people and they hang with their own. You will see diversity but there is no mixing of the students. It's a very white college and not worth the money at all. If you are white and can join Greek, you'll have fun. I am white, but not interested in Greek. Therefore, I am looking to leave.

Brissette

I will be starting my journey at Chapman in a few weeks and I could not be more excited. My Uncle graduated in 2015 and I visited him many times prior to being accepted. When I would go to see him I just felt this overwhelming sense of happiness, love, and support from the students and faculty on campus. One of my favorite things about the school is the fact that their student to faculty ratio is so small. It really makes me feel that the professor's put in work to know and help their students anyway they can.

Ginger

While it has many resources, it is still lacking in its diversity and its inclusion. The school has a wide array of good free events, but there is a slight lack of unity in how the students are reached out to and treated. Administration tends to get overloaded because of their sheer ambition to add more students every year, but otherwise it runs rather smoothly.

Ellie

Overall, it is a great school. Sports are nothing too exciting but the greek life is AMAZING. we always joke that we are D3 in sports but D1 in greek life. I highly recommend joining it because there is so much going on. If you don't think it is for you, there are tons of other ways to get involved on campus that make Chapman a great place for everyone.

Jordan

Overall, attending school at Chapman is a dream. The class options are great (although your first year... good luck getting your top choice classes), the teachers are phenomenal, and the student body is united and supportive. There are so many clubs and groups to get involved in too! The only downfall is the price. Chapman is grossly expensive, and don't give out the best need based. If you get good grades in high school you could come here for cheap! But if not, enjoy the loans like me.

Anne

Chapman University is a very accepting and open-minded campus. While there are many Californian students, there are still a decent amount of individuals from various states and even international. Teachers are always available for help outside of class and the Career Development Center ensures that students have the opportunity to find jobs and network with companies in the area. Chapman students are friendly; they want people to feel included in everything. The chefs in the cafeteria rotate the menu every meal, so the food is fresh and new every day. Location wise, Orange is located between the ocean and the mountains, so you can travel east or west and be sure to find something interesting. In addition, the city is about 45 south from LA, so businesses often come looking for students to fulfill jobs and internships.

Lindsey

The average student at Chapman University is a white male or female (but there are more females), probably a film student or a business student, with a privileged upbringing. I am a wealthy white female but I do wish there was more diversity, particularly of thought. It’s true there is a lot of shallowness at the school but I have been able to meet a few amazing people I click with. I have really enjoyed going to clubs, there are so many options. I'm a music major and I honestly dislike most of the people in my major and the superiority complex vibe I get from most of them but that is probably something I would run into at a lot of music schools. I am on a scholarship but I probably could've gone to a cheaper school and had a good experience. Chapman is not cheap so my advice would be if there is a cheaper place you are debating on, go there. Overall there are things I like and dislike about Chapman but I know there is no perfect place (or maybe there is and I need to transfer!)

Jaclyn

I am going into my second year at Chapman University and I can't wait! Chapman has provided me with nurturing professors as well as students and peers easy to connect with and form positive relationships. Chapman University's Dodge College of Film and Media Arts provides many events and guest speakers pertaining to our majors which helps me feel immersed in the industry. The film school also provides top notch facilities to create excellent work. I can say I am extremely proud to attend such a wonderful university.

Hunter

I LOVE it!! I'm a freshman in the film school. I've made great friends, my classes are interesting, and there is so much to do both on campus and off -- Disneyland is only 10 minutes away, after all, and this IS SoCal so there are always the beaches!

Gina

Chapman University is a beautiful, modern yet small campus situated in the middle of the suburban area Old Town Orange. The campus is constantly improving itself which may mean some construction noise. Everyone on campus is super nice. Classes are small - anywhere from 10-25 people in a class. All professors hold office hours and most are available after hours via email, cell phone, text and sometimes Skype. I have never experienced a place where it felt like the instructors truly cared about your goals until I arrived here. The library is huge and has several spots for reading or plugging in laptops to work on papers. I have a campus job, which took longer than expected to get, but the department is very flexible with scheduling and is sensitive to testing schedules. People are active. Often using bicycles and skateboards to get around campus. The campus gym is also free for students. The food on campus - Einstein Bros. Bagels,, Jamba Juice, Sub Connection, Q-doba and Starbucks pricing is on par with outside eateries. There are plenty of other options in Old Town Orange which is walking distance from campus. I live off campus so parking is important. If you take a morning class - park where you going to be closest to at the end of the day for a good spot. After 10am the campus is very active and it's hard to find a spot. I can't speak about on campus living or dining halls - sorry. My biggest gripe is the price tag. Financial Aid is available and the staff is very helpful with finding financing options. I'm still going to be paying off loans later though, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

Katheryne

Chapman is a great university with great class sizes and tons of clubs to get involved. Old Town Orange is a short walk away with the outlets, Disney and the beach being a short car drive away. Chapman is also known for its Film and Business programs and regularly invites well known guest speakers. I would definitely recommend attending if you want a personalized learning experience.

