Clemson University

« See more reviews of Clemson University

Greek life is definitely very prevalent on campus. I am currently involved with Kappa Delta sorority. Most people always lock their doors when leaving the room. Football games are everything here. Everyone loves football and love their tigers. Basketball and baseball aren't nearly as popular as football, but the students definitely go out and support those teams as well. Guest speakers usually have a pretty good turnout, but most organizations require a certain number of people to represent their group at a guest speaker. Plays put on by the Clemson Players are also pretty popular. They usually sell out of their shows. Being from the north, I was very surprised when guys actually offered to take me out on a date. The guys here are definitely southern gentlemen. I met one of my best friends during freshman orientation, I met my roommate through Facebook, and the rest are part of my sorority. If I'm awake at 2 am on a Tuesday, I am definitely studying. Orange Friday is one of my favorite traditions here. On Friday, the entire student body (and some teachers) wear orange to show their Clemson pride. Another tradition I highly enjoy is that on Friday, the dining hall has ice cream sundaes you can make. They're so good! Other traditions include Derby Days and Greek Week. They both revolve around Greek life and are highly anticipated events. This school has a great balance of social life and academics. During the week, it's usually very rare to hear of parties. I personally do not go out during the week and I don't know many people that do. On the weekends, there are usually frat parties. Last weekend, I went out to a frat party, watched a movie, and did some homework and studying. On a Saturday night there is a lot to do. The University shows movies in different places on campus. You can go bowling or play in the video arcade on campus. You can go out to dinner with some friends or just hang in and watch a movie. I usually travel off campus to go food shopping and I tutor and mentor elementary/middle school kids off campus.

The most popular groups on campus are the fraternities and sororities. The two most popular organizations on campus are the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and the Collegiate Club of IPTAY. This club is the athletic booster club for Clemson sports and it guarantees tickets to all sporting events at Clemson for those who join. The most popular team on campus is definitely Clemson's football team. If you have a chance to experience a Clemson home game, its worth it. I was heavily involved with Clemson FCA. I was on an event servant team that planned all the events we put on for the campus. I also was on the leadership team this past year. It is a great place to meet genuine friends and strengthen your faith and start never ending friendships. Students in their dorms leave their doors open and are very talkative with neighbors. Athletic events are the most popular events at Clemson. The most popular guest speakers are the political candidates that we have had in the past. I met my closest friends at FCA. If I am awake on Tuesday, I am either eating, hanging out with a friend, or doing homework. People party every Thursday and most weekends. Fraternities and sororities are not important to me but they are important to a lot of people on campus. There are plenty of things to do on a Saturday night without drinking. You can go dancing in Anderson, SC, 20 minutes from Clemson. You can drive on roller coaster rode with friends. You can have a food fight. You can play rock band with friends. You can cook an awesome dinner with friends after being out on Lake Hartwell, jet skiing all day. you can watch a movie. You can hang out at an apartment, singing kareoke.

The most popular organizations on campus are Greek Life and varsity sports. I'm involved with Alpha Chi Omega, a social sorority on campus. Sororities and fraternities are huge, but there are still other things to do if rushing isn't an option for you. Most students leave their dorm doors open if they are not working on homework. Athletic events are HUGE--especially football and baseball, along with the tailgating that comes with. Guest speakers are not as common, but when a big one comes they are very popular (ex. Obama). Theatre is almost non-existant, although I have been to one show. The stage was tiny as was the seating space. My best friend is my roommate. I don't date much but if you do date, most people go downtown to eat. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I'm either studying or at a sorority/fraternity function. The biggest tradition is the football players running down the hill right before the game.. It is the BIGGEST 30 seconds ever. So much fun. People party all the time--everyday is a perfect day to party in many students' minds. Fraternities and sororities aren't necessarily IMPORTANT, however, they give all frat boys and all girls many more opportunities to party. Last weekend, I had a sleepover and watched a movie friday night and then Saturday night went to an apartment (to pre-game a little bit) and then to a Club in a neighboring town, Anderson. Of course we had a safe driver. On a Saturday night other than drinking, you could go shopping, see a movie, go bowling/play pool/pingpong at the union or eat downtown with some friends. Off campus is where the mall is and the town Anderson with several restaurants and things to do.

