Claremont, CA
Claremont McKenna College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Claremont McKenna College

Stephany

I am a first-generation college student, so coming to college in the first place was a really big deal for me. However, I have never felt more at home and comfortable, and I know I have made a great decision. People here seem very happy and they will help if you need anything. Although this is a school where most were in the top of their class, there is little to no competitive culture here; people are not afraid to help you here - students and teachers! Thinking about life after college if a HUGE thing here. If you are not interested in going to grad school right away this school is amazing. Our career services center is amazing! You can just walk in and they will help with anything from resumes to job opportunities. Diversity is something the school needs to work on. Our neighbor school, Pomona makes us look very white and I think that there needs to be more color on campus. However, everyone seems to get along with one another and racial discrimination is not an issue. Party scene: Parties always going on. There are college held parties which are fun, but the casual parties are really fun when you are with a great group of people and have a shot in you. Sometimes they can be boring depending on the music. People dont have good taste, Academics are great you get what you pay Beautiful weather Great gym Great food

gabriella

Claremont McKenna College is a great school if you are looking for the small school environment. The total undergraduate student body size is only 1,200 people. Although a very prestigious university, it certainly has its downfalls. For example, there is no Greek life neither at this school or at any of the other schools in the Claremont Consortium, so if Saturday night frat parties are what you had envisioned for your college, don't count on that at Claremont McKenna College. Also, it is an NCAA Division III school, so football games likely won't be an attraction at the school either, unlike many bigger, Division I school across the country. Another unattractive quality of Claremont-McKenna College is the fact that 92% of students stay on campus for all four years of their undergraduate degree. While this statistic does not mean that you are required to stay on campus, it does mean that most of your peers will be. Overall, Claremont McKenna College offers a world class education, but with many shortcomings in other areas of the college experience.

Kathrine

Overall, I love CMC. Although I was nervous about the elitist attitude of a small, expensive liberal arts college, I've come to realize that that's something that will be found at any school, and there are plenty of other low-income and first-gen students who can understand what its like, but at CMC, it is a matter of finding those people. Academics are amazing, and you will always have one on one time with your professors, who truly want you to do well. The culture can be a bit competitive, especially if you're talking about future plans or summer internships, but I feel that that culture has at least pushed me to go beyond what I would normally do and put more effort into my life. There's also great study abroad programs here!

shengyue

Silvia

I love the academic environment, but the social scene isn't my favorite because Claremont is a big party school. Although I have friends here, I don't fit in as well because I'm not much of a party person. However, this school has an abundance of resources, research opportunities, and professors are always available for office hours.

Michaiah

The training ground for business leaders and politicians.

The training ground for business leaders and politicians.

High school is all about spending long hours in class and a few hours studying and on homework. College is just the opposite. You are responsible for educating yourself at this point. Professors are mainly there to support you in the process and to field your questions. Their job is not to educate you as much as it is to help you educate yourself. Understanding this will help you make better time management decisions. Spend a whole lot more time studying and educaing yourself.

If you want a well rounded education at an institution where you'll never be in a 300 seated lecture hall then CMC is for you. If you're interested in government, politics, business, or finance, CMC is for you. If you dont want to be limited to the resources of only one institution then CMC is for you.

Victor

Jocks. For the most part, yes. But at the same time, no. We are a VERY academically focused school. With a 10.8% admission rate, there is really not too much room for anybody otherwise. At the same time, a majority portion of our students are student athletes that compete in the D-III teams, club teams, and intramural sports teams at our school, which is one reason we stand out in the consortium, and it is one thing that brings everybody on campus together rather than splitting us apart. I, for example, only play intramural volleyball, but knowing the importance of sports to a lot of the students always gives something to talk about or trash together :)

Oh my. Everything. WOA, TNC, Monte Carlo, the Wedding Party, Toga, Inland Fund, ASCMC (student government), MUN, Mock Trial, etc. I mean there is really no end to what you can do and once somebody gets it started, everybody wants in.

Abigail

I love CMC! I doubted the reality that it is one of the happiest schools in America until I got here. From the moment I arrived I was surrounded by the most amazing and friendliest people I have ever encountered. We are fortunate to be a part of a small school with small class sizes, inclusive social events, and a huge array of opportunities while still having the benefit of the other 5Cs right next door. I go to a different dining hall for each meal and can always find something I love to eat. Honestly, I eat better here than I did at home!

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I toured a lot of colleges around the country. My older sister attends an ivy league so it was natural to start looking there. Although I saw the benefits of being at one of those universities, as soon as I stepped onto the CMC campus I knew that this was my place. The community that we have here is unsurmountable. We are considered one of the happiest colleges in America for a reason - I have honestly yet to talk to anyone who is not in love with this school. Being around such motivated but also happy students makes for a much better college experience. The weather also did not hurt.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

It really depends how you best focus. I like to collaborate with my friends and be in a more social environment so I spend a lot of time at the Hub. The library is also a great place to get work done as well as the Reading Room. Classrooms are also open for a private study space.

There are a few stereotypes of students at CMC. One is that they party hard. This is definitely true but it does not seem to get in the way of school work. Also that there are more Republicans were in comparison to the average liberal arts school is probably also true. This creates a great atmosphere for debate and discussion about political issues.

The students know how to work-hard, play-hard. They are incredibly friendly and accepting all of people. They are also some of the busiest people I have ever met. From academics, extracurricular involvement in clubs and organizations, and maintaining a social life, it is a wonder how they still still have time to stay up to date on House of Cards.

The academics are challenging but rewarding. The majority of the class sizes are small and taught be extraordinarily engaging professors. The few larger classes we have (which are still considerably smaller than would be found at a larger university) have breakout sessions for more one on one help. All of the professors have flexible office hours and truly want you to succeed. There is definitely a lot of work but it is manageable and for the most part very interesting. One of the biggest changes from high school is that my peers are all equally as engaged in each class as I am.

Isabelle

Dear High School Senior Self, Do everything. Enjoy yourself and your last year of high school. You may not think this right now, but this is the easiest part of your life, anything and everything after high school only gets harder. Get a job. Do all of your schoolwork the best you can and on time. Do volunteer work. Join clubs and meet people outside of your circle of friends. Going into college, there's not going to be very many people you know, so by meeting new people, it'll make this easier for you to do in college. College life is quite different than high school life, you have more responsibilities and teachers are not going to constantly remind you to do your work or tell you that you need to work harder otherwise you're going to fail. Get in the habit of doing assignments when they're assigned, don't procrastinate. Study more. Everyday. Don't let anything hold you back from accomplishing things that you want to do. More importantly, have fun, in both, your senior year of high school and when you enter your college life. Sincerely, Your Future Self, Isabelle

Ortal

This school focuses a lot on hard work, good grades and being social.

This school focuses a lot on hard work, good grades and being social.

Very cheerful, fun to be around, educated and intelligent.

My path to higher education has been that of a “non-traditional” student. It took me seven years following my high school graduation to be able to attend college although it had been my goal since middle school. My parents live outside the U.S. and neither is college-educated nor currently employed. Unfortunately, my parents do not support my desire to attend college, become a scientific researcher and professor. In fact, they are opposed to it. For these reasons, I needed to create a life of my own and become emancipated before applying to college. I graduated high school with honors and worked multiple jobs simultaneously until I had saved up enough to afford the first year of school. If I could go back to my time as a high school senior, I would tell myself to be more social. In high school, I was focused solely on working and getting good grades. Claremont McKenna has a socially driven student climate, and developing social skills in high school would have made it easier to acclimate.

Claremont McKenna College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.