City Colleges of Chicago-Harold Washington College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for City Colleges of Chicago-Harold Washington College

courtney

It's a great affordable options for finishing pre-reqs. The class size is usually pretty good. There are enough students to not feel pressured, but not too many that you can go to the professor for help. The school has a multitude of services, including a Writing Lab, Tutoring Center, Health/Wellness Center, and a Advising Office.

Andrea

It is a good school, though it has drawbacks that keep it from reaching the point of becoming a great school.

Riley

Harold Washington is a great two year school. It is easily accessible, being in Chicago's Loop. If you have any breaks, there's an abundance of things to do, as the campus is right by State Street and not far from Michigan Avenue. It was a great transition school, for me personally. The professors were always available and ready to help on top of keeping regular office hours. All of the classes I took challenged me and give valuable information. I had a lot of really good conversation with my classmates. If I have any complaints, it is that Harold Washington College is very much a commuter school, but what I don't like in a school maybe exactly what someone is looking for in one.

Taidgh

Great no-frills affordable community college. More value than any large institution, highly recommend starting off here before heading to an expensive 4-year institution. Harold Washington will give you the opportunity to earn your credits for dirt-cheap and build up your GPA to rack in more scholarships later.

Victoria

Harold Washington is a community college that aims to do just that: serve the community. Professors deeply care about their students and always make themselves available, the education is pretty decent, and there are plenty of resources to help you academically, financially, and mentally. It may not be the prettiest campus, but it does offer a lot to push its students toward their dream college. It's the perfect stepping stone into a four-year university or a trade career.

Paisley

I would describe my time in HWCC as your average college experience. Nothing specifically stood out to me while I was there during my two years. It was a studious environment that was usually very clean and easy to navigate. There was never a time I felt particularly unsafe. I did appreciate the countless places to lounge around when I wasn't in class. The faculty was occasionally rude but overall, easy to work with. The teachers were typically easygoing. Overall, I'd say the experience was lukewarm.

Simeon

Great gollege. Since themoment I apllied and took mt entrance exame to the present moment I had no problem. All my professors are professionals who care about their students. They have been extremely helpful with my studies and sometimes moral support. Chearpersons of the departments are extremely nice and care to work towards a better future cooperations with students and staff. I would definitely recommend HWC to my friends. It is worth it!

Brandon

This is a good college. I came here just for my education, and I was heavily educaed in only one year. The teachers were entertaining in their own way. One teacher just did not feel like teaching, so that one computer science class was more of a self-taught class.

Tiffany

Harold Washington is a good school, that helps to bridge the gap between, high school and a four-year university. The school is located in the heart of downtown Chicago, which helps to draw in a diverse group of students, as well as, huge organizations/companies, that will offer internships and job opportunities for students. I wish I would've gotten involved in more events at the school because they have plenty of clubs and groups to chose from; except sports wise. My only gripe about the school would be some of the academic professionals and financial departments. If you are not sure with the area of study you want to pursue or if the intended class you want is full, many advisers will recommend you take classes that have nothing to do with your interest, just to bring in money for the school and fill up the class. Also, the financial aid office is always super busy and backed up. And then you add the fact, the state is facing another budget crisis. My goodness! Overall, I enjoyed my time here and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to save money and those who want that college experience before committing to a university.

Ryan

I think that Harold Washington College is a great two year college to go to when transferring to a four year school because of the connections to be made there. They have great professors as well. My only complaint would be that the students don't take their education as seriously as they should.

Diego

This is a great start to college if you live in Chicago. It's affordable,accessible and reliable for education. There are students from many backgrounds here and the class sizes are small so the professors are easy to communicate with. Compared to a university It is better to start here for the transition after high school.

Brandon

This isn't really a party college or anything. It's a good community college if you need to take a few classes so that you can meet your major requirements. The cost isn't bad at all, especially if you live in Chicago. I would recommend this college for students who are planning on transferring to a four-year university and want to save money.

edgardo

To start off, Harold Washington College is a great school to take classes on campus. I usually come in to the school to attend my classes and if I need to I might stay after class to seek the professor for further questions of class subject. I will be taking online classes soon for this college hoping for better learning.

