Christopher Newport University Top Questions

Victoria

The difficulty of being a college student does not compare to that of a high school student. Boy, was I in for a surprise! College has taught me the important of discipline, dependance, confidence, and passion. If I could talk to my high school self, I would make myself aware that things are never as bad as they seem. Most importantly, I would tell myself that life is not about being better than others, instead it is about being the best version of yourself. Going to a small private school made me feel intimidated and I always felt at competition with others. I would assure myself that the clothes I wore, who did or did not like me, and being rejected from anything did not define my worth. I would tell myself not to let emotions get in the way of my academics, and that every late night staying up to study was worth it. I would comfort myself by saying that everyone "fitting in" is much less rewarding than being happy with who I truly am. I would love to advise myself to absorb every ounce of knowledge that I can.

Desirea

Read all of the required readings for class. You will do much better on all of the tests if you at least skim the readings as opposed to not eading them at all. Partying is fun, but do not party too much. Study a lot more than you did in high school. It is so easy to pass high school without studying, but not so much in college. Try not to skip classes if at all possible. The teachers you think are easy going and do not really require you to attend class, watch out for them because those are the classes you really have to make sure you do well in. Step your game up a lot more than you did in high school. You have to pay for this so treat it like it is very valuable.

BRITTNEY

Going back in time as a high school senior, transition from high school into college can be a tedious task, making sure the SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test) and your ACT (American College Testing), scores are high, is the advice I would give myself. This plays a big part in your acceptance to the University of your Choice. Also transitioning from high school into college, I would advise myself to strategize; this is the approach to take to close the gap between where I am now and where I want to be in four years. Strategizing make the difference between a plan’s success or failure. Part of achieving my goals is always focused on trying to learn what my strengths are. Equally learn my weaknesses and how to manage or work around them. Developing a vision and goal for the success of my career, having a hard copy of my goals makes it real. Once it becomes a physical entity and not just a thought going through myhead, it has form, substance and reality for me. Staying focus and motivate, and keeping my priorities in order is a way I can set myself up for success in my college years.

Brent

Do not over stress about things, it always makes things worse and damages your health. Just take things as they come to you and deal with them at your own pace. Take time to enjoy yourself, it is not only about hard work, if you do nothing but hard work you will exhaust yourself and cause yourself greater pain.

Charity

Charity, be you. Do not let anyone try and change you or make you do something you do not want to do. Do not waste your time on people that do not care about you. Take time to do things for yourself -- things that you enjoy, for pleasure or for profit. Make sure to have fun. Down time is important and rest is needed. College does not define who you are as a person. However, work hard. Live in every moment and give everything, school, friends, jobs, your full effort. Let the unimportant things roll off your back and dig your feet in deep when the tough, important things come along. Remember that it is okay to fail. College is a learning experience and you will grow and change. Boys come and go, friends stay a little longer. Grades are important, but they do not make up your whole being. Above all, live every second. Enjoy the hard times because they grow and challenge you. Learn from professors you dislike. Experience heartbreak and use that to love others even more deeply. Enjoy the moments -- every single one -- because they pass very quickly and you never want to live with regret.

If I could go back in time, I would tell my high school senior self to have confidence. Confidence had always been a struggle for me throughout grade school. However, when I got to college I realized that I should have the confidence to succeed. It seems to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. If I have the attitude to succeed, I can accomplish great feats. Before, I let my fear of failure and embarrassment get in the way of learning and moving forward. Holding myself back based on these fears was a mistake that I learned the hard way. If I were to go back in time, I would ensure that myself as a high school senior would push through with the confidence of a scholar because with the right mindset and confidence, I can achieve my dreams.

