Clayton State University Top Questions

Lahronda

I have had a long time to contemplate this question. I am a 41 year old wife and mother, completing my undergraduate degree. I began school back in the fall of 1992 and had a few mishaps along the way. Over the years, I have learned that is extremely important to recognize opportunities and to take full advantage of them. Youthfulness is a profound advantage and opportunity, use it wisely. I would tell my younger self to, yes, have fun, but do not fully commit to anyone or anything but you. And in the midst of that commitment, find the balance between you and humanity – whatever your goals and dreams are the world needs you to accomplish them. And finally, be gentle with yourself. We all make mistakes; give yourself room to grow through the mistakes. It’s ok. The only tragedy is when you do not learn from those mistakes.

Randi

Its important to stay focuse and dont allow unnecessary obstacles get in your way. Concentrate completely on your degree, set goals and take the proper step which will help you in the future. Become a diverse individual and gain knowledge from various professor. Form connection with people that are active in your field and dont be closedminded to different opportunities. Study and alocated enough time to your work because its important to make yourself knowledgeable in your field. Be strong and dont give up on your dreams.

Jessica, Being an athlete that went on to compete in college, I have many things that I would tell my younger self. For one, be confident, not only in sports but in school as well, you are capable of more than you think. Do not procrastinate, procrastinating will get you nowhere and you will end up getting an 89.6 instead of a 90 and college professors don't round. I know you re a slow reader but start reading and get used to it, start liking you books. Lastly, embrace every moment because it is only here for a short time. Trust your gut and go with the flow, college is supposed to be a once in a lifetime opportunity that most people don't take advantage of. Once you do all of these things the rest is yours to figure out. Your future self- Jessica

Akil

All right, Past Akil. I need you to listen up and listen carefully. During your first semester of college you will meet some fascinating people. Their characters will make you grip to them and hold on for your dear life. You'll lose yourself in the joy of their presence and what you believe to be the muddledness of their personality. Here is your warning: Imagine these people complexly. Work painstakingly to do this. Think of them as more than captivating storybook characters, but as people with actual concerns, desires, and fears. Do not lose yourself in your interest in others. Keep reading books. And don't make any promises you can't keep. Love, Future Akil

Jamelia

Don't let ANYONE tell you what to do. This is your life, and at the end of the day, only you can live. Mother doesn't always know what's best. Don't be afraid to grow in your relationship with God. Get your license as soon as possible. I love you. I always will. You'll find the right guy, but don't get caught up on finding him. Work on yourself first.

LOC

If I know that have to take this many general courses (60 credits total) for two years, I'd take as many AP classes in my high school as I could and really studied the materials in order to get at least a 3 on the AP exams. Then I'd have much more time to focus on my major-related courses or take interesting courses such as Drawing and Computer Science. Moreover, I'd try my best to apply for many scholarships because college is really expensive. I have to buy everything myself, for instance books (super expensive) and scantrons along with other writing utensils. Furthermore, I should get a part-time job, so I can pay for gas and grocery expenses. Speaking about food, I should have learned cooking because eating out frequently is not economic and very unhealthy. And I need to stay healthy for fight cramming nights preparing for the exams and others projects in college.

sonja

If I could go back in time I would tell myself to stay focused and concentrate on completing your degree. There will be plenty of time to parlay and play around on the days there is no class and you are secure in your field of study. It is important to finish what you start and take your grades seriously.

