Clearwater Christian College

« See more reviews of Clearwater Christian College

The most important thing that a parent and students should do when looking for a college to attend is to really take the time to research the school and plan a time when you would be able to visit. I never visited a college when I was in high school and I regret not being able to see what college was like. It is so important that one finds out whether or not a college suits their personality or whether it is not fit for them at all. Depending on what one whats to study, if they want to play sports, or if they want to be more involved from an artistic stand point; all these facts should have an impact on the decision on which college to attend for the next for years of your life. I transferred several times, and it was because I always seemed to hear something better about a different college so I just decided to transfer and see what that school was like. So again, take the time to really research and visit a school so you don't waste your time transferring and losing credits!

I would tell myself to follow my heart even if my parents are not on board. I would say that teaching is my dream and my passion and that I should go into math ed instead of physcial therpay to begin with. One big piece of advice is to really study, becuase college is so different from high school and you have to study to do well, but not forget your social life; you have to have balance in your life to do well. Also, yes the school has rules but they are for your benefit. I realized that the teachers here while they are hard they really do care about you as a person and want you to do your best. Also, do not take biology because science is not yor strong point but don't give up because you don't want to be struggling to pass. Finally, i would tell myself to listen to what my parents say, they were in college to and know what their talking about and call your family and talk to them. They miss you. I did not come to college to find a soul mate but to get an education.

High school seniors think they know it all. When I was a high school senior, I thought I knew all I needed to know academically and mentally. If I could go back in time, I would tell myself that I do not know everything. I would tell myself that living eight hours from home is more difficult than I thought it would be. Not having parental supervision is not all I thought it would be. I would tell myself that I could not even begin to imagine how much more I could learn about academics and simple every-day things in life. I would advise myself to develop better study skills, because while schoolwork is overall easy in high school, it would not be so easy in college and I would need to know how to study in college. Finally, I would tell myself not to be so consumed with being liked by others. I would tell myself that college is full of differnt people and I need to be myself, rather than what others want me to be because there are too many people to please in college.

The first year of college is not that big of a change from high school academically. However, getting adjusted to living with lots of people is very difficult. You must learn to share, communicate, respect, and be friendly. This part of college greatly aids in helping students grow up and mature. Even if there is an alternative to living on campus, it is a good idea to try living in a dorm at least one year. This is a great time of maturity for students. The coursework gradually gets harder as each year passes, but it will normally ease you into the worst classes and work. Drinking is a big part of many college students' lives, but you don't have to join in. It is a habit that can lead to many awful things later in life, and people will respect you if you say no. Be willing to stand up for your beliefs and don't let people push you into doing things you don't want to do. To get adjusted to college, just take each day as it comes and do your best, but make sure to have fun!

Right before I left for school, I learned a very important truth that, if I could, I would go back in time and tell myself. It would have saved me a lot of frustration and worrying during high school. I was reading my Bible one day and came across the familar verses, Proverbs 3:5-6: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths." I would go back and tell my younger self this: "Don't worry about your future. Just trust in God because He knows what is best for you. He already has your future planned out; He knows where you will be going to college. His plan is way better than your own so don't worry about it. Just trust in Him and He will lead you where He wants you to go. " I spent so much of my time worrying and questioning what God was doing. I wanted to be at CCC but it seemed like He did not want me there. Then, He provided the money for me at the last minute.

If I were to go back and have the opportunity to see myself as a high school senior, this is what I would say: nothing. The reason for this is that I have been doing very well my first two years of college. I have been awarded Outstanding Psychology Student of the Year, I became and officer of the Psychology Club, I had a great volunteer experience with patients with brain injuries, and I became a member of the honor society Phi Theta Kappa. Socially, I have made the best friends I have ever had and have gone through great experiences.If I were to tell my high school self any of this, what would it change? Maybe I would have taken these achievements for granted and not worked as hard. Perhaps I wouldn’t have branched out the same way to meet the people I have. I do not wish to risk that. Instead I would look at the younger me and smile in reminiscence. She would ask about her future but I would tell her nothing. I would just be happy for what I know she has ahead of her.

Be prepared and even over-compensate for how much work you think you will have to put in. Be careful about partying too much and/or staying up late all the time. Know what you believe; this will get you through a lot of tough times relationally, academically, and in your own spiritual life. Not knowing where you stand on religious issues or who you are, can lead to a lot of struggles, so take the time to come to a conclusion on these matters, if possible before you start college. Enjoy the potential of making friends with more mature (compared with high school) peers with common life views and pursuits. Also, don't be so obsessed with success in academics that you miss the golden opportunities for making friends that could last for a lifetime. Having a balanced college life is a very important aspect to focus on. Develop a list of priorities and take practical, active steps to implementing them. Honor God above all else and He will provide everything you need.

Ashley, I know you are having a blast but grades do matter. Your highschool friends may define your world right now but they will soon move on with life just like you. New friends will take their place and as your world changes (yes, I know it is hard to imagine but it will happen) your frame of referrence will begin to steadily grow and new ways of thinking will take the place of your current frame of mind. Not only will your frame of referrence become larger but you will be forced to grow in other areas as well such as emotionally. You will learn that you can't call Mom every time something goes wrong and that the times you can you will appreciate her advice and realize that you should have never taken her or the rest of your family for granted. So please, though all you are living for right now is next friday night, please pay more attention to your grades and spend more time with your family, because if you don't you will regret it later.

I have learned so much about myself while being at college. It has shown me how important it is for me to be organized, focused and responsible. Balancing all the different responsibilities and aspects of college is such a dramatic change from living at home with my parents while attending high school. I've had to learn to prioritize, and especially not to procrastinate. Obviously I am here to get a good education in order to have a good career in the future, but I have learned so much more than just academics. Living with other dorm students has also taught me a lot of patience and self-sacrifice. Being in close quarters with strangers has forced me to learn to quickly make friends and to appreciate what we have in common. Overall, even though I haven't quite been here for a full year, I have learned so much from being at college, and I hopefully will come out in the end after 4 years as a better, more rounded person for it.

Here are some suggestions to help you when you are picking a college. Make sure you pick a college that has the major you want. If you are undecided, pick a school with a wide selection of majors. In doing so, you can have many different majors to pick from when you finally decide on a major. In college, you must spend time studying and paying attention in class. If you do not, your grades will suffer. Also, obtain as many scholoarships as possible and find a college where there are a variety of scholarships available. Money should be spent wisely, and the more help you can receive, the better off you will be. If you choose to go into medical or law, the wisest choice would be attending a well-known college. That way, when you apply for a job, the company will recognize where you were educated and also recognize the quality of your education. All these factors should be taken into consideration when chooseing a college.