Clemson University

« See more reviews of Clemson University

There is a lot of active greek life on campus, but less than 30% of kids are in greek life. Club sports are about as popular as greek life and when there are local parades for "First Friday" (usually the First Friday of the school year/First Football Game), both Club Sports and Greek Life are equally presented. Sports school, that term unfortunately gets a bad rep. Yes we are a big sports school and by the time you graduate you bleed orange because of a massive sense of school spirit campus wide. However, Clemson still has great acedemic programs, community service programs, and general student life opportunities. We cannot help being adamant about Clemson sports because (yes to another stereotype), the area is very rural and there isnt always much else to do. Being a rural school there are great areas for camping, hiking, backpacking, boating and other outdoor activities in the Clemson area. But, being a rural school, if you are a big shopper/ mall goer, I would stay away, not a lot of opportunities for that close to the school, would have to drive a bit to get to the malls and more urban shopper friendly areas. Finally being a southern school there is a huge sense of hospitality. You can see it in the sprinkling of gentlemen and ladies around campus, but there are other scenes where that isnt as prevalent. But if polo, vinyard vines and vera bradley make you gag, there is no way to avoid it in class or on campus.

They are to an extent. Even though it is a small town, there is so much to do and be involved in. I personally like it because the university is the town so everyone supports the student body and the culture of the University. Plus Charlotte and Atlanta are 2 hours away and the beach is within a weekend trip. As far as diversity, even though we have exchange students and some ethnic background people, we are a little behind. Our real strength is the diversity from around the US. There is a huge percentage of out of state students, especially from the northeast, which makes it cool to meet and beciome really good friends with alot of different people. Even though Clemson has a southern culture, there are many exceptions to the rule, including me.

#1 is not accurate, as many students at Clemson do care about class and most are very intelligent. This school has morphed into a technologically-advanced school recently, and has distanced itself from its agricultural 'roots' (no pun intended!). #2 is accurate, because students that go to Clemson ARE very very involved in extra-curricular's on Campus.

Like any other school, yes, some stereotypes are accurate and describe certain people but not the vast majority. Yes, for the most part, the girls are southern belles but are incredibly sweet, usually gorgeous, and fun. The guys range everywhere from closet computer nerd to Fratty McGee and everywhere in-between.

In some light, yes. We do drive alot of trucks and SUV's at Clemson. Everyone that visits Clemson notices this aspect. We are definitely smarter than people stereotype us to be because we aren't "dumb country folk". Our cow pastures are not an attraction that people who truly experience Clemson will remember.

Clemson is a small town but it is very untrue about Clemson being boring. I have had tons of fun at Clemson and I am going to miss it dearly when I have to leave. There are a ton of people from around the state, but I also have tons of friends from around the country.

-All greeks are not drunks. The Greek system is one of the strongest groups of students at Clemson and is actually about 20% of the student body. Our student body president is Greek. The only groups who do philanthropies are Greek and we are the largest

Mostly, yes. The student body is large enough that there's a niche to satisfy everyone, but if you're looking for an earthy, diverse place open to lots of different lifestyles or sexual orientation, this is not it. If you like Jesus, you'll be okay.

The part about white, redneck and agricultural is somewhat accurate. Some students do fit this stereotype, but the overwhelming majority does not fit this stereotype. Clemson students are intelligent overall, in part due to the rigorous curriculum.

clemson students to party a lot, but only if you are into that scene. there are a lot of other students that don't party, like me. i'm just not into that stuff so it is easy to find other things to do.