Chatham University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Chatham University

Morgan

Chatham University is a wonderfully small, private school in the city of Pittsburgh. It has the perfect combination of a small school feel while also being able to make you feel like you are a part of a bigger community. There is always something going on both on and off campus. The academics are great and the professors are exceptional. It is a wonderful campus and if you are looking for a small school in the middle of the city Chatham is the place for you!!

Claire

Chatham is a good school, but it wasn't the right fit for me. The classes available are interesting and somewhat challenging, but there isn't as wide a variety as I would have hoped. Also, despite being in the middle of Pittsburgh it feels very isolated, which may be a draw for some but can begin to feel claustrophobic, especially since the class size is so small. While I've made good friends there and have taken some very interesting classes, I don't feel as though Chatham is helping me grow as much as I would have liked. There are also the problems such as public safety's faulty record keeping and the ceilings of some dorms falling in, that don't make me feel safe on campus. So while Chatham is a good school and a good fit for some, it wasn't right for me.

Natalie

My overall opinion of Chatham University is that it is a small school located on a beautiful campus in Pittsburgh. There are some negatives to the school, but overall I love it because it is exactly what I want out of a school. The school accommodates my medical conditions, the professors are always there to help me, and the campus is located near a large city with a lot of activities.

Caitlin

Chatham University is a small school located within the heart of Pittsburgh. There is always something to do on campus but if there isn’t something for you it’s conveniently located minutes from Squirrel Hill and Shadyside, and a short bus ride to the other universities in the area. Chatham students are able to take classes at other nearby universities if a class is not offered at Chatham.

Chatham University is an overall good school. It has a great campus vibe with the relationships you make with other students and with the faculty. I am apart of only a couple clubs on campus, but there are an abundance offered. Not to mention the opportunity to create your own. On the academic side, there are some changes that could be done to gain even more benefit to the students. However, I feel I will graduate from Chatham with a good education and a great experience to remember.

Jess

I really enjoyed Chatham University. The professors are socially aware and the campus is passionate about politics, sustainability, art, and gender equality. My experience in the writing program was invaluable. I especially enjoy that Chatham has the option of attending the carbon zero Eden Hall campus for classes or housing.

There is help for whatever you need wherever you go. Some services may take longer than others (work orders for housing issues and housing concerns in general) but when it comes to your professors they are always there. I have not met one professor who I felt would be unavailable to me if I needed anything, and they frequently check up on you and encourage you if it seems like you're having a rough time. There are so many organizations on campus that I'm sure I'm not even aware of all of them yet, and so many opportunities to get involved. Chatham is in the city but feels like a place all its own when on campus. There are many sports, but they are definitely not the focus.

Daniela

Chatham University is a small liberal-arts college with an excellent location in the Shadyside neighborhood of Pittsburgh. There are plenty of things to do around campus, and the professors for the most part are kind and helpful. In addition, dining services are okay but need more options for those with restrictions.

Melanie

Chatham University is a great school for certain programs like education, sustainability and psych, but other programs such as visual arts are sometimes left out to dry with the small amount of staff that are available. Though, those that are there are amazing and provide great opportunities for their students.

Chris

Overall it is a small school that is in a very good location in downtown Pittsburgh. The school has a very tight community with good academics. The sporting events at the school, while are not big now, are growing and becoming a bigger thing overall for the school.

Daniela

Chatham University is a small, liberal arts college with a great location bordering the Shadyside and Squirrel Hill neighborhoods of Pittsburgh. The academics are above average with accessible professors. The food options, however, need more work, as there are not sufficient choices for those with allergies or other restrictions.

Bailee

Chatham University is truly a great school. With an idyllic campus filled with kind, open-minded people, it is a school that makes you feel welcome the very minute you step on campus. The professors are knowledgable and actually want you to succeed. The class sizes are small, so you get to form a relationship with your professor. It really is a school that makes you feel at home.

Omari

Chatham university is an overall great school. With the size being smaller than the usual, students and professors are closer to each other creating a great community. A lot of things are accessible like stores, reactional facilities, the library, and places to eat. This is a great school to get a great education​ and meet wonderful people.

Devon

I greatly appreciate the sense of community that Chatham University has. The people on campus are a very tight-knit group. The community at Chatham also goes beyond the students and includes the president and his family, workers, staff, faculty, and members of neighboring areas.

Anna

I love chatham. As soon as I stepped in, I knew it was going to be my home. Everybody is positive, smiling, and accepting of differences. The teachers care about their students, and teach to help them learn, not just for pay. The campus is beautiful and I have never felt safer in any other community area. I can’t wait to go to chatham university.

While it took time for me to get adjusted and find my place and people on campus, if I had to do my search over again, I would still choose Chatham. I came from a small coal-mining town about an hour south of Pittsburgh, where people usually don't have an opportunity to leave, but Chatham provided me the funds and resources to allow myself to continue and expand my education. I've been here less than a year and I've already made connections that will surely last a life time through my peers, professors, and my on-campus employers, I've learned more than I could have ever dreamed, and I will continue to receive the support and opportunities I need to succeed.