Caitlin

I love Chapman! I definitely feel at home here. The classes and professors are my favorite part. My professors really care about making sure I succeed in the classroom and will do anything to help me throughout my college career. The campus is beautiful and always clean. The general location is perfect with a lot of shops, restaurants, and stores near by. Long story short, I love my school and I am proud to be a Chapman Panther.

Mary

I loved the teachers. However, I wasn't aware the Psychology program wasn't CACREP accredited until I had three classes left. Unfortunately, this made obtaining a Ph.D. difficult because I had to take 11 extra Masters courses to make up for it or change my platform. Just be sure your getting all the appropriate accreditations and don't just ask the school. They will inform you that they are accredited, which they are but not in any specialization.

Rita

It is a really expensive school and it does not offer a lot of financial or job search help, even if a student goes above and beyond. Professors, however, are great and very friendly. They are always available for office hours and make sure you understand the material. Parking after 12pm on a weekday is very hard to find.

Jill

Chapman University is a wonderful institution that is committed to personalized education. Students are always supported and encouraged by their peers, faculty, and staff to seek out whatever opportunity they see. While this is a medium sized school, you receive the attention and resources of a small university as you will rarely wait in line at the registrar or business office. I have loved every minute of my experience thus far at this university and can't wait to spend a few more years here.

vanessa

Chapman University is a great school to be in. Outstanding faculty members. They are very helpful and friendly. I would recommend this school to people who are looking for private schools.

Virginia

Chapman University is a small school, with a larger school feel, yet still allows for a family atmosphere. It has a variety of offerings academically, socially, and athletically. While it is not the perfect university for everyone, it strives to be by fostering a diverse, inclusive community. Overall, it is an excellent university that focuses on the success of their students.

Chrysenthia

Chapman University has an extremely beautiful campus. I love seeing all the people excited to be there and to learn and just engaging with each other so excitedly. I haven't begun classes yet because I am an incoming freshman but I spoke with a student one on one and I just became more excited to attend the school. 10/10

Erandi

My first year at Chapman was a very good experience. Although there isn't much diversity within the students, everyone is very kind and Chapman provides a positive, safe, and healthy environment to learn and live in. The teachers are all very accessible, and the small class sizes also allows one to excel further in the class. The facilities themselves are very nice and new, very clean as well. Chapman provides many ways to get involved outside of normal lectures, and these extracurriculars provide chances to meet new people. The area around Chapman is also very nice. Most of the area surrounding the campus is neighboorhoods, with close stores and food places to accomodate a student's needs. Overall, Chapman University provides a great college experience.

Maria

I love this school from processors to people to campus. I feel very safe and I feel that in my opinion I am able to contact professors any time and is easy getting along with students in the same class. Some things that might lower the rating would be that there are classrooms that are far so at night they might be a hassle.

Athena

Though I am very new to Chapman, I find it t be a beautiful and prestigious campus. I feel extremely safe while I am there, and proud to be a Chapman student as well. Our post-baccalaureate professors hold us to a high academic and professional standard that will make us great candidates for Masters programs. This school has a wide variety of opportunity to offer, and esteemed professors to learn from. I am proud to attend Chapman and I expect to graduate with a broadened knowledge of Communication Disorders and educated perspective on academia.

Haylie

The professors are typically great and love what they teach. The adjunct professors I have experienced didn't understand how to teach students in depth and seem to assume we understand everything they say. The campus is absolutely gorgeous, warm and welcoming. The film school is very new and deserves its top 10 ranking. The cafeteria typically has decent food and a variety of options. There is a vegan area, but sometimes it's difficult to find gluten-free or dairy-free food. The freshman housing is very crammed, and can be unpleasant if you don't get along with your roommates, but Chapman tries its best to pair you with compatible people. For housing after freshman year, you really need to do your research on what the amenities are in each building. It may say online that one has a kitchen, but in reality it is just a large sink, countertop, and a microwave. This college is expensive to attend but scholarships from the school and outside sources will help tremendously. The payment methods are confusing as well and there are lots of hidden late fees in the fine print. Overall this is a fantastic school, but no school is perfect.

