Chatham University Top Questions

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself not to be so worried. My senior year I was a nervous wreck. I was trying to find my perfect school, and then praying that I would be accepted. Then I worried, that even if I was accepted, would I be able to pass my classes? Some people told me that college is a kind of hell, while others said that it was the best time of their lives. But there is no need for you to worry and stress. You will do the best that you can do, and will achieve any goal if you try hard enough. You will find a school that you love and they will accept you. College is not hell. College is a chance for you to become a better, more educated person. It is a chance to learn to understand the ideas of others while constructing your own perceptions about the world and about life. There is no need for you to worry because you will try your best, you will accept what you get, and you will be happy.

Leah

If I was given a chance to become a high school senior again I would tell myself that college is no joke: have a plan, study hard, and don't give up even if others do not agree with your decisions. During the time your at college, your going to experience many different things and go through many different situations but just know if you have a goal, stick to it, and strive to achieve it.

Victoria

No matter how hard things get, always keep working.

chava

If I could go back in time and give myself advice it would be to be lesse stressed about everything. When you are stressed nothing gets done and it affects your moods and grades. You need to be very seriouse about grades and studying but its also important to be relaxed and have a good time. You need the streneouse studying and the fun breaks in order to get good grades and be sucsessful in college. When I get stressed I procrastinate, that only cuases less studyign and school work to get done. The best advice would be to avoid procrastination and do school work and study ahead of time.

..

Tiphareth

I would tell myself to try ittle harder. Becasue my grade weren't bad in highschool, they could have been so much better. I would also tell myself to relax and that the anxiety does get better. The last thing i would tell my high school self is that for a while we were lost and scared and didn't know what was ging to come next but dont worry because we found our way.

Laura

As a high school senior, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. Twelve years later, I am working toward continuously evolving goals. I still don't know exactly where I am going, but I do have a postitive attitude and an understanding that the journey is the destination. Waiting on a moment of certainty is not worth while, I would simply ask the me of the past to keep moving forward.

Brandon

If i were to go back in time and give some advice to myself, the advice i would give is to stop slacking off, stop skipping and focus on school because your going to regret it in the future. go to class pick up a book and start studying because life is hard outside of high school and you wont get anywhere being lazy. i would make sure that i was focused and ready to succeed, instead of trying my hardest to make it in life.

Charlise

My advice to myself would be to keep pushing and never give up. I would also tell myself to believe in myself and get as much money as I can to pay for school.

Tamara

Knowing what I know now about my whole college expereince, I would have attended Chatham right out of high school. Anything worth working for is usually worth it in the end. College can be fun. But it takes some work and patience to accomplish. But, it can be accomplished if you allow yourself to set a goal and work towards that goal. Then finally accomplish that goal or goals.

Loren

You are on the right track. Just look for more scholarships now so you do not have to worry about tuition payments during the semester.

Kaylee

You have done everything you can throughout high school to prepare yourself for college. To be successful in college, you will need to be organized, disciplined and involved. Manage your time wisely. Be involved in student government and other ogranizations on campus. Challenge yourself. Build relationships with your teachers and administrators. Make new friends. Most of all believe in yourself and your abilities to achieve your goals. Stay confident at all times. You will get out of college what you put into college.

Alex

If I could go back and talk to myself I would tell my self to make a final decision as to what I want to do with my life. With this being my third university I wish I would have picked this major to begin with. Now I have a lot of debt and it is still not over. So the thing I would tell my self is pick something you truly want to do and stick with it or take a year off. Because of the debt, I just hope all the money put into Chatham, truly pays off.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to choose to attend Chatham Univeristy. College life at Chatham is easy and up beat. There is no stress about drinking or partying. Chatham is truely a school that allows me to be who I want to be.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to get involved in Chatham. As a senior in high school, I was stuck in an abusive relationship for about a year and a half. Being in this relationship greatly affected my transition into Chatham and prevented me from making all the friends that I would've liked to. Finally, I got out of this relationship two months ago and I have been the happiest I've been in a long time. There are so many great opportunities at Chatham that many people don't realize, but as a graduate student once told me, "CHATHAM IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT!"

Throughout high school I was a very involved person and enjoyed the different activites I participated in. However during my first year of college I thought it be best to not get too involved and focus more on my studies. But, the truth is that your first year is the best to get involved and meet new people, and experience new cultures or ideas. Here at Chatham University there are several opportunites to get involved in that I wish I would have started my first year, because not only was the course work the easiest in the first year, but I lost opportunities at great experiences. So my advice is that college is the best time to live your life, try different experiences. Yes academics are most important, but if you don't live life and take advantage of new experiences and opportunities you will not be ready to enter into the real world after your education is complete.