Dear Victoria, College is much better than high school just hang on a little more. The people in college are older and more mature. The professors actual like it when you talk to them. The workload is not half-bad and the chairs in some of the classrooms swivel! Also everyone is nervous. So get outside yourself and greet people, act like no one is a strange and all was have a soccer ball in the car. The soccer ball has created many special moments. It has allowed me to meeting new people, build relationships and to have professors come over and start talking about world history. When specking with your professors show honor and respect, this way they think your smart and will help you out with papers that are due for their class. You will also find that many students are just there for a grade, hold close the idea that grades are not everything and that life after college will not be depended on grades alone, but on the person you have become throughout college. I wish you the best of luck in college and no worries you go this. From yours truly, Victoria

Carla

If I could got back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior this is what I'd say: "Carla, it's a good idea to go ahead and go to college immediately after you graduate from high school. I would advise you to go into the Armed Forces so that you can gain your college education, all while serving your country. College life is much different from high school. In college, you're expected to do everything on your own. In high school you are given some freedom, but still have someone there to hold your hand, sort of. In college it's different. It's to your advantage because this will give you a taste of what you will experience when you have graduated and are navigating your way through corporate America. To be the most successful in college, find that one professor that you can befriend. It would be to your advantage to glean all of the information that you can from them- as they have been where you are trying to go. Most professors are more than willing to share information that will assist you in your studies, career and graduate school choices."

Hailey

If I could talk to myself as a highschool student, I would tell myself to just breathe. Do your best academically, and don't get involved with all the highschool drama. Highschool is not a simulation of the real world, nor is it the same type of work you'll do in college. Do your best. Practice making friends, but don't freak out if your social life isn't perfect. It only gets better. Don't do anything stupid, that you'll regret. Your life is not over when highschool is over, so enjoy what you can and don't sweat the little stuff. And get started on applying to schools and taking tours, they help the most!

The best advice that I could give my high school self would be to really take the time to focus on school. I wish I had not taken a semester off from school. The one semester I took off turned into 14 years off. I would not trade my life; however I do wish I had gone to college right after high school so that I could truly do something that I am passionate about. I truly feel that my heart and soul needs to get a college education so that I may make my son and husband proud. I want to be an example to my son that I can do anything if I set my mind to it.

Frederick

Knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition from high school to college life I would tell my then "fresh out of high school" self, "I know you really excelled in high school and have graduated as an honor student in the top ten percent of your class so CONGRATULATIONS!! Now, listen to me very carefully, DO NOT rest on your laurels and think that because you excelled in high school that college will be a breeze. You will need to really focus and apply what you have learned in high school in order to succeed in college. It's okay to have a life and occasionally go out with friends socially but remember that you are going to college for a reason. You have to excel in order to be competitive in the employment market when you graduate. Mediocrity will not be rewarded! Your classmates are your competition so accept this challenge and show up everyday to classes and give your VERY BEST self. You many not have this opportunity in your lifetime again to focus solely on school as later in life you may have other responsibilities with family, etc. Seize the day!!

Resheema

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition I would give myself the advice of don't hold back and build lasting friendships that would last a life time. I would tell myself to not be afraid to go out and get in certain clubs or try out for different activites. I would tell myself make friends, real friends, and hold on to them and build relationships and bonds that are unbreakable because during that time is when you need them the most and definitley after graduation.

Edlin

The most important advice I would give myself is to focus. There is so much freedom and things to do while in college it is very easy to get off-track. I would tell myself to set goals periodically, and do my best to achieve them. I would also stress the importance of freshman year. A terrible freshman year can really make it difficult for you to end up with a quality grade point average. And lastly, I would tell my self to enjoy it, because once it is over you will definitely miss it.

Sylvia

I would tell myself to get informed of the new environment, faculty and resources available, which will aid in making concrete decisions about course work. I would immediatly get connected with my advisor and get to know him/her and create an indvidual plan, so I can complete college succssfully and on time. Getting involved on campus and joining clubs , such as PTK, will help give a sense of connection to the college. Offering to volunteer to be a student leader also benefits me and I would get to know other students who are entering college. I would immediatly seek out resources, such as tutors, to ensure that I can get help when I need it for classes I struggle in. There are job opportunities on campus to fit into my schedule. Over the past two years, I engaged in the student community and found this to be the most immportant link to my success. My advice to myself would be, to create the best learning environment for myself which is tailored to my needs. Over the past two years Instructors, staff, peers and even the Dean have become like family to me. This spells success. I am worth it.