Katelyn

If I could speak to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to ignore all of the people telling me that it would be impossible for me to graduate college in 3 years. I was terrified of the college experience and being told horror stories of taking classes that don't count, not being able to find housing, and only making friends through drinking almost made me decline my acceptance. When I finally got to college, I realized all of those people were wrong and wished my high school self could have known I could accomplish anything I dreamed about accomplishing. I would also give myself the information that our second year of college would be the time when the Neuroscience program opened at CNU. I ended up transfering to the Neuroscience program the day it opened but I would have been a much happier student if I had that event in mind when looking forward. Most of all, I would tell myself to stop and breathe because everything will work out the way it is supposed to in the end.

sara

Knowing what I know now, I would tell myself to be my own person. Do not change for anyone. College can be a difficult transition but it is important to stay true to you. Another peice of adive is not to worrying about making friends. You will find people who you get along with and do not rush that process. Meaning that the first friends you make do not have to be your friends forever. If it does not work out with them you will find others who will be better matches, and it may take time to find the right people.

Katelyn

Please do not worry about the size of the school, just because a school is smaller does not mean that you will be more at ease. You are limiting the possibilities available to you when you choose a school with a small population and low diversity.

Alexandra

Don't wait for people to make friends with you. Go out and make friends.

Agyeman

To my high school self I would say learn how to prioritize your endeavors. College is a treasure chest of opportunities. Pick out of this chest just enough to wet your appetite, but not to much to the point where you are entirely too full. Also, more lessons are learned outside of the classroom than in the classroom. Learn to be yourself and take full advantage of the uniqueness of others. Learn to be tolerant of people who are unlike you because they will help you grow more than you will ever know. To my high school self, remember to utilize your professors. It would be a shame to go through your four years without a professor being able to say anything on your behalf. Moreover, use your career office for internships as these internships will provide invaluable experience that will help you determine your future career. Above all though, have fun college is TRULY the best four years of your life. As you are about to walk across the stage for your college graduation you will remember the first day of undegrad. Make sure the smile on your face is just as bright as day one.

Brandon

Don't panic. All of those long, frustrating, tear-filled nights during high school payed off more than you could have realized. All of those times you felt like mom and dad were too hard, expecting too much, and downright cruel; it was all for your benefit. You are more prepared for college than you could have ever thought. You will not get lost on campus every day. You will make friends. People are kinder than high school teens ever were, and the environment is far less dramatic. Teachers will care about your success, and you will enjoy your English class like you never have before (Professor Cornette is incredible)! In fact, by the time you have finished the first half of the semester you will feel right at home and be thrilled to learn in a college environment. College will be tough, but you can do it and do it well. Be calm, and be excited for what the future holds. The transition will be easier than you expect, college will be more entertaining than you could ever imagine, and most of all, it holds unlimited possibilities for you. Dream big. Don't hold back. Embrace it.

Yasmeen

Yasmeen, be sure to enjoy every moment of high school! High school is the last time it will be easy, set out for you, and carefree. Make sure to adhere to deadlines, it makes things so easy. Choose a college not on where your friends are going, but where you feel that you would fit in best, because you will make new friends. Make decisions based on what you want out of life – choose classes that interest you and you know what? Change your major as many times as you need to if you find yourself not liking what you chose. You will be stuck with that degree for your whole life and you want to be happy in your field of work. It all sounds cliché but it is all so true. Listen to adults, and not biased ones. Your advisor knows lots and is willing to share with you. Even talk to friends’ parents! They are the best because they are all different and have different advice with different majors. MOST importantly, learn to study well! You are going to need it.

Nathan

I would advise myself to keep my head up, and to know that I am attending an amazing college where there would be friends, professors, and administrative faculty looking out for me. I was worried that college would leave me on my own, and the reality of the situation has been the farthest thing from that. I had a conversation with my sister earlier this week about the same things. She's about to graduate high school, and was terrified of the academic rigor and possible social isolation that was ahead of her. I believe I was able to relieve her of her worries. "College is so much better," I explained. "You are on your own, make your own decisions, and work toward things that are truly furthering your life and what you want to learn. I couldn't imagine anything better. Sure, there are more responsibilities, things are harder, but it's not like the school would design a curriculum that is impossible to succeed in. You just have to work. Go to class, keep high expectations for yourself, and buckle down and do your work every night." Those are the same exact words I would tell myself.