Caitlyn

The advice I would give to myself and others would be when making your final decision, look at the big picture, as well as the financial picture. Pick a college you feel comfortable at, that has your major, and that you will not be in debt. The way I viewed it was I would not pay more for four years at school than I could make in a year at my first job. If I made $60,000 per year, I have $10,000 per semester of college I can take loans out for. Students should also take work study if it is offered. This is free money to students to use to pay off school without having to take it out of pocket. Go to a college that is not only financially right for you, but a college you can see yourself excelling in while doing great things. College is one of the greatest experiences of your life, it does not matter where you go, whether its community college or a four year university, it's what you make of it and what you choose to do there that makes all the difference.

Blake

I would have told myself to study harder. A challenge is ok and actually a good thing, not something to run away from. You must keep focused on your goals no matter what and learn to loosen up a little. You are going to meet wonderful and interesting people, so don't be afraid to make some new friends. Life gets much harder after high school than you think, stay at the top of your game and don't falter, or you'll regret it.

Molly

I was very shy in high school, and it's harder in college to make new friends going to a new town and all neew people, so I would have tried to be more outgoing and talked to more people. I also would have taken my classes more seriously and tried to get the most of out them. Wanting to major in Interior Design and art related, my high school didn't offer many classes of that sort, so I didn't really care about my math, english, etc. classes as much. But, all in all I think I did okay in high school considering they didn't offer classes related to all different careers.

Isabelle

The choice of a women's college over a co-ed is exciting and new. Conflicting accounts regarding the effectiveness of a women's college education bombard anyone conducting a simple Google search. (Is it inherently patriarchal or does it allow for an encouraging learning environment?) To my high school self, I say anticipate creative dating options and cross-register in the first semester of your sophomore year so that you get a full year of the women's college experience but also take advantage of larger schools' (University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University) diverse classes and, yes, guys. Going from high school to Chatham can be jarring, but ultimately a same sex environment frees classroom discussion, and whenever professors pose the question of whether students would prefer a co-ed classroom setting, I answer in the negative, as do almost 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of my classmates. It's a unique experience, and at Chatham a rewarding one.

Meaghan

Dear Meaghan, You are about to go to college for the first time, and I have some advice to leave you, being a college sophmore now. One, school will be MUCH harder than you think. You will be challenged more than you ever were in high school. Guess what? That's okay. You are going to need these challenges that will test your strength and determination in the coming years. Two, don't be bitter about the fact that you are an out-of-state student. Your friends who remained in Wisconsin will annoy you with how much they want to go home, despite being two hours away. Use perspective, they are just as homesick as you. Finally, you are stronger than you think. You will accomplish so much during your first two years, and it would not have happened had you not challenged yourself. Don't stop wanting to be a better person. Ever. Signed, Meaghan

I would tell myself to go with the flow and not get so stressed about choosing a career right now! Being in college really allowed me to expand on my interests and goals and realize what I want to get out of life and my career. I initially started studying forensic science, and completely changed to wanting to be a physician assistant. I even transferred schools! I would tell myself to get excited for college, because there is really no other experience in life like it. Really enjoy the time there and the friends you meet. Make sure that you take all the information in that you can because you will need to know it! Mainly, just relax and allow things to happen as they happen.

Arete

The biggest piece of advice I would give to myself is to make sure you get involved on campus. Just going to your classes is not enough. It is important to be involved with clubs or other organization. This is because you will have the opportunity to network with these organizations when you are out in the work force. Also, make sure you do some sort of internship. The point of going to college is not just getting the experience, it is making sure you have all the tolls you need to get the job and career you want. In order for that to happen, one must really be proactive on using all the resources that are available at the university.

If I could go back in time I would have taken more advanced placement classes to help myself better prepare for my college experience.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to work as hard in college as I did throughout my high school years. Since I saw the rewards I received by being a dedicated student, I would realize that the same could be true during my college years. By continuing to be a conscientious student, the transition to college life would be much smoother. Another thing I would tell myself would be to become more involved in extra curricular activities. By doing this, it would make it easier to meet new people and make the transition smoother for everyone. Finally, I would recommend to myself to take a college class during the summer of my senior year to get a better insight into what colllege life would be like.

elizabeth

It gets easier. Starting a new chapter in your life in foreign territory surrounded by foreign people can be exciting if you let it. You'll grow as a person and even surprise yourself a little. If you keep your focus, you'll go above and beyond your expectations. Even if you get a little distracted or diverted, which will happen in life, you'll even eventually find your way back. No path is perfect nor is it linear. Don't be afraid to not go linear.

Lindsey

I would tell myself to find as many scholarships as possible and not to slack off because it only gets harder in college. Also I would of tell myself to be better prepared for what's to come. College isn't just parties and friends. I would look back and ask myself "Is soccer really that important to you?" because playing a sport and doing school work is difficult.