Juwan

Advice to myself would be too learn how to study and learn how not to procrastinate.

Marie

If I could go back and talk to my myself as a high school senior I would remind myself that school isn't really over in the 12th grade. Degrees are important in tis competitive job market. I would tell myself to figure out which subjects I like and compare them to jobs that are expected to grow. I would also tell myself to withdraw early if there was any doubt about finishing a semester. Lastly, I would tell myself to look at the lifetime maximum amount awarded for financial aid. I would encourage myself to live on campus and participate in a work study. I would also tell myself to stay surrounded by people who are as serious as you are. I would laso tell myself to wait to get married and start a family until after I graduated, preferably with a Masters of higher. If I had done these things I would not have wasted six years in college, only to run out of financial aid my last semester.

When I was in high school, the only reason I made good grades was to make my parents proud. I was always told that if you have good grades, you will get a job. If I had the chance to talk with myself as a senior in high school, I would sit down with myself over tea and give the following advice knowing what college is like now. My first piece of advice would be to start doing more research into colleges and what they have to offer. While it is nice to know what a college has in terms of student life, it is more important to know what academic programs are offered. Another word of wisdom I would offer myself is that a degree is meaningless if you don't know what you are going to do with it. I would explain to myself that you should find out what you are going to do with your life by volunteering or doing internships and get a degree that will help you get there. It is important to start research into degrees early rather than later. By following this advice, I should have been more prepared for college.

My main advice would be to know what you want before you start going to school. Going to college right after high school felt more like an obligation rather than an opportunity. Because of this, I didn't take college seriously when I first started attending college after graduating high school and I basically flunked out of college. I spent years after that bouncing from job to job, but I was never going to find a career that way. While having that experience made me appreciate and take advantage of my educational opportunities today, I wish I had been able to realize then that I was not only able to complete my education, but that I would be successful in that pursuit.

"Advice to my high school self" Ashley, don't listen to the people that mean to hold you back. You are much smarter than you give yourself credit for. If you could only see how well you are doing now, you would begin to believe in yourself. There are no limits to how far you can go in life. You have just as much of a chance as everyone else. You are stronger than you know, and you will come out of your horrible family atmosphere and grow into a successful, strong woman. You will use the painful experiences that you have endured in your favor as you get older. You have been a successful hairstylist for 13 years now and you are making straight A's in school. You could have done this all along. Never doubt yourself again. Push forward and don't ever look back. You have recieved several awards for your academics recently, and this will only continue as long as you push yourself to be the best you can be. You did not deserve the life that was handed to you, and only you can change your future and break the cycle.

I would tell myself to put more emphasis in what I would like to do with the rest of my life, before I start school. I know that most people say that your time in college is a good time for you to grow, and find yourself. However, I never found my "calling", there was never that dream career for me. Instead, I just aimlessly changed my major 3-4 times hoping I would find something I liked. Well all that got me was a probation from the school I was attending. I ended up getting a decent paying job(at that time, and age), and so I figured I would stop school and just work. Five years later, I am married and have one year old, and needless to say the decent paying job wasnt so decent after a couple years, I couldnt make anymore money without a degree. Now I am back, a little older & a little wiser. I know what types of jobs I don't want to do, and what will make it easier for success..education. If I could go back, I would tell myself to make it a priority pick a career first.

Khaliyq

Hello Khaliyq. I am you from the future here to give you some advice as you get closer to that next step in life. College. I know you like to do everything last minute. But when it comes to getting college materials together you need to start now. Start applying for scholarships. No matter how long the essay is it's worth applying for. Always check in with the college you are going to make sure everything is set for you to go so you won't have to make any last minute calls. I know this sounds like a lot for just a transition but it's worth it. Now Khaliyq when you know you have an assignment due and you really want to go to a party choose the assignment. Parties will always be there. Work is the most important thing. I'm not saying don't have any fun but make good decisions when it comes to getting you work done. Please do not procrastinate either. If you take all of this advice to heart everything should go smoothly. Enjoy your senior year and good luck. Goodbye.