Evett

Evett Hearn, you need to go college and get a degree in the medical field so that you will be able to have success. Without a degree you won't be able to get a good paying job to support your family or yourself. so I advise you to take advantage of all the education you can get, but first you will have to get financial assistance to help pay for you tuition, books, and transportation. Then wants you get a degree, you will have a good job. The job that you will have will be enough to provide and save money towards tuition for the six children that you will have, then that way they can go to college and possible get a bachelors degree in what ever job field that they choose. You and your whole entire family will be much happier with a degree from college. Therefore , you guys can go on trips, buy a lot of things you want and need and even help out your community by donateing financial assistance, along with you working in Doctor offices and or insurance agency offices.

Danielle

You love science, not fashion. You're going to hate playing Devil Wear's Prada in New York, but it will make you a stronger person. Never run from problems, you're more resiliant than you think. Forgive mom, she's in AA now and hasn't had a drink in two years. You'll need your mom, even in college. Save your money and take out as little loans as possible. You're not marrying Sam, so don't miss out on valuable college experiences waiting for a call. Most importantly, tell Dad how much you love him and that he needs to get his heart checked. If this is too late, I'm sorry. It may not seem like it now but it does get easier. I know he won't be there when you get your acceptance letter but he'd be happy to know you're going to such a great place. College seems scary, especially without him there to guide you. I can't tell you that you won't make mistakes, you will, but in the end you're going to be okay, I promise. Your life isn't over, it's just beginning.

Tarah

Wow, what an eye opener college life has been. If I could go back in time and give myself advice, I would first suggest choosing a college that I could actually afford. I would tell myself to first attend at 2 year college and then transfer into a great 4 year University; it would have been the common sense thing to do. Secondly, I would give myself a 'pat-on-the-back' for maintaining way above average grades and remind myself; it was well worth it. Lastly, I would tell myself not to stress about adapting to college life, because the stressing was not worth it in the end.

Kristen

If I could go back in time and give my 18 year old self advice, I would address several points. The first would be not to let any one person have too much influence on my decision making: not a parent, not a friend, not a boyfriend. Seek advice, pray, talk to the ones you love, but in the end, it’s your life, so do what you think is best. Second, I would tell myself to have a clear written plan for the future. Do research, make goals, and visualize how to achieve them: a lot of the mistakes made by college students happen because they don’t ‘plan to fail, they fail to plan’. Make adjustments as needed, but never lose sight of what it is you are trying to accomplish. Third, I would tell myself no matter how lonely or depressed you get, never surround yourself with people who aren’t good for you. It is worse to be lonely with people around than it is to be lonely when you’re actually alone. Finally, I would tell myself that I am special, capable, and loved. God loves me and with His help, I can achieve anything!

Colleen

To be honest, and not to be narcissistic, I would have nothing different to tell my high school self about the college transition. I love the way my first semester of college went: I got involved in several clubs, got to know some great people and made great bases in my education. Through said clubs, I am getting even deeper involved. I am now the fundraising chair in the Ballroom Dance Society and am in charge of a tree planting project in Center for Wetland Conservation. If anything, I would stress a little more focus on grades, even though I came out with a 3.0! However, having that GPA, the great friends and extra curricular activites is enough for me.

Teanna

1. Do not stress about it. I repeat, do not stress about it. Even though, it is a big step in your life, you shouldn't stress about starting college. There will be many resources and people there to help you along the way and make the transition into college. 2. Every essay you wrote and every scholarship application is woth it because college is expensive. You may not notice it now because she haven't start putting out money for college, but once you enroll in college and start living the college life. You will notice how expensive it is. Start saving money now and apply for as many scholarships as possible. 3. Do not think twic about your choice to live in a dorm. Living on campus is a way to get the full college experience and meet so many new poeple while having fun and becoming (sort of) independent. 4. During the first few weeks of school, speak to and talk to as many people as you can. You may not get to know everyone you speak to, but this will help you to become more social and meet people like you, and possibly you new friends.

