Vancouver, WA
Clark College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Clark College

If I was to go back to my high school senior self; I would probably tell myself to get into college right after school and probably go away for college. I wish I was able to experience college a different way, like acutally living on campas, seeing/meeting new people. I would tell myself to ask around or research more about careers because going into college I never knew what excatly what i wanted to do.

I wish I would have known my options and I wish I knew what was available for me.

I'm not sure? People that are just wanting to take classes for fun or wanting to learn something new. People doing running start, and people wanting to finish GED

kaitlynn

Take your time and think about what is is exactly that you want to go into before you start to attend ccollege, also make sure that you know how much money you want to spend and if you want to go into debt during school or pay it all of as you go.

I have really enjoyed the access to teachers and student tutors that are available to the students at Clark Campus. There is a wide variety of places for a person to study and research any class information that needs to be done. The buildings are very up to date.

I love that they have a watter bottle dispenser to fill up water bottles and save plastic.

Brett

I think Clark College is a great school. The Fitness Trainer is especially great. It is obvious from the instructors that are in the program that the program director has high expectations for this program.

The stereotype is that it's a community college. That the students are passing just by being there. I think this stereotype is completely inaccurate.

There is a wide variety of students at Clark.

The academics are what students make them. The opportunity for them to be successful is there if they decide to apply themselves.

I brag about the freedom of class scheduling and about the fun and interesting classes I am taking.

I wish I knew more about finicial aid options and the overall process of registering for college.

Catherine

First off, listen to the counselor when he tells you what specific program you should be studying. And whatever you do, avoid checking out any books for that program ahead of time because it will only freak you out. Study hard, do your homework, don’t miss a class and when given special assignments, such as research papers, be as creative as possible. Originality is a good trait to have and to keep. It will help you be a more productive person in the long run. Have fun, but make sure you leave enough time for homework. Keep a calendar for due dates because you are assigned a lot more to do than you are used to. Find a productive way to take notes for lectures, because as many professors will warn, most tests are based on their lectures. Don’t rely solely on memory, especially if you are taking a full load; even going part-time can be complicated sometimes. Good luck!

Most of the professors are well informed on their subjects and they teach them well. The professors are very approachable, and most are very helpful. They want you to succeed.

Rebecca

I wish I had known that almost any experience can have a positive effect on a person, as long as they are looking for the silver lining. Though community colleges can be considered "less than," and it can be intimidating to take classes at such a large school, Clark College is a wonderful school. The best thing about Clark is the professors. I have had many good professors and also some amazing professors who have changed my life. Overall, the faculty and staff are looking to positively impact the community and strive to do their job well.

The most frustrating thing about Clark College is that because the school is so big, it can be hard to get plugged in and get information quickly and efficiently. Students really must personally look for ways to get connected with fellow students and take advantage of the events or even start their own clubs and they also must be very proactive in getting advising help right away. There is help available, from professors and other faculty, but students must be willing to work for these opportunities.

Transitioning is often very difficult. It’s scary dealing with so many unknowns and “what if’s.” Not only that, but you must become accustomed to new people, surroundings, and norms. Looking back now, I see that change is a common, good, healthy part of life, and especially a student’s life. The advice I would give to students transitioning into college would be this: everything will be okay. It’s really that simple—in the midst of college applications, the SAT, graduation requirements, and a million other things, it’s easy to get overwhelmed and wonder, “is it worth it?” But, remember that after the hard work, there is often a great reward and that as long as you are striving to grow, learn, and serve, the rest will fall into place. Even as we feel like we are flailing, we are really swimming ahead, making new memories and small progress towards so many adventures—adventures in the form of new friends, places, lessons learned, relationships, and teachers. Regardless of what life throws at you, keep your eyes on the education you have worked so hard for and remember to never stop following your dreams. The rest is history.

Kimberly

I think it is really important to know where your wanting your life to go before starting college. If I could tell my high school self one thing about college, I would say to wait and find what you really want to do. In high school I did not know what I wanted to do with my life but I felt like the next step had to be college. I thought about being a teacher, but inside I knew I was just picking a career to get it done. After high school I ended up getting a job and my own house. I honestly believe this was the best thing I could have even done. In high school students are told that college is needed and going to be their next step in life. This can make students feel lost and very stressed if they do not have a life long plan at the young ago of 17. In short I would tell myself that while college is importent, poeple should never feel like they need to rush into it. I would say waiting is okay and that college is amazing when you have a goal you are working towards.