SADE

Be serious about the classwork. I am getting over one hurdle but there is a bigger hurdle ahead. Don't be afraid to ask questions in class or to talk to your professor. If the school offers tutoring or writing assistance utilize it.

Saquorya

Always pay attention, so you will know things and know how to study and get as much help as possible ...

You do NOT have to attend a 4-year institution right out of high school! Although, going to the local community college doesn't sound as cool, it will save you a lot of money in the long run. With the emergence of the Studnt Loan Debt Crisis, students have to make more economic-conscience decisions when financing their education. Attending community college for your first two years and then transfering to a 4-year institution in your third year can cut your debt obligaiton in HALF! Community college might not sound cool now, but you will be in better shape after graduation compared to the 'cool' kids ducking lenders as they demand repayment! Also, just say NO to private student loans!!! Sidebar : I really wish I had a mentor to give me this advice as a HS senior. it would have saved me a TON of $$$....and headaches.......and pre-mature grey hair !....did I mention a TON of $$$! Thanks!

Anastasia

I’ve changed very much since I graduated high school, so I’d have a lot to say to myself. First, I’d say that I was in for a long haul. Since graduating, I’ve been orphaned, homeless, and working full-time to barely make ends meet. I’d tell myself to start meditating, and to thicken my skin, as if I were an immovable bronze statue. But most of all, I’d tell myself to hug my mom a little tighter, and to put of college for a year. I’d be able to record her stories and songs. I’d ask her about everything I could, while I had time. And, eventually, I would be able to say goodbye on my own terms. I lost my mother suddenly and wasn’t even told that she was in the hospital- she passed away within one day of being admitted. And I’d tell myself that no matter what, I’d be okay. Life would get better. I’d grow up and lbecome a stronger person. I'd say that it's okay to cry, but to continue moving forward and to push until the walls came down.

Xavier

I would tell myself to KEEP YOUR MATH GRADE AT a B or HIGHER because math is not one of your strengths. Work on scholarships none stop from 9th grade until the day you graduate. Visit the colleges you are accepted to and decide whether you like them. GET a JOB! Begin to figure out what you would enjoy doing for the rest of your life and take classes accordingly.

LaTonya

The advice that I would give myself is trying to stay focused on what you want out of life because college is hard and you must stay focused to achieve and accomplish the things you want out of life. Being a tranditional student, I see many young students flunking out of college before their first year but if they take their time and study their class work they will be more likely to succed while in college.

Saket

“Never stop believing in yourself because, in the end, you are all that you can rely on in the world. Learn to be patient with yourself and know that giving up is never an option when it comes to education” are the words that I would passionately deliver to my past self. Since the beginning of my university experience, I know I have made several mistakes. The most scaring of those mistakes include being too arrogant and neglecting patience. During the tenth grade, I decided to tackle the SAT because I thought I would do extremely well. After receiving less than expected scores, my confidence was waned. I could not bring myself to retake the SAT, in fear that I would not meet expectations. This fear kept me from attempting other ventures, so I began dual enrollment at a mediocre school. I stayed at that mediocre school which was a daily reminder that if I had pushed myself, I would have done better. Though going back in time is not possible, I am more confident in myself now that I have realized my mistakes.

Debbie

The advice that would give to myself is to attack education with a fearless attitude,and to believe that i can do anything that i put my mind to. I would prepare myself for the opportunity of a lifetime to grow personally and academically.

latasha

I f I knew now what I needed to know back then I would have did alot of things differently. I would ask for more help and stop being afraid of the help. I would have did more scholarship applications, further research on how the school helps the students to adopt. I would've pray every step of the way. Met advisors who would steer me in the right direction. I should've have had a plan layout set out for my schedule to study and relax , an take my scheduled assignments more seriouslyso i can be done with it soon instead or delaying them. I would have told myself back then that I needed to stay focus and continue making good grades, studied hard, meet people who were on the same page of education level you are on. I would have stay motivated and encourage when it really matters, mostly the tough times . As a senior my direction to succeed should have been at a serious level but I didnt have the income to be that best I needed to be so that I can to apply to colleges, retake the SAT and ACT.