I could offer a myriad of suggestions for college life. I could tell you everything I've learned from, "Don't dwell on past mistakes; focus on not repeating them in the future" to "Don't compromise your faith; instead, let the challenges posed by others help it to grow stronger." I could even remind you of things you already know, like "Don't procrastinate; it will only make things worse in the end" and "Don't get drunk; it's highly overrated." In the end, though, the lessons college life has to offer aren't ones that can be learned through trite sayings or pseudo-sage advice. Like so much else in life, you have to live through it yourself. You will think you've learned your lesson, only to have history repeat itself. For better or worse, some things won't go as planned. Mistakes will be made, but there will be triumphs as well. And when all is said and done? You are absolutely going to love college.

LONNIE

Get that college degree as the times will get tuffer as more people realize that they will not be able to get good careers without the college degrees. Going now after high school will be a lot easer than waiting till you have to go back later.

Meredith

Be yourself. No matter what school you choose, you will be happy if you are involved in the school. Invest as much of your time and energy into your studies and your extracurricular activities as you are investing monetaritly and you will get every cent back with amazing and life changing experiences.

Mary

Start studying now. You may not need to, but start focusing on way that you can study. This skill will be very important next year. Studying is the best way to ease your stress in college, so learn how now. You won't believe how much of a difference that could make.

Candice

Knowing what I know now about school and life I would tell myself to “Take it serious”. There are going to be many years of school ahead of yourself and one wrong move can make it that much harder to get to where you want to be. If I knew what I know now about college as a senior or even better a freshmen I would have taken it that much more serious the first time I try to attend school after I graduating. A high school diploma is not going to get you very far these days just a minimum wage job. A college degree is going to get you a career. Even if you do not know what you want to do in life you can still go to school at a community college and decide when you find out what interest you. Then you can transfer to a 4-year university to pursue your career goals. In the end the more serious you take your path to college the easier and more successful you will be.

Erica

I would tell myself to get my work done on time and to not procrastinate. I would also tell myself to use all money and meals wisely. I would also tell myself to be more outgoing when it comes to making friends and interacting with my professors. Ultimately I would tell myself to use the resources that are available to me like tutors and the library.

Astryd K.

Would study and I would definitely cinched so much more to be able to go to college and not be from scratch as the top school teachers and should not prepare you to be. I advise all young people in school take advantage of the time and fight for their dreams and goals and may go far.

Nicola

Every senior is nervous about their college selection and what to expect when they finally start their freshman year. Two years ago, I was in that exact position, wondering what college would be like and constantly talking to peers about new things like 'random roommates'. I was also hesitatant to make any concrete choices about which school I would choose. Looking back, I wish I had been more confident in my decision because I now know that Christopher Newport University was, and continues to be, the right choice to me. If I had known as much about college as I do now I would have told my senior-self to not be so nervous about moving away from home, since it is one of the best parts about college. The independence that comes with moving away from home is a crucial part of growing up. I also would have liked to calm my nerves about how hard I thought the classes would be. The classes are very different from high school but as long as you stay on top of your readings and assignments, your fears of failing out of your freshman year will become a distant memory.

Tola

A few college pointers from myself who is smarter and more experienced to my high school self. I have learned and picked up a lot these three past years at college. The most important thing is to soak up every moment you are in college and enjoy the experiences. The first thing I would tell myself is to look at scholarships! I was very ill prepared when it came to looking and applying for scholarships. It would have made my financial life a lot easier throughout these years in college. I would have not had to worry so much on books, housing and expenses as much if I had a good amount of assistance from scholarships.My second advice to myself would be to join more clubs! I say this because I have transferred campuses twice, from community college to Penn State University and it was very hard making friends the first semester at Penn State. Besides the fact of making friends it is also a good resume builder to help me in the future when I am looking for jobs. This is not high school anymore! Take advantage of the college surroundings and live life to the fullest!

