Clemson University

« See more reviews of Clemson University

Almost every class has a lab section, which sounds like a drag at first, but it's easy to appreciate at the end of the semester given the difficulty of some subjects. In the largest classes at Clemson professors definitely recognize their students, and in smaller classes they will absolutely make an effort to learn everybody's name. Students are very competitive, but graceful in the same respect. The College of Agriculture, Forestry, and Life Sciences is definitely one of the focuses at Clemson. When taking a class in this department professors treat students as adults who have earned their place into that class. As a student you feel respected and encouraged to learn as much as possible about the material. It is obvious these professors believe in what they teach, but more importantly, they believe in their students. I feel very confident about the academic requirements. I wasn't admitted directly out of high school, which is definitely a good thing considering the amount of effort I put forth. Once I transferred into Clemson I realized why I wasn't accepted in the first place; my roommates and classmates and everyone I interacted with around campus was very intelligent and focused. It was intimidating, but now I feel much more capable as a human being and I have my place in a classroom and on campus on equal ground with the rest of the student body.

Academics at Clemson is an attraction which brings students. It was part of the reason I went to school there. To have Clemson University on your degree means a lot in the job market. But keep in mind our classes are not easy. I have seen many people fail out. Also, not everyone is prepared for the work you have to do at Clemson. Come prepared ready to work from day 1. Some of our professors are better than others. For the most part, they really do care about you and your well being. If you are having problems, do not hesitate to ask for help. They are more likely to give you a break and work with you if they know what is going on. If you don't talk, they have no idea that your mother just died, or your boyfriend broke up with you, etc. They are all human. However, with that said, there are a couple of professors who could care less. One organic professor is known for yelling at students who ask questions and is on tenure so he doesn't really care if people pass or not. So watch out for that. You can tell which professors are genuine and which aren't. Take advantage of every odd sounding class you can. My two favorite classes were Tropical Ecosystems Biology (the whole point of the class was to spend spring break in the Peruvian Amazon) and Histography of the Witch Craft Trials.

The academics at Clemson are for the most part really great. I am a Poli Sci major and the majority of my classes are 10-15 people. Obviously the more general classes that you take, the bigger they will be, but for most classes you really can have an option of if you want a big or small class. In smaller classes there is obviously more class participation and I really enjoy the discussions in my classes. Students here are pretty driven and can be competitive but professors are usually pretty helpful and going to your prof's office outside of class will always earn you some bonus points! There are some amazing teachers here with some impressive resumes. Dr. Benjamin (I had him for econ 211 and 212) is really great. His class was prob 250 kids because everyone really wants to take him but he is a great teacher and made econ incredibly interesting. For most of your classes you are really going to have to study, but it is not going to kill you. I remember being in high school and wanting to cry when I heard about college kids studying for 6 or 7 hours at a time. But it really isn't that bad and nothing can replace the feeling of doing well on an exam that you worked really hard for.

Professors all know my name and when I'm not in class. This may not be true the first couple years at Clemson but by junior and senior year classes range from about 15-25 students. Some students are competitive while others aren't. Most of the time if students are at the top of the class people know and will often ask those people for help on homework assignments or help with studying. Clemson academic requirements completely prepared me for moving into the work world. It was not only good in building my skills in classes but my social skills as well. I got a job right out of Clemson in Boston because I worked hard at Clemson. Classes are generally not difficult as long as you don't go out every night of the week. I decided to not go out until weekends and was able to get only one 'B' my whole career at Clemson (2 years) and the rest 'A's'. You have to make a choice because their is pressure to always go out downtown or to parties. It depends what you want out of school, a ton of friends thinking you're a partier or a job when you get out. None of my friends got jobs but they made the best in college by meeting so many people through partying.