Jeanelle

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself one thing. Do not slack off. College is not at all like highschool. Highschool is a place where you can get by with last minute cramming for a chemistry test or skipping class. College is not at all the same. If classes are missed, it effects your grade. If you try to study five minutes before an exam, well, chances are you will not be recieving a good grade for that exam. In order to succeed in college you must try your hardest. Even if it means you have less of a social life, in the end you'll have a degree worth mentioning and be able to prosper in so many things as an adult. College is the most important part of your life proccess. So you must do your best in order to become the best.

Martin

As a time traveler on a mission to persuade my high school self I would use life my current life experience to prevent myself from waiting college time. I would tell myself to take advantage of courses offered by my high school and not let the 7 community college credits available walk away. As a senior I had two classes that not only qualify as high school credit for graduation, but jumpstart your IGET-C transferable credits in two subfields. A 10{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} transferable credit courses should not be waited by anyone, but the time has passed and I wasted that time. Beyond that I would inform myself of the bumps along the way to a transfer and tell myself to focus and not let anything keep me from tranfering to a four year university in less than two years. Time is precious and it never comes back, 5 years after graduating from a California high school and never have I been closer and moving faster than the last two semesters. My main objective would be to scare myself into a focused education.

Chaltu

I would tell myself to take my school work seriously. I would focus on the importance of education and the bright future it promises. College is not boring. Life long friends are also made in college. College can open the door to the future. There are social groups and programs that will give the opportunity to travel the world. College education changes the way you view life and helps you get involved in the community. Education gives you freedom to what you want to do in life. One thing on one can take away from you is education. College helps you find ways to stand up for the less fortunate and helps you find a way to improve your life and the life of others. Friends and future business partners can be met in college. In college you can meet people from different face of the earth. You can learn different cultural values that can help you be culturally sensitive. In college you can broaden you talents. There are different departments that can help you reach your dreams. If you have love for music or arts, there are classes and ways that can help you reach your goal.

Cynthia

Assuming I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would give myself serious advice! Knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, would lead me to advise myself, "Do not start the college process if you're not serious enough to finish it!" Choosing to go to college is not a decision to make lightly or to make because "all of your friends are doing it." College is a serious decision! If you are determined to go to college, give it all you have. The transition from high school life to college life will be challenging and intimidating; including new responsibilites, new levels of course studying, and forming new associations with many people of different ethnicities, ages, and cultures. Don't fear...college life will get easier with the familiarity of your campus and your college routine. Also, know the difference between those who have and those who do not have your best interest at heart. Remember to accept constructive criticism from college Professors and don't listen to others who negatively criticise and discourage you. Believe, Trust, and Rise to meet your goals and aspirations!

Lyndsey

The advice I would give my high school self about college would be to go ahead and do the Medical Transcription Program right after high school. You do not want to wait four years after you graduated from high school. If you wait that long, it makes it harder to go back to school. You would not want to go back school, but you need the education. By going to school for the Medical Transcription Program, you will have a full time job with good pay. You will be able to save you money, buy land, and have a house built. By doing the Medical Transcription Program after high school, you will be to start sooner on all of your future plans. Lyndsey Brown Roane State Community College

Norman

Back in High School in my native country Honduras, gpa was not a big deal. I had no idea I was going to study abroad. I would tell myself to not only try harder in my classes, but to get involved in different kinds of activities such as recycling, sports, etc... My school did not have much to offer. I would have told myself to get advice from my proffesors since most of them got their degrees in the United States.

