Clark College

« See more reviews of Clark College

Dear Jessica, Hi, this is you three years down the road and in college. When you graduate apply to Clark, don?t worry about the 4-year universities that your friends are applying to. This college will get you transfer credits that you can take with you at half the cost. To save you time I?ll tell you now, you want to be a nurse so do great in your classes and get the best GPA possible you?re going to need it. Yes you really do need to study 2 hours for every 1 hour you spend in class, the teachers aren?t joking. Oh yeah, start saving your money now! Everything! Heads up mom cannot help you pay for college, you have to do it. So don?t waste your money on frivolous things, we can do that after we graduate. Enjoy your last year of high school it?s the best. After graduation be ready to hit the ground running, I know we can do this. You?re stronger then you know right now and capable of a lot more than others have lead you to believe. I?ll see you in the mirror babe.

I chose to go back to school when I was 27 years old and it has definitely been a struggle to overcome obstacles such as being a single parent and not doing very well in my high school years. If I could go back and tell myself advise it would be to think before I act and know where I want to be in 5 years. At that age the last thing on my mind was my future and I have paid the price for it since. As I have held a GPA of 3.75 in college I wish I had applied myself in high school more and wish that I had the confidence that I have now. I would tell my past self that no matter what anybody else says, I ultimately know what I want for the future and that it is obtainable and not as hard as I was told by others. I knew deep down I was worth a great future but I guess I needed the right person to tell me; perhaps I myself am the only person that could have told myself there are great things out there and work to achieve them.

First off, listen to the counselor when he tells you what specific program you should be studying. And whatever you do, avoid checking out any books for that program ahead of time because it will only freak you out. Study hard, do your homework, don’t miss a class and when given special assignments, such as research papers, be as creative as possible. Originality is a good trait to have and to keep. It will help you be a more productive person in the long run. Have fun, but make sure you leave enough time for homework. Keep a calendar for due dates because you are assigned a lot more to do than you are used to. Find a productive way to take notes for lectures, because as many professors will warn, most tests are based on their lectures. Don’t rely solely on memory, especially if you are taking a full load; even going part-time can be complicated sometimes. Good luck!

The most important piece of advice that I can give you as a high school senior, is always plan ahead. You may think that you are prepared now but you really need to think about who you are as a person and think about what you want to do and what you think is good for you not what others want for you. When you are in college, really think about the classes you want to take. You may think that you need to please others but that is not true, do what you want to do and don?t care about what others think. College is a hard but no matter what never give up and make sure you always work as hard as you can. Never give up just because you think you can not do something, you are just as smart as anyone else, you just may need to work harder than others. Also always work ahead, that will get you were you won?t stress out so much.

I would give myself the advice to learn more effecient study habits because I believe if I would have studied better in high school it would have made it easier to study and learn the material in college. I would have also given myself the advice of getting involved and taking advantage of the free tutoring and classes that would have furthered me in college and would have eliminated the amount of classes that I needed to take to catch up in college, especially math. I believe that if I would have challenged myself more with studying and math I would have been a little bit further in my educational future than I am today. I have no regrets though and by attending college I have really pushed and strived for myself to be the best student I can be and in return I have had a wonderful experience in college.

I think the biggest thing i would say to myself is DONT WASTE YOUR TIME!!!!! why are you wasting time sitting around and doing nothing with your life, just pretending to be cool, sitting in the back of the class room. Not doing your homework, not studying. I saw that i wasted so much time that i could have put into my career, and chose my career instead of waiting for it to pop up in front of me. I didnt want to work in a fast-food place, i want a career that i can wake up and love to do the job i do!!! - Thats probably the biggest thing, dont waste your time, and your life on silly things, think of the future, because you dont know the day you might not be on this earth anymore.....make today count and tomorrow even better.

If I was a high school student right now, I would probably make the same mistake I did when I was a high school senior. But if I could change that knowing what I know today, I would go to a bigger university and grow up. I was way to scared when I was a high school senior to leave my friends, family and boyfriend behind to go to a major University, but I wish I could have to enjoy the college social experience. From visiting and talking to my friends from high school that are attending a major university now, it seems like it would be a lot of fun but I missed out on that opportunity, but the great thing about attending a community college is I won't be in so much debt, but that's about it.

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior i would tell myself to do exactly what i am doing now. I am a high school senior right now but instead of staying at my high school i am going to the community college earning college credits along with high school credits so that when i graduate with my high school deploma in june i will be one quarter away from having my 2 year degree, my AA from clark county community college. so talking to myself right know i tell myself to keep pushing and keep striving to do good in school and earn the best grades i can possible get.

In high school I wasn't ready to take on the tasks one has to in order to be successful. I wish that I could tell myself to just buckle down and get done what needs to be done, but I didn't listen to others saying the same thing. If I were to speak to high school senior me, I would have to tell me that putting oneself under so much stress is going to be a hindrance for years to come. I'd try to communicate the importance of doing what you love, but it would again fall on deaf ears. I wouldn't have it any other way though. Without the mistakes I've made, I wouldn't be who I am now.

I would tell myself to really focus on scholarships. I never thought about filling out any applications because I didn't really care, but it would have been nice to save money. I am going to Kent State in the Fall this year, and I have to work a lot to help save up for going to a university. I could afford to pay for Clark College, but a university, especially one that is out-of-state, is costly, and hopefully FAFSA and scholarships can help me. I would also tell my senior self to take classes and seminars to learn about college and scholarships, because I have to teach myself now.