Academics are very important at Clemson. Many professors make the effort to learn the students names, which makes it more personal. I was in a chemistry class of 70 and the professor knew each of us by name. My favorite classes are the ones in my major, I'm in Animal and Veterinary Sciences, and I love being able to work hands on with animals. Many students go to SI or tutoring sessions that are free at the library, or just study in the library or their rooms. Class participation is common and usually in the form of iClicker questions. Clemson is a very determined and competitive school, I think this helps you succeed as a student. In my department many of the faculty build more personal relationships with their students which makes it easy to get recommendations and have an adult to talk to. I spend time with professors outside of class since many of them advise the clubs on campus. Clemsons ciriculum definitely prepares you for a job, in my case I plan on going to veterinary school and they have a program specifically for students like me to build the perfect resume to get in, and make all of the prerequisite courses and more.

Well when I tell people I go to Clemson they usually assume I'm really smart. It is a good school academically and it's getting harder to get into, especially for out of state like me. So I like that we are proud of academics. But really once you get in the classes are all different. Some are really hard and some extremely easy. Professors will know your name if you sit on the front row or talk to them. I recommend that even in a class of 200 students. They like it, you get to know a pretty cool professor, and it can help with grades. I recommend visiting their offices as well. Education at Clemson can be geared towards getting a job, but I recommend taking a few classes that are what you are interested in even if you don't want to major in it. Sometimes it's really good to learn just for the sake of learning. Students are competitive. A little too much sometimes. My philosophy is don't worry about the other students and just do your best. But it is good that the competitiveness can sometimes remind us why we are in college...to learn.

Even in large lecture classes the professor is usually very personal and learns students' names and faces.-My favorite class at Clemson so far was a Lit 212 class. The professor was phenomenal.-Students seem to study a lot here.-Class participation is common.-Clemson students have all types of conversations outside of class (yes, even intellectual ones).-Students don't appear to be very competitive. Everyone is hard working but there is no tension that I have experienced.-My major is English. The staff in the department are wonderful and helpful. I love literature and literary discussions. Any of the professors are willing to engage in them, too.-I have spent time with professors after class when there are lingering questions and thoughts following a discussion.-Clemson's academic requirements are resonable and practical.-Clemson education is about learning and exploring your possibilities but is equally balanced with the priority of preparing you for the career field.

Classes are good sizes - besides the intro lecture halls they usually stay at around 20 people. Speaking of the engineering department, they have a general engineering program for first year kids that sucks. It's not really hard but they're extremely hard graders and have really rigorous standards. It's really just to weed people out, I'm going into my sophomore year and I hear it gets a lot better after that first year. I wouldn't say students are extremely competitive - most of the redneck kids don't really care that they're in college they just get wasted in a field somewhere whenever they can. The out of state kids are a lot more competitive - it really depends on the major you choose, for instance engineering has a lot more out of state kids than something that agriculture would. I hear Clemson has really good job hookups after you graduate but I wouldn't really know for sure. There are a lot of internship and co-op opportunities which is always a good thing.

Academics at Clemson are great. I have only had three classes ever that were more than 50 people. For the most part, your professors will challenge you and be very knowledgeable in their areas of expertise. However, there are a few professors who really need to go to teaching school, or at least take a class or something. But, that said, it is really up to the student to make the decision about how well you will do in school. I say that from experience. For my differential equations course, my professor was insanely difficult. I got a 75 on the first two of four tests in the class. I make A's and B's usually. Well, I wasn't satisfied with a 75, so I figured out what scores I needed on the the last two tests and the final exam for me to get an A. It came down to me having to score a 95 or better on all three of the tests. So I did. I studied for about 8 hours for each test, and longer for the final, but I made the grades, and earned an A.

Classes at Clemson are generally small. Most of my classes have about 30 students in them or less. There are the huge lecture classes with 100+ students in them, however, the university is trying to get these class sizes down. I think that students on campus study an average amount. You can see students studying in the library at any time of the day, studying and a lot of times socializing, but I really think the emphasis is to do well in classes and to study as hard as you can. In the English department in particular, class discussions are very common. Most classes consist of students sitting around throwing ideas around and discussing literary theory or literary works with a professor who mediates and guides the conversation. Some of the majors offered at Clemson, such as Engineering or Nursing, are geared toward getting a job, but in the English department the emphasis is on getting an education and learning for its own sake.