Stefanie

If I were capable of going back to myself in the senior year and giving knowledge to help in the transition to a higher education, I would tell myself to start preparing during the beginning of my senior year and not to wait because I needed so much information that I did not have. I would tell myself to file for the FASFA by the end of February because there are more scholarships and grants that's deadlines are due before the actual FASFA due date. I would also tell myself that I need to be patient and trust in my capabilities because self-doubting can cause self-esteem problems that will interfere with my goals. I would also let myself know that all people are different; that not all people carry the same view of the world. This meaning that reality is open to interpretation. I would do this is because I would let my younger self know that not all people will agree on your opinion and that is what allows for diversity and individuality and to make myself not start college out trying to get others to see the same view that I do.

Maxine

If I could hold a conversation with myself, going back in time, I believe the best advice I could give my self would be: "Keep your eye on the prize". I would encourage me and tell me that while things may be tough at the moment, I have the fortitude to stay focused and finish the task at hand. I'd tell me that many of things that I think mattered then, may not really have mattered ten minutes later, ten days later or ten years later. I would tell myself that a little setback, was exactly that, a little setback. Failures are not forever. You're going to great! Believe in you!! "Keep your eye on the prize"!

Fanee

I would tell myself to go in with a clear mind and stay completely focus. College is not the same as high school where you could study the night before for a test and still do well. It's all about consistancy and persistance. Have faith in yourself, do your best, and choose your friends wisely. If you follow these guidelines then you will do just fine because I believe in you!

Shanise

If I could travel through a time machine, I would tell my senior-self similar things that I told myself in 2008. Which were things like always work hard, believe in yourself despite all your circumstances, forget all doubters, and keep your eyes on the prize, “college.” I have always been a dedicated student, inside and outside the classroom. Sometimes it discourages me to have worked so hard and seemingly, achievements are far off. I graduated fourth in my class, and I applied for scholarships endlessly. Earning a few scholarships, I often imagine if I had only landed bigger scholarship opportunities that affording college would not be so challenging now. Though in 2008 my writing was effective, I would proclaim to the younger Shanise to take some writing classes outside of school, maybe the essays I wrote were not grammatically correct. I worked my butt off, believing that those who put a lot into school got a lot out. I want to prove this as a factual statement not a myth. I am a supreme lover of education, though my journey has been slower than I would have liked, my persistence ensures me that my due season is up ahead.

Chase

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self, I would want to give myself some advice. Although I am happy with choices I have made, I could only imagine where I would be if I had an opportunity for this conversation. I thought I knew everything there was to know about the world. If I had the opportunity, I would wish to talk to myself about how things really were and what I needed to do to proceed in life. I would tell myself to do more to prepare for my future and also to have more fun. I would talk to my former self about things that could make my future easier, like scholarships and activities. At the same time, I would tell myself to relax, enjoy myself, and be certain in the knowledge that hard work will pay for itself. The time I wasted in high school worrying about relationships, education, and my own ego could have been split evenly into working more and enjoying my time more often. If I had experienced this conversation between my two selves, I think I would be even more established at the current date.

I would tell myself not to panic. We build this idea up in our head about the world and how we should conform or not conform based on what the culture we suscep ourselves too. "It'll be ok, Justin!" Confusion is such a powerful notion in high school, I would tell myself to take a step back and enjoy the fruits of my hard work. That my dreams can happen if i put my heart into them and although everyone around me is telling me to be proud of my accomplishments. I must not boast. "Be humble, Justin." The only way to live your life is to die for something greater. To have faith and transcendence in your life to overcome any negative reality that may present itself. "That’s what character is, Justin” Lowering yourself to be risen up again, to openly look for ways to improve yourself and the environment you’re in. To never lose heart or focus, the things you Love will be the life you live.