Emelia

I really enjoy Chatham University. It is right in the heart of Squirrel Hill/ Shadyside. You will never be bored off campus because there is always things to do. They offer a lot academically and I love the fact that they encourage studying abroad. The campus setting is beautiful an there is a very friendly vibe. The city of Pittsburgh police are always available to students on and off campus. However, the sticker price cost for tuition is a lot to ask for.

Laura

Chatham is a school that tends to go overboard (First-year orientation, telling you to make friends, e-mails), but in hindsight you'll appreciate it at least to some degree. The academics, activities, clubs, and surrounding area are reason enough to go here. Overall, it's a pretty good school with a hefty bill and a few quirks.

Brooke

The moment I stepped on campus, I felt an undeniable pull towards calling Chatham my home. Although I have only completed my first year, I could not imagine being anywhere else. The faculty is student focused and the class sizes are kept small, allowing me to feel like I am being noticed, and that I am more than a number. Chatham University is a beautiful campus full of love and life, that allows students to express and be who they truly are. There is no other University with as much charm and character.

Melissa

Overall, my opinion is that Chatham University has a lot of potential, but it hasn't wholly acted on it. The school advertises itself as being incredibly progressive and inclusive, but there are big issues. Trans students are misgendered constantly in administration documents, there is a lecture hall dedicated to a eugenicist, and the marketing team tokenizes the nonwhite and queer students on campus for their advertising. In addition, they have signed on far more students than they can house, and the housing they do have isn't great. The students can't have air conditioners unless it's for medical reasons, the dorm halls are prone to leaks and flooding, and a few buildings have mice. That being said, the curriculum is excellent. The writing courses cover a variety of genres, and they hold class readings to encourage young writers to present their work. The professors I've had are all kind, helpful, and skillful teachers. I've been challenged academically without struggling. Overall, I'd say Chatham excels at academic challenge but falls short on it's promises of inclusivity.

Emilia

I believe Chatham University is a school where they take pride and encourage their students to be the best. They are a community that will hear you and are very inclusive. If you need help with anything pertaining to your classes, Chatha professors are always ready to lend a hand. As a student-athlete, it's encouraging and less stressful knowing that professors are there to help you. But don't forget to be a student first before an athlete. Academics always come first, the rest will follow.

Rukaiah

I really love it here at Chatham University. It is a very welcoming and family oriented college. It’s really easy to make friends here and I feel very safe when I am on campus. I really enjoy that is is by a lot of food and shops. The nursing program is really great to learn from.

Molly

Chatham University is an all around amazing university. It is located in Shadyside and Squirrel Hill which are small neighborhoods in Pittsburgh. The campus is not downtown, however with your student ID you are able to ride the public transportation for free around the city. The school and area itself are very diverse, having a large Jewish, Middle Eastern and Indian, Asian as well as African American presence throughout. Chatham l is very accepting of the LGBTQ+ community and has a zero tolerance policy on discrimination. Chatham may be small but it is perfect if the student is looking for a more intimate setting. Class sizes range anywhere from 10 - 40 students, and TA's and professors are easily accessible via email. The campus housing is triple or double occupancy apartments, or up to quad occupancy dorms in converted mansions. There is a sports culture, Lacrosse and Basketball, but there is an arts scene as well. Career Development, Student Employment and our academic advisors are all extremely helpful. Additionally, half of my tuition is paid for by merit scholarships that everyone qualifies for. Chatham U ranks a 10/10!

Zoe

Overall, I believe it's an amazing educational campus with close ties to all the medical advancements Pittsburgh has to offer. But being a pre-med student with a passion for the arts, I'm disappointed. I came from a performing arts high school. to a drama club of 15 members. I love them, don't get me wrong. But I look for stress relief and comfort in the theater and it's just sad that we aren't granted the funds we need for the 'musicals' we put on. The student participation is horrible, everybody really needs to step it up. GET INVOLVED IN EVERYTHING. That's how you meet people and experience life. Although, there is no shortage of political debates. The housing could use a little help. I'm not one for shared singular bathrooms for an entire floor of people. Really these things are minor details, but are important to note. The campus is beautiful, it looks like a fairy tale and you feel like a rich family spending time at their summer home. Chatham is quite safe, surrounded by upper-class families away from downtown Pittsburgh, Plus, all students get free busing to Pittsburgh and it's surrounding areas. The class sizes are very small and personable!

Bailey

Chatham university is a very safe campus, I have never felt unsafe. I can run on campus and around campus alone as well as walk across campus late at night. The academics are great, the diversity is there and it is overall a great campus. There is a lot of things to be involved in such as student government, sports, clubs etc. The area around the school contains many shops and places for students to go to.

Cassidy

Chatham University has it flaws, but what college doesn't. Chatham provides a safe and positive learning environment and is a very warm and welcoming campus. The athletics are good at Chatham, but at the DIII level, academics are way over athletics.

Ray

Not worth the investment for the IArch program. Do not enroll if you have an art or design background. Get confirmation on meetings and conversations with Dean in writing.

Hayley

Chatham University is a nice environment. The variety and quality of food is mediocre. There is a shortage of activities of importance such as volunteering. It has it’s flaws; however, it’s a place of education with an astounding staff ready to teach.