Clemson University

« See more reviews of Clemson University

Professors often try to learn the names of students (except when it's a lecture class with a hundred students). This helps to create a very welcoming atmosphere, that encourages class interaction. The requirements of most majors make sure that the individual student ends up well rounded enough in literature, language, math and science.

Clemson's academics are at a high level and will continue to increase in the coming years. As a part of Clemson's goal to be a top twenty public institution the quality of the professors is also increasing at a rapid rate. The classes can be difficult but there is no doubt in the high level of education that you are recieving.

Most of my professors know my name in my smaller classes. Classes usually do not have much participation that i've been in. some students are just a drain on the entire class because they don't care about learning.

The academics at Clemson are very important to the community of college students. All of the students strive to obtain good grades along with the knowledge of their desired majors.

I studied a LOT my freshman year-more than I should have-but it paid off. Some classes are huge, but others aren't so big. And the professor generally cares how you do.

The professors genuinly care about how you are doing and what you need help on. They offer help every step of the way and get to know you.

Clemson is big on academics. There are all kinds of programs to help students keep and maintain good grades and to ehlp students get their grades back up when they drop. There are so many free tutors and study groups availiable, it's not even funny. My sister, who attends a different college, visited Clemson, and after I showed her around campus, she told me that she could tell Clemson put much more focus on academics compared to her school just by seeing our academic buildings. Whether or not your professor knows your name all depends on you and your professor. If you have a class of 200 students, of course your professor isn't going to take time to remember your name unless you take the initiative and introduce yourself to your professor, ask questions after class, visit him/her during office hours. Most of my professors knew my name because I did these things. If you show your professors that your willing to learn and that you desire help, they're going to take the time to help you and get to know you too. I'm an Engineering major. I didn't think that the material covered in the Engr courses was that hard. It's just that the rules for the Engr courses are strict, and there are a lot of them. For instance, if your homework is stapled incorrectly or your name is in the wrong spot, your homework is thrown away. Don't let that scare you away from Engineering. They're just trying to teach us that we have to be neat and organized. Once you get the silly rules down, there's nothing to the actual homework...well, most of the time. My favorite classes at Clemson have been my math classes (MthSc 106, 108). I enjoy math and find it easy. On the other hand, I found out that I hated Chemistry. Chem 101 lecture isn't that bad...boring, but alright. The lab, however, is a killer. The lab is 25% of your overall Chem 101 grade, and it's meant to bring the lecture grade up. However, it usually lowers it. The Chem 101 lab completely drove me away from anything Chemistry. It might have been that I had a very terrible TA (teaching assistant), but most of my friends hated the Chem 101 and 102 labs. Good luck with those!

The academic environment here at Clemson is one of the most unique in the state and very demanding but fun in the same right. The professors make it a priority for the most part to get to know their students and make sure they are on track and understand that they want the students to succeed but they are going to be challenged in more ways than they actually thought. Studying is basically left up to the individual and their field of study but you will find that most people are constantly studying as it is not just competative here but put on a national scale to be one of the best schools in the nation if not the best and we are well known for our engineering and science program here so people are hitting the books hard to continue to be on the forefront of innovation and research. You are encouraged to participate in your classes as it can only benefit in your growth, so it is tied into the professors curricula for the semesters that you are here. The students are constantly talking about all sorts of things that pertain to their majors but also on other intellectual levels also plus we also know how to unwhine and enjoy the unique culture here as the university offers so much to keep the balnce between work and play plus letting you grow as an adult before jumping out there in the real world. The academic requirements here are very strict and yet accommodating to help you learn and benefit from the growing world around us that will allow you to succeed once you leave this university. The great thing that I have noticed about Clemson is that they keep a very special balance between gearing your education towards the goal of finding a fulfilling and challenging job after graduation and learning the material to have a higher sense of knowledge and sense of accomplishment. The academic experience here is unparalled and can make you into a well round person that can balance so many things once you graduate and during your time here.

Yes, professors know your name, especially if you are one of the people who are constantly showing up outside class for help. Other times, they don't know your name or they will "give" you a name. My favorite class? Eh, too many to pick from. My least favorite? Management. How long students study depends on the student. I know of students who seem to study 24/7 and some who hardly study at all. Class participation is not usually common in a large class, but can occur in smaller ones. Yes, students do have intellectual conversations outside of class. As a matter of fact, their conversations are so intellectual that sometimes the slower ones like me cannot keep up with them and have to spend our time staring forlornly at our dining hall mystery meat. Students are quite competitve as a matter of fact. Well, considering if the class allows them to be. I hardly think that a large lecture only class would show students competing as to who can take the best notes or pay the most attention. The most unique class I have ever taken is the carillon class! Class is held inside a bell tower for heaven's sake. You don't get that everyday. My major department is psychology. Nothing much to see there. Just some white lab coats running experiments and students taking ten-minute surveys. Do I spend time with professors outside of class? Heck no. I mean, they're tough enough in person, let alone being with them alone in person. Well, when it comes to academics anyway. I'd think it'd be cool if students could go bowling or something with their professors. Clemson's academic requirements are the basics. Well, except for the fact that they have a lot of work attached to those basics and some hard-to-understand concepts thrown in every once in a while. Clemson is definitely geared towards getting a job. I'm always hearing how something we learn in class applies to the outside world or a job situation.

Over the course of my two years here I would say about 90% of my teachers learned my name. Sometimes classes are larger and it's harder to remember all those students but they would know my face. If you make a point to talk to your teachers and show them you are interested in class they will learn your name. I loved English 103 and 214 even though I don't really care of english that much I had an awesome teacher so it was great. I also love my management classes (which is good since I'm a management major). My least favorite would be Chemistry. I just didn't understand it but I did have a great teacher so it was a little better. I think it depends on the student and subject. There are some classes I don't have to study a lot for because I just get it, it comes naturally but some classes I have to bust my butt because it's challenging to me. Yes, most professors exprect class participation. Sometimes it even counts as part of the grade! So far the people I have met from my major/department have been very helpful in aiding me in understanding what I have to complete for graduation. I meet with some professors outside of class durning their office hours if I am not understanding something in class or to review a test. (I guess that's what this question means) I think some of the Gen Ed requirements are silly for certain majors but I think Clemson does a great job at giving students the opportunity to choose what Gen Ed classes they want to take. I think Clemson does a great job and gearing things to getting jobs. They host job fairs at least twice a year as well as mandatory interships for some majors.