Janki

My purpose of attending college was to facilitate me in future with my career. After my Biology degree, I will continue my education with Doctor of Pharmacy Program. The benefit of education is that I can not only help my community with knowledge I gain, but I can also counsel my patients on the best, cost-effective pharmaceutical therapy for them.

Jay

I am a college student hailing from a low socioeconomic background. I statistically had a low chance of having success in my life. My college experience has been a path of enlightment. I attended college part time for about two years during 2001-2003 and have just recently returned to complete my degree. My college experience has taught me how to be a contributing member of society and to be grateful that I live in a country that promotes education and high work ethics. When I obtain my middle grades education degree I will be so happy to share knowledge with the future leaders of America. I have loved every minute of school and learning and I hope that my opportunity to attend college will not be taken away due to finances. Because of the knowledge I have learned at college I volunteer with a family that has foster children. I have learned from my experience at college to not run from my poverty stricken past, but rather to embrace my experiences and learn to implement those experiences into my teaching practices, or pedagogy, to make the material relevant to those from similar socioeconomic backgrounds. Thank you for your consideration.

Stefany

I have learned many things while attending Miami Dade College. The transition from high school to college was easier than expected and I feel Miami Dade College has helped me prepare myself to move to a bigger university. A 2year college has also helped me develop many skills I lacked while in high school. My studying skills are better, I have learned to manage my time wisely, I feel I am now ready to attend a bigger university. I did not feel ready right out of hish school. I started my education at Miami Dade College but to exceed and prepare myself for my career as a psychologist higher education is necessary. I am looking forward to moving away, focusing on school and applying all my newly acquired skills at a bigger university.

Candace

I have gotten so many great things out of my college experience so far. One of the main things I have received is awesome friendships. I have met so many amazing people at college and a few who I will be friends with for life. I have learned better communication skills by meeting new people and becoming more independent. I have learned so much from awesome classes at my college and love going to college. I have learned how to work harder and to not procrastinate by going to college. It is a lot different then high school. It has been valuable to attend college because it provides me with an education that can increase my earning potential, so attending college will help get a higher paying job then I could get by not attending college. Also a college education is a requirement of many professional jobs. A bachelor’s degree is a minimum credential for teachers, and that is what I am going to be so college is very valuable. Another reason why it is of value to me is because nobody in my family has attended college and I want to be the first to get my degree.

The best and most valuable tool I got out of my college experience, is direction. Clayton State was the place that I officially decided that being a Professional Counselor was what I wanted to do with my life. I grew a passion there to persue my dream. I became an adult in college, as I attended Clayton State just after the death of my mother. Before that, I was a 2 year student at Ga. Perimeter College, and I was still very dependant on my parents. I was forced to grow up and start making a name for myself, and Clayton State provided me with some much needed structure in my life. I felt lonely, and sometimes confused and even depressed. But, through the Psychology program, I found a new direction for my feelings and was able to channel them into something great for my life. One of my first classes I distinctly remember, is Death and Dying. Through this class I was able to express my feelings about my loss, and learn how to deal with them in a constructive way to improve my life. Clayton and the Psychology program was definately the beginning of a better promising future.

Marquia

So far out of my college experience I have learned to not be selfish and I to be responsible of my own actions. My mom is working in Kabul, Afghanistan to earn money to support and put me through college. She did not attend college when she graduated high school. Through her and attending college, I am seeing the importance of a college education. I also see how import it is to be a responsible student. I have many friends that recklessly party and are uffering the consequences. Some have gotten police citations and now have courts dates to attend and fines to pay. Some have lost there financial aid due to there behavior or drug/alcohol use. I still have as much fun at partys with out drinking or doing drugs. This makes it clear that doing that stuff is not more important that my college education.

Kayleigh

My college experience has been pretty decent. I've learned to be responsible and take things into my own hands. I am responsible for going to class everyday and getting notes and information on my own in order to do well on tests and quizzes. Also, I had to teach myself how to study because in high school, I never had to study. Basically college has allowed me to grow up and get out of high school mode.