Clemson, SC
Clemson University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Clemson University

Meghan

My favorite two aspects about Clemson are weather and football. They're both amazing. If I could change one thing about Clemson, it would be the parking situation, I'd build a parking garage in the middle of campus underground. Clemson is the perfect size. Most people from my hometown don't know much about Clemson so they don't react much when I tell them I go here. I spend the majority of my time in my room, other than when I'm in class or out socializing. There is barely any "town" to Clemson other than a tiny strip of bars and restaurants. It's still a nice area though. I haven't had too much contact with Clemson's administration so I can't say much about it other than the fact that I haven't gotten the best attention/advice from the two advisors I've talked through during the last two semesters when it comes to choosing classes. There is a ton of school pride here, another thing I love about Clemson. The best feeling I ever got here was on my first day here (from Connecticut, not knowing anybody) three people said hi to me while we were walking down the sidewalk, three complete strangers, and it just felt so good because I've never felt so included before. Most frequent student complaints deal with parking, opposite sex escorting in single sex dorms and visitation hours.

I don't think that any student would feel out of place here at clemson, we have it all. People from other countries, bisexuals, lesbians, blacks, whites, hispanics, southerners, northerns, etc. Most students wear pants (jeans and/or slacks) and a shirt (t-shirt, sweatshirt, etc) to class, although you wouldn't be looked down upon if you wore something else. Some people go more comfortable and wear pajama bottoms to class and others dress up and look extra nice. In general, I don't think that different types of students interact but they're not against it, they just aren't given the opportunity so they don't interact. Most Clemson students are straight out of South Carolina, but there are a lot of people from Atlanta as well. However, the out-of-state ratio is increasing substantially over the years. From my experience, it seems that many people come from lower-income families as the majority of south carolinians I know are here with a scholarship. Most students politically aware and active, I couldn't say what party most are involved with.

These stereotypes are true for some people but not all.

-Sports fanatics -They think they're better than anybody -Very southern

The most popular organizations on campus are Greek Life and varsity sports. I'm involved with Alpha Chi Omega, a social sorority on campus. Sororities and fraternities are huge, but there are still other things to do if rushing isn't an option for you. Most students leave their dorm doors open if they are not working on homework. Athletic events are HUGE--especially football and baseball, along with the tailgating that comes with. Guest speakers are not as common, but when a big one comes they are very popular (ex. Obama). Theatre is almost non-existant, although I have been to one show. The stage was tiny as was the seating space. My best friend is my roommate. I don't date much but if you do date, most people go downtown to eat. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I'm either studying or at a sorority/fraternity function. The biggest tradition is the football players running down the hill right before the game.. It is the BIGGEST 30 seconds ever. So much fun. People party all the time--everyday is a perfect day to party in many students' minds. Fraternities and sororities aren't necessarily IMPORTANT, however, they give all frat boys and all girls many more opportunities to party. Last weekend, I had a sleepover and watched a movie friday night and then Saturday night went to an apartment (to pre-game a little bit) and then to a Club in a neighboring town, Anderson. Of course we had a safe driver. On a Saturday night other than drinking, you could go shopping, see a movie, go bowling/play pool/pingpong at the union or eat downtown with some friends. Off campus is where the mall is and the town Anderson with several restaurants and things to do.

Professors of my smaller classes (30 or below) know my name but in bigger classes they don't. My favorite class at Clemson was English 103, a class required for all freshmen to take. My class was such a tight knit group and my teacher was so friendly and flexible in assignments that she made the class interesting to be in and I looked forward to going to class each day. The amount students study depend on their major- I would say that engineers and chemists have a bit more work than communication and business majors, although everybody does a decent amount of work for their degree. Class participation is common in the smaller classes where it's easier to communicate with the professor. I personally have not had many intellectual conversations outside of class other than with my roommate, but I'm sure other people do. Students are competitive to some extent, but it seems more that we're looking to help each other out not compete with each other. The most unique class I've taken is packaging science. I found it very interesting and enjoyed learning the random information that I would never think to take a class about before. My major is Graphic Communications-I love it. The department head wasn't exactly the friendliest with me when I wanted to switch into the major but he finally let me and now I'm enjoying it a lot. One of the advisors I talked to did not give me much advice at all, which was pretty frustrating but the other one I've spoken to was very informative. However, I ended up in a harder physics class that I was required to take instead of an easier version offered because I was unaware of the options I had. I don't spend much time with professors outside of class other than short informal visits right before or after class to clear up questions. Clemson's academic requirements are fair--they force you to take classes that are for your major and give you a list of 4 straight years of classes to be sure you complete your degree on time. However, this schedule does not give us that much time to take electives and explore other areas, which I am not too fond of. I think education at Clemson is geared towards getting a job but growing from the experience.

Whitney

The best thing about Clemson is the sense of family and community that you get on campus and with the other students.-Clemson is just the right sized school for me, some people think it's too large.-People usually react by telling me they know someone who goes to Clemson and loves it when I tell them I go there.-I spend most of my time on campus in the library or the wonderful coffee shops.-We have an awaesome college town! The transistion from campus to city is seamless here.-Clemson's administration seems very dedicated.-There is a TON of school pride here...it will follow you the rest of your life!-The experiences we have tailgating and at the football games will be hard to forget.-The most frequent student complaint is about commuter student parking.

Most students wear casual, comfortable clothes to class. You also see A LOT of orange.-All different types of students interact with one another.-Dining halls here are not like high school. Sit where you want.-Clemson students are from all over but the mostly come from the east coast it seems. Students are politically aware and active. We've had several candidates visit and speak. There are lefts, rights, and centers at Clemson.

No, we are not all country "hicks". Many students even come from northern states. Yes, we are finatic about our football (not everyone) but a lot of us.

Even in large lecture classes the professor is usually very personal and learns students' names and faces.-My favorite class at Clemson so far was a Lit 212 class. The professor was phenomenal.-Students seem to study a lot here.-Class participation is common.-Clemson students have all types of conversations outside of class (yes, even intellectual ones).-Students don't appear to be very competitive. Everyone is hard working but there is no tension that I have experienced.-My major is English. The staff in the department are wonderful and helpful. I love literature and literary discussions. Any of the professors are willing to engage in them, too.-I have spent time with professors after class when there are lingering questions and thoughts following a discussion.-Clemson's academic requirements are resonable and practical.-Clemson education is about learning and exploring your possibilities but is equally balanced with the priority of preparing you for the career field.

Some stereotypes: That all Clemson students are country/southern Clemson students are crazy about football

I'm involved with CU Student Government Transfer Council. We represent the transfer students on campus and work to improve a students transition into the Clemson Family.-Students in dorms often do leave their doors open.-Athletic events are very popular. Especially football and men's basketball. Guest speakers (such as the presedential candidates that came) are very popular events as well. Theater is wonderful at Clemson, too.-I met my closest friends through student organizations and through other friends.-If I am awake at 2am on a Tuesday it's because I am REALLY behind on an assignment that's due.-Tigerama happens each year which is the biggest student-run pep rally in this part of the nation.-People party every weekend.-Fraternities and sororities are important to the people them.-Last weekend I went to visit my parents.-Saturday nights that don't involve drinking can involve going to the movies, going to the awesome restaurants we have downtown, or one of the many events we have (such as concerts, visitng comedians, etc.)-Off campus...I shop.

Clemson University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.