Amber

I was 5 months pregnant when I graduated from high school. If I could go back, I would tell myself not to get pregnant. My pregnancy prevented me from attending college in the fall of 2005 like I had planned. I also would tell myself to join the National Honor Society. At the time, I thought it was nerdy, but now that I look back, I regret not joining. It would have provided a lot of opportunities for me. I would tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as possible and to make sure I had everything I needed for school. I would advise myself to study hard in college and to take notes on everything my professors say. I would tell myself to learn as much as I could about my subjects and to practice writing good essays. The best advice I think I could give myself would to be not to give up. I can do anything I set my mind to and I can't let anything get in the way of my goals.

Andie

I would absolutely love to have this impossible opportunity. First I would tell myself to relax. Applying to college was an extremely stessful time for me and made high school that much harder. For one, as a senior, you should know that junior year is academically your most important because as a senior, you should have college acceptance letters by October-December. So taking every AP class you can fit in your schedule as a senior isn't the most ideal. Also you should have looked at your college's course catelog, so that you could see your general education requirements and possible major requirements. Take those as AP classes or take classes that are in that general area, instead of wasting your time on time consuming AP history classes that don't do anything for your required courses in college. If you had done this, Andie, you could have had 12 or more credits already coming into college! This would have brought you closer to your dreams of working with animals and art, saving you time, money, and stress!

Leila

My college experience has taught me that there is a lot to life and regardless if a paper is finished, a chapter is unread or I missed the social gathering of the semester, life will still go on. I believe college is a bridge from adolescence to adulthood and it is vital for most people to cross it. This is a place where you are almost on your own but still have some leeway to be a kid. College is a small society of people just like you trying to better their future and if your motivated you'll get there. I have learned that I have to work hard, study well and stay focused because these four years fly by. I will take away from this time of my life great friends, great experiences and most of all great lessons, both for life and for a career.

Taylor

College has given me so much. I was always the shy kid growing up. I had friends and played on sports teams, but I was not a fan of meeting new people. When I found out that no one I knew was going to CNU, it scared me. I was extremely nervous when I moved into CNU, but I knew that I couldn't let it get the best of me. So, I made myself become more outgoing and come out of my shell. I tried new things and met many new people. College has allowed me to open up and change for the better. College has also allowed me to find my best friend which I am thankful for. I feel it is valuable to attend college because it's important to get a higher education. College lets people gain the proper knowledge to pursue their career and life goals. Also, college can provide you with lifelong friends as it has done to me. My college experience has been successful so far. Plus, since I'm the first one to go to college in my family, it has been a new, exciting experience for both my family and I.

Chelsie

Education is my foundation. With knowledge and college experience, I can rely upon myself to determine my future and where I will go. College has taught me the basics of living on my own and relying on myself to provide the future I dream of. I have developed friendships that not only will last through college, but will last me the rest of my life. From classroom and outside the classroom experiences, I can utilize my knowledge and apply it to my everyday life and my career to excel and become the person I know I can be.

For the past two years I have attended Central Piedmont Community College and have had a lot of positive experiences through this. I have been able to continue living at home, spending time with my family and saving approximately $25,000. I also received the Levine Scholarship, an academic scholarship that has saved me approximately $3,750. I have attained most of my general education classes at CPCC, getting a head start of my future Bachelor's degree. Though I have continued to live at home, I have become much more independent than I was in high school. I have been fortunate enough to be able to work about 30-40 hours a week while keeping a full-time student status. This has taught me responsibility and time-management. I believe a college education can catapult students toward successful, independent lives. The saying "knowledge is power" is incredibly true when applying for a competitive job or working as an intern for a powerful company. I look forward to continuing my education at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.

Ricardo

What I have obtained from my college experience has been the appropriate knowledge to communicate with others, the ability to improve my critical thinking while analyzing and revising a particular topic or subject matter, and the importance of working and acting as a team to achieve the prospected outcome or goal. On the second hand, the most valuable factor of attending college in my personal opinion has been “caring” since by caring on a topic, issue, person, institution, job site, experiment, research, government, and much more, a person (as myself) is more capable of doing the impossible to achieve outstanding results and help others to do the same. This same value creates a positive environment to interact with others while respecting their thoughts and opinions. Lastly, integrity, professionalism, courage, scholarship, and commitment are a product of caring that adds to our quality of living and gives us the strengths to continue our daily routines; therefore, without caring I believe I would have not been the better scholar and person I am today.