Fraternities and Sororities are the most popular to party with. I am involved with Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. When I lived in the dorm I left my door open and rarely locked it when I left. Football, basketball, and baseball are incredibly popular. Guest speakers love coming to Clemson because of the support they receive. The dating scene is very popular when you're a freshman and again when you're a junior or senior. I met my closest friends from my dorm and my fraternity. Tuesday at 2 a.m I am either studying, coming back from a night downtown, or watching movies. Our football players run down the hill every home game, we have MLK celebration every year, HFH builds a house on Bowman field every year for a member of Clemson's faculty, we have a first Friday parade every year when we come back in the fall, and we wear orange every friday for school pride. People party anywhere from once a week to 7 days a week. Fraternities and Sororities are a vital part of Clemson. Over 20% of the student body is Greek and they are more often then not the movers and the shakers. Last weekend I had a SAE leadership conference in Columbia, SC. Saturday night you can go to the movies, attend a number of small groups, or hand out on campus. Off campus you do the same things as on campus you just have to drive to get there.

There are plenty of clubs for even the shyest of the shy out there, and if you give it some time, you can find a group or organization you truly feel connected to and want to join. Trust me. IF you want it, you can find it. Dorm life is just like anywhere else, and a great place to meet people you're freshman year. Athletic events are HUGE, I think clemson is one of the biggest jock schools in the country, hands down. People show up in the masses for women's/men's soccer games (1,000-2,500+), football (90,000), men's basketball (13,000+), baseball (6,000 people+). Mass support. Greek life comprises about 25% of the population. I met my friends I have now from a variety of places...orientation, clubs, classes, sports. You'll find that freshman year especially everyone is eager to meet people and find their potential "new best friend"...trust me. Party scene is just as big as anywhere else if not bigger, especially during football season. Spring time, cops crack down a little more but it's still a pretty big scene. They usually have a good amount of activities/sponsored events on the weekends that don't involve drinking. The Edgar's student union is usually pretty active Friday nights in the spring and includes bowling, comics who come do stand up, pool, video games, etc.

Club Field Hockey: Fun, friendly and family atmosphere. We played about 4-6 games a semester and had a really great record. Open doors: Yes. Events: Everyone goes to everything. Everything is crowded. 2am on Tuesday: if over 21 probably just leaving downtown for waffle house. if under 21 probably either in the library or making a mcdonnalds run or going to waffle house to laugh at the drunk people. Greeks: <30% of population, but they are very active so it always seems like more, not necessarially a bad thing. good parties. guys usually join them because freshman year its hard to get into a lot of parties, expecially frat parties. Saturday night sans drinking: Camping, movies. I loved going to school at Clemson, the social scene is diverse. If you like to keep things simple and are not into big parties or groups there is an outlet for that. If you like to drink and party there is a place for that too. You wont get lost in the downtown scene, its small and intimate and you know half of the people at the bar you are in.

Get involved! FCA is huge, intramurals are an awesome way to get involved, try something new! I had never shot a gun before and joined shotgun club and became an officer. There is so much to do and try that you have to just throw yourself into it. I lived in Johnstone which is getting torn down (sadly!) and it is definitely an open door dorm. You just walk in and take a nap on your neighbors futon when you are too tired to make it to your dorm. Kids go to the lake and swim, tan, pre-game there or maybe go out on a friends boat. Football games take center seat during the fall. You plan your schedule, classes, everything around the game and tailgates. There are stories of people going to sleep early to wake up at 2 am to start tailgating for a 12:00 game!

Social life is so fun. Greek life on campus is huge and pretty much runs the university. Everyone knows or have met everyone. The bars are packed all the time and fraternity parties along with formals, mountain weekends are almost held every night/weekend. Football games and tailgaiting is the best in the country and some of the best times you'll have with your friends. If its not football season, it great to catch a baseball/basketball game or head to the lake and relax at the beach. Everyone is extremely outgoing and fun so I really urge you to not come to Clemson if you are not wanting to meet people. Even thought Clemson students seem to drink alot, there are alot of other things, like festivals, cookouts, and others to attend and meet people.

I do not party. Being in college, that does limit my activities a little but not unduly. I've found a group of friends who do not drink nor party and we usually watch movies, play games, go on hikes, mountain biking, or if their in my major, simply hang on in studio working on our projects together. I do not want to be apart of a fraternity because I do not see a personal benefit in it. Though others couldn't imagine college life outside their frats, in all depends upon the persons disposition for that sort of life style. But I find that life is what make of it, it can be fun in many ways if you think creatively enough, whether your wanting to party, date, hang out with friends or anything else.

The most popular activities at Clemson are clubs like FCA. Inter-mural sports are also very popular. Not a lot of students participate in Greek life but is an important group around campus. Every year the huge rivalry between Clemson and the University of South Carolina is played. Consequently, the sports are very popular. A lot of students are also spending a lot of time in the library. There are also research opportunities available to undergraduate students. If you're interested in something, it is very likely that you can become involved in it or you can start your own club.