Claremont McKenna College Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

Victor

Jocks. For the most part, yes. But at the same time, no. We are a VERY academically focused school. With a 10.8{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} admission rate, there is really not too much room for anybody otherwise. At the same time, a majority portion of our students are student athletes that compete in the D-III teams, club teams, and intramural sports teams at our school, which is one reason we stand out in the consortium, and it is one thing that brings everybody on campus together rather than splitting us apart. I, for example, only play intramural volleyball, but knowing the importance of sports to a lot of the students always gives something to talk about or trash together :)

There are a few stereotypes of students at CMC. One is that they party hard. This is definitely true but it does not seem to get in the way of school work. Also that there are more Republicans were in comparison to the average liberal arts school is probably also true. This creates a great atmosphere for debate and discussion about political issues.

CMC students are extraordinarily driven. Most of them have a desired career in mind upon arrival, and those that do not will more than likely adopt one soon after. The core of the student body chose CMC because they believed it would be the optimal gateway to their desired career. We like working, playing sports, partying, and markets. In short, CMC'ers are young aspiring investment bankers, lobbyists, or entrepreneurs.