Clark College only has a few down falls. I believe that the biggest down fall is the simple fact the that community colleges are not highly respected in society. Despite this troubling fact, Clark was shown that a community college can actually be one of the best places to learn.

At Clark College I have found most of the students to be hard-working, open minded and dedicated in each and every class.

Tia

Located in a city that is not necessarily considered diverse, Clark College strives for and celebrates diversity and has introduced me to a variety of different cultures, art, and superior acedemic curriculum. The campus feels totally intuitive and accessible, and is conducive to studying, socializing and appreciating the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Nothing is more frustrating then the parking, or lack of parking, at Clark College. Imagine heading to class only to find yourself circling parking lot after parking lot only to find absolutely zero parking spaces available. Your option... either parking eight blocks away or arriving to school thirty minutes early to find a spot. Perhaps I should get involved in the transportation committee to seek out new innovative solutions.

I would tell my high school self that grades are important but not as important as learning the concepts at hand. Getting the full understanding of the material and nurturing the spirit of intellectual curiosity is what makes for a rich and full experience, not a letter in a grade book. From a tactical prospective, I would tell my senior self how critical it is to develop strong time management and organizational skills to combat the ever present, teenage staple of procrastination. While I always seemed to pull it out, turn in the paper, get a good grade on the test I crammed for, I have learned that waiting until the last minute might appear to work in the short term, but it?s only cheating myself and causing undue stress. I would tell myself to be prepared as I transition from the comfort of my parent?s household out into the real world because there is so much to learn about being an independent and responsible adult. Finally, have fun, live your life fully, and appreciate your parents in the last year of high school.

Raymond

Clark is a two year community college, but the quality of education is high. The instructors all seem to be very good at what they do, and would not be out of place at a larger four year college from what I have seen. It has been a fantastic, budget-friendly, alternative for the first two years of my undergraduate education.

Your education is in your hands. Take hold of it right now. Do not wait for college to begin, or someone to come along and show you the way. If you want to get a degree in agriculture, start learning about it now. Go to your library and ask about local opportunities. Check books out on the subject. Track down local experts. Experiment and grow something. Do anything and everything you can to take learning into your own hands. You will get out of it exactly as much as you put in. This is the crux of college education. It can be an amazing and powerful experience if you are prepared to take charge, take responsibility, and take action. If you are not prepared and self-motivated by the time you arrive, you will soon be overwhelmed. This advice may seem obvious, trite, and passing. I guarantee you, however, that it will be vital to your success, not only in college, but presumably throughout the rest of your life as well. Also, don?t forget to enjoy the ride, you?ll do great.

I wish I had known about administrative delays at Clark College. Fill out all the forms you need early. Get your paperwork in early. If you feel there might be a hitch in the system that is causing delays, go talk to the sppropriate department, they will not notify quickly. This will in turn cause more delays. I wish I had known to be completely on top of all administrative matters regarding admission, registration, and financial aid.

Kristina

Clark College is best known for their University like education. Most Clark students do transfer to a four year institution to obtain a higher degree. Therefore, the administrators and professors structure the curriculum as a stepping stone to University. They really make sure each student has a strong base and foundation before continuing on. The class sizes are small; allowing more one on one attention between students and professor. Clark also provides its students with additional support, free walk in tutor sessions, tutors in specific areas, and flexible office hours with your professors.

I remember the night of graduation, my greatest and only fear at the time was to not trip on stage. It seems ridiculous to me when I think back and not tripping was my only worry. However, at that time I felt that I was prepared for what College had to offer. Time and time again, everyone warned me of time management and the increased work load. But, I was not aware that those would not be the only things to change. If I could go back and talk to myself before that night of graduation, I would not tell myself of the expected changes but rather the unexpected. Like the unexpected change in relationships. Maintaining relationships with childhood friends and family was a struggle. College kept me busy even on the weekends; and I had spent most of them studying rather than going out. I also, spent a lot of time working to pay for college. The expenditures of college were really unexpected. But, the greatest unexpected change I realized was, how fast college goes by. Before I knew it I had completed my first term. From college I truly learned the value of time.

The worst thing about Clark College is the parking. City buses are provided however, the majority of the students drive. When the school was first built it was not designed to accommodate such a large population. Now, over the years as the population increased, the parking situation gets worst. A number of people I know have to come at least an hour before their class begins to look for a parking spot. Those who find a spot on campus are the lucky ones too. There are some like me, who park at the local community center and walk to campus.

Clark College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.