Cincinnati State Technical and Community College

« See more reviews of Cincinnati State Technical and Community College

If I could go back in time and talk to my senior self I would stress the importance of school, education, and the various opportunities high school can offer. Although senior year is supposed to be a fun and memorable year I would encourage myself to remain focused on the long term goals I have created for myself. I would encourage myself to begin to work on organization and time management, as well as prioritizing various aspects of my life. I would stress how different college life is from high school life. In high school teachers know you because they have watched you for the past 4 years. College is extremely different, and instead of encouraging you to improve and holding your hand, professors use the tactic of failure. I would tell myself that if I want to achieve my goals in life and become successful then I have to remain focused and complete all assignments on time and to the best of my abilities. I would encourage myself to devise well thought out plans constantly and drive myself to work on achieving them. I would remind myself that hard work does pay off and is very rewarding.

The Advice that I would Give Myself as a Former High School Student is to Begin to Decide upon My Career Goals. I would have told My Fomer High School Student Self to; Discover what Career Path that I want to Pursue. I would have told Myself that I should already know what My Career Path is Prior to Starting College. Also, I would have told My Former High School Student Self to Develop Good Student Habits, while in High School, in order to Prepare Myself for Academic Success upon Starting College. In addition, I would have told My Former High School Student Self, to Learn to Balance School Academics & Social Life now Prior to Starting College. For instance: Extra-Curriculum Activities & Sports, should not be outweighed over your School Academics. In conclusion, I would have told, My Former High School Student Self, to keep an Open Mind. Be willing to Meet New People from Different Cultural Backgrounds & Experiences. Be willing to be a Team Player amongst your Classmates. Peer-to-Peer Study Groups are Very Helpful in College & will even Prepare you for College Group Activities.

I think people if given the opportunity would love to go back in time and set many paths previously chosen to a different course. I made the decision to go into the Army after graduating high school. I wasn't sure what career to seek out but did feel the need to defend our Country. Going back in time I would advise myself to make better choices when joining the army such as guaranteed paid college education when my time was finished. One minute I was in the middle of Desert Storm as a Bradley mechanic and the next I was being honorably discharged for an injury. After two years I had no viable skills and no bridge towards education. Upon returning home I hid from the experience by buckling down and working at mediocre jobs. If I could go back and make different choices I would tell myself to forget the past, focus on the present, sign up for school, and have faith that a career path will show itself. Even though I would have made different decisions, the ones I did make created the man I am today, and with that I am content.

The message I would truthfully convey to my younger self would be to not take my education for granted. As a high school senior in 2002, I was given the opportunity to attend a local community college with a full-ride scholarship based on my academic performance. At the time, I took this gift for granted; I had not yet declared a major, which was not unusual for many undergraduate students, but I also did not have a plan for my success. During my second year at this particular school, I still had not met with an adviser and had made a plan for myself or my future. I flunked a course and dropped the rest, and as a result I lost my scholarship. Until last year, I had not found the strength to return to school and rediscover my passion for education and acheiving my goals. It was a long road to get back to square one, having to re-take classes at the college level that I had excelled in during my high school career, but it has been the best decision of my life. Now, I would tell myself to stay focused and not lose my ambition!

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as an high school senior about knowning what I know now about college life, the advice I will give myself is to pay attention to the information my parents and teachers are telling to me. Some of the things that my parents and teachers try to inform me about went through one ear out the other. My teachers and parents always told me to start looking for colleges in the beginnging of my senior year so I can get accepted to the colleges I really wanted to attend. Of course, me being me, I didn't listen. When I recieved my high school diploma the principle was announcing all of the colleges students were accepted to and when they reach to my name I didn't have any acepptance to any college. Of course it made me feel down but I kept my head high. So in the summer time I went to colleges and explore the campuses. I was accepted to three colleges and decided to attend Cincinnati Technical College. Now here I am achieving my dream goal to become a criminal psychologist.

I would advise to understand research techniques, have good writing skills and know how to take notes what information to write down in a lecture.. Make sure to take college prepardness classes adapt to the new learning skills. It would be advantageous to enroll in as many college level classes as possible while enrolled in high school. Summer school is a plus from the end of ninth grade. General Education in high school classes in summer are accelarated and easier. It also frees up time to complete College prequisite classes. It is very important to visit colleges and have an idea of the profession you are going to experience. Review as many catalogs from colleges of interest to make sure credits are transferrable to other Universities. Schedule visit to speak with a counselor ask any other questions. Gather and complete Financial aid as soon as possible. Research scholarships available. Purchase note cards, laptop, paper, pens, pencils, notebooks, etc. Secure housing and transportation issues.

There are several things I would tell myself if I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior. Since I am not a traditional student, I have often pondered this very question. One of the most significant things I would say is to do what makes you happy. You are the creator of your own destiny, and if you need to ruffle some feathers along the way to get this point across, do so. I would also say life is not easy, but you definitely get out of it what you put in. The only way you're going to succeed in life is to work hard, but most importantly, push yourself even harder through difficult times. Planning and creating goals are going to be the secrets to your success. Also, I would stress to myself the good times wouldn't be meaningful without the bad times, and please try not to sweat the small stuff. Time really does fly, so enjoy every moment you can and be grateful. Lastly, I would say those parties you're planning on going to were not that great, so just crack the books open and study young lady!

If I was given the chance to go back and speak to myself as a highschool senior I would tell myself to not worry about what I want to be so much as what I enjoy. Looking back I am on my 4th major and working on two different ones. It's never about what you think will be the easiest degree which was what I was going for. It's about what you enjoy learning about. I would also tell my self to not rush adulthood. Stay at home and go to school full time so that when I finally hit sophomore level I am not turning 23. College is alot different in many aspects but the biggest one I saw was the difference in how much the teachers put on you to succeed. In highschool the only reason I passed was because the pressed me. In college they only press so far. I would defenitlaly tell myself to put more effort into paying attention in class then of making friends. Also not to be nervous because your not alone when you get there. Everyone is going through the same things and to have fun.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself when I was a high school senior I would have told myself to focus on school first, while its a main priority and if it's possible go away to college to get the full experience. When I was graduating high school I didn't want to move away from home so therefore I don't feel that I received the full college experience and I let other things in my life take priority over my classes such as boys, now that I'm married and I really want my degree I have to balance work, school and married life, which isn't an easy task. I would also tell myself to attend class, it may feel that it's a waste of time however in the end if you aren't in class there's so much you miss and then you are constantly trying to catch up to where you should be. Lastly, I would say "enjoy it!" Every moment in college is a new experience with new things to learn and life changing experiences that nothing will ever take the place of. Be filled with memories!

If I could go back and have a conversation with myself as a high school senior I would first emphasize how much easier it is to go to college straight from high school. There is much more help and advice available while in high school than after graduation. I would recommend going to school outside of my hometown to eliminate some of the distractions of friends who decided not to attend college. It would offer a new area and a chance to better discover myself surrounded by a new group of people. I would also make it a point to explain why it is okay to take out loans to help cover the costs of doing this. Furthing my education is the best investment I could make and the increased income upon graduation would make it easy enough to pay off in the end. But most importantly, I would tell myself to do it for one reason, myself. Self-motivation is much more important than going to school because an outside person is pushing for it.