Sandra

I first attended college in the year 2000 to 2001. Based on that experience I have learned that it is alright to come out of your comfort zone. It's alright to get to know your teachers. When I attended before I didn't really get to know all of my teachers and you could tell by the grades I received. This time I plan on asking more questions, participating in class, and overall getting the grades I know I can get. I also know now the direction I want to take my life and that has helped to center my educational goals as well.

Katie

My college experience has been defined mostly by the organizations and clubs I have joined in my time here. I have met my closest friends through on campus clubs and have learned much from them. By becoming involved in the student outreach of the Genocide Intervention Network and Invisible Children, I have learned the importance of being a global citizen and the need of people all over the world. Through this experience I have been inspired to take on humanitarian work after I graduate from college, a desire that I had not discovered prior to immersing myself in campus life.

Cori

I came to college with an idea of what I thought I was going to do with my life. The wonderful liberal arts background at Christopher Newport has helped introduce me to a wide variety of options that are available to me, both within my intended major and outside of it. What I thought I was going to major in, has been re-evaluated and re-constructed with the help of the professors and staff. I now have a definte goal in sight and a carefully constructed course load to accomplish my goals.

Jalie

John F. Kennedy once said, "let us think of education as the means of developing our greatest abilities, because in each of us there is a private hope and dream which, fulfilled, can be translated into benefit for everyone and greater strength for our nation." It may seem cliche to state that education shows us our strengths and enables our dreams for the benefit of ourselves as well as others. However, the more you work at your education, the more you find this to be true. Through my experiences at Connors State College, I have found my strengths in certain classes as well as within myself. Integrity has been everything. Pushing myself in my education as well as my extra-curricular activities, has given me the true feeling of accomplishment. I have witnessed that you learn much more by not taking the easy path. I have found the importance in being a leader and a friend. I have always wanted to be a nurse, and my education has added fire to this passion. I feel that through my classes and my experiences I have been reassured that nursing is the course for me and that I can impact many lives.

Nadia

I have learned how to be more open to people and much more independent. College gives people such a unique experince that it's so important for people to attend. Not only are you getting an education, but it helps people develop socially and emotionally. This is the perfect time for mistakes and figuring out who you are without major consequences, like in the "real" world.

Kally

My University Attending Christopher Newport was one of the best choices I have ever made. At first I was super homesick but then my hall mates, my RA and the school itself made me feel more welcomed each and every day. Being in college has helped me become a better student academically and personally. I learned to manage my time so that I could get my work done on time, be active around campus and have my own personal free time. In high school, it was much easier to get everything done because your teachers where on you all the time and you had a routine going. In college, it’s different because you have all this time in your hands but it’s up to you to make the best out of it. Attending this school has been very valuable to me because it’s taking me to the right path for a better and successful future. Christopher Newport has my major and a pre-medical program that will guide me to apply to medical school in a few years. I hope to get more out of this university by time I graduate.

Tyler

College has been the most influential experience of my life. Experience is the most powerful device for learning, and that's exactly what I've gotten here. Through our liberal learning program I have learned about art, French, business law, and much more. As a theater major, I wasn't expecting to have such a diverse spectrum of classes but every class has proved to be greatly influential in my life. I now have an incredible understanding and respect for people who choose other paths in life. I have been able to make connections between theater and every other class, and apply those connections to my acting in order to improve and understand the complexity of human nature. My experience has also been filled with more friends than I could have possibly imagined, from a plethora of different backgrounds. Understanding other people's experiences has allowed me to indulge in the essence of life itself. Life as an actor involves delving deep into the human psyche and my college experience has profoundly helped me to seek answers and acquire knowledge that will help me become the person I strive to be. Through college, I've been given true vitality.