Stephen

Chapman has a wealth of knowledge behind it. It's not always easy finding that wealth, however. While there are many inspiring and optimistic professors that help guide you through your time here as a young adult, there are just as many that are here to get a paycheck. As long as you take control of your education, find a peer group that you feel comfortable in, and avoid as much of the cafeteria food as you can, you'll have a good time at Chapman University.

Lola

The only reason I'm staying at Chapman is because of the financial aid. I tried to transfer and the other schools wouldn't give me aid, so looks like I'll be here for another 3 years. Chapman really tries, but they just miss the mark in a lot of areas. They overcommit for housing and classes, and most of the time students have trouble getting into their major requirements because the classes are full and the university does nothing about it. The only thing Chapman cares about is Dodge and the business school, so if you're in one of those, you'll be spoiled.

Kailee

Chapman University is a great school with a lot to offer. To begin with, the campus is stellar. Not only is the campus itself beautiful, but the surrounding area is ideal and safe. At Chapman, there is all different types of activities and programs to be a part of, in addition to Greek Life (which I am not a part of, but have heard good things about). Additionally, class sizes are fairly small, which facilitates a really intimate learning environment. The professors I've taken class from all have great availability, as well as genuine care for their students and their progress. Overall, Chapman University is a fantastic school.

Mariam

Chapman is a great school for film/television people and boasts an impressive humanities department as well. The school is not, however, diverse in any way and can feel isolating to students of color, especially in the surrounding area of very conservative Old Towne Orange.

Brianne

I really enjoy the campus and feel very interested in going here. They have the arts, literature, and music culture I am interested in. I have already attended various concerts and plays on this Campus and if I attend can see myself very involved. We know many alumni that have been very happy and proud of their education at Chapman. Many of my personal teachers did their grad work, along with a family member.

Decent school overall. It's nice to have professors know your name. However it can get a little clique-y, but there are always groups you can join. You really have to put yourself out there if you want to make connections i.e. do Greek life, join clubs, etc. But you can also cruise by without doing any of that so it's up to you. Food is alright, not much of a variety. Not big on sports here as we are a D3 school. Great language programs and study abroad. Housing on campus can get iffy and is sparse

Natalia

Chapman is a really nice, medium sized school, in a suburban area of Southern California. It's pretty close to LA if you have a car and/or don't mind crappy public transport, but I would strongly recommend planning to get a car at some point. However, besides not being able to do much without a car, I love love love Chapman University. Mostly because I'm in Dodge College of Film and Media Arts as a Television Writing and Production major and I'm in the COPA school as a Film Music minor. These are just two of the many schools that chapman offers. Even though Dodge and COPA are the best, I have to also say that I'm biased and I have heard the other programs/schools at Chapman are just as amazing. I love all of my classes and professors and I could not have asked for a better academic life!!! I didn't think I would ever love school until I came to Chapman. And okay, maybe the 70 degree weather and sunshine every day has something to do with it.

Tara

I absolutely love it. All throughout my college application process it was my top choice, and that hasn't changed since I've been here. I have made great friends, the classes are really interesting, the food is very good, there are plenty of fun activities, the campus is gorgeous, there's an adorable town within walking distance with tons of great food and shops, it's amazing. I love Chapman and would recommend it to anyone applying for college.

David

Chapman has been a great place to get an education. The facilities that are available for students are superb! My professors have been so insightful. Having the Orange Circle so close by is always a plus. There are many restaurants, bars, and good coffee houses that are in walking distance.

Kaelyn

I have had a great two years so far! The negatives include the undeclared program, which is where I started my Freshman year. They offer little help in finding a major and all undeclared students are housed together, which didn't help. However, our graphic design program is amazing!!

Joey

The University is incredible and offers endless opportunities to its students. However, there are some ugly aspects of being a science student. You are forced to take a course completely irrelevent to your major as your FFC and its very hated by the student body.

Quinton

Chapman University is a very expensive private school located in none other than Orange County, California. A part of me wished I had attended a UC instead, however when I look around on my campus I find that the class sizes are small, the professors are always available, and there is an abundance of resources that you can tap into. Best of luck, always plan for the long term! :)

Kiara

Chapman University is a great school if you're looking to meet the criteria of a smaller size in a great location. There are endless activities to partake in outside of class, and the class size of 20-40 enables more intimate discussion and a closer relationship to professors. It is often described as that middle step between high school and a larger university, which happens to fit into the comfort zone of the students here.