Mimi Thelma

I believe the city colleges are a great option if you are trying to save money since you get a quality education at a lesser cost and after completing your Associate's degree which usually takes two years, you can transfer to a four- year university to obtain a Bachelor's Degree. Harold Washington College is located in downtown Chicago which is the main area for most businesses and our school is more focused on the business professions and they help connect students with lots of internships in companies around the area. The school also offers courses in the Sciences and Arts although Business is the main focus. I love the small environment and small class sizes we have which make it easier for professors to get to know students on a personal level. We have great professors and an amazing student government who see to it that student concerns are addressed. We have a couple of clubs and organizations for students to join and it is very easy to create a club of your own if there is a club you would like to start. We also have great resources on campus such as the tutoring center, career center which helps with resumes and jobs, the transfer center which helps students transfer successfully to 4-year universities, and the wellness center which helps students with any problems they may have such as stress or anything psychological. I would totally recommend attending Harold Washington since it's a great place to be and I would advise new students to get involved since its a great way to meet people and also develop yourself.

Brenda

Harold Washington College is a very nice college. It might not have all the things that other big colleges do. The professors that I have met are very nice. The process is simple. Getting help is very simple and finding things on your own is not difficult at all. There might be some problems, I am currently having my own difficulties but overall the college is great and very cheap if you want a place to start.

Brenda

BJ

Harold is way better than I thought! Community colleges are often demonized, but Harold has some quality teachers. Compared to the other CCC campuses, Harold has the most committed students. It's right in the heart of the loop and is an amazing school.

Matthew

Harold Washington College is a community college. You get exactly what you put in, college isn't hard if you do the work and prepare yourself. I have had bad professors as well as really good professors. That being said I believe it is a good way to get your core requirements out of the way or to transfer on to a different program.

Javona

Obviously this is a "City College" so there is no campus no campus food etc. Chicago downtown was my campus. Harold Washington staff are dedicated to helping their students succeed. Every professor I've had are super passionate about the subject they taught. There are a few clubs to join and work study jobs to do. Participating is the ONLY way to make long term friends. I loved my school I gained relationships with most of my professors. The general education at this school is even more rigorous than a university. Take your pick and save your money here. :)

Eduardo

I am a first generation student in my family to attend college so it was very nerve wracking. However Harold Washington College took me in and helped me along the way through the use of faculty and staff and made my experience at Harold rather enjoyable. I don’t think any other group of individuals work as hard to get their students on track like the ones at Harold Washington College.

Veronica

This is a great idea for students who need a good start. It's an affordable community college that is friendly, challenging, and accessible to most people living in an urban area. It is highly suggested to students looking to get the best and most affordable education. Spend two years here, get your Associate's, then transfer elsewhere for half the cost. General education from here is a good way to get a collegiate foundation.

Alexandra

Harold Washington College has been the safe haven that I never knew I needed. Although it is a community college, this school deserves so much respect. The faculty really caries about their students, the professors make themselves readily available to students for anything from academics to personal problems. I feel that I built friendships not only with my peers but with my professors. Before attending Harold Washington College, I was suffering from didaskaleinophobia (fear of going to school) which meant that the mere thought of being inside a classroom brought terror to my veins. My first semester I took all online classes and with the help of my professor, the wellness center that HWC provides for its students, and my therapist, I saw myself in a classroom the following semester. My professors never stopped to check in with me and they honestly provided such a warm atmosphere to their classes. My academic advisor was also one person that always looked out for me, she helped me pick classes that went towards my degree and gave everyday advice on how to prepare to transfer to a university. This college helped me not only to achieve my academic goals, but my human growth as well. The various clubs and organizations they provided helped me to meet others and to learn more about myself and what is going on in our everyday life. I am proud to say that I graduated from Harold Washington College and I hope that HWC gets the recognition it so deserves.

monika

It is not a fancy school, there are not many decorations or posters, but there are good teachers and helpful staff around. I take many online courses and the website is neatly organized and easy to use so online classes are fairly simple. I believe there is a HUGE push to incorporate diversity within the academics at the college.

Cindy

My class size is fairly big. My teacher is strict but I guess discipline is beneficial in the long run. He is also fair. Workload is very manageable. The course may be fast pace but there is a whole week to study. I like the location of the college, nice area. The college is very clean. I feel secure there because right in the entrance there is a security desk with the least two or four security men. I like how it is up to date in technology.

Veronica

The reason i’m thrilled over Harold Washington College is because of my music professors. They’re a huge part of my life and have helped me reach my goals. I have a great amount of respect towards my music professors because they have great intentions and always want their students to succeed even after Harold Washington College.