Gregory

College is a time and place when things are happening all around you. I have been exposed to more life experiences that I will cherish, as well as remember for the rest of my life. College is hard to describe because there is a depth to it. There are so many levels of different people and things that someone gets exposed to it's unbelievable. After high school, I could have never imagined becoming the person that have today. I did not see myself loving the university I attend, joining a fraternity, quitting varsity football, joining club rugby, becoming best friends with multiple college professors, working as a waiter in a restaurant, working as a campus security, or even buying a fix-me-up-truck. I have my college experience to thank for the fact that I can go anywhere and everywhere knowing that I can talk to anyone about nearly anything while showing both my intellectual prowess and my confidence in any social situation. I am a self-sustaining, hard-working, party-enjoying student that will be successful in whatever career I pursue when I graduate. I can thank my 18-year-old self for choosing this place.

Allison

Many people choose college as a way to flee from their parents and enter into a world of frat parties, late nights and plenty of coffee. I saw much past that when I began my first semester at CNU. I saw it as a way to become extremely active on campus, do as much as I can both in and outside of the classroom and to learn not only about other people, religions and backgrounds but about myself. Basically, I wanted to put as much on my plate as possible without jeopardize my grades. I started working at the school coffee shop 5 days a week, joined a sorority, was a part of young life, applied and recieved the position of a residents assistant for the 2010-2011 school year and still was able to balance school work. With that being said, time management became my new best friend. This was one of the most valuble concepts I have taken away from my college experience. This is also something that will not stop once I leave college. I will always want to push myself to take on new things and with that being said, balancing them is just as important.

I realized that I am a much stronger person than I could have ever imagined! This school has opened my eyes to what I am capable of, especially after I attended NYU last summer between semesters. I am hoping to attend NYU for graduate school next Fall with this scholarship money.

Sydney

Throughout my first year of college I have learned so much. Eat breakfast, because you may miss lunch or eat dinner, because you may miss breakfast. Study in advance and get plenty of sleep or you will definitely be falling asleep on your test. Do not stress to much over the small things. It is not worth it. Get plenty of excercise, it really does help relax your brain. When you are studying for hours on in for that huge test, make sure you take breaks that are atleast thirty minutes long. It helps you retain the information. Do not study the day of the test, because you dont retain any of that information. Most of all have the time of your life. Make the best of friends. That is what college is all about. It has been valuable to me, because this is whats kept me waking up each and every day. My roommate is my best friend, my hallmates mean everything to me, and I feel one hundred times smarter after leaving my classes. Everyone should try it out, atleast one semester. It is totally worth it. I wouldn't change a thing.

Erin

Just going through my freshman year has shown me so much that I will reemmber for the rest of my life. I've met people that have already had an effect on my life and others that I will never I kno I can ask questions and the teacher will answer to me remembering what my name is and not associating me with a number. I also decided to join a sorority which has also changed my life. I have so many sisters that would do anything for me already and has shown me what loyalty and honor means. Sports is also another large part of CNU. I am part of the Women's Varsity Tennis team and it has given me structure and taught me time managment. I've seen how positively CNU affects students. A lot of time when talking or listening to others, I always here how people love being at the school and how amazing it is to be there. Students are generally always happy. I know CNU is just starting to show me what it has to offer and I am very willing to accept whatever the school has to offer.

Alen

I have high aspirations of obtaining my Bachelor?s degree in engineering. To realize that dream, for the last 2 years I?ve been attending school full time at St. Louis Community College on an A+ program and working full time. I?ve also dedicated extra time to volunteering and community work. Neither of my parents or grandparents have a college education. They were all born in the former Yugoslavia but are now American Citizens. I want to make them all proud.

Courtney

In my family, no one cared about going to college. It was never talked about, never encouraged. My parents didn't push me to apply and at age 19, I made the decision for myself to go to school. Since then, I have received two associates degrees, but also something much more important: the knowledge that my life is in my own hands, and I can shape it in any way that I want. College has opened me up, and put my life on a new track. I have met wonderful people through my college experiences that have inspired me to be better and do better for myself, and not let excuses get in the way. Without college, I don't know the person I would be now. But I know that since I've been in school, I've grown so much and had my eyes opened to what I can do with my life.