Clemson University

« See more reviews of Clemson University

I have had very few classes at Clemson that I have not enjoyed, or at least tolerated, especially since I have gotten into my major courses. Although some of the freshman science and economics classes are large, I my biggest class had 75 students, but I would say the average number is between 25 and 30. Additionally, I have had really good relationships with most of my professors. I have found most to be very willing to help, even outside of class, and have very accomodating office hours. The most unique class I have taken at Clemson was a class on Clergy Leadership in America. It was a special seminar, but it was so interesting. Everyone in that class was taking it as an elective, but it was a great class. The professor has done lots of research and is published on the course, and it was great. Also, in the fall I am taking a history course on the Assination of JFK which I have heard great things about and I am really excited.

Some of my professors know my name, but I'm mostly in big classes, so I don't hold it against them if they don't know my name. My most favorite class is my English class from the first semester and my math classes. I'm good at both and both seem really easy. I'm just a little lazy when it comes to doing the work, but I still like them. My least favorite class was Computer Science 101, and it's sad. Let's just say I may not be meant to be a programmer or whatever they are trained to do. I see students study Sunday through Wednesday. There are a few that study on weekends, only a few. Class participation isn't as common as I thought it would be. Most classes, students just sit there and look at the professors, which I find funny sometimes. I don't spend time with professors outside of class. I'm thinking of changing my major from computer science. Like I said, it isn't for me.

Academics at Clemson are rigorous, but depending on your major, you can get the easy or the more difficult way out of an academically demanding school. Since I was a Science major, most of my classes were in stadium-type settings until my junior and senior years. My least favorite aspect of my major was that the teachers were more focused on their research endeavors than their class. That said, I did have some amazing professors towards the end of my academic career! My favorite class was Entomology (the study of insects) because the teacher visibly cared about the subject and the class. You can definitely get to know your teachers by going by their office hours to talk about upcoming coursework or homework. The education at Clemson is geared more towards learning for its own sake, but if you take advantage of their career services it may give you an upperhand on graduating.

It wasn't until my senior year that I realized how much the professors care about their students. Every one of the professors in my major know my name and gave extremely detailed references when applying for jobs. They are willing to work with you on projects and see you as more of a colleague than a student. Clemson has an intellectual environment. There is a wide diversity of students, and the college strives to bring diverse cultural events to campus. I came from a small high school with relatively little diveristy, and Clemson was a great change. The Clemson application process is very competitive. Not only do they require high grades in high school, but your high school courses are important as well as a wide array of extracurriculars. Clemson strives to attract not only smart students but students who are involved in their school and community.

The classes at Clemson are awesome. Granted, they are tough, but there are so many resources for you to pull from, that if you ever need help, you can find it just like that. Either the professor will help you, day or night, or you can go to the Academic Support Center and get tutoring for FREE! If they don't have tutoring for the class you are taking, all you have to do is get 3 other people in the class with you to sign up for it, and they will find a tutor for you! Most of the professors actively involve their students in class by calling on them by name, or offering to stay after class to answer any questions any students have. I have never had a professor take longer than 2 hours to get back to me if I sent them a question via email. All but one of my professors have given the class their HOME phone number to call if we needed anything after hours!

The academics at any school depend on your major and who you are as an individual. My freshman year was pretty difficult but that is exactly what I expected. Some classes were harder than others to me. I think the general concensus at the school is that all the sciences and maths are pretty hard. The two hardest classes I took my freshman year were Physics 107 and Calculus 106. Now they were both hard for me but I managed to maintain a C letter grade without having to put in really any strenous work in either class. Some of my class sizes, I will admit, were too big. Now one good thing about Clemson that definitely saved me is the amount of free help you can receive. For just about every class there are study sessions and tudor sessions that you can attend to receive additional help. I had to go to quite a few of these sessions and they actually helped alot.

The first seminar classes can be large and overwhelming at times, but the students that cared were noticed by the professors. As classes went on, the subjects became more specific and the classes broke down into smaller, more intimate groups. Professors do not like to teach the whole class, the encourage students to participate and help fill in what they know. Students who wish to succeed will and those who don't will not. Self initiative is important and professors do their best to help everyone. Outside of the classroom, for the more difficult classes, there are 3 hours of supplemental instruction a week from older students who sit in on the class and previously got an A. Teachers are all willing to help, and SI leaders are always around. What I learned in one year of college was remarkable and has truely helped me prepare for my future.

- I wouldn't say many of my professor still know my name now, although they may recognize me. -My favorite class was definite Structure of Fiction with John Warner -Least favorite was probably statistics -Students study A LOT. Hard to gauge how often; I study almost every night. -The English department is sort of in construction at the moment; I don't spend time with profs outside of class; I have no inclination to do so. -I feel that the English department has some serious improvements to make; I also feel that the requirements, especially for my major of Writing and Publishing, are somewhat extraneous and unnecessary. -Mostly, I'd say it's towards getting a job, but being an English major, I've seen little assistance from those in influential positions to help the students

Classes at Clemson are great. Most of my classes are fairly small, but even in the big ones the teachers are more than receptive if you want to talk to them. I am in Engineering and the teachers and advisers are second to none, but the curriculum isn't necessarily what it needs to be; there are too many classes with the intention of thinning out numbers of students. Once you get into the major it is a great experience. Clemson is becoming more and more of an engineering school and the competition is growing in the classroom. I have talked to several engineers in the working world and they say that a degree from Clemson is a very good thing to have when trying to get a job.

Since I am part of the nursing school (one of the best I think), all of my professors know our names, they make a point to get to know us. One of my professors this past semester made us each meet with her one on one some point in the semester (in a class of 60, thats pretty impressive). My favorite nursing class was pediatrics. My favorite non-nursing class was old testament (religion 306). the professors really make the class memorable. Class participationis very common, the professors love feedback. Students are very competitive, but I think it is healthy for our university. The most unique class I took was camping and backpacking. It was just plain awesome.