Philip

Chapman is a great place, full of great professors and outstanding facilities. Students and staff are extremely friendly and always love to help. We have large dorms and outstanding gourmet food. The university is always helpful with the individual financial needs of the students.

Rikki

Chapman University has some of the most unique people you will ever get the honor to meet. Not only are the people fantastic, but the facilities (especially Dodge College) are state of the art. A new science building will be available in 2018. Class sizes range from 12 to at most 50 students. Every professor is especially interested in their subject and is always happy to help. We have also been rated one of the most attractive universities in the nation! Chapman University is the place to be.

Cailin

Chapman is a great university for those looking for a smaller college. Sports aren't a huge thing here so there is no pressure to go to football games or tailgates or anything like that. It's so close to all the best things Southern California has to offer. Disneyland is a 10 minute drive from campus and since it is so close, Disneyland is one of the top employers for Chapman students. It's also a 20 minute drive to the beach. Greek life is important but not everyone is in it. Overall it's a great school to go to.

Erin

I really appreciate the architecture on campus, keeps me calm when I'm freaking out over studying. There's plenty of places to study with beautiful scenery which is very important to me. The connections with professors and the small size of the school is what really attracted me and it's probably my favorite part.

Kelly

Chapman University is a wonderful place to be. The campus is rather small so it really feels like a community and everyone I've met is really friendly. There isn't drama and the students are pretty chill and easygoing. The largest class size probably 100 students which is not bad at all compared to other universities.

Michaela

Chapman is amazing and has the best location if you are looking for a school that has easy access to everything great in Southern California. Disneyland, the beach, and the mountains all readily accessible. That's amazing if you ask me! Plus it's right in Orange County and not to far from Los Angeles so getting internships is not an issue.

Tiona

The administration office and its officers are a bit inaccessible and I saw many frustrated students in there. Very undiverse, school especially since neighboring a highschool with a majority of minorities. This school is WAY too expensive. Beautiful camps though.

ZUbair

Chapman is a great school. The environment, the professors and the location of this school is amazing. The academics are also very top notch. However, there are some things that are absolutely terrible about this school. The food here is absolute garbage and there are no GOOD places to eat on campus other than Starbucks, so get ready to spend money on fast food and cup noodles. Also, Chapman tries to promote diversity, although 80% of this school is just white. As an asian student, this is extremely dissapointing. After your freshman year, you are forced to live in an apartment, and they fill up so fast that most people are just forced to live in the worst apartments that Chapman offers, which are The Harris apartments and Panther Village. If these three things do not apply to you, then come to this school. If not, stay far away.

Hen

There's a so called historian who teaches classes there. He's a fraud, he's not who he says he is and he's fake. His name is Douglas Westfall. He has a lien on his house, his business is failing, he's taking advantage of his disabled wife. He's using my daughter as a dependent on his taxes to pay off his debts. He filed a bogus guardianship against my daughter's mother and I because he doesn't want to let us be her parents. He's a piece of dog s***! What person do you know would use somebody else's child for tax credit? He's alienating us and he needs to be stopped

Cindy

Chapman University is a beautiful campus. Students get to study or take a break at Starbucks or in the Student Lounge and watch TV. Professors are easily accessible and just need to email them or drop in during office hours and professors will happily help the student.

Brianne

Overall, I find Chapman a great place for someone that wants to pursue higher education. The most significant word I would use to describe Chapman is: community. I think that even though Chapman is a private university and a small campus, it really invites its students to get involved and maximize their experience as a college student. I would recommend anyone to attend this university!

Sydney

Chapman has a beautiful campus. The school is fairly small so you get to know your professors and classmates. There is plenty to do on campus, but not much happening in the surrounding area. The academics aren't too challenging and many of the students don't seem very interested in in-depth study. In the end, I did chose to transfer to another school.

Kaia

I love the school. It's easy to find your community as there are opportunities to be involved in a wide variety of things. The student population could use more diversity, however. Greek life is a big part of the student culture but you can absolutely still have fun without being apart of it. Chapman does love to party, if that scene isn't for you, I wouldn't recommend this school.

Madison

Chapman offers a more intimate educational experience with smaller class sizes; and offers many resources for students including career workshops, clubs and activities, and volunteer opportunities. The college has recently put more and more effort into increasing diversity of their student population, although there is still plenty of improvement to be made in this area. I had graduate student professors for two out of four of my classes during my first year, and their lack of teaching experience considerably affected my academic performance; however the school's more experienced professors are outstanding and do a fantastic job of being available and connecting with students.