Tara

Work hard. Take your work seriously and do your best on every project, test, and paper. Having good grades and a good work ethic will help you in the future. As well as in the jobs you work at. Your boss can give good recommendations and help prepare you for future careers. Play sports. Play as many sports as you want and can. Not only will this help you with having a "family" at school, but will keep you active and fit. Be a leader. Join clubs and become executive members of them. Keep yourself involved and try new clubs out, you never know what you will like and who you will meet along the way. Be yourself. Although you may want to impress everyone around you, ultimately it will not matter if your the most popular person. People really respect you when you are real and are true to yourself. Finally, Have Fun! After doing everything you need to get done, find time to spend with friends having fun. These people will help you get through all the tough times and new experiences that you will have in your new "adult life." Love Life! It goes way too fast.

I would tell myself the truth. I would let myself know that the transition isn't easy, but it's definitely worth it. All of the problems and hardships I experienced during my freshman year led me to the friends I have today. Without the difficulty I wouldn't have what I do today. I would tell myself that things get better once you know the ropes. I would let myself know how happy I am today with my academic career, friends, and plans for the future so I could see how pushing through the hardship leads to success.

kianna

I would ultimalty tell myself to apply to differnt schools, I love chatham but wish I went to PSU.

subrina

To take time in life to,get something out of high school and injoy it. Life is what you make of it ,is all upto you to do something with your life. The choice is yours its up to you to make something of yourself,were do you see yourself in ten years. What do you want for yourself and your kids can you make a diffirences,what can you change. How can I have made things better for them by staying in school and going to college finsh what I started sooner.

Hannah

go in with an open mind, study hard and push yourself

Laurel

If I could go back there are a few things that I would tell myself. The first is that the boyfriend is not everything, and though it may be hard to leave home and be away from him and the family, you will get used to it, and achieve the goals I have placed forward. Secondly, be open and friendly to your teamates and your roomates, for they will become the best friends that I can ever have. Thirdly would be to not stop looking for scholarships, schooling is expensive by itself, but adding in books, food, and the things I need for laundry, clothing, bathing, and food besides that of the dining hall is expensive, and mom and dad are not going to pay for it. Fourth would be not to go home in the first few months, because you lose some of what we call the Chatham Experience. Plus you also take more time in order to make those valuable friendships, and study groups. Lastly would to be study hard and study often, the tests are harder than what the professors say they are, and if you miss even one class, you will be extremely lost.

The advice I would give myself as a high school senior would be to challenge myself and take harder classes. My senior year I decided to take easier classes and co-op so that I would be able to work more. I was transitioning more into the work world then to the college life. I would tell myself to take more college prep classes and also to retake the ACT. My ACT score was not my best and instead of proving that I decided to accept it. I went to college two weeks after I graduated and because I took it easy my senior year it was hard to get back into doing homework all the time. My advice would be to stay focused on school and not to take it easy my senior year.

Julia

If I were to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to look in a mirror and ask myself what I really want. I knew my major already, but I did not know the cost of fulfilling my dreams. I would have told myself to push myself harder through classes, take more difficult classes, and to be the best I can be. Although I always try to live up to this expectation, it's completely different in college. I care a lot about my grades and should have cared even more in high school. I would've told myself to work harder to bring that GPA up even more. I also would have told myself to get a job and to save my money. I would have made less mall trips and would have had alternate plans with friends that could save money. My school costs roughly $40,000 a year, so I am going to have a lot of loans to pay off. I wish I would have known the value of a dollar in high school, because now it means my future and how far I can go.

Runa

Look, I wouldn't have told myself to slack off or not apply to all the colleges I applied to, but as someone who massively stressed out over the applications process and ended up applying to twenty schools, I would have told myself to chill. Right now, I'm attending, of those 20, the very last one I applied to, the one I thought was going to be an extreme safety school. It's not that I was rejected from the other 19, in fact, I was only rejected from three, including what I thought was my "dream school." But now? I'm at what is my new dream school. I'm happier than I've ever been in my life. I'm not attending a name brand high quality institution, and the new college me couldn't care less about that fact. I just wish I could have told my senior self that the name of the school doesn't matter. It's the people who make the college, not the name it's been given.

Katie

I would make sure that I had a fantastic planner so that I could make sure to keep track of all the new and exciting things happening in my life, even homework. Take advantage of all free time, sleep and eat well, make new friends even if they don't seem like your friends from highschool, and experince new things and make new memories!

Fareedah

Make sure that you pick a school where you feel you will be comfortable living for the next four years and maybe longer. Make sure you make the choice not because someone else wants you to but because its where you feel like you fit in.

Abigail

I would tell myself not to expect that things would go as I planned. And I would warn myself to not be so hard on myself for failures in areas, I hadn't expected but instead treat them as learning experiences and accept them for what they are so I could become stronger for them. I would tell myself to try to ridthe bad procrastination habits I let grow over my waning days during high school, because they were harder habits to kick then I expected.

Rishala

The best advice that I could give students about finding that perfect college is to think hard about which one best fits for you. Don't go to a college based on certain activites that wouldn't be helpful to you. Don't choose a college because your friends are goin or beacuse your parens are forcing you to go to a certian college. Ultimately, the college you decide to choose is goin to effect you. Make sure it will effect you in the best way possible.

Kristina

Finding the right college is a big decision that can only be made by the student. I say this becasue many students end up attending schools that their parents wanted them to go to. The parents will not being attending the school and experiencing things, the student will. The student needs to think about what they want to get out of their time spend st the school. Think about things like, do I want to make a lot of friends or am I here just to learn. Think about the location in which your school is, is there convience or not. All in all the student should think about exactly what they want and if the college they chose can give them what they want.

Marlena

Make sure you visit the school first, possibly for a weekend or at least overnight DURING the school year to really get a feel for the people and the atmosphere on that campus.

Rebecca

Definitely visit the school. Visit as often as possible, and try to receive the most diverse experiences as possible. You will never know if you like a school unless you see it. I think it is important to be yourself at school this will allow you to be happiest. Don't get discouraged and be patient. For example, don't transfer right away and give the school a chance. You will more than likely find something that you appreciate about it.

If I were to give students/parents advice I would tell them to not worry about the money or how much a school. Choose a school that you can see yourself spending the rest of your life on that campus. Consider class sizes and academic programs/services. Also, I think it is important that the parents/students check out the social life. Even though parents don't want their students to party, it is important that they are able to make friends on campus. It is easier to meet friends if you are in a social setting. The school should have activities for the students to participate in. Once you find the right college, don't be afraid to try new things. For example, if you have never skiied before and the school offers it, TRY IT!!! Also, I think it is important to take classes that you are interested in & these classes don't have to relate to your major. It feels good to go to a class that you actually love and apreciate. Also, experiment with different classes. Chose something that is wild and crazy. Most importantly, live life to the fullest. College is four great years!!!!

Leslie

First, you should consider the area, or areas in which you think you would want to study. Check to make sure the college has a variety of majors and minors, in case you change your mind (which is highly likely). Visit the potential colleges and ask yourself if the campus feels right to, if it feels 'homey', and would you be comfortable on the campus? Some students don't like large campuses, and others prefer smaller ones. Talk with some of the students on campus, and ask their opinions about the school, what they like about it, what they don't like, and what they are studying. If you get the chance, try to meet a faculty member, and ask him or her about what they teach, what they think classes are like, ect. To make the most of your college experience, get involved on campus. Sure, you need to study, but you can't just sit in your dorm room forever. It will get boring. Ask about different volunteer organizations near you campus, join clubs, and talk with people. You will meet your best friends in college, and getting involved with the school can help you make lasting friendships.

Judith

I would suggest to other students and parents- to 'shop around' for the best possible programs;making sure that they will be condusive in meeting all the scholastic / academic needs of the student;as well as affordability .To me, also important is the ratio of professors to each student ,what resources will be made available to the student ( i.e.work-study,employment off/on campus)and the meal plans are significant as well.There may be other variables as well to make the most of the college experience.

Bianca

Go to school in a city. Somewhere where you have more than your school to fulfill your needs.

Felicia

Being a first time college student, a student should pick a school that is made for him/her rather than the name of that college. Everyone is not made for big campuses, lecture halls with 200 people, or the lack of teacher/ student interaction. A student should not pick a college because that is where their friends will be attending school, but a college should be picked based on how successive you want to be when you are done.

Flipping through vintage records at Jerry's Vinyl Store you make the discovery of a lifetime! Can this be? You are face to face with the record of your dreams! In disbelief you check the cover again. Aloud you read, "The Beatles, White Album." Patience, hard work and research helped you achieve your goal. After visiting many record stores you finally found the right one! Wearing a smile on your face you proceed towards the cashier. Saving up all that hard-earned money definitely paid off! You never gave up because anything is possible. A positive outlook motivated you to fulfill your dream. It wasn't the record that mattered most, but the experience you had getting there. Success comes to those who are passionate and never give up. Dreams become a reality when you work for them. Most importantly surround yourself with good people who can help you to achieve your wildest dreams and don't give up. I never did and I finally graduated after many obstacles were put in my path. But the experience prepared me for life as well as creating a whole new set of goals!

Leslie

Take time to look at colleges that have a lot of diversity, and numerous opportunites to learn. Make sure you know a little bit about what kinds of classes and major the school offers. Know what you like and dislike; if a larger college campus appeals to you, don't apply to a school that has a small student population, and vice versa. To make the most of your college experience, don't change yourself, or try to be someone you're not. You'll make your closest friends if you just be yourself. College is a time to let yourself go, but don't get carried away. Take time for your studies, but also